PDA

View Full Version : Aritficial Noisemakers

rudy1648
December 4th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Last week at the ASU - EWU game, many of the Eagles fans had boom sticks (2 inflatable tubes which are slammed together to make noise) which they were blowing up before the game. The announcement was made that NCAA prohibited any aritficial noise makers of any kind, but they did not seem to notice nor deflate the sticks. During the game, the EWU fans were banging the sticks whenever their team did something to be excited about. No one ever told them to put the sticks away. I have heard on another thread of people being told they could not bring cow bells to games. Question is,,,who is responsible for enforcing NCAA rules such as no artificial noise makers? Are boom sticks not considered artificial noise makers? If one group uses noise makers then all should be able to. Opinions? Answers?

spdram
December 4th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Unfortunately boom (thunder) sticks are specifically prohibited at playoff games. We got into a big discussion about this at Richmond before the EKU game. It's up to the home team to enforce.

From NCAA Div I Championship Handbook:

Home Team Environment

It is the expectation of the committee that hosts of any contest during the NCAA Division I Football Championship provide a competitive environment consistent with the significance of the championship event.

The championship environment includes the participating teams, crowd, bands, cheerleaders, public address announcer, in-venue audio and video content as well as other individuals, events and elements associated with the contest. While preliminary round competition is held at campus facilities, the environment surrounding the event may need to be notably different from regular season contests within the facility. The following are examples of expectations of the committee from the host institution in this regard:

1. Artificial Elements. Artificial elements (e.g., fireworks, smoke, cannons, artificial sounds/noises, video board productions) used to enhance the experience for participating teams and fans may be used by either team; however, such elements (e.g., mascots, video boards) should not be used to demean the opposing team in any manner or create an unsportsmanlike environment.

2. Artificial Noisemakers. Artificial noisemakers (e.g., thunder sticks, cow bells, air horns) shall not be permitted inside the venue, and such instruments shall be removed from the playing and spectator areas at the request of the NCAA game representative. Bands, or any component thereof, shall not play while the game is in progress (after either team breaks its huddle). See 2007-08 NCAA Division I General Requirements Handbook for additional information.

3. Seating. Host institutions shall adhere to all NCAA championship policies regarding the seating and location of home and visiting fans as well as team bands. It should be understood that the intent of such policies is to provide an atmosphere that helps limit the impact of crowd and band noise in the seating area immediately around the team bench. See other sections regarding seating within this handbook for additional information.

4. Monitoring. The host institution shall designate a person for each sideline to be responsible for ensuring a championship environment for both teams and ensuring that only appropriately credentialed individuals are inside the team bench areas during the contest. Further, the NCAA game representative shall be empowered to address any situation that may not be meeting the intent of expected championship environment

APPdopted
December 4th, 2007, 03:55 PM
I have been to many games across the Southeast at different venues. I have seen the boomsticks only twice. (App vs. Ga Southern this year and NCSU vs. UVA in Raleigh while Philip Rivers was there) I can think of many an occasion of seeing them on tv at College games around the nation. I've been to two ACC schools (NCSU-Undergrad, Clemson-Grad) and I had never heard the announcement about noisemakers till I heard it recently at an ASU playoff game. When was this rule created? Is it really a rule in FBS? I know the tradition of the Egg Bowl and Miss St. has always used Cowbells b/c I have family ties there. I'm pretty sure Tx A&M uses them as well. Why are they not allowed all of a sudden in FCS? And what advantage are they when I saw a recent post talking about noise not mattering with silent counts teams use now.

henfan
December 4th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Who cares? I mean, really. If your team has to resort to worrying about noisemakers, you're probably toast.

WVAPPmountaineer
December 4th, 2007, 04:08 PM
My understanding of the rule is that regular season games are dictated by SoCon rules (forbidding whatever ---) and, of course, playoff games are dictated by the NCAA - I did hear where at least one APP fan had to put his cowbell away but as was stated nothing done about the sticks - And right, who cares --- those EWU fans came across country to support their team and if they wanted to bang those thunder sticks then fine with me - the NCAA really tries to take the fun out of college sports ---

ShgooseAPP
December 4th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Noise makers who cares. That in my opinion is just another one of thoes stupid NCAA rules that does not make any sence. It's call home field advantage for a reason. I am only refering to cowbells and thunder sticks (can't stand air horns). But really if the other teams fans want to bring noise makers let them. I'm bringing my cowbells no matter what and if security takes it well i'll pull out another one. I haven't missed an ASU playoff game the past 3 years and i've had my cowbells with me at every playoff game. I'm not stoping because of another idiot rule the NCAA made up.

citdog
December 4th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Wanna borrow our Touchdown Cannon Crew?

bench
December 4th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Stupid rule, maybe, but this is proof that a broken clock is right twice a day. Thunder sticks are annoying as hell. I hope the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim of California of America are happy with their contribution to society.

