PDA

View Full Version : Rod Broadway and Duke

MACHIAVELLI
December 4th, 2007, 02:02 PM
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/index.php?title=br...more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Grambling State head coach Rod Broadway arrived at Raleigh-Durham International Airport late this morning and left in the company of Mike Sobb, Duke's assistant athletics director of marketing.

When asked if he was here to interview for the Duke football job, Broadway said he was "just taking care of some business here."

Broadway played at North Carolina and worked as an assistant at Duke, Florida, East Carolina and UNC. After being fired at UNC, Broadway became the head coach at N.C. Central and led the Eagles to back-to-back CIAA championships and a perfect regular season finish before leaving for Grambling earlier this year.

On Monday, Duke spoke with Navy coach Paul Johnson about the football vacancy.

Appaholic
December 4th, 2007, 02:08 PM
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/index.php?title=br...more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Grambling State head coach Rod Broadway arrived at Raleigh-Durham International Airport late this morning and left in the company of Mike Sobb, Duke's assistant athletics director of marketing.

When asked if he was here to interview for the Duke football job, Broadway said he was "just taking care of some business here."

Broadway played at North Carolina and worked as an assistant at Duke, Florida, East Carolina and UNC. After being fired at UNC, Broadway became the head coach at N.C. Central and led the Eagles to back-to-back CIAA championships and a perfect regular season finish before leaving for Grambling earlier this year.

On Monday, Duke spoke with Navy coach Paul Johnson about the football vacancy.

xeekx xeekx WHY!xeekx xeekx You sure he wasn't just trying to score some tickets to the basketball game? Surely he's not considering leaving Navy for the football sahara in Durham....xnonono2x

citdog
December 4th, 2007, 02:09 PM
i thought PJ was going to Nebraska, but they were not smart enough to hire himxsmhx

AlphaSigMD
December 4th, 2007, 02:17 PM
xeekx xeekx WHY!xeekx xeekx You sure he wasn't just trying to score some tickets to the basketball game? Surely he's not considering leaving Navy for the football sahara in Durham....xnonono2x

To me, Duke would be a very promising job opening for any coach who has ties to the area.

1. Prestige of being at the best Non-Ivy Academic-Athletic Institution (stanford included)
2. It's been bad for years, so instant credibility if you get 5-6 wins (in a year).
3. Its in the soft side of the ACC.
4. Ted roof got 6 wins in 6 years...so you know that you atleast have some time to put down roots.
5. The athletes/players at Navy aren't too much better than those at Duke, and he has already proven he can turn around a program with a offensive scheme that works well with undersized players.

If i were AD at Duke, PJ would be HIGH on my list as well.

mcveyrl
December 4th, 2007, 02:25 PM
To me, Duke would be a very promising job opening for any coach who has ties to the area.

1. Prestige of being at the best Non-Ivy Academic-Athletic Institution (stanford included)
2. It's been bad for years, so instant credibility if you get 5-6 wins (in a year).
3. Its in the soft side of the ACC.
4. Ted roof got 6 wins in 6 years...so you know that you atleast have some time to put down roots.
5. The athletes/players at Navy aren't too much better than those at Duke, and he has already proven he can turn around a program with a offensive scheme that works well with undersized players.

I would think that the athletes at Navy are a little more fit to run Johnson's offense. But, that's another advantage, the admin. would have to give you some time to get your athletes in there, too.

Appaholic
December 4th, 2007, 02:29 PM

I agree.....but, if I was PJ, Duke would not be high on my list......there are considerably better jobs out there he could get........ad I sure as he!! would rather stay in Annapolis than move to Durham....:(

WVAPPmountaineer
December 4th, 2007, 03:04 PM
I agree.....but, if I was PJ, Duke would not be high on my list......there are considerably better jobs out there he could get........ad I sure as he!! would rather stay in Annapolis than move to Durham...
I'm not sure about that - most programs (fans) don't want any part of the "boring" option attack he has mastered - he might be just right for Duke as long as he can recruit some of the same type QBs he had running his offense at GSU - Everyone knows it is tough to prepare for in a weeks timeframe - Duke is never going to get the stud recruits so to me Johnson and his option attack sound like a good move ---

