PDA

View Full Version : App State Furman 2008 on a neutral site

Touchdown Yosef
December 7th, 2007, 07:28 AM
I’ve had this idea for a while and wanted to get it posted while the playoffs where still going. I have championed this idea to every influential person I know but I can only take it so far. I wanted to see what you all, educated FCS proponents, thought of the idea with the hope that if you thought it would work you would also help get the ball rolling.

My idea is this; with the App State vs. Furman games being so consistently great and considering the growing popularity of Appalachian football games I want to play the game annually at a neutral site: the neutral site being Panthers Stadium in Charlotte. I know what you all are thinking that is never going to work, but I feel that with an aggressive marketing campaign and support from each school it could be a huge success for both schools. Number one, there is a complete lack of College Football in Charlotte and yet there many college football fans in the area that have no affiliation to either school who may be interested in attending. Two, there is a huge alumni base for Appalachian in Charlotte, many who have season tickets and many who cannot make it to as many games as they would like because of the drive. Three, an annual game like this in such a large market could be huge for both schools in terms of publicity and notoriety.

Now I know this is probably a long shot but Jerry Richardson, the owner of the Panthers, is a Wofford alum and may be willing to help out the cause. Charlotte is a little under a 2 hour drive from both schools making it a near perfect neutral site. I feel that with some bussing of students to the game and through regular ticket sales we can fill up the lower level of the stadium without a problem. I think a plan like this would do very well for the upper level. Give tickets to high school students who are prospective students of each school to encourage them to come and experience an App Furman game. This would encourage them to come in groups of friends, but if there families would want to come as well, they would have to buy tickets. I also feel it would be necessary to make the upper level tickets affordable and hope that all parties involved can make money of the concessions. I like to dream big, if you couldn’t tell, I would like to see this turn into the highest attended annually occurring FCS game in history. What are your thoughts?

asu7
December 7th, 2007, 07:33 AM
NUTS ...

I want them to come to THE ROCK and face their beloved south endozone ;)

OL FU
December 7th, 2007, 07:35 AM
I would support this idea for years ending in an even numberxnodx

asu7
December 7th, 2007, 07:36 AM
I would support this idea for years ending in an even numberxnodx

I bet you would ... I would support it in years ending in an odd number ;)

Guess we will have to agree to disagree ... you know you love that south endzone xlolx

APPride
December 7th, 2007, 07:36 AM
neither team would want this for the simple reason that in this series it is so satisfying to get the win on the road! same w/ GSU! props to them coming in and KICKIN BUTT this year...xbowx xbowx

AlphaSigMD
December 7th, 2007, 08:12 AM
I’ve had this idea for a while and wanted to get it posted while the playoffs where still going. I have championed this idea to every influential person I know but I can only take it so far. I wanted to see what you all, educated FCS proponents, thought of the idea with the hope that if you thought it would work you would also help get the ball rolling.

My idea is this; with the App State vs. Furman games being so consistently great and considering the growing popularity of Appalachian football games I want to play the game annually at a neutral site: the neutral site being Panthers Stadium in Charlotte. I know what you all are thinking that is never going to work, but I feel that with an aggressive marketing campaign and support from each school it could be a huge success for both schools. Number one, there is a complete lack of College Football in Charlotte and yet there many college football fans in the area that have no affiliation to either school who may be interested in attending. Two, there is a huge alumni base for Appalachian in Charlotte, many who have season tickets and many who cannot make it to as many games as they would like because of the drive. Three, an annual game like this in such a large market could be huge for both schools in terms of publicity and notoriety.

Now I know this is probably a long shot but Jerry Richardson, the owner of the Panthers, is a Wofford alum and may be willing to help out the cause. Charlotte is a little under a 2 hour drive from both schools making it a near perfect neutral site. I feel that with some bussing of students to the game and through regular ticket sales we can fill up the lower level of the stadium without a problem. I think a plan like this would do very well for the upper level. Give tickets to high school students who are prospective students of each school to encourage them to come and experience an App Furman game. This would encourage them to come in groups of friends, but if there families would want to come as well, they would have to buy tickets. I also feel it would be necessary to make the upper level tickets affordable and hope that all parties involved can make money of the concessions. I like to dream big, if you couldn’t tell, I would like to see this turn into the highest attended annually occurring FCS game in history. What are your thoughts?

It will never happen, and probably never should happen. Even at its best, the game couldn't draw more than 30,000, and that would be severely pushing it. Even the national championship game doens't pull numbers like that. And Bofa Stadium seats about twice that amount anyway. So it certainly wouldn't be cost effective.

People in Charlotte don't really care about Furman, and don't care much about ASU either (it at all) for that matter, and getting the fans to come out in droves will be difficult.

