PDA

View Full Version : Delaware battles UNI... again

ChickenMan
December 4th, 2007, 06:11 AM
NCAA steps in to help UD prepare for SIU

NEWARK -- Sunday is videotape day for college football coaches beginning to analyze their team's next opponent.

Stuck in Iowa on Sunday, their charter aircraft covered with ice, University of Delaware coaches had an upcoming foe, Southern Illinois. But their videotape of the Salukis, which they'd received in a prearranged exchange, was back at their Carpenter Center offices.

They asked Northern Iowa, SIU's Gateway Conference rival, if they could borrow UNI's collection of Salukis videotape. UNI declined. "They said it was conference policy, 'We can't,' " Delaware coach K.C. Keeler said Monday, less than an hour after the Blue Hens finally arrived back at UD. "I said, 'You're giving us something we already have.' "

"I disagreed with that," Keeler said. "I might have said it a little stronger than that. We eventually got the NCAA involved."

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071204/SPORTS07/712040379/1002/SPORTS

RadMann
December 4th, 2007, 06:27 AM
I can see having conference come first so UNI's response makes sense to me. They want to help their conference mate as much as possible.

Tribe4SF
December 4th, 2007, 06:39 AM
I'm surprised by UNI's reaction. They could have called SIU to get their ok, and my guess is SIU would have said go ahead. The circumstances were extraordinary, and I think most coaches would react as Keeler suggests by doing all they could to support the concept of fair play.

A black-eye for the UNI staff.xthumbsdownx

Blue Hen Nation
December 4th, 2007, 07:23 AM
A bit classless if you ask me.

crunifan
December 4th, 2007, 07:29 AM
UNI should be helping out our conference member, not Delaware.

Franks Tanks
December 4th, 2007, 07:33 AM

Nope its just basic sportsmanship and part of the unwrittem rules coaches live by. All of these guys know each other and most would comply with the permission of SIU

Blue Hen Nation
December 4th, 2007, 07:36 AM

Huckleberry, SIU already gave us a tape. Where's the confusion? xconfusedx

crunifan
December 4th, 2007, 07:37 AM
I also like that UNI was apparently supposed to let Delaware use the UNI-Dome to practice in.

mcveyrl
December 4th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Huckleberry, SIU already gave us a tape. Where's the confusion? xconfusedx

I understood it to say that they had gotten the tape from another source.

Somebody said on another thread that the conference's policy was not to give out game tape of conference members. I can't fault UNI for following conference policy, but I do think it's a silly rule for a conference to have.

Blue Hen Nation
December 4th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Clearly, the NCAA agreed with us and forced the issue. Sour grapes?

bluehenbillk
December 4th, 2007, 07:42 AM
UD has still never lost to the Gateway under KC's watch.

mcveyrl
December 4th, 2007, 07:44 AM
UNI to Delaware: "Snow is God's way of saying...you should lose (or at least be saddled with minimal preparation)."

Franks Tanks
December 4th, 2007, 07:45 AM
I also like that UNI was apparently supposed to let Delaware use the UNI-Dome to practice in.

That again is not an outrageous request--it would be different if you had a natural grass field that could be ruined, but not the case of the UNI dome and the green colored carpet. It just seems like UNI was being pretty petty about it all---ya it was a heartbreaking loss but c'mon.

AppGirl
December 4th, 2007, 07:46 AM
I think it was poor sportsmanship on UNI's behalf. They could have easily called SIU for permission, and tried to make things as fair as possible. I'm disappointed in UNI.

devilhen
December 4th, 2007, 07:46 AM

It's not about "helping out a conference member". Delaware is allowed the tapes per NCAA rules. UNI was mainly running interference which is not what the NCAA is supposed to be about.

Tribe4SF
December 4th, 2007, 07:54 AM

You're being silly, and petty, and so was the UNI staff. UD would not be practicing on Sunday, but they needed to be at work reviewing film, which is what SIU was doing.