RobsPics
December 4th, 2007, 04:30 PM
I'd draw the line on blow horns though. That would just be too annoying to sit next to.

james_lawfirm
December 4th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Wanna borrow our Touchdown Cannon Crew?

Now there is a noise maker! Wow!

griz8791
December 4th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Do you suppose there is a similar kill-joy rule for bowl games? I'll bet there isn't.

xwhistlex

jstate83
December 4th, 2007, 04:42 PM
The NCAA/SEC banned artificial noise makes in the SEC.
Around here it's called the Mississippi state "Cow Bell" rule.

Those thing's are not supposed to be carried into the stadium.
YEAH >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>RIGHT.

Them fool's be up in Starksville 50,000 plus clanging custom made cowbell's the size of a church bell's right in front of the NCAA. xlolx
Can you imagine how loud a gaggle of cowbell's are. xlolx

http://www.autumnspectacle.com/Pageantry/Miss%20State%20(cowbell).jpg

What they gonna do.
Kick everybody out that has a thunder stick.xlolx

ASUMountaineer
December 4th, 2007, 04:44 PM
When I see thunder (boom) sticks I immediately think of the...RALLY MONKEY!

Ud1Hens
December 4th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Yeah and Delaware State's band played through many Delaware possessions (including during the play) and while UD players were injured. No actions or penalties were given so it is whatever.

Eight Legger
December 4th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Every UR fan who comes to the game will be given a flashlight to shine directly into the eyes of Appy's offense for the entire game. I see nothing in the rules prohibiting this. . . .

xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

thmst30
December 4th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Yea those 10 boomsticks sure were irritating. I mean all the noise they produced turned that game around in EWU's favor in the final minutes. Sitting on the other side of the stadium (not trying to be rude), but I never heard them or the EWU fans the whole game because they were drowned out, as they should have been.

No, but honestly I have NEVER understood the rules that do everything they can to eliminate home field advantage during the playoffs. THATS THE WHOLE POINT OF WANTING TO PLAYING AT HOME, to have the advantage in every way possible off the field. Its just ludicrous and unneeded, kinda like the excessive celebration rule, let the damn players celebrate after making a big play, IF they very obviously take it too far, then you can throw a flag.

crunifan
December 4th, 2007, 06:58 PM
If you guys want to be loud, just stick a metal roof on your stadium. Does wonders!

DFW HOYA
December 4th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Is it really a rule in FBS? I know the tradition of the Egg Bowl and Miss St. has always used Cowbells b/c I have family ties there. I'm pretty sure Tx A&M uses them as well.

No cowbells used in Aggieland.

Skjellyfetti
December 4th, 2007, 07:21 PM
If you guys want to be loud, just stick a metal roof on your stadium. Does wonders!

no.

ASUMountaineer
December 4th, 2007, 07:25 PM
I have a noisemaker, my big mouth. I will be using it in full force on Friday. My apologies to anyone it may offend. If it does offend you, sucks to be you.

Always a-grinnin'...xnodx

Ivytalk
December 4th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Artificial noisemakers suck. Anything from cannons to thunderstix to cowbells. The REAL noise should come from the air-filled lungs of inspired, inebriated FCS football fans.xthumbsupx

SouthernEagle
December 4th, 2007, 07:43 PM
I have been to many games across the Southeast at different venues. I have seen the boomsticks only twice. (App vs. Ga Southern this year and NCSU vs. UVA in Raleigh while Philip Rivers was there) I can think of many an occasion of seeing them on tv at College games around the nation. I've been to two ACC schools (NCSU-Undergrad, Clemson-Grad) and I had never heard the announcement about noisemakers till I heard it recently at an ASU playoff game. When was this rule created? Is it really a rule in FBS? I know the tradition of the Egg Bowl and Miss St. has always used Cowbells b/c I have family ties there. I'm pretty sure Tx A&M uses them as well. Why are they not allowed all of a sudden in FCS? And what advantage are they when I saw a recent post talking about noise not mattering with silent counts teams use now.

