PDA

View Full Version : Felton #1 fullback according to Sporting News

PaladinFan
December 4th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Take it for what its worth...I still think Hester from LSU will be picked up first, I think hes a more physical runner. However, Felton does possess that fluid athleticism and ball catching ability NFL teams like in a fullback.

Jerome Felton
FB, Furman

War Room analysis
Strengths: A well-built, muscular fullback with exceptional natural strength. A strong and powerful inside runner who consistently gains yards after contact and is a surprisingly fluid athlete. Has shown the ability to punish tacklers by delivering a violent blow. Follows his blocks well and makes cuts better than most fullbacks. Has the flexibility to get low and drive up into the defender to make violent lead blocks and knock his man backward. Even when his technique slips, usually has the strength to eliminate his man if he locks up on him. Catches the ball surprisingly well for such a big back; plucks the ball with his hands and can adjust to make tough catches.

Weaknesses: Rarely plays with good technique. Must become much more consistent in using good technique as a lead blocker; cannot stay upright or duck his head as often as he does now. Does not play aggressively on every snap. Not an explosive runner who can burst through the hole and take runs the distance.

Bottom line: Felton is a small-school prospect with the size, strength and athleticism necessary to be a physical lead blocker and very good starting fullback in the NFL. But to achieve that, he needs to improve his technique a lot. Felton is the type of player who needs a season as a backup to work on his blocking technique before he will be ready to start in the NFL. He reminds us a lot of current Redskins' fullback Mike Sellers, who has developed into a solid player with the versatility to make an impact as a blocker, short-yardage ballcarrier and receiver.

ASUMountaineer
December 4th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Good to hear. Congrats to Felton for being the #1 FB according to The Sporting News. Hope he is successful come draft day. Representing the FCS and SoCon well.

appfan2008
December 4th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Good luck to him... I think he was a great player at furman and should be a pretty good pro player... great honor to be the number one fullback

HiHiYikas
December 4th, 2007, 09:44 PM
I can't wait to start cheering for him on Sundays.

One of the more memorable "bad guys" I've seen come into KBS.

SeattleGriz
December 4th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Justin Green from Montana was one of our higher pro drafts, and he did it as a FB.

Seems there isn't much out there for decent FB's. No smack, it just seems that the NFL appreciates them so much more than FCS.

Big congrats to Felton. May he have a great NFL career.

WyomingGrizFan
December 4th, 2007, 11:44 PM
From what I was hearing, I would have thought Omar Cuff of Delaware was the #1 FB, then I looked around and he's all of 5' 10" & 195 lbs. Amazing.

I don't know if the NFL really likes FBs that much anymore though. WRs that can catch and run with the ball afterwards seems to be the big deal nowadays; but one never knows.

KiddBrewer
December 5th, 2007, 01:12 AM
everybody that knows Appalachian football knows and hates jerome felton, but i must congratulate him, he truly has had one hell of a career, even though this year was down a lot. he is a beast and everybody in conference knows it, and he will, i believe be very productive in the NFL, much like a mack strong or lorenzo neal maybe.

Dane96
December 5th, 2007, 07:53 AM
No offense to Felton, but I think the Sporting News is a bit off. The first Full-back taken will come in the 4th or 5th round and it will be Owen Schmitt of West Virginia.

He is a poor man's version of Brian Leonard who has the same deficiencies of Felton...but is considered a much "tougher" and "physical" football player.

The scouts love him.

Cage Free, Farm Fresh
December 5th, 2007, 09:31 AM
I'd have to agree with Dane56. According to www.nfldraftscout.com Felton is the 4th rated FB and a 6-7 round projected pick. Of course, all of these rankings are irrelevant and the only thing that matters are the opinions of NFL GM's.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=FB&draftyear=2008&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC

smallcollegefbfan
December 5th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Take it for what its worth...I still think Hester from LSU will be picked up first, I think hes a more physical runner. However, Felton does possess that fluid athleticism and ball catching ability NFL teams like in a fullback.

Jerome Felton
FB, Furman

War Room analysis
Strengths: A well-built, muscular fullback with exceptional natural strength. A strong and powerful inside runner who consistently gains yards after contact and is a surprisingly fluid athlete. Has shown the ability to punish tacklers by delivering a violent blow. Follows his blocks well and makes cuts better than most fullbacks. Has the flexibility to get low and drive up into the defender to make violent lead blocks and knock his man backward. Even when his technique slips, usually has the strength to eliminate his man if he locks up on him. Catches the ball surprisingly well for such a big back; plucks the ball with his hands and can adjust to make tough catches.

