PDA

View Full Version : How Did Chattanooga's Turf get Transplanted at the TUB?

ngineer
September 13th, 2005, 06:44 PM
For those of you who attended the Lehigh/Delaware game (don't know how well it showed up on tv), I thought there was a significant amount of turf chewed up in large clumps--especially down at southern end of the field. For the first game of the year, I was surprised at how loose the turf was. A number of players on both sides tripped or had their feet go out from underneath them. Anyone know the story there?

89Hen
September 13th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Full discussion here...

gohens.net (http://www.gohens.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=387)

ngineer
September 13th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Full discussion here...

gohens.net (http://www.gohens.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=387)

Thanks. Glad I wasn't the only one 'bothered' by it. Somethings up with the root system there. Could be some real 'turf wars' down the road there. Hopefully, it won't cause and serious injuries and become a 'critical' factor in a game--especially when we get together in December ;)

RadMann
September 13th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Well, at least the turf wasn't burned with the words "LEHIGH" like it was by vandals before a game at Delaware Stadium years ago.... lol

Kill'em
September 13th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Funny, the field at Paulson got chewed up during warm-ups. That is very unusual.

eaglesrthe1
September 14th, 2005, 07:14 AM
Funny, the field at Paulson got chewed up during warm-ups. That is very unusual.

I noticed that the field looked a little worse for wear also.

chattanoogamocs
September 14th, 2005, 07:38 AM
does that mean when Chattanooga fans get back from GSU next week, they can make the obligatory, "nice stadium...surrounding a cow pasture" comments? ;)

Not a problem in Chattanooga anymore!

...just don't play on the plastic in the late afternoon in August.
(sound of steak sizzling) :eek:

89Hen
September 14th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Hopefully, it won't cause and serious injuries and become a 'critical' factor in a game--especially when we get together in December ;)
Conceding home field in the playoffs... smart man. :p

89Hen
September 14th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Well, at least the turf wasn't burned with the words "LEHIGH" like it was by vandals before a game at Delaware Stadium years ago.... lol

colgate13
September 14th, 2005, 08:33 AM
:p:p:p:lmao::lmao:

Those Engineers... Looks like it happened on 89's watch too! You were too busy chasing skirts and not keeping lookout for those hooligans!

89Hen
September 14th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Looks like it happened on 89's watch too! You were too busy chasing skirts and not keeping lookout for those hooligans!
:o Yup. Facing the home stands too, of course. I think I actually took the photo on Friday, but can really remember. I was still an Ag student at the time and the Ag school is right next to the stadium. Somebody came into one of our classes and told everybody. :mad:

GannonFan
September 14th, 2005, 09:23 AM
The field's in bad shape - they say there are going to put new sod down after the Holy Cross game so it'll have two weeks to take until UD is home again against Hofstra. There was some discussion about the drought affecting it (not a lot of rain in the Delaware area for a few months now) as well as a fungus that may be killing the grass. I still like the real stuff better than plastic, it's just one more variable to take into account. As for the UD/Lehigh game, I can't remember any significance the field had in terms of guys falling or tripping - seemed like everyone had pretty good footing for the game. That may change in a couple more weeks of play on the surface, but despite the conditions it played pretty well for the first game.

Hansel
September 14th, 2005, 09:43 AM
I was still an Ag student at the time

http://hutchville.com/images/carhartt/carhartt-bibs.jpg

89 hen circa mid 80's

Lehigh Football Nation
September 14th, 2005, 10:20 AM
As for the UD/Lehigh game, I can't remember any significance the field had in terms of guys falling or tripping...

I'd have to disagree with you there, in a way. No smack meant, but both sides were sliding and falling a lot. I also think the bad turf was contributing in all those "leg cramps" on both sides. I think it even had some play in the overthrown passes on both sides - the receivers slipped a little on the turf. IMO on better turf the receivers might have gotten those passes.

Having said that, I think both sides were affected equally. Not sure if any of Lehigh's injuries were directly/indirectly caused by the turf. Walker's I'm sure wasn't - he got injured celebrating... :( But the corners - that's where I'm less sure.

