PDA

View Full Version : Nice article in Chattanooga about NDSU

chattanoogamocs
December 6th, 2007, 01:48 AM
The Chattanooga Times-Free Press is doing an excellent job doing articles on the playoffs...there have been so many articles about Appalachian State I am beginning to think this is the Boone Times-Free Press :) (Matter of fact, I think our Mocs beat writer went up to the ASU/EWU playoff game, but not sure)

Today they did a really nice article on North Dakota State. I just thought some of the Bison fans might want to know they are getting some love in Chattanooga...

Bison waiting in wings
Thursday, December 06, 2007

By John Frierson
Staff Writer

North Dakota State was one of the best teams in the country this season -- it spent five weeks ranked No. 1 and beat a team headed to a bowl game -- but the Bison weren't among the 16 teams in the Football Championship Subdivision playoffs.

Such is the frustrating fate of a team in transition.

"We knew the scenario when we made the decision to move up from Division II, so there was no point in jumping up and down about it," Bison coach Craig Bohl said Wednesday.

Still, that didn't make it any easier to watch the playoffs unfold without them, senior quarterback Steve Walker said.

"It was really hard for us, especially the seniors," said Walker, who was voted co-offensive player of the year in the Great West Conference. "We would have liked a chance to see what we could do against the top teams in the country."

the rest of the article...

http://www.timesfreepress.com/absolutenm/templates/sports.aspx?articleid=26422&zoneid=6

unicat87
December 6th, 2007, 06:32 AM
Thanks for the article. It wouldn't surprise me to see NDSU go to the FCS playoffs and do well next year. SDSU has done nothing but get better the last couple of seasons also. I think it only makes the Gateway (or MVC, if it becomes that name) stronger for next season. -unicat87

AmsterBison
December 6th, 2007, 06:49 AM
Thanks for the link. Who knows what might have been? But, like Coach Bohl said, we knew the deal when we joined up (although, I must admit, we were holding out some hope that the NCAA would reverse some of the more punitive conditions of the provisional period).

Anyway, those players who never got a shot at the playoffs will always have the Gopher games to look back on :)

Syntax Error
December 6th, 2007, 09:05 AM
"We knew the scenario when we made the decision to move up from Division II, so there was no point in jumping up and down about it," Bison coach Craig Bohl said Wednesday.Coach Bohl certainly was "jumping up and down about it." xnodx

X-Factor
December 6th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Coach Bohl certainly was "jumping up and down about it." xnodx

blahh....blahh............blahhh.

I think we have heard your side of the story enough times. You have no proof. Put it to rest or take it to the smack board.

Syntax Error
December 6th, 2007, 09:53 AM
blahh....blahh............blahhh.
I think we have heard your side of the story enough times. You have no proof. Put it to rest or take it to the smack board.A smack response from a Bison fan, how unusual! Coach Bohl certainly was "jumping up and down about it." Sorry if you think that's smack but it's true and well publicized.
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/stats/2007/1020WCCOwithSid-Bohl.mp3

Go Bison
December 6th, 2007, 10:05 AM
I think we can all forget about that one interview. Sid Hartman was suppose to apologize to Coach Bohl during that interview and that never happened.

TwinTownBisonFan
December 6th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Fans in this part of the country never take what Sid Hartman says seriously. He's been a columnist since Jesus was quarterbacking Jerusalem A&M, and he's never been right about anything.

He predicted Minn beating SU 42-21... said the Twins would move to North Carolina, re-sign Torrii Hunter, etc... he pisses off people who know their ****.

As for the article, I agree that it's nice to get some love from the 'nooga press. Frankly, I'm still at the "it's nice if people have ever even heard of us" phase. When I went to NDSU nobody ever talked about us, ever.

UDChE89
December 6th, 2007, 11:23 AM
The Chattanooga Times-Free Press is doing an excellent job doing articles on the playoffs...there have been so many articles about Appalachian State I am beginning to think this is the Boone Times-Free Press :) (Matter of fact, I think our Mocs beat writer went up to the ASU/EWU playoff game, but not sure)

Today they did a really nice article on North Dakota State. I just thought some of the Bison fans might want to know they are getting some love in Chattanooga...

Bison waiting in wings
Thursday, December 06, 2007

By John Frierson
Staff Writer

North Dakota State was one of the best teams in the country this season -- it spent five weeks ranked No. 1 and beat a team headed to a bowl game -- but the Bison weren't among the 16 teams in the Football Championship Subdivision playoffs.