McNeese_beat
December 4th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Broadway would be a good hire for Duke, especially considering he has ties to the area. Duke strikes me as a place where you need a coach that knows the lay of the land.

lizrdgizrd
December 4th, 2007, 04:09 PM
If I were PJ, I wouldn't touch Duke with a 10' pole as long as Alleva is there. xnonox

If Duke were to suddenly find itself with an administration that is committed to helping the football program grow I think it would be a great place to coach. But not until then. xnonono2x

MACHIAVELLI
December 4th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Duke would do well to hire a BLACK coach. Its relationship with Durham, despite all of its efforts to say the contrary, is terrible. Blacks in Durham hate Duke and see it as a bastion of racist-white-privilege, and hiring Rod Broadway would go a long way towards ameliorating that sentiment.

ACCNow (http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/index.php?title=broadway_leaves_rdu_with_duke_empl oyee&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1)

MACHIAVELLI
December 4th, 2007, 10:28 PM
NBC17 EXCLUSIVE: Former NCCU Coach Broadway Meets with Duke

Tuesday, Dec 04, 2007 - 07:16 PM

NBC 17 learned from a source inside Duke University that former NCCU head coach and current Grambling State coach Rod Broadway is now at the top of the list, and had a dinner meeting at the Washington-Duke this evening with Blue Devil Athletic Director Joe Alleva.

If hired, Broadway would be the first minority head coach of any sport in the history of Duke University.
Other rumors include Navy head coach Paul Johnson. School officials flew to Annapolis yesterday trying to woo Johnson, but tonight, he is on a private jet to Dallas where SMU is expected to make him an offer.

NBC17 (http://www.nbc17.com/midatlantic/ncn/sports.apx.-content-art icles-NCN-2007-12-04-0032.html)

lizrdgizrd
December 5th, 2007, 08:05 AM
If I were Broadway, I'd think twice about Duke. The entire administration has nothing but apathy towards the football program. I don't think he'd be happy in that situation given the support he's used to from Central and now Grambling. xsmhx

AlphaSigMD
December 5th, 2007, 09:14 AM

NBC 17 learned from a source inside Duke University that former NCCU head coach and current Grambling State coach Rod Broadway is now at the top of the list, and had a dinner meeting at the Washington-Duke this evening with Blue Devil Athletic Director Joe Alleva.

If hired, Broadway would be the first minority head coach of any sport in the history of Duke University.
Other rumors include Navy head coach Paul Johnson. School officials flew to Annapolis yesterday trying to woo Johnson, but tonight, he is on a private jet to Dallas where SMU is expected to make him an offer.
NBC17 (http://www.nbc17.com/midatlantic/ncn/sports.apx.-content-art icles-NCN-2007-12-04-0032.html)

Ok, that makes NO SENSE. Why in the world would he take a step down to go to SMU over take a lateral move/step up to go to Duke. Lets be clear here, SMU is a team of the past in a horrible conference that has no shot, NO FREAKIN SHOT at ever winning a national championship or even getting a BCS game. Ever. SMU got the death penalty back in 86-87...so they will always be remembered as that school that monumentally cheated and got the death penalty out of their own stupidity. No way does anybody touch them recuiting wise, and they can't become the national darlings either, because they've never been vindicated or rehabilitated or anything. Wow.

Atleast Duke's in a BCS conference.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 5th, 2007, 09:53 AM

I'm not sure if that says a lot about Broadway... a lot about Duke.... or a lot about Grambling. xeyebrowx

jstate83
December 5th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Kinda make you believe what Broadway said after the B.C. when confronted by some nutt alum's from Gram.

Never heard a coach go off like that on a school he currently coaches at before. xeekx

Appaholic
December 5th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Ok, that makes NO SENSE. Why in the world would he take a step down to go to SMU over take a lateral move/step up to go to Duke. Lets be clear here, SMU is a team of the past in a horrible conference that has no shot, NO FREAKIN SHOT at ever winning a national championship or even getting a BCS game. Ever. SMU got the death penalty back in 86-87...so they will always be remembered as that school that monumentally cheated and got the death penalty out of their own stupidity. No way does anybody touch them recuiting wise, and they can't become the national darlings either, because they've never been vindicated or rehabilitated or anything. Wow.