Sad footnote to a great game.:(

ChickenMan
December 4th, 2007, 08:00 AM

It's not a matter of 'helping out' Delaware.. it's a matter of basic 'fairness'. By Sunday.. SIU already had UD tapes.. UD also had SIU tapes.. but in Newark.. not in ice bound Cedar Falls. SIU already had the advantage of being home and having an extra day of preperation due to the fact that they don't have to travel and now you would advocate giving them an even LARGER advantage by denying UD access to SIU tapes for two additional days???? If you don't see the inequity in that scenario.. you are a sore loser.

JayJ79
December 4th, 2007, 08:03 AM
A bit classless if you ask me.

I'd say it's about as classless as UD refusing to move the 2003 game back after UNI's travel delays

UNI's flight was delayed the day before, then had to land in Baltimore instead of New Castle County because of the weather. The team arrived at its hotel just 18 hours before kickoff, the first of many disruptions Farley later said undermined UNI.

While Delaware went through warmups on Tubby Raymond Field before the game, Northern Iowa retreated inside to the Carpenter Center for its routine. Delaware declined UNI requests to move the game to later in the day, or perhaps even to Sunday.

"We were not moving that game back. ... You take advantage of every home-field advantage you can," UD coach K.C. Keeler said.

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071127/SPORTS07/711270395

Houndawg
December 4th, 2007, 08:07 AM
It's not a matter of 'helping out' Delaware.. it's a matter of basic 'fairness'. By Sunday.. SIU already had UD tapes.. UD also had SIU tapes.. but in Newark.. not in ice bound Cedar Falls. SIU already had the advantage of being home and having an extra day of preperation due to the fact that they don't have to travel and now you would advocate giving them an even LARGER advantage by denying UD access to SIU tapes for two additional days???? If you don't see the inequity in that scenario.. you are a sore loser.

Sounds like UD needs to plan their trips a little better. The weather was not a surprise to anyone who was watching the forecast.

Houndawg
December 4th, 2007, 08:10 AM
I'd say it's about as classless as UD refusing to move the 2003 game back after UNI's travel delays

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071127/SPORTS07/711270395

My goodness, what a no-class display of poor sportmanship.xlolx

SunCoastBlueHen
December 4th, 2007, 08:10 AM
Sounds like UD needs to plan their trips a little better. The weather was not a surprise to anyone who was watching the forecast.

When would you have suggested Delaware plan their return trip home. Half time? xrolleyesx

Blue Hen Nation
December 4th, 2007, 08:16 AM
These guys seem to be reacting with emotion rather than using their heads. Once more, NO CLASS!

Houndawg
December 4th, 2007, 08:16 AM
When would you have suggested Delaware plan their return trip home. Half time? xrolleyesx

People get stuck traveling all the time out here.You knew the weather would be lousy, bring the feaking tapes with you.xrolleyesx Looks like you have only Tubby Raymond to thank for the lack of cooperation.

ChickenMan
December 4th, 2007, 08:17 AM

That has to be one of the most idiotic posts I've ever seen on AGS... xnutsx

blukeys
December 4th, 2007, 08:21 AM

You haven't been reading enough of Houndawg. He produces a wealth of idiotic posts.

Houndawg
December 4th, 2007, 08:23 AM

xlolx xlolx xlolx Coming from you that's a major compliment. Really now, doesn't it seem plain that UNI was giving you the business because of your own lack of class when UNI was in a similar situation?xnodx xnodx xnodx

Of course, UNI nutted up and played the hand they were dealt while UD went whining to the NCAA. xbawlingx

Purple For Life
December 4th, 2007, 08:25 AM
I think UNI did exactly the right thing. Delaware is greedy. The UNI-Dome is our turf. Long live the Salukis!

Blue Hen Nation
December 4th, 2007, 08:27 AM
People get stuck traveling all the time out here.You knew the weather would be lousy, bring the feaking tapes with you.xrolleyesx Looks like you have only Tubby Raymond to thank for the lack of cooperation.

What color is the sky in your world? xbangx

Franks Tanks
December 4th, 2007, 08:29 AM
I think UNI did exactly the right thing. Delaware is greedy. The UNI-Dome is our turf. Long live the Salukis!

Well UNI bucked standard opertaing procedures among coaches, not something that is taken lightly. Then again I didnt realize Delaware treated UNI pretty poorly a few years back, so I guess it was a measure of payback.

