PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Dream

appstate38
December 5th, 2007, 07:00 PM
If you had the athletes to run any offense out there, what would it be?

Spread option, wing-T, wishbone, flexbone, Pro-I, Pass Happy, West Coast...

Looking for something to pass the till Friday.

minuteman65
December 5th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Seeing "wing-T" just made me cringe a lot. Seriously, that's my last choice. I'd run the QB kneel offense before that.

(My team ran that in high school, and we sucked. Hence the hatred of the wing-T)

LehighFan11
December 5th, 2007, 07:37 PM
With athletes, spread option is almost undefensivable

AppChicago
December 5th, 2007, 07:40 PM
I saw the name of this thread and thought of something else entirely. I doubt any male got through puberty without at least a few dreams SOME would consider offensive.

appstate38
December 5th, 2007, 07:41 PM
I saw the name of this thread and thought of something else entirely. I doubt any male got through puberty without at least a few dreams SOME would consider offensive.

Sorry, I couldn't think of a better title. xoopsx

AppChicago
December 5th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Sorry, I couldn't think of a better title. xoopsx

Better? It was PERFECT! BTW, I'll go with the spread-option.

APPALACHIANstate
December 5th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Spike runs Power-I...

james_lawfirm
December 5th, 2007, 08:04 PM

Yer still a newbie, aren't 'cha?

MplsBison
December 5th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Spike runs Power-I...

Who's Spike's lead blocker?!

The Ice Box.

Where's he at?

MplsBison
December 5th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Seriously though, my ideal offense is a pro set, 1 TE and 2 backs or 1 TE singleback with a slot receiver

60% pass 40% run

lots of runs up the middle, screens, draws, lots of 3 and 5 step drop, 7 step "long bomb" now and then.

bobbythekidd
December 5th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Seriously though, my ideal offense is a pro set, IE 1 TE and 2 backs or 1 TE singleback with a slot receiver

60% pass 40% run

lots of runs up the middle, screens, draws, 3 and 5 step drop, 7 step "long bomb" now and then.
Good God. I would have never guessed you would say that.xrolleyesx

Peems
December 5th, 2007, 08:27 PM
The Hawai'i Run N Shoot. It's just so damn fun and exciting.

FCS Preview
December 5th, 2007, 08:30 PM
The option.

bobbythekidd
December 5th, 2007, 08:47 PM
The option.
This is my brother who was separated at birth!xsmoochx

08Dawg
December 5th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Spread option, with a dash of West Coast.

Gil Dobie
December 5th, 2007, 09:09 PM
The old Bison Veer was fun to watch in the 1970's & 80's.

MplsBison
December 5th, 2007, 09:21 PM
The option.

Were you talking about an actual implementation, or more mythically: the option?

MplsBison
December 5th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Good God. I would have never guessed you would say that.

You wouldn't have guessed that I would've correctly chosen the best offense in football?

Franks Tanks
December 5th, 2007, 09:23 PM
The inside zone/stretch running scheme which relies on zone blocking. Watch the Denver Broncos o-line zone block, it is the prettiest site on earth to an old lineman like myself who finds zone blocking an art.

AAadict
December 5th, 2007, 09:27 PM
The "chuck and duck"...ask Buddy Ryan for clarification. I'm dating myself. Some call it "run and gun". Fun to watch but not known for winning titles or Super Bowl's.

Gil Dobie
December 5th, 2007, 10:02 PM
This is my brother who was separated at birth!xsmoochx

I always looked forward to the Nebraska/Oklahoma game each year. xthumbsupx

AppChicago
December 6th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Yer still a newbie, aren't 'cha?

And yer still incapable of detecting a joke when it's staring you in the face.

Aren't 'cha? xthumbsupx

james_lawfirm
December 6th, 2007, 06:03 AM
And yer still incapable of detecting a joke when it's staring you in the face.

Aren't 'cha? xthumbsupx

Actually, I detected said "joke" and flung it back at 'cha. So there. phbthtpht.

AppChicago
December 6th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Actually, I detected said "joke" and flung it back at 'cha. So there. phbthtpht.

Fair enough, counselor. I'd like to change my vote on best offense to the "Condescending Face Fling".

ChickenMan
December 6th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Seeing "wing-T" just made me cringe a lot. Seriously, that's my last choice. I'd run the QB kneel offense before that.

(My team ran that in high school, and we sucked. Hence the hatred of the wing-T)

The Wing-T always seemed to work very well every time UD played UMass.. :p

mcveyrl
December 6th, 2007, 03:02 PM
The Wing-T always seemed to work very well every time UD played UMass.. :p

I haven't posted on here because I'm still not sure exactly what I'd pick. But, I think the UD Wing-T is at the top of my list when run properly. If you don't have the athletes to do it, it does make you cringe.

Seeing UD run it in the mid to late '90s was always awesome to watch!! I try to emulate it on video games, but it's never the same.

TwinTownBisonFan
December 6th, 2007, 03:35 PM
With the proper athletes... the option of course.

However, I really like the pro set, balanced offense, that MplsBison talks about.

I am very very against the spread option... it's a fad offense that in 10 years a couple of programs will run, and it'll be what they are known for... like Hawai'i with run 'n shoot, or Nevada's pistol. but your average team will move on to the next fad as DC's figure this out.

OldRef
December 6th, 2007, 03:54 PM
As you can see I'm a newbie, BUT....

Having studied game film with CAA officials in the late '90s the Tubby"Raymond’s UD wing T was frightening, at least from the umpire position. Being a fat old former offensive lineman, I'm kind of partial to the bone. I loved Jim Brakefield's and Fisher DeBerry's take on it.

I really age myself dont I?

LehighFan11
December 6th, 2007, 05:00 PM
With the proper athletes... the option of course.

However, I really like the pro set, balanced offense, that MplsBison talks about.

I am very very against the spread option... it's a fad offense that in 10 years a couple of programs will run, and it'll be what they are known for... like Hawai'i with run 'n shoot, or Nevada's pistol. but your average team will move on to the next fad as DC's figure this out.

I disagree. The spread option will continue to grow. Todays players are much faster than ever before. More coaches continue to put their best 2 athletes at RB and QB and get them in space. If run correctly with a good backup QB, you cant defend it. Some defensives with fast LBs can defend the option part of it but if you have a QB that can throw it down the field, forget about it.

james_lawfirm
December 6th, 2007, 06:07 PM
I disagree. The spread option will continue to grow. Todays players are much faster than ever before. More coaches continue to put their best 2 athletes at RB and QB and get them in space. If run correctly with a good backup QB, you cant defend it. Some defensives with fast LBs can defend the option part of it but if you have a QB that can throw it down the field, forget about it.

I agree the spread option is way more than a "fad". It appears to me the best and only way to defend it is to put 13 men on the field. Actually, I think the only way to defend it (for real) is for the defense to be as fast and quick as the offense. So far, that ain't happening.

Shellin
December 6th, 2007, 06:14 PM
I personally think the best offense to run with the correct athletes is the USC/Old Nebraska I-formation offense. Come the end of the game not many teams can hang in with the physical beating in the trenches and especially in USC's case they have been able to throw the ball around effectively enough to make it impossible for defenses to crowd the box and focus entirely on the run. With proper athletes no one was able to stop USC with bush/white/leinhart nor was anyone able to stop the mid-90's nebraska teams (even though they incorporated more option into the offense than USC does with less passing, it is still the same basic idea).

BearsCountry
December 6th, 2007, 06:15 PM
A combination of all of the above. A Defensive coordinator's night mare.