PDA

View Full Version : I-A transfers on your team?

Eight Legger
December 9th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Just curious how many I-A transfers some of the top teams in the FCS have currently, or others you expect for next season? I don't believe UR has any, though perhaps I'm wrong. Another reason I'm proud of my Spiders, but also maybe a little wary that we'll have to start playing that game soon in order to stay where we are long term. (We've had them in the past of course, but I can't recall any recently.)

hapapp
December 9th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Of the top of my head, I can think of two. Chase Laws played at West Point and transferred as a QB. He now plays special teams and some linebacker, I believe. Tim Washington is a LSU transfer who plays in a backup role on the DL, though he plays as much as most starters. We also had a LB/DL who transferred from Vanderbilt but they have not given him his release to play so he is sitting out this year.

james_lawfirm
December 9th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Of the top of my head, I can think of two. Chase Laws played at West Point and transferred as a QB. He now plays special teams and some linebacker, I believe. Tim Washington is a LSU transfer who plays in a backup role on the DL, though he plays as much as most starters. We also had a LB/DL who transferred from Vanderbilt but they have not given him his release to play so he is sitting out this year.

I think Chase Laws transferred from Army (Is that West Point?) Also, Julian Rauch, kicker, transferred from East Carolina.

ASU just does not get many transfers. A number of years ago, we had a handful of players from Georgian Military School, a junior college I think, but I don't know what the connection was.

93henfan
December 9th, 2007, 06:24 PM
I don't believe UR has any, though perhaps I'm wrong. Another reason I'm proud of my Spiders, but also maybe a little wary that we'll have to start playing that game soon in order to stay where we are long term. (We've had them in the past of course, but I can't recall any recently.)

We Delaware fans used to say the same thing after Marshall beat us a couple of years in a row in the early 90s with a roster full of transfers. They were the Transfer U back then. I remember people from Colgate saying that about Delaware in '03.

Bottom line is, it's legal, it's a great source of talent, and it's been a proven boost to past champions, so why not go for it? No shame at all in having I-A transfers. Heck, it gives guys like Joe Flacco that were told "you will not be starting for us" by guys like Dave Wannstadt a chance to prove what they can do.

Btw, we have at least three I know of: Flacco (Pitt), Agnone (Pitt), and Talley (Notre Dame).

ERASU2113
December 9th, 2007, 06:38 PM
I can't think of his name but someone transferred to App from Vanderbilt. He was on the D-Line. I think this year is the year he has to sit out.

There was also Marquis Melvin who transferred from West Virginia and came in with Armanti Edwards. I don't think he's a part of the team anymore.

McTailGator
December 9th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Just curious how many I-A transfers some of the top teams in the FCS have currently, or others you expect for next season? I don't believe UR has any, though perhaps I'm wrong. Another reason I'm proud of my Spiders, but also maybe a little wary that we'll have to start playing that game soon in order to stay where we are long term. (We've had them in the past of course, but I can't recall any recently.)

McNeese had 4.

Interesting enough, only one started at FB, until late in the season when injuries forced a 2nd one to start.

McNeese recruited all of them in HS, and they all redshirted at their other schools. None, ever played a down anywhere but at McNeese.

Strange fact with no meaning. xsmiley_wix

RadMann
December 9th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Flacco's case is interesting in that he was recruited by the previous coaching staff at Pitt and when the new staff came on board he was told he would be a backup. I can therefore understand why he decided to look elsewhere. Dave Wannstedt would not release him from his scholarship though, but Flacco was determined and enrolled at Delaware. His family paid out of state tuition the year he had to sit out. He is from a town that is about 45 minutes from the UD campus as well.

thmst30
December 9th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Yea we hardly ever get transfers. I have no problems with the teams that do though, if you can upgrade your team by getting a Flacco or a David Horne, then you should jump at that opportunity.

08Dawg
December 9th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Not sure if he really counts, but Tim Higgins, WR, played for four years on the scout team at Florida, and was able to transfer to El Cid as a graduate student with an immediate fifth year of eligibility. He definitely made his presence felt this year for us.

Casey_Orourke
December 9th, 2007, 10:30 PM
6 Bramow, Matt WR 6-4 235 So. Eugene, OR (Oregon) (South Eugene)
44 Carlson, Christian LB 6-2 225 Sr. Merced, CA (Fresno State) (Merced)
Ford, Tracy WR 5-7 175 Jr Transfer Seattle, WA (Idaho) (Bellevue)
32 Jones, Reggie WR 6-0 200 Jr. Federal Way, WA (Idaho) (Kent-Meridian)
5 Joseph, Reggie WR 6-0 190 Jr. La Place, LA (Colorado) (East St. John)
1 Kirkland, Tremayne WR 5-11 165 Sr. 1 Sacramento, CA (UNLV) (Hiram Johnson)
9 Patin, Tristan CB 5-10 175 So. Los Angeles, CA (Boise St.) (Junipero Serra)
53 Pederson, Ryan LB 6-2 225 Fr. Beaverton, OR (Oregon) (Southridge)
86 Powell, Mikhail WR 5-6 175 Jr. Beaverton, OR (Hawai'i) (Beaverton)
54 Schantz, Andy LB 6-1 235 Jr. Santa Clarita, CA (San Diego State) (Canyon Country)
34 Sobomehin, Olaniyi FB 6-1 230 Sr. Portland, OR (Oregon State) (Cleveland)
84 Tyler, Casey DE 6-6 310 Sr. Edmonds, WA (Washington) (Woodway)
8 White, Brian QB 6-5 225 Sr. Mission Viejo, CA (Colorado) (Trabuco Hills)

This is what I got off PSU's official roster....If I missed a few I apologize....

An article from the Oregonian earlier this year said that Jerry is getting calls from the parents of FBS players inquiring about transfers, but there can't be any announcements till Jaunary.

proasu89
December 9th, 2007, 10:42 PM
I think Chase Laws transferred from Army (Is that West Point?) Also, Julian Rauch, kicker, transferred from East Carolina.

ASU just does not get many transfers. A number of years ago, we had a handful of players from Georgian Military School, a junior college I think, but I don't know what the connection was.

James Hill #7 WR from Rhode Island

sorry, not a I-A transfer:o