Houndawg
December 4th, 2007, 08:29 AM
You haven't been reading enough of Houndawg. He produces a wealth of idiotic posts.

How sharper than a serpents tooth.............my feelings are so hurt that I'm just an emotional wreck. Where is the love, sonny?

nevermind, I think I'm over it.xlolx

Houndawg
December 4th, 2007, 08:34 AM
What color is the sky in your world? xbangx Oooooooooh, nice retort.xrotatehx

Looks like you got a little payback is all. At least until you ran whining to the NCAA. xbabycryx

Purple For Life
December 4th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Look.

It is not UNI's job to give Deadaware tape. That should be SIU's job.

And it isn't UNI's fault Deadaware was stuck here because of the weather, so we don't have to let them practice in our facilities.

cougarpines
December 4th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Oooooooooh, nice retort.xrotatehx

Looks like you got a little payback is all. At least until you ran whining to the NCAA. xbabycryx

And this is the group that was offended on the smack thread. They got their but beat and they didn't like it. Oh well, must be midwest mentality.

Houndawg
December 4th, 2007, 08:44 AM
And this is the group that was offended on the smack thread. They got their but beat and they didn't like it. Oh well, must be midwest mentality.

Wrong room, son. You're looking for Crapsville.

Blue Hen Nation
December 4th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Oooooooooh, nice retort.xrotatehx

Quite simply, your irrational emotion has replaced my rational debate. Your emotionally charged responses lack basis and have rendered you a dullard.

P.S. Enjoy the game on Saturday from the comfort of your living room.

Ivytalk
December 4th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Look.

And it isn't UNI's fault Deadaware was stuck here because of the weather, so we don't have to let them practice in our facilities.

Still feeling "craptacular," PFL?xcoolx

89Hen
December 4th, 2007, 08:54 AM
I really don't have a problem with UNI saying they won't give the Hens the tapes. xcoffeex

The bitter UNI fans on the other hand. xnonono2x

http://www.darleenclick.com/weblog/archives/sour_grapes.jpg

Purple For Life
December 4th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Still feeling "craptacular," PFL?xcoolx

No, I just want revenge in the form of a Saluki beatdown. If not, then I'll just continue to hate on every single Deadaware fan pretty much until the day after forever.

caribbeanhen
December 4th, 2007, 08:55 AM

and it would of been a jinx to bring the S Ill tapes to Iowa (just in case)

Purple For Life
December 4th, 2007, 08:56 AM
I really don't have a problem with UNI saying they won't give the Hens the tapes. xcoffeex

The bitter UNI fans on the other hand. xnonono2x

http://www.darleenclick.com/weblog/archives/sour_grapes.jpg

What, I don't have a right to be angry? Gee, thanks for telling me how to feel! What next thing are you going to tell me, oh wise chicken?

Purple For Life
December 4th, 2007, 08:57 AM
And, once again: NOT UNI'S FAULT THAT DEADAWARE WAS STUCK HERE.

mcveyrl
December 4th, 2007, 08:57 AM
What, I don't have a right to be angry? Gee, thanks for telling me how to feel! What next thing are you going to tell me, oh wise chicken?

xpopcornx xpopcornx xpopcornx

This is great.

Uncalled for, but great!

Ivytalk
December 4th, 2007, 08:58 AM
No, I just want revenge in the form of a Saluki beatdown. If not, then I'll just continue to hate on every single Deadaware fan pretty much until the day after forever.

PFL, the way the Hens have been playing lately, you might have to settle for a "beatdown" of your upstairs neighbor!:p ;)

caribbeanhen
December 4th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Look.

dont have too, but it sure would have been a classy move

Ivytalk
December 4th, 2007, 08:59 AM
And, once again: NOT UNI'S FAULT THAT DEADAWARE WAS STUCK HERE.