Let's not forget.....SMU is in Texas where memories are short and pockets deep where football is concerned.....xreadx

McNeese_beat
December 5th, 2007, 10:15 AM

SMU has a proud tradition pre-death penalty and a lot of the movers and shakers (probably some of the people involved in getting SMU the death penalty 20 years ago, ha.) are stepping to the plate. I hear there's a commitment of $10 million from boosters to attract a big-name coach and to give him the upgrades needed in the program along with a BCS-level seven-figure salary.

And for them, an option guy like Johnson's perfect. If you recall, in the Pony Express days, they were a triple-option team with Dickerson and James running the ball.

AlphaSigMD
December 5th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Let's not forget.....SMU is in Texas where memories are short and pockets deep where football is concerned.....xreadx

I believe that the faithful have already espoused themselves to either burnt orange or aggie crimson. Or cowboy blue and white. SMU, while being a good school, is a joke and an embaressment to the entire states football legacy.

TheValleyRaider
December 5th, 2007, 11:13 AM
I believe that the faithful have already espoused themselves to either burnt orange or aggie crimson. Or cowboy blue and white. SMU, while being a good school, is a joke and an embaressment to the entire states football legacy.

Only because they got busted for stuff plenty of schools were doing

If PJ can turn Navy into a real contender, he'll do the same thing at SMU in talent-rich Texas, especially given the Ponies are in C-USA, and not the Big 12 with UT and OU

MACHIAVELLI
December 5th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Broadway latest to be interviewed

When asked if he was in town to interview for the Duke football job, Broadway said he was "just taking care of some business here."

Broadway is in his first season at Grambling State.

He quickly resurrected the struggling Louisiana school's program, winning a division title and positioning the Tigers for a run at the SWAC championship.

Broadway, an Oakboro, N.C., native, would not comment at length Tuesday. But his agent, Nathan Whitaker, said, "Rod has a job at Grambling that he is very happy with. He also loves Duke and the state of North Carolina. He was excited to have an opportunity to talk about [the Duke job]."

Although his resume is impressive, Duke as a general policy has not hired a UNC graduate as its football or basketball coach.

Broadway, who is African-American, is considered one of the top minority coaches in the nation.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/duke/story/81187.html

SUjagTILLiDIE
December 5th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Kinda make you believe what Broadway said after the B.C. when confronted by some nutt alum's from Gram.

Never heard a coach go off like that on a school he currently coaches at before. xeekx

Payton wasn't talking to Broadway. He and a group of GSU grads were having a conversation, which Broadway over heard. Broadway lost his composure and said something to Payton first.

jstate83
December 5th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Payton wasn't talking to Broadway. He and a group of GSU grads were having a conversation, which Broadway over heard. Broadway lost his composure and said something to Payton first.

OK.xnodx

It was still the most brutal thing I have heard a sitting coach say about a University while still employed with them.xeekx

I saw that in the paper and said Broadway is toast now. xlolx
All I could do was laugh at those comment's.xlolx

lizrdgizrd
December 5th, 2007, 03:38 PM
OK.xnodx

It was still the most brutal thing I have heard a sitting coach say about a University while still employed with them.xeekx

Do you have a link to that article?

SUjagTILLiDIE
December 5th, 2007, 09:44 PM
OK.xnodx

Broadway had the deer in the headlights look before and during the Bayou Classic xlolx xlolx .

813Jag
December 5th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Do you have a link to that article?
Here it (http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-34/119597247119980.xml&coll=1) is.

lizrdgizrd
December 6th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Here it (http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-34/119597247119980.xml&coll=1) is.
Thanks! xthumbsupx

Syntax Error
December 6th, 2007, 08:23 AM
OK.xnodx
... former Grambling State standout Elfrid Payton engaged in a heated exchange with Broadway on the Superdome sideline.

In no uncertain terms, Payton let Broadway know he was less than happy about the Tigers' dispirited performance against their archrivals in the annual SWAC showdown.

The coach and former Canadian Football League star didn't mince words with each other before Broadway, visibly upset, made his way to the locker room to address his beleaguered team.

Payton apologized to Broadway later, but the message was sent loud and clear.

The Bayou Classic counts only one game in the standings, but in the hearts and souls of the proud Grambling faithful, it is far from just another game.