Such is the frustrating fate of a team in transition.

"We knew the scenario when we made the decision to move up from Division II, so there was no point in jumping up and down about it," Bison coach Craig Bohl said Wednesday.

Still, that didn't make it any easier to watch the playoffs unfold without them, senior quarterback Steve Walker said.

"It was really hard for us, especially the seniors," said Walker, who was voted co-offensive player of the year in the Great West Conference. "We would have liked a chance to see what we could do against the top teams in the country."

the rest of the article...

http://www.timesfreepress.com/absolutenm/templates/sports.aspx?articleid=26422&zoneid=6

Keep us posted on other articles... I stopped checking the TFP after I left Chattanooga since the site used to be a pay site. When did they make the change?

Thunderstruck84
December 6th, 2007, 11:38 AM
A smack response from a Bison fan, how unusual! Coach Bohl certainly was "jumping up and down about it." Sorry if you think that's smack but it's true and well publicized.
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/stats/2007/1020WCCOwithSid-Bohl.mp3
There's been plenty more "jumping up and down" about what he said by posters on this board and from Bison fans in response. How about we agree to drop this if we (Bison fans) admit he was wrong for some of things he said in that interview and the posters who constantly bring it up agree that it was a one-time quote and it doesn't reflect on the overall class with which Coach Bohl has conducted himself and instilled into the program.

No_Skill
December 6th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Coach Bohl certainly was "jumping up and down about it." xnodx

You sound just like my wife...never lets anything I do go. I'm still getting crap for stuff I did 7 years ago.

Syntax Error
December 6th, 2007, 12:38 PM
You sound just like my wife...never lets anything I do go. I'm still getting crap for stuff I did 7 years ago.xconfusedx The article with the quote came out today. xcoffeex

appfan2008
December 6th, 2007, 01:03 PM
nice article... but i am ready for all of this talk to be over next year when they will actually be allowed to play and we dont have to talk about it anymore

No_Skill
December 6th, 2007, 05:26 PM
xconfusedx The article with the quote came out today. xcoffeex

Funny, my wife plays stupid sometimes too.

MplsBison
December 6th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the article. It wouldn't surprise me to see NDSU go to the FCS playoffs and do well next year. SDSU has done nothing but get better the last couple of seasons also. I think it only makes the Gateway (or MVC, if it becomes that name) stronger for next season. -unicat87

I'll be surprised if the Gateway/MVC isn't a 4 bid league next season.

I could easily see NDSU, SDSU, UNI, and another, possibly 2 more making the playoffs.

Syntax Error
December 6th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Funny, my wife plays stupid sometimes too.That explains it... :p

ERASU2113
December 6th, 2007, 05:45 PM
As Walker said it stinks you guys have to sit and watch the playoffs unfold. Rather than seeing how you guys match up to the best of FCS.

Regardless, good luck next year. You guys have a legitimate shot at heading to Chatty. :)

chattanoogamocs
December 6th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Keep us posted on other articles... I stopped checking the TFP after I left Chattanooga since the site used to be a pay site. When did they make the change?

The main stories in each section are available for free...to see the "newspaper view", you have to pay (or have home delivery)...I admit, I cheat, my grandfather is a subscriber, so I used his address when I signed up for an account :)

If anyone is interested in the T-FP coverage, I have a "Playoff Central" thread on the Mocfans messageboard with every playoff related article the T-FP has done the last couple of weeks (as always, I have permission to reprint these articles on the site, so to the AGS mods...I am not re-directing people to copyright infringed links :))

http://p197.ezboard.com/fmoctalkfrm3.showMessage?topicID=4760.topic

proasu89
December 6th, 2007, 08:43 PM
I'll be surprised if the Gateway/MVC isn't a 4 bid league next season.

I could easily see NDSU, SDSU, UNI, and another, possibly 2 more making the playoffs.

It's certainly possible, but with your depth there could be a lot of beating up on each other and the next thing you know you're a 2 bid conference. Kind of like a certain conference in the South.

X-Factor
December 6th, 2007, 11:25 PM
It's certainly possible, but with your depth there could be a lot of beating up on each other and the next thing you know you're a 2 bid conference. Kind of like a certain conference in the South.

Very true. I think it will depend heavily on the OOC schedule that Gateway teams set up. Hopefully not a lot of DII's and FBS games that might not be considered a likely victory. A 12 game schedule should help out IMO. It looks like the Bison will end up with 7 regular season home games, and at the worst 6. That is a big step up from the 5 that we have been used to. xeekx