PFL, are you still angry that YOU'RE stuck there? Would you like to talk about it?
xchinscratchx

Blue Hen Nation
December 4th, 2007, 08:59 AM

When I grow up, I wanna be a Fireman. xnodx

henfan
December 4th, 2007, 09:00 AM
It would almost be OK if this wasn't part of a trend for Farley in the playoffs. UNI fans like to forget that the jerk also had similar issues with tapes in 2001 prior to the Montana game. The most galling thing of all is that Farley would attempt to hide behind conference rules before seeking a common sense solution. Farley's become the Belichick of the FCS... only without the same level of post-season success.xsmhx

In retrospect, the Hens' win on Saturday and the one in 2003 vs. UNI are even more sweet.xthumbsupx

Purple For Life
December 4th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Hey, I love Iowa. It's a great place here.

Don't forget--I can hold a grudge for a long, long, LONG time. I'll drop it for now, but believe me--you chickens lose, and I will be all over you like gravy on a...chicken. As I'm certain you will.

PS--if you actually KNEW Farley, you wouldn't think that about him at all. So STFU.

caribbeanhen
December 4th, 2007, 09:02 AM
PFL, are you still angry that YOU'RE stuck there? Would you like to talk about it?
xchinscratchx

be careful Ivy, those farmers rolling in wheat (dough) right now

MON
DE
POT

BUY BUY BUY

Blue Hen Nation
December 4th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Hey, I love Iowa. It's a great place here.

Don't forget--I can hold a grudge for a long, long, LONG time. I'll drop it for now, but believe me--you chickens lose, and I will be all over you like gravy on a...chicken. As I'm certain you will.

PS--if you actually KNEW Farley, you wouldn't think that about him at all. So STFU.

Such language from a "lady".....tsk tsk. xnonox

89Hen
December 4th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Be angry all you want. A little class and less crying would be nice though. Take the example of most of the other UNI fans.

henfan
December 4th, 2007, 09:07 AM

Oh, yeah. I'm sure Farley is a great guy... to his parents, wife, kids and UNI fans who are willing to accept any unreasonable action as proof of his great character. xconfusedx

89Hen
December 4th, 2007, 09:09 AM
you chickens lose, and I will be all over you like gravy on a...chicken. As I'm certain you will.
xconfusedx Your team already lost. Living vicariously through others is not good form. The only UNI fan who's received any gravy treatment is you, and it's been very well deserved. xnodx

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 4th, 2007, 09:12 AM
xchinscratchx

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

xpopcornx

Houndawg
December 4th, 2007, 09:16 AM

I'm sure you were bleating the same tune when UNI was in a similar situation. xrolleyesx

JayJ79
December 4th, 2007, 09:17 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if this is being blown out of proportion a little.
I'd bet the situation was probably like this:
- Keeler calls UNI's tape guy/video coordinator and asks for the tapes
- tape guy says he'll have to check with the chain of command first (getting clearance from Farley, who would most likely wait to get clearance from SIU and/or the NCAA) [speculation, as I don't personally know either coach]
- I've heard first hand reports that Keeler got all snippy about it and was chewing out people via the phone on Sunday morning, re: this issue (which would probably make anyone on the other end determined to drag it out even further)
- once the matter has gone through proper channels, the tapes were handed over. Probably on Sunday afternoon.

As far as being "disappointed that we had to get the NCAA involved", I would figure that that is standard operating procedure, since don't they generally oversee the tape exchange process in the playoffs?

caribbeanhen
December 4th, 2007, 09:24 AM
- tape guy says he'll have to check with the chain of command first (getting clearance from Farley, who would most likely wait to get clearance from SIU and/or the NCAA) [speculation, as I don't personally know either coach]
- I've heard first hand reports that Keeler got all snippy about it and was chewing out people via the phone on Sunday morning, re: this issue (which would probably make anyone on the other end determined to drag it out even further)
- once the matter has gone through proper channels, the tapes were handed over. Probably on Sunday afternoon.

As far as being "disappointed that we had to get the NCAA involved", I would figure that that is standard operating procedure, since don't they generally oversee the tape exchange process in the playoffs?

apoligist

devilhen
December 4th, 2007, 09:27 AM

Ooh, that mean poster, telling you how to feel and all. Bring it to Dr. Phil!!!

ChickenMan
December 4th, 2007, 09:27 AM

Keeler quote..

“ That’s not how you conduct yourself. And Coach (Mark) Farley never called me back. And I made a point to let them know, he has my number and I was very disappointed with the way things were handled. ... The whole thing was ridