PDA

View Full Version : 2007 FCS Walter Camp All-American Team

smallcollegefbfan
December 7th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Walter Camp Football Foundation Names 2007 Football Championship Subdivision All-America Team UNH QB Ricky Santos a three-time All-American

NEW HAVEN, CT – University of New Hampshire senior quarterback Ricky Santos , a three-time selection, headlines the Walter Camp Football Foundation 2007 Football Championship Subdivision All-America team. The team was selected by the head coaches and sports information directors of the Football Championship Subdivision schools and certified by UHY Advisors, a New Haven-based accounting firm.

Santos, the 2007 Colonial Athletic Association Co-Offensive Player of the Year, passed for 2,972 yards and 24 touchdowns to help lead UNH (7-5) to its fourth consecutive FCS playoff berth. For his career, Santos passed for 13,182 yards and 123 touchdowns – both totals are good for third all-time in FCS history.

Joining Santos in the offensive backfield are two CAA running backs – Omar Cuff (Delaware) and Tim Hightower (Richmond). Entering the Blue Hens’ FCS semifinal contest at Southern Illinois, Cuff has rushed for 1,759 yards and a nation-leading 34 touchdowns. Entering the Spiders’ FCS semifinal game at Appalachian State, Hightower has rushed for 1,829 yards and 20 touchdowns.

The 2007 Walter Camp All-America defensive squad includes 11 players who are candidates for the Buck Buchanan Award, presently annually to the top defensive player in the Football Championship Subdivision.

www.waltercamp.org

smallcollegefbfan
December 7th, 2007, 11:28 AM
2007 Walter Camp Football Championship Subdivision All-America Team

OFFENSE
WR Terrell Hudgins Elon University Soph. 6-2 226 Rocky Mount, NC
WR Ramses Barden Cal Poly Jr. 6-6 228 Altadena, CA
TE Matt Champa Dayton Sr. 6-2 219 Sagamore Hills, OH
OL Kerry Brown Appalachian State Sr. 6-6 310 Marietta, GA
OL Mike Byrne Delaware Sr. 6-6 295 Lititz, PA
OL Matt Austin Massachusetts Sr. 6-5 285 Reading, MA
OL Nate Safe North Dakota State Sr. 6-5 310 Cannon Falls, MN
OL Chad Rinehart Northern Iowa Sr. 6-5 308 Boone, IA
C Brennan Carvalho# Portland State Sr. 6-1 310 Kapaa, Hawaii
QB Ricky Santos % New Hampshire Sr. 6-2 215 Bellingham, MA
RB Omar Cuff Delaware Sr. 5-10 195 Landover, MD
RB Tim Hightower Richmond Sr. 6-1 225 Waldorf, MD
PK Dan Carpenter Montana Sr. 6-2 207 Helena, MT

DEFENSE
DL Kroy Biermann# Montana Sr. 6-3 241 Hardin, MT
DL Bryan Smith# McNeese State Sr. 6-3 230 Newton, TX
DL Brian Johnson GardnerWebb Sr. 6-5 280 San Diego, CA
DL Eric Bakhtiari San Diego Sr. 6-4 260 Burlingame, CA
LB Kye Stewart Illinois State Sr. 6-0 210 Nashville, TN
LB Bobby Daly Montana State Jr. 6-1 215 Helena, MT
LB Jason Hatchell Massachusetts Sr. 6-0 240 Mullica Hill, NJ
LB Joe Mays North Dakota State Sr. 5-11 243 Chicago, IL
DB Corey Lynch Appalachian State Sr. 6-0 205 Cape Coral, FL
DB Tony LeZotte@ James Madison Sr. 6-0 200 Augusta, GA
DB Ladarius Webb Nicholls State Jr. 5-11 205 Opelika, AL
DB Derrick Huff Eastern Kentucky Sr. 5-11 188 Hamilton, OH
P Chris MacDonald Texas State Sr. 6-4 215 Mesa, AZ
KR Jeremy Gilchrist Hampton Jr. 5-10 174 Virginia Beach, VA

# 2006 Walter Camp FCS (then Division IAA) All America selection
% 2005 and 2006 Walter Camp FCS (then Division IAA) All America selection
@ 2005 Walter Camp FCS (then Division IAA) All America selection

GannonFan
December 7th, 2007, 11:35 AM
link???

gmoney55
No real complaints...though I think it is Matt Austin from UMass.

pete4256
No Foster is a j-o-k-e.

smallcollegefbfan
December 7th, 2007, 11:41 AM
No real complaints...though I think it is Matt Austin from UMass.