"That's a shame," Broadway said afterward to a huddle of reporters outside the locker room. "That's a shame, you know. We're trying as hard as we can try, and I don't want people on the sidelines. That's why I don't want people on the sidelines. They are down there cursing the players out and cursing and all this other stuff. All that is uncalled for, and that's not how we want to do business. And you know what? They can have this (expletive) job. If that's what they want to do, they can have this (expletive) job."

The emotional outburst from normally mild-mannered Broadway was as revealing as it was surprising.

He has encountered resistance from some of Grambling's old guard from the moment he was hired in January. Some Tigers alums, especially those who played under legendary coach Eddie Robinson, publicly questioned the move, saying the job should have gone to a "Grambling man."

Broadway didn't help matters earlier this week when he referred to his Bayou Classic debut as "my first dog-and-pony show." ...http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-34/119597247119980.xml&coll=1

McNeese_beat
December 6th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Wow!!!!

Maybe he should take the Duke job...over there nobody cares about any football game. The only way he'd get cursed out is if his team somehow got in the way of the basketball team...

mikebigg
December 7th, 2007, 10:36 AM

Yeah, he told him not to curse his players. Can't fault a coach for that!

Tim James
December 7th, 2007, 11:03 AM
If Grobe leaves Wake Forest for a better job they will probably become bad again and that will give Duke an oppertunity to take their spot in the ACC pecking order. Theres no way Wake and Duke can both be good at the same time.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 7th, 2007, 11:23 AM
If Broadway takes the Duke job, that news article makes it clear that he would have been all but forced out by the surrounding people. What's ironic is that he might have a SWAC championship under is belt (as a first year head coach!), having only lost two FBS money games and the Bayou Classic - and he's STILL run out of town. Now, I see that losing the Bayou Classic is a big deal, but what coach would be insane enough to want to step into this situation at Grambling if he jumps?

pete4256
December 7th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Paul Johnson is no longer a candidate at Duke. He's been hired by Georgia Tech.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/gatech/stories/2007/12/07/gtfoot_1208.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab

That relates to Broadway's situation, I guess.

jstate83
December 7th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Wow!!!!

Maybe he should take the Duke job...over there nobody cares about any football game. The only way he'd get cursed out is if his team somehow got in the way of the basketball team...

That's funny and very true when you really think about it. xlolx
Still would be a good move as a coach if he is offered the job. xthumbsupx

lizrdgizrd
December 7th, 2007, 01:34 PM
I still say Duke is a horrible place to coach football. No admin support, little student support, and don't try to compete with K for anything because he's basically the AD at this point anyway. xnonono2x

jstate83
December 7th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Yeah, he told him not to curse his players. Can't fault a coach for that!

Nope.
I don't blame him.xthumbsupx

We didn't have people cursing player's on the sideline but we did used to have a problem with too many "important" people down on the sideline's in the past.

They cut all that out Bell's last year understandably. xlolx

jstate83
December 7th, 2007, 01:37 PM
I still say Duke is a horrible place to coach football. No admin support, little student support, and don't try to compete with K for anything because he's basically the AD at this point anyway. xnonono2x

True.

But even modest sucess at Duke would lead to bigger things.
He been working with a small budget and even though DUKE budget is not as big as the titan's in FBS, Broadway still know how to get the most out of the least like most coaches on the FCS level.

Facilities won't be a problem anymore.

lizrdgizrd
December 7th, 2007, 01:49 PM
True.

But even modest sucess at Duke would lead to bigger things.
He been working with a small budget and even though DUKE budget is not as big as the titan's in FBS, Broadway still know how to get the most out of the least like most coaches on the FCS level.

Facilities won't be a problem anymore.
I'd just hate to seem him suffer through some bad seasons because of lack of admin support and that end up costing him down the road. xsmhx

McNeese_beat
December 7th, 2007, 03:42 PM

You're right...he almost can't lose. If he fails, hey, who can win at Duke? But if he does win, he will be revered.

Big Dawg
December 11th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Broadway ain't going to Duke...xsmiley_wix

Mr. Tiger
December 11th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Broadway ain't going to Duke...xsmiley_wix

We know where he is headed Big Dawg. xlolx