It would be a nice idea, in a perfect world, if these things could come together and we could sell out the stadium with loyal Black and Gold fans and loyal Purple and white fans, but its just not really practical to say that will ever be the case in the near future.

thmst30
December 7th, 2007, 08:18 AM
NO NO NO NO NO, I would hate that.

thirdgendin
December 7th, 2007, 08:37 AM

There was talk about 15 years ago of Furman and GSU playing in Atlanta, and it never happened for the same reasons that this wouldn't work: not enough fans to make it a worthwhile venture and neither school wants to lose the competitive advantage and financial gate from a home game.

The Moody1
December 7th, 2007, 09:11 AM

A game at BOA stadium against East Carolina would make much more sense and would probably sell out.

ERASU2113
December 7th, 2007, 09:19 AM
A game at BOA stadium against East Carolina would make much more sense and would probably sell out.

Not just ECU, but NC State, UNC too

ASUMountaineer
December 7th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Until it is cost effective, I doubt anything like that would happen.

The Moody1
December 7th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Not just ECU, but NC State, UNC too

Of course those would be great games as well. I think that the ECU match up has a chance of happening. We all know the Tarholes wouldn't do it, and I don't think NC State would either.

08Dawg
December 7th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Of course those would be great games as well. I think that the ECU match up has a chance of happening. We all know the Tarholes wouldn't do it, and I don't think NC State would either.

Not if there's the slightly chance they'll get whacked by App State.

Eyes of Old Main
December 7th, 2007, 10:36 PM
I don't think this will happen. Neither would want to lose the other's visit off their home schedules.

But if they did do that, would they call it a "Classic"?

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 7th, 2007, 10:42 PM
I'd like to see GSU-App at a neutral place somewhere in between the two campuses. We don't bring too many people to Boone and you guys don't bring many to Statesboro. I think it would bring more people than Furman and ASU, with no disrespect intended to Furman.

LarryBoy
December 7th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Furman is a school of roughly 2500 with a surprisingly small number of alumni from the state of North Carolina (Georgia, on the other hand, makes up about 40-50% of the school, it seems). If Furman managed to bring 10,000 fans to a game in Charlotte, that would honestly be shocking. Furman is a traditional power for its consistent quality of football and not the number of butts it puts in the seats. Even though we consistently rank in the top 15-20 of FCS attendance (which is remarkable for a school of our size), Kidd Brewer's unbelievable numbers of this past season are simply unthinkable at Paladin Stadium. Greenville is Clemscum territory.

What I DO want to see for this rivalry is more media attention. It is the best game in the Carolinas, no questions asked. UNC, NC State, and Duke are jokes. Carolina and Clemson continue to challenge each other with their infinite mediocrity, and therefore it looks like a good rivalry. Furman and App challenge each other with their excellence (and no, I'm not counting 2006). Uninformed fans in the Carolinas need to know about this game, for the sake of their exposure to some actual good football.

AlphaSigMD
December 8th, 2007, 01:57 AM
I'd like to see GSU-App at a neutral place somewhere in between the two campuses. We don't bring too many people to Boone and you guys don't bring many to Statesboro. I think it would bring more people than Furman and ASU, with no disrespect intended to Furman.

Oh, I bet you'd like to play us on Furman's field. We don't have all that great a history there. xlolx

Not as bad as they've had it in boone, but not all that great either...

thirdgendin
December 8th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Oh, I bet you'd like to play us on Furman's field. We don't have all that great a history there. xlolx

Not as bad as they've had it in boone, but not all that great either...

Historically, App is just 5-13-1 in Greenville while Furman is 8-9-2 in Boone.

Appinator
December 8th, 2007, 02:04 PM
I think this would be a great thing for both universities. UNC Charlotte plays Wake and Maryland at the Bobcats arena. With Wake being about the same distance and size as Furman, and all of the local ASU Grads in the Charlotte area, I think this should be on the table for discussion for both universities.

For a casual fan in the Charlotte area, which would be a better game to go to: the ACC pillow fight between NCSU and UNC, or the legendary slugfests that App and Furman has.

Tealblood
December 8th, 2007, 02:28 PM
the only way this happens would be if a sponser like BofA offered either team about $250,000-$300,000 for its home game

which I don't see happening

Tealblood
December 8th, 2007, 02:31 PM
same type of thing a school like Duke has done on a few occasions.

A few years ago city of Orlando bought the Duke--FSU game in Durham to play it in Orlando creating a chance for Seminole nation to descend on orlando ala a bowl game.

it was the regular season game that should have been in Durham.

appfan2008
December 8th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Im sorry but i think this is a terrible idea... the best part of furman/app is the home fans and atmosphere that it creates... Sitting in a half empty stadium and having to drive off the mountain for a (home) game doesnt sound interesting...

