PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations Southern Conference...

SuperEagle
December 8th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Next Friday marks the 30th National Championship game since the game incepted in 1978. And the SOCON has clearly dominated the playoffs and should be commended. In the 30 years, a current or former member of the SOCON has appeared in this game 20 times, winning 11 titles with App gunning for a 12th. Wow. I think most intelligent fans would have to praise the SOCON for this incredible achievement. I hope the media, playoff committee and others will give us the props our conference truly deserves. Congrats to the SOCON and keep up the good work.
App, you've got the conference pulling for ya'.

appfan2008
December 8th, 2007, 10:52 PM
yes they do... and way to go socon... a cut above the rest!!!

08Dawg
December 8th, 2007, 11:38 PM
As said above, App's got the whole SoCon pulling for them. Go get 'em!

BULLDOG8180
December 8th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Go App + AE, bring it home to the SOCON.

chattanoogamocs
December 9th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Considering how many the SoCon has won, I guess it is fitting that it be played on a SoCon field.

(even if the home team only gets to see it from the stands :()

FCS Preview
December 9th, 2007, 06:28 AM
Next Friday marks the 30th National Championship game since the game incepted in 1978. And the SOCON has clearly dominated the playoffs and should be commended. In the 30 years, a current or former member of the SOCON has appeared in this game 20 times, winning 11 titles with App gunning for a 12th.
Only if you're counting GSU appearances from before the were a conference member. Which of course, doesn't count.

In reality, this is the 16th finals appearance by a SoCon team.
The conference is (7-8) overall, so they are going for their 8th title.

mrklean
December 9th, 2007, 06:55 AM
Only if you're counting GSU appearances from before the were a conference member. Which of course, doesn't count.

HATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!xlolx

SuperEagle
December 9th, 2007, 08:12 AM

you obviously need to work on your reading skills. I said a CURRENT or former member has appeared in this game 20 times. Now, what conference is GSU currently in? Try to downgrade GSU and the SOCON all you want. The reality is this is the best conference out there whether you want to admit it or not.
GO APPY. Bring home another one to the GREAT SOCON!!!

UncleSam
December 9th, 2007, 08:37 AM
you obviously need to work on your reading skills. I said a CURRENT or former member has appeared in this game 20 times. Now, what conference is GSU currently in? Try to downgrade GSU and the SOCON all you want. The reality is this is the best conference out there whether you want to admit it or not.

The SoCon WAS the best conference, but no more, over the past 10 years the CAA has been just as good or better. You SoCon boys must have gotten carried away with, after 20 years, having a season were there was FINALLY some quality football being played by more than 2 or 3 teams. No cake walk for the big 3 this year, but guess what the CAA has been just like that for the past 10 years.

Uncle Buck
December 9th, 2007, 08:41 AM

I think the landscape of 1AA/FCS whatever you want to call it has changed a lot in the last 30 years. While it certainly is a great accomplishment, your plea for the media to acknowledge the SoCon as the superior conference in FCS seems petty. It almost seems as though you are tired of hearing about the CAA. I could be wrong, but am I?

The SoCon is a great conference with a tremendous track record, but in the here and now, overall, CAA is the best conference this year.

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 9th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Let's agree that the CAA and So Conf are the top two conferences over the last 5 years.

UD - 2003
JMU - 2004
ASU - 2005 & 2006
UD or ASU ...2007

UncleSam
December 9th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Let's agree that the CAA and So Conf are the top two conferences over the last 5 years.

UD - 2003
JMU - 2004
ASU - 2005 & 2006
UD or ASU ...2007

It appears that ASU is the SoCon. :p

bamamountaineer1013
December 9th, 2007, 09:39 AM
It appears that ASU is the FCS. :p

Fixed it for ya...

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 9th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Fixed it for ya...

Take it to the smack board.......xnonox

FCS Preview
December 9th, 2007, 09:57 AM

So you include Marshall as a former member, but also GSU when they weren't a member? It's one thing to include Marshall, because they were in the SoCon...but to say the SoCon is dominant because of what Georgia Southern did...when they were NOT IN THE CONFERENCE....is useless.

Why not also include the statistics of Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Kentucky, LSU, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Tennessee, Tulane, Vanderbilt, Clemson, Duke, Maryland, North Carolina, NC State, South Carolina, and Wake Forest, too? They've certainly accomplished much in the years they were not in the SoCon....

bamamountaineer1013
December 9th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Take it to the smack board.......xnonox

No smack...just playful prodding the week of the championship game... but none the less. Sorry

TheValleyRaider
December 9th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Why not also include the statistics of Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Kentucky, LSU, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Tennessee, Tulane, Vanderbilt, Clemson, Duke, Maryland, North Carolina, NC State, South Carolina, and Wake Forest, too? They've certainly accomplished much in the years they were not in the SoCon....

Eh, not really.... xsmiley_wix

Yosef84
December 9th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Next Friday marks the 30th National Championship game since the game incepted in 1978. And the SOCON has clearly dominated the playoffs and should be commended. In the 30 years, a current or former member of the SOCON has appeared in this game 20 times, winning 11 titles with App gunning for a 12th. Wow. I think most intelligent fans would have to praise the SOCON for this incredible achievement. I hope the media, playoff committee and others will give us the props our conference truly deserves. Congrats to the SOCON and keep up the good work.
App, you've got the conference pulling for ya'.