Weaknesses: Rarely plays with good technique. Must become much more consistent in using good technique as a lead blocker; cannot stay upright or duck his head as often as he does now. Does not play aggressively on every snap. Not an explosive runner who can burst through the hole and take runs the distance.

Bottom line: Felton is a small-school prospect with the size, strength and athleticism necessary to be a physical lead blocker and very good starting fullback in the NFL. But to achieve that, he needs to improve his technique a lot. Felton is the type of player who needs a season as a backup to work on his blocking technique before he will be ready to start in the NFL. He reminds us a lot of current Redskins' fullback Mike Sellers, who has developed into a solid player with the versatility to make an impact as a blocker, short-yardage ballcarrier and receiver.

I think some NFL teams have him No. 1 too and that is what matters. Rumor is that Felton is going to be with the best trainer in the business this offseason. I would not be surprised to see him land in the first day.

smallcollegefbfan
December 5th, 2007, 09:56 AM
I'd have to agree with Dane56. According to www.nfldraftscout.com Felton is the 4th rated FB and a 6-7 round projected pick. Of course, all of these rankings are irrelevant and the only thing that matters are the opinions of NFL GM's.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=FB&draftyear=2008&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC

I agree that he might not be the best FB hands down, however, they are crazy if they think Felton will be there in the 7th round. After this season with his injuries and such I see him as the 2nd-3rd FB but no way he lasts past the 5th round. Just seems he is the type of player on and off the field that you want on your team. If he lasts to the 5th round he is a huge steal. I would be shocked if GMs had him in the late day two range.

lizrdgizrd
December 5th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Congrats Jerome! I'm sure he'll do well in the NFL. I won't predict draft position because it's useless, but I do know there are plenty of NFL teams who are in need of a tough blocker with soft hands. xnodx

Dane96
December 5th, 2007, 10:11 AM
I agree that he might not be the best FB hands down, however, they are crazy if they think Felton will be there in the 7th round. After this season with his injuries and such I see him as the 2nd-3rd FB but no way he lasts past the 5th round. Just seems he is the type of player on and off the field that you want on your team. If he lasts to the 5th round he is a huge steal. I would be shocked if GMs had him in the late day two range.

Point is there is NO SUPER FB out there to draft a FB before round 3 or 4 (the earliest) and Felton will not be the first of that bunch.

I will eat crow if I am wrong, but a player that has broken something like 8 facemasks with his blocks-- with the relative same skills as Felton-- is going first; That is Schmitt. And I hate West Virginia.

aust42
December 5th, 2007, 10:24 AM
I thought the NFL quit using Fullbacks.

GannonFan
December 5th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Has Felton done any lead blocking at Furman? It's great to be the top FB and all, but in reality the NFL doesn't use FB's for very much other than blocking. Sure, they catch some passes here and there, but it's never a focus on any NFL offense. He's there to block and lead block for the gravy train running the ball behind him. Has Felton blocked like that at Furman?

rjg129
December 5th, 2007, 11:48 AM
im happy for him

he gave me the same type of nightmares AP did at GS

OL FU
December 5th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Has Felton done any lead blocking at Furman? It's great to be the top FB and all, but in reality the NFL doesn't use FB's for very much other than blocking. Sure, they catch some passes here and there, but it's never a focus on any NFL offense. He's there to block and lead block for the gravy train running the ball behind him. Has Felton blocked like that at Furman?

yes, Felton only averaged 15 carries a game. We averaged 43 rushing plays a game. Teams keyed on him all year so he was used mostly as a decoy on play action and sweeps or options around the end and as a blocking back. xnodx

GannonFan
December 5th, 2007, 12:00 PM
yes, Felton only averaged 15 carries a game. We averaged 43 rushing plays a game. Teams keyed on him all year so he was used mostly as a decoy on play action and sweeps or options around the end and as a blocking back. xnodx

Thanks - that should make him legit to get drafted, although the draft rarely dips too deep into the batch of fullbacks. xthumbsupx

OL FU
December 5th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Thanks - that should make him legit to get drafted, although the draft rarely dips too deep into the batch of fullbacks. xthumbsupx

don't have a clue about the draft. I am not an NFL fan. Someone ask me what I thought about his chances at being drafted and I said, I don't know, does the NFL still use fullbacksxeyebrowx

APPdopted
December 5th, 2007, 12:45 PM
It's exciting to see two quality FBs in this draft like Felton and Schmitt, they'll be great pros b/c they are both beasts in college. Good for a position that doesn't always get al the love and recognition these days!

WCU_FL_Alum
December 5th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Best of luck to Felton in the NFL. It will be nice to not have to see him run over The Cats like he did the last few years.