Tealblood
December 8th, 2007, 02:37 PM
back in the '80s I know duke would play 3-4 years in a row at Clemson because they would make more money "selling" the home game to the tigers

Tealblood
December 8th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Im sorry but i think this is a terrible idea... the best part of furman/app is the home fans and atmosphere that it creates... Sitting in a half empty stadium and having to drive off the mountain for a (home) game doesnt sound interesting...

Agreed it is a bad idea just saying how it would have to happen

Aho_Old_Guy
December 8th, 2007, 03:09 PM
I think this would be a great thing for both universities. UNC Charlotte plays Wake and Maryland at the Bobcats arena. With Wake being about the same distance and size as Furman, and all of the local ASU Grads in the Charlotte area, I think this should be on the table for discussion for both universities.

For a casual fan in the Charlotte area, which would be a better game to go to: the ACC pillow fight between NCSU and UNC, or the legendary slugfests that App and Furman has.

Wrong forum for me to make this comment but State-Carolina 'pillow fight' football games might deserve a wee bit better adjective to describe them.

Re: App State Furman 2008 on a neutral site

Not gonna happen. And I hate to admit it, but historcally Furman has just plain whupped Appalachian. Some of 'em pretty oogly, too :)

citdog
December 8th, 2007, 03:46 PM
The Citadel and VMI met in Charlotte for two seasons and the people of Charlotte stayed away in droves. The weather didn't help but there were less people than we draw for VMI in Charleston.

Yosef@therock
December 8th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Mark "Primetime" Packman WFNZ610am and I discussed this at the Wofford game. That is App State vs ECU at BOA Stadium. We'd bring 30,000 they'd bring 35 to 40,000. It would be awesome!!!

GSUjack
December 9th, 2007, 01:29 AM
Mark "Primetime" Packman WFNZ610am and I discussed this at the Wofford game. That is App State vs ECU at BOA Stadium. We'd bring 30,000 they'd bring 35 to 40,000. It would be awesome!!!

I'll be wearing blue and white for this one!

BluehenJK
December 9th, 2007, 10:38 AM
College football games are supposed to be played on campus. Stop going for the money grabs. It is a stupid idea in my opinion. A home game means playing the game at home......

furman94
December 9th, 2007, 12:21 PM
I am ashamed to say this, but if we have trouble getting 14,000 a game at home for FU football, Lord knows that we'd only have 5,000, if that in BoA Stadium wearing Purple. I miss the days of Dr. Johns and the always packed house under Paris Mountain rocking to the FU All the Time Cheer! BRING BACK THE 80'S! lol

Appinator
December 10th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Wrong forum for me to make this comment but State-Carolina 'pillow fight' football games might deserve a wee bit better adjective to describe them.

Re: App State Furman 2008 on a neutral site

Not gonna happen. And I hate to admit it, but historcally Furman has just plain whupped Appalachian. Some of 'em pretty oogly, too :)

How about snooze-apoloza? yawn-athon? or my personal favorite: The annual quest to see who can fight there way out of a wet paper bag the quickest!

My initial thoughts on tarheel football are the exciting OT matches against dook tied 14 all, quite a shootout. And yes, State had a great season too; they managed to pass Appalachians number of FCS wins the last week in October, Congrats!

Furman "whuppings" have been kind of a rarity now too, as I believe we have a three game winning steak going on.

OL FU
December 10th, 2007, 10:39 AM
How about snooze-apoloza? yawn-athon? or my personal favorite: The annual quest to see who can fight there way out of a wet paper bag the quickest!

My initial thoughts on tarheel football are the exciting OT matches against dook tied 14 all, quite a shootout. And yes, State had a great season too; they managed to pass Appalachians number of FCS wins the last week in October, Congrats!

Furman "whuppings" have been kind of a rarity now too, as I believe we have a three game winning steak going on.

Actually, while there have been some whuppins', the games historically have been very very closexnodx

Appinator
December 10th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Actually, while there have been some whuppins', the games historically have been very very closexnodx

That's why I love going to them, and think this is a marketable idea. Great competitive rivalry.

Aho_Old_Guy
December 10th, 2007, 03:02 PM
That's why I love going to them, and think this is a marketable idea. Great competitive rivalry.

I agree it's a great rivalry. And thank goodness Coach Moore managed to make it respectable over the last ten years because Sheridan, Satterfield and Johnson dang near wore us out.

And may I pronounce the heresy with all respect to the 'Jug" and WCU - I loves beatin' on Furman the best xlolx