Fixed!

smallcollegefbfan
December 7th, 2007, 11:42 AM
No Foster is a j-o-k-e.

I agree.

Anyone else think of a player who should have been on it like Foster?

PTW16
December 7th, 2007, 11:42 AM
No Foster is a j-o-k-e.

I completely agree.

smallcollegefbfan
December 7th, 2007, 11:43 AM
link???

Their website is www.waltercamp.org

bamamountaineer1013
December 7th, 2007, 11:44 AM
No Foster is a j-o-k-e.

Agreedxthumbsupx

GannonFan
December 7th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Their website is www.waltercamp.org

I can't find the FCS teams, only the FBS ones.

Thunderstruck84
December 7th, 2007, 11:45 AM
I like that Santos made the team over some of the guys who may have had better years (Jayson Foster, Josh Johnson, Eric Sanders, etc). Not to take anything away from those guys, no one could argue against any one of them being an All-American but I think the voters realized that an All-American isn't necessarily the guy who had the best year but it's the guy who is the best player at his position.

smallcollegefbfan
December 7th, 2007, 11:47 AM

They have been released. They should post them soon.

gmoney55
December 7th, 2007, 11:50 AM
You can make an argument for Foster no doubt, but that position will always have some worhty guys. It was close, he wasn't far and away the best (though I would have put him on there)

UNHWildCats
December 7th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Foster is a great athlete, but Santos is a great QB.

Foster is more or less a Rb who takes the snap and may throw it sometimes.

I think they got this right.

Perhaps they should add something to honor a tyope of player like Foster who may not be your stereotypical QB but lines up at the position.

smallcollegefbfan
December 7th, 2007, 12:00 PM

Perhaps they should add something to honor a tyope of player like Foster who may not be your stereotypical QB but lines up at the position.

Maybe a spot for an all-purpose player should be added?

pete4256
December 7th, 2007, 12:10 PM

It's typical prejudice against option-style quarterbacks.

Foster was probably the best offensive player in the country this year, and he played quarterback. That he has a different set of skills in immaterial.

Of course, quarterback is probably the most tightly contested spot on all A-A teams.

Let's just hope the prejudice doesn't keep him from the Payton.

DetroitFlyer
December 7th, 2007, 12:12 PM

Foster was probably the best offensive player in the country this year, and he played quarterback. That he has a different set of skills in immaterial.

Of course, quarterback is probably the most tightly contested spot on all A-A teams.

Prepare to be disappointed as the Payton is going to Josh Johnson IMHO!

08Dawg
December 7th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Terrell Hudgins can't hold a candle to Andre Roberts.

smallcollegefbfan
December 7th, 2007, 12:25 PM

I have seen both and I think Hudgins' numbers put him on here. Roberts would have be on the list if he had gotten the ball more. You can't go wrong with either. Roberts only getting 2nd team all-socon probably keeps him from getting enough looks by all-america voters.

andy7171
December 7th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Towson's ILB Brian Bradford is a victim of a poor team record. He had 30 more tackles than anyone in the CAA.
149 tackles, 4 forced fumbles, 4 sacks, 1 interception

GannonFan
December 7th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Towson's ILB Brian Bradford is a victim of a poor team record. He had 30 more tackles than anyone in the CAA.
149 tackles, 4 forced fumbles, 4 sacks, 1 interception

Maybe your defense was on the field longer than most other team's D's were??? :p

UNHWildCats
December 7th, 2007, 12:47 PM

I think of the 3 finalists Foster is a lock for it.

UNHWildCats
December 7th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Santos even out numbers Foster in total yards and TD

Santos 3215 yards 33 TD and Foster 3047 yards 30 TD

pete4256
December 7th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Santos even out numbers Foster in total yards and TD

Santos 3215 yards 33 TD and Foster 3047 yards 30 TD

It could be argued that rushing yards are, pound-for-pound, more valuable than passing yards.

pete4256
December 7th, 2007, 01:07 PM
I think of the 3 finalists Foster is a lock for it.