Thanks SuperEagle. We certainly appreciate the support! We also appreciate you including the pre-SoCon wins by GSU in our stats. GSU has been a great addition and has helped to maintain the quality of the conference.

MountaineerGuy
December 9th, 2007, 10:42 AM
If you include all those other teams, it doesn't change the stat he gave...that current or former members have appeared in blah blah blah.

Yosef84
December 9th, 2007, 10:44 AM

...which of course is why he added the language "current or former." We understand that those weren't officially SoCon wins, but when GSU joined the SoCon, they brought their history with them. It works especially well since they were independants before joining. It's not like those wins belonged to another conference.

Appdad
December 9th, 2007, 10:46 AM
...which of course is why he added the language "current or former." We understand that those weren't officially SoCon wins, but when GSU joined the SoCon, they brought their history with them. It works especially well since they were independants before joining. It's not like those wins belonged to another conference.

Well then, how many national championships does the CAA have by those as members of the CAA?

FCS Preview
December 9th, 2007, 10:57 AM

Yes, they have their history...but it doesn't count as SoCon history. You can't say the SoCon has been dominant because of what a team did...when they weren't in the SoCon! That makes no sense.

You include Marshall, for when they were a member. But you can't say the SoCon is going for their 12th title, when the titles GSU won as an Independent, don't count!

Yosef84
December 9th, 2007, 11:02 AM
It appears that ASU is the SoCon. :p

You only have to go back to 1999 and 2000 to find two more SoCon Championships by GSU. Our 10 year record holds up pretty well. Wofford has also made the semi's during that period. Furman is a consistent player.

Four different SoCon teams have won championships over the past 20 years: GSU, Furman, Marshall, and App. Three of those are multiple winners.

Appdad
December 9th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Yes, they have their history...but it doesn't count as SoCon history. You can't say the SoCon has been dominant because of what a team did...when they weren't in the SoCon! That makes no sense.

You include Marshall, for when they were a member. But you can't say the SoCon is going for their 12th title, when the titles GSU won as an Independent, don't count!

How many national championships do current CAA members have while being in the CAA?:)

Yosef84
December 9th, 2007, 11:06 AM

SuperEagle's verbiage was very specific. "Current or former" teams of the SoCon.

I'm in no way trying to discount the CAA. I'm also not trying to discount the Gateway which is also a tremendous conference. I'm just saying that his language was specific and correct.

Yosef84
December 9th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Well then, how many national championships does the CAA have by those as members of the CAA?

Good point! Technically, those championships belong to the A-10.

nwFL Griz
December 9th, 2007, 06:39 PM
SuperEagle's verbiage was very specific. "Current or former" teams of the SoCon.

I'm in no way trying to discount the CAA. I'm also not trying to discount the Gateway which is also a tremendous conference. I'm just saying that his language was specific and correct.

I don't have a dog in this hunt but I have to jump in here. His quote of "current or former teams have appeared 20 times" implies that they were a conference member when they appeared in the game....purely for the purpose of inflating the stat.

Now, there is no denying the SoCon has been the dominant conference in FCS for at least the last decade, but the quote that started this thread is incorrect.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 9th, 2007, 08:51 PM
The SoCon WAS the best conference, but no more, over the past 10 years the CAA has been just as good or better. You SoCon boys must have gotten carried away with, after 20 years, having a season were there was FINALLY some quality football being played by more than 2 or 3 teams. No cake walk for the big 3 this year, but guess what the CAA has been just like that for the past 10 years.

And yet the CAA still hasn't had as many teams in the NC games.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 9th, 2007, 08:53 PM

The point is to show the kind of programs that have been in and out of the SoCon.

Appdad
December 9th, 2007, 09:07 PM

10 years of history in their FIRST YEAR AS A CONFERENCE! Amazing!

http://www.caasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=48484&SPID=4660&DB_OEM_ID=8500&ATCLID=1136610

AshevilleApp2
December 10th, 2007, 02:26 PM
You only have to go back to 1999 and 2000 to find two more SoCon Championships by GSU. Our 10 year record holds up pretty well. Wofford has also made the semi's during that period. Furman is a consistent player.

Four different SoCon teams have won championships over the past 20 years: GSU, Furman, Marshall, and App. Three of those are multiple winners.

Lets remember that Furman played for the championship in 2001 and made the semifinals in 2005.

ASU88
December 10th, 2007, 03:38 PM
This discussion is pointless without pictures of cheeleaders from all of the schools in question.

Then, the discussion would remain pointless but at least it would look much better!

AshevilleApp2
December 11th, 2007, 08:06 AM

Congratulations to the CAA for a great year. Five teams in the playoffs is unprecedented.

Just some quick numbers. Since the inception of 1-AA (or whatever) Southern Conference teams have played in 16 championship games and won 7. (This does not include GSU before they joined up). This represents 55% of all final appearances, and 24% of the eventual champions. CAA teams have played in 7 championship games and won 3. This represents 24% of final appearances, and 10% of the champions. The CAA has won 42% of its finals appearances. The SoCon-43%. 6 CAA teams have reached the semis without making the championship. Nine for the SoCon.

This year 7 out of 12 CAA teams had winning records (58%). 6 out of 8 SoCon teams had winning records (75%).

While I don't think the committee who chose the 5 teams from the CAA made mistakes in choosing these teams, a win or two by either Georgia Southern or Elon at the end of the season, would probably have gotten one of them in the playoffs.

Both conferences are strong. Go Apps!!