GannonFan
September 14th, 2005, 10:47 AM
The cramps had nothing to do with the turf - the field was in excellent shape last year and players for UD and UNH were both pulling up with cramps - it's the first game, played in September. I watched a lot of games this weekend that weren't played at UD and they had cramps too.

As for how it affected play, we'll have to agree to disagree. Not only was I in attendance, but I then watched the game on TiVo when I got home - I can't think of a single play that was affected because someone slipped on the turf or tripped over a divot. If you look back at the JMU/Montana game last year you could pick out tens of plays at least that were affected by the turf.

ngineer
September 14th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Conceding home field in the playoffs... smart man. :p

Well, I figure that we meet you in the second round--you have 6,000 more seats ;)

ngineer
September 14th, 2005, 12:07 PM

89 hen circa mid 80's

Watcha doin' there, Hen? Dancin'? In the engineering vernacular, you got 'logarhythm' :D

ngineer
September 14th, 2005, 12:13 PM
The cramps had nothing to do with the turf - the field was in excellent shape last year and players for UD and UNH were both pulling up with cramps - it's the first game, played in September. I watched a lot of games this weekend that weren't played at UD and they had cramps too.

As for how it affected play, we'll have to agree to disagree. Not only was I in attendance, but I then watched the game on TiVo when I got home - I can't think of a single play that was affected because someone slipped on the turf or tripped over a divot. If you look back at the JMU/Montana game last year you could pick out tens of plays at least that were affected by the turf.

Actually I recall two instances, one where our receiver went down (fans were calling for interference, but he lost his footing)over on the NW quadrant, and when Borda ran in for the two pt conversion I think one or two Hen defenders
should have gotten to him (he aint a speedster), but lost their footing in the southwest corner. From looking at my own lawn, there has been a big problem with fungus this year due to lack of rain but high humidity that occured in late July through August. May have prevented good root development.

GannonFan
September 14th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Actually I recall two instances, one where our receiver went down (fans were calling for interference, but he lost his footing)over on the NW quadrant, and when Borda ran in for the two pt conversion I think one or two Hen defenders
should have gotten to him (he aint a speedster), but lost their footing in the southwest corner. From looking at my own lawn, there has been a big problem with fungus this year due to lack of rain but high humidity that occured in late July through August. May have prevented good root development.

I don't recall the Borda 2 pt conversion well enough, but the receiver (Warren) going down was due to contact with the defender - they bumped, the Lehigh guy stumbled and then went down. It could have been pass interference but the ref didn't see it that way.

MR. CHICKEN
September 14th, 2005, 07:33 PM
CRAMPS...COME FROM DEHYDRATION..........OR......."DUH M. CYCLE"!....NOT LOOSE SOD!................AT LEAST DUH CHICKEN WIRE DIDN'T SURFACE!.........xidiotx.......BUK..BUK..BUK..BRRA AAWWWWKKKKK!

WHASS UP WHIFF BLANK SPACES IN OURAH TEXT..........AN' SOME O' DUH SMILEY...SCAREY.....HAPPY......PEED-OFF........BEER TOASTIN'......WHITTLE CREATURES???????????? :rotateh::rotateh::rotateh::rotateh::rotateh:xidio tx:rotateh::rotateh::rotateh::rotateh::rotateh:

89Hen
September 15th, 2005, 07:35 AM
both sides were sliding and falling a lot. I also think the bad turf was contributing in all those "leg cramps" on both sides. I think it even had some play in the overthrown passes on both sides - the receivers slipped a little on the turf.
I gotta agree with Gannon. I didn't see much of what you are talking about LFN. Cuff had some great cutbacks, I didn't see return men slipping and all the receivers were moving just fine. I can't recall a single time a DB slipped which to me is an indication of a slippery field.

89Hen
September 15th, 2005, 07:38 AM

89 hen circa mid 80's
That does look like a lot of the guys that were in my classes. My first class freshman year (Ag Engineering) was at 8am and the prof used to come directly from working on his farm.