Too bad the voting isn't done between the three finalists.

CharlestonAppFan
December 7th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Don't worry GSU fans....Foster will win the Payton xnodx He's the best FOOTBALL PLAYER/ATHLETE in the nation and isn't that what the Payton recognizes?

ASUMountaineer
December 7th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Good to see the big man Kerry Brown making the list. Making space for KRich, AE, and Moore to break through.

andy7171
December 7th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Maybe your defense was on the field longer than most other team's D's were??? :p
28:28 vs 31:32

But I get jokes.

Hater. :D :p xpeacex

Gil Dobie
December 7th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Congrats to NDSU's Nate Safe and Joe Mays xthumbsupx

Also congrats to all the other student athletes that made the team xthumbsupx

Nebuta
December 7th, 2007, 02:46 PM
No Foster is a j-o-k-e.

Sounds kind of like the Payton list. xnodx

Philly Phoenix Phan
December 7th, 2007, 03:12 PM

A bold statement, to be sure. I get where the arguement comes from. That spread offense that Elon's got workin is a thing of beauty (I may be biased, but it puts a smile on my face). You could say that Hudgins is a product of the system, and sure, if he was in a wishbone offense, he'd have caught 20 balls. But he was still the North Carolina athlete of the year coming out of high school, and the coaches are playing to their strengths. And damn it must be working, gotta love the only sophmore on that list coming back for a few more years! xnodx

Congrats to all the rest up there, and get the job done tonite App! xthumbsupx

gophoenix
December 7th, 2007, 03:37 PM

Based on 1 game, please.

cats2506
December 7th, 2007, 03:41 PM

http://waltercamp.org/index.php/news/news_archive/wcff_names_2007_football_championship_subdivision_ all_america_team/

USDFAN_55
December 7th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Don't worry GSU fans....Foster will win the Payton xnodx He's the best FOOTBALL PLAYER/ATHLETE in the nation and isn't that what the Payton recognizes?

xeekx xeekx xeekx Let's not get carried away here. He's good, but I think Tebow is a far better player. Foster is a good runner, but his passing skills are sub par. I also think Foster's rushing numbers are so inflated because of the offense that GSU runs. He was basically a running back that lined up as a QB. If you think of it in those terms, rushing for 1800 yards is a good seaon, but not a great one (2000+ yards).

CharlestonAppFan
December 7th, 2007, 03:57 PM
xeekx xeekx xeekx Let's not get carried away here. He's good, but I think Tebow is a far better player. Foster is a good runner, but his passing skills are sub par. I also think Foster's rushing numbers are so inflated because of the offense that GSU runs. He was basically a running back that lined up as a QB. If you think of it in those terms, rushing for 1800 yards is a good seaon, but not a great one (2000+ yards).

If you will read my post, I was referring to the Payton award, not the Heisman xsmhx . The same could be said of Johnson regarding the type of offense he runs as well. In all regards, I have not seen your QB play, and I don't want to get into an argument relating to SOS, but he does have some respectable numbers. Seeing Foster in person for 4 years, I will have a bias towards him because he has ripped the 2 time defending national champion Mountaineers for so long, and especially this year. Johnson hasn't played the caliber of teams Foster has; I would have liked to of seen Johnson play in the big conferences cause I'm sure he would have been great.

With that said, I thought the Payton went to the best FCS xsmiley_wix football player and MVP in the nation, and that would be Foster in my opinion.

appfan2008
December 7th, 2007, 04:08 PM
congrats to corey and kerry... wish we had more

pete4256
December 7th, 2007, 04:09 PM

You have no clue what you're talking about. Admit it.

USDFAN_55
December 7th, 2007, 04:34 PM
If you will read my post, I was referring to the Payton award, not the Heisman xsmhx . The same could be said of Johnson regarding the type of offense he runs as well. In all regards, I have not seen your QB play, and I don't want to get into an argument relating to SOS, but he does have some respectable numbers. Seeing Foster in person for 4 years, I will have a bias towards him because he has ripped the 2 time defending national champion Mountaineers for so long, and especially this year. Johnson hasn't played the caliber of teams Foster has; I would have liked to of seen Johnson play in the big conferences cause I'm sure he would have been great.

