PDA

View Full Version : Campbell University accepts bid to join Pioneer League

FCS Preview
December 5th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Just got the press release:

Campbell University accepts bid to join Pioneer Football League

ST. LOUIS - Pioneer Football League Commissioner Patty Viverito announced that Campbell University has accepted the league's invitation for membership.

Campbell, which announced its return to intercollegiate football in April 2006, will begin league play in 2008 as the league's ninth member. PFL teams will compete in a full round-robin schedule.

“All of us at Campbell University are extremely excited about membership in the Pioneer Football League,” said Campbell president Dr. Jerry Wallace. “Conference membership is such a vital step in the development of any football program. We are fortunate to be included with such a fine group of quality institutions who are competing at the same level of college football. The PFL is a great home for Campbell football and we know great rivalries will be developed as we begin competition with the 2008 season.”

“We are proud to welcome Campbell to the Pioneer Football League”, said commissioner Viverito. “PFL expansion is a positive step toward growing non-scholarship football, within the league and nationally.”

In June 2007 the PFL hosted a summit for institutions which sponsor, or have interest in sponsoring, Division I non-scholarship football programs. Since that time, the league has taken a leadership role to foster this brand of football, recognizing it is important to have those that sponsor non-scholarship football to keep it and those considering adding non-scholarship football to add it.

The Pioneer Football League, which recently completed its 15th season, is a non-scholarship NCAA Football Championship Sub-Division conference. The league still retains four of its charter members – Butler University, the University of Dayton, Drake University and Valparaiso University, plus the University of San Diego (joining in 1992) – which were joined in 2001 by four new teams, three of which remain today – Davidson College, Jacksonville University and Morehead State University.

In January 1991 the NCAA passed legislation to require Division I institutions to sponsor all intercollegiate sports at the Division I level. Each of the league's members are dedicated to the enhancement and sound management of intercollegiate football as an integral part of the student-athletes’ collegiate experience. From the league’s inception it has been a proponent of the creation of a non-scholarship football classification within Division I and adopted the moniker of Pioneer based on the intent to become the first league in that new division. All the league's members are committed to the non-scholarship football model.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 5th, 2007, 09:51 AM
xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx

Looking forward to talking about the Camels in FCS!

ASU_Chad
December 5th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Congrats Camels! I bet Davidson is glad to get an in state conference rival.

lizrdgizrd
December 5th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Welcome, Camels, to FCS! xthumbsupx

aceinthehole
December 5th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Just got the press release:

Campbell University accepts bid to join Pioneer Football League

ST. LOUIS - Pioneer Football League Commissioner Patty Viverito announced that Campbell University has accepted the league's invitation for membership.

Campbell, which announced its return to intercollegiate football in April 2006, will begin league play in 2008 as the league's ninth member. PFL teams will compete in a full round-robin schedule.

“All of us at Campbell University are extremely excited about membership in the Pioneer Football League,” said Campbell president Dr. Jerry Wallace. “Conference membership is such a vital step in the development of any football program. We are fortunate to be included with such a fine group of quality institutions who are competing at the same level of college football. The PFL is a great home for Campbell football and we know great rivalries will be developed as we begin competition with the 2008 season.”

“We are proud to welcome Campbell to the Pioneer Football League”, said commissioner Viverito. “PFL expansion is a positive step toward growing non-scholarship football, within the league and nationally.”

In June 2007 the PFL hosted a summit for institutions which sponsor, or have interest in sponsoring, Division I non-scholarship football programs. Since that time, the league has taken a leadership role to foster this brand of football, recognizing it is important to have those that sponsor non-scholarship football to keep it and those considering adding non-scholarship football to add it.

The Pioneer Football League, which recently completed its 15th season, is a non-scholarship NCAA Football Championship Sub-Division conference. The league still retains four of its charter members – Butler University, the University of Dayton, Drake University and Valparaiso University, plus the University of San Diego (joining in 1992) – which were joined in 2001 by four new teams, three of which remain today – Davidson College, Jacksonville University and Morehead State University.