Yeah it seemed like the entire App State home side had those yellow sticks. Do they make noise? I thought they were more for show than anything else but I've never held one myself.

AppGirl
December 4th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Artificial noisemakers suck. Anything from cannons to thunderstix to cowbells. The REAL noise should come from the air-filled lungs of inspired, inebriated FCS football fans.xthumbsupx

Sorry, can't let my 14 year old get inebriated. xrulesx (He's the one that got in trouble for the cowbell.) And I won't get inebriated in front of him. xcoffeex We both make plenty of noise from our air-filled lungs, though. xhypedx

thmst30
December 4th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Yeah it seemed like the entire App State home side had those yellow sticks. Do they make noise? I thought they were more for show than anything else but I've never held one myself.

That was the dumbest idea for Black Saturday. First off I hate those things, not to mention they were bright yellow which doesn't coincide with the whole black theme. Never again, dumb sticks.

rudy1648
December 5th, 2007, 12:05 PM
seems like there are special rules NCAA imposes for playoffs, that are not in affect for regular season games. It gets confusing as to what can go on and cannot. The main reason for my original question was clarification. If one rule is not going to be inforced,,then how can they inforce all of them? If one group can bring noise makers, then why not let everyone? I am not against them or for them. I usually yell enough to be without voice by Sun morning. But let's get it straight one way or another.

APPdopted
December 5th, 2007, 12:35 PM

I was surprised when we got them at the State game that day...I had never used them and didn't think a balloon could in essence heighten crowd noise, but I know they were very loud and along with our yelling helped the Pack D frustrate Matt Schaub and the Wahoos...You'd be surprised too at what 50thousand plus sound like in a stadium!

URMite
December 5th, 2007, 01:52 PM

At UR vs EKU in the first round, they confiscated what they could before you entered, the ushers took away the megaphone(non-electronic) from our cheer organizer who was in the stands. Then the police took away the next two small ones he used, including a 9" plastic one. Surprised they didn't come after the rolled up program he finished with. xnonono2x

But our stadium has always been a little different. We've had police tried to remove students if they don't sit down and shut up. xoopsx

appfan2008
December 5th, 2007, 01:59 PM
All i know is that i am so glad that we are able to have our third down bell as well as Fish (the announcer) say and another Mountaineer "FIRST DOWN" that makes me happy!

Appaholic
December 5th, 2007, 02:02 PM
I'm bringing Citdog.....would the NCAA consider him an "artificial noisemaker"? xconfusedx

ASUMountaineer
December 5th, 2007, 02:23 PM
I'm bringing Citdog.....would the NCAA consider him an "artificial noisemaker"? xconfusedx

Never know with CitDog. I hope to meet him Friday. Where will you guys before game time or sitting during the game?

Killsback
December 5th, 2007, 02:29 PM
A lot of the enforcement depends on who the NCAA representative is at the game. At the SIU game last year vs. UT Martin..martin fans tried to bring in milk jugs with pennies and other noisy things inside...the NCAA rep was outside the gate and specifically told the SIU game management crew to take away all the milk jugs.

This year some U-Mass fans tried to bring in cow bells and again they were told that no artificial noise makers would be allowed in the stadium. They bit**ed and moaned about it, burt that was the rule handed down by the NCAA rep on hand.

Appaholic
December 5th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Never know with CitDog. I hope to meet him Friday. Where will you guys before game time or sitting during the game?

I'll be in Raley.....Citdog is coming later......we'll be in section 13, front row....I'm making citdog wear an ASU cheerleading outfit.....may even put his hair in pig tails.....

ASUMountaineer
December 5th, 2007, 02:49 PM
I'll be in Raley.....Citdog is coming later......we'll be in section 13, front row....I'm making citdog wear an ASU cheerleading outfit.....may even put his hair in pig tails.....

HAHA, I bet he will like that. I am in 5A, so I may have to try and make my way over there and meet you guys. (hit up some Woodland's on the way back)

PapaBear
December 5th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Still more proof that "NCAA" stands for No Clue About Athletics.