With that said, I thought the Payton went to the best FCS xsmiley_wix football player and MVP in the nation, and that would be Foster in my opinion.

Where in my post did I mention Johnson?xreadx

USDFAN_55
December 7th, 2007, 05:13 PM
You have no clue what you're talking about. Admit it.

Busted..... you figured me outxthumbsupx
Or maybe you're just a Homer that can't see another point of view.xnodx

citdog
December 7th, 2007, 05:26 PM
No Foster is a j-o-k-e.

no foster is the l-i-s-t.

ElonPride
December 7th, 2007, 05:31 PM

Wow, that is a bold statement. Terrel Hudgins is the best receiver that the SoCon has seen in YEARS!!!!!!!

citdog
December 7th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Wow, that is a bold statement. Terrel Hudgins is the best receiver that the SoCon has seen in YEARS!!!!!!!

Roberts is a Rising Second Classman. Hudgins is done. Roberts had as good of a season as Hudgins, but it is Hudgins time. OK with the choice.

R.A.
December 7th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Rudy, Kendall, Bobby, Marcus...

Well, we'll see come Combines...

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 7th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Congrats to ALL the young men who were honored as 1st team, 2nd team, .... And, Thank you, Ricky Santos, for maybe the most exciting 4 years one player could ever wreak upon an entire subdivision. You will be missed!

pete4256
December 7th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Busted..... you figured me outxthumbsupx
Or maybe you're just a Homer that can't see another point of view.xnodx

Why do you even have a point of view about Foster? You've never seen him play and have no idea what you're missing. Your opinion about the kind of year he had means nothing. For comparison, notice that I never said anything about Johnson.

pete4256
December 7th, 2007, 09:40 PM
no foster is the l-i-s-t.

That really means a lot from you, who assured us that Foster was the fourth best quarterback in the conference and would never be named all-conference. xlolx

USDFAN_55
December 7th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Why do you even have a point of view about Foster? You've never seen him play and have no idea what you're missing. Your opinion about the kind of year he had means nothing. For comparison, notice that I never said anything about Johnson.

You're right, I haven't seen him in person. Kind of hard to do when I am on the other side of the country. I'm just speaking from the video I have seen of him. Which is what the majority of the people have seen of him.

The reason you never said anything about Johnson is because I never whined that he wasn't on this list.xnodx

pete4256
December 7th, 2007, 09:51 PM
You're right, I haven't seen him in person. Kind of hard to do when I am on the other side of the country. I'm just speaking from the video I have seen of him. Which is what the majority of the people have seen of him.

The reason you never said anything about Johnson is because I never whined that he wasn't on this list.xnodx

Because you knew better than to whine.

UNHWildCats
December 7th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Congrats to ALL the young men who were honored as 1st team, 2nd team, .... And, Thank you, Ricky Santos, for maybe the most exciting 4 years one player could ever wreak upon an entire subdivision. You will be missed!
Indeed, Thank you Ricky Santos :)

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 7th, 2007, 10:16 PM
If Foster can do better than Armanti Edwards just did tonight in personally dismantling Richmond, close to 500 yards total offense and 7 TD's, then he's got my vote. However, I sincerely doubt it, .... Somebody needs to take a revote. AE should win the Heisman after tonight, .....

pete4256
December 7th, 2007, 11:04 PM
If Foster can do better than Armanti Edwards just did tonight in personally dismantling Richmond, close to 500 yards total offense and 7 TD's, then he's got my vote. However, I sincerely doubt it, .... Somebody needs to take a revote. AE should win the Heisman after tonight, .....

Foster is a better runner than Edwards. I will admit that if Edwards had not missed four games this year, he'd have had a better year than Foster.

BEAR
December 7th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Are schools in transition from DII to FCS allowed to have players in this thing? Anyone know? They were all good picks, and there were some left out that fans could scream should be in, and reading this thread, they already have. xlolx xlolx

USDFAN_55
December 7th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Because you knew better than to whine.

Just didn't want to disrespect Santos. He had a great career that brought a lot of attention to the FCS. He deserved itxthumbsupx

CatFan22
December 8th, 2007, 12:17 AM
Good to finally see Daly on there. Great job, Bobby!