In January 1991 the NCAA passed legislation to require Division I institutions to sponsor all intercollegiate sports at the Division I level. Each of the league's members are dedicated to the enhancement and sound management of intercollegiate football as an integral part of the student-athletes’ collegiate experience. From the league’s inception it has been a proponent of the creation of a non-scholarship football classification within Division I and adopted the moniker of Pioneer based on the intent to become the first league in that new division. All the league's members are committed to the non-scholarship football model.

Congrats on the expansion.

SO its very clear from this realse Patty is clearly trying to seperate her schools by describing it as a Division I non-scholarship model.

Sorry, Dayton and USD fans, but IMO its very clear that you guys are not going to ask the NCAA for an AQ to the playoffs anytime soon.

This is very different (and opposite) approach taken by the NEC. I wish you luck, but I can't see you guys in the playoffs anytime soon. If that is something you really want as fans, it will take a major chance in conference philosophy and leadership.

Syntax Error
December 5th, 2007, 11:33 AM
FCS growing again! Welcome CU!

TwinTownBisonFan
December 5th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Why wouldn't D1 add a division here? if it gets more popular, wouldn't D-1 NSS (non-scholarship subdivision) make sense? they could have their own playoffs or bowls or whatever... I feel like this would allow schools to have the joy of Saturday football without the big budget, and would get football back at so many D-1 schools who just couldn't swing the money.

appfan2008
December 5th, 2007, 11:49 AM
congrats on joining the pioneer now davidson will have a travel partner

TheValleyRaider
December 5th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Why wouldn't D1 add a division here? if it gets more popular, wouldn't D-1 NSS (non-scholarship subdivision) make sense? they could have their own playoffs or bowls or whatever... I feel like this would allow schools to have the joy of Saturday football without the big budget, and would get football back at so many D-1 schools who just couldn't swing the money.

Who would join other than the Pioneer League though? The MAAC is dead and the NEC has ramped up to scholarships. To me, this sounds like the PFL Presidents are going to try and pull an Ivy League here, and while not banning postseason play for their members, won't do anything to encourage it xtwocentsx

DetroitFlyer
December 5th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Congrats on the expansion.

SO its very clear from this realse Patty is clearly trying to seperate her schools by describing it as a Division I non-scholarship model.

Sorry, Dayton and USD fans, but IMO its very clear that you guys are not going to ask the NCAA for an AQ to the playoffs anytime soon.

This is very different (and opposite) approach taken by the NEC. I wish you luck, but I can't see you guys in the playoffs anytime soon. If that is something you really want as fans, it will take a major chance in conference philosophy and leadership.

Clear as mud.... Many unresolved issues. The PFL is comitted to a meaningful post season experience.... A playoff AQ is not out of the question. Maybe not with 18 teams, but with 24, my guess is yes. One big concern is the OVC rule. The PFL is 1000 percent committed to the non-scholly model... Notice no Iona, no Marist, and a round robin format. If the Gridiron Classic dies and if the playoffs expand to 24 teams and if the OVC rule does not pass, look for the PFL champ in the playoffs via an AQ.

TheValleyRaider
December 5th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Clear as mud.... Many unresolved issues. The PFL is comitted to a meaningful post season experience.... A playoff AQ is not out of the question. Maybe not with 18 teams, but with 24, my guess is yes. One big concern is the OVC rule. The PFL is 1000 percent committed to the non-scholly model... Notice no Iona, no Marist, and a round robin format. If the Gridiron Classic dies and if the playoffs expand to 24 teams and if the OVC rule does not pass, look for the PFL champ in the playoffs via an AQ.

So you have reason to believe they'll apply for an auto-bid? xconfusedx

Just because the Playoffs expand to 18 or however many teams doesn't mean the PFL will just be handed one of those spots. Like the Ivies, they have to say they want it xtwocentsx xpeacex

TwinTownBisonFan
December 5th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Who would join other than the Pioneer League though? The MAAC is dead and the NEC has ramped up to scholarships. To me, this sounds like the PFL Presidents are going to try and pull an Ivy League here, and while not banning postseason play for their members, won't do anything to encourage it xtwocentsx

I would agree generally, but there are almost 100 IAAA schools, many of whom had football but dropped it. They would be able to add football without crazy high costs, and it could bring the saturday football exp. back to their campuses.

DetroitFlyer
December 5th, 2007, 12:13 PM

The PFL has pushed this very agenda for 15 years..... For 15 years, the NCAA has said NO!!!!

There is a fear that if the option became available as an NCAA supported sub-sub-division, that many current scholarship teams would sign up thereby eliminating many potential scholarships for student/athletes....

So the NCAA will not kill the non-scholarship teams, but they will also not support them by extending a playoff bid.... In effect, the OVC rule has been enforced for 15 years. I completely disagree with Patty and the PFL Administrators that "this level" of football will grow. I think that one conference can remain as things are currently structured. Unless non-scholarship conferences can obtain an AQ, I expect the total number of teams to hold steady for years to come. I

Seahawks Fan
December 5th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Congrats to Campbell! Welcome to FCS. xsmileyclapx

WCU_FL_Alum
December 5th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Congratulation Campbell!!

I didn't know ya'll were fielding a team. Good news for Campbell.

TwinTownBisonFan
December 5th, 2007, 03:29 PM
The PFL has pushed this very agenda for 15 years..... For 15 years, the NCAA has said NO!!!!

There is a fear that if the option became available as an NCAA supported sub-sub-division, that many current scholarship teams would sign up thereby eliminating many potential scholarships for student/athletes....

So the NCAA will not kill the non-scholarship teams, but they will also not support them by extending a playoff bid.... In effect, the OVC rule has been enforced for 15 years. I completely disagree with Patty and the PFL Administrators that "this level" of football will grow. I think that one conference can remain as things are currently structured. Unless non-scholarship conferences can obtain an AQ, I expect the total number of teams to hold steady for years to come. I

xcoffeex
Thanks for the education, I wasn't familiar with either the NCAA's thinking on the matter, or any logical reason to oppose... food for thought, that's for sure.

I sense a lot of hostility toward PFL on this board... not really sure why in total. I will say that their chair seems a bit arrogant, but that said the idea of non-scholarship football at the d-1 level has merit IMO. I hardly think that it would somehow eliminate the big programs, or the fcs... it would be its own brand. I also think the NCAA could clearly structure the rules to avoid the dilemma you've described... but i suspect that the NCAA isn't fond of sponsoring non-scholarship anything above the DIII level.

Fresno St. Alum
December 5th, 2007, 03:50 PM
I wonder how long Campbell will stay non-scholly. I kind of think their plan is to get into the Big South for all-sports and at the worst be a football affiliate.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

USDFAN_55
December 5th, 2007, 05:38 PM
How about the PFL going to a north south split division to allow for more than 3 OOC games? This was done before when Davidson, Morehead, Jacksonville, and Austin Peay joined back in 2002 I believe.

gophoenix
December 5th, 2007, 07:17 PM
I wonder how long Campbell will stay non-scholly. I kind of think their plan is to get into the Big South for all-sports and at the worst be a football affiliate.

I Don't know, wasn't Campbell a charter member for the Big South?

Cobblestone
December 5th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Welcome to FCS Campbell, glad to have you.

Syntax Error
December 5th, 2007, 07:19 PM
bad blood between the Big South and Campbell. Plus the PFL made them vow to be non-scholly.

FCS Preview
December 5th, 2007, 07:21 PM
How about the PFL going to a north south split division to allow for more than 3 OOC games? This was done before when Davidson, Morehead, Jacksonville, and Austin Peay joined back in 2002 I believe.
Next year is a 12-game year, so they can have 4 OOC games.
And with the "quality" of some of the PFL opponents, they're better with fewer games. ;)

BearsCountry
December 5th, 2007, 07:54 PM

Look for the A-Sun to have a non-scholly football league soon.

Zoo
December 5th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Welcome, Camels, to FCS! xthumbsupx

Yes! It's always great to get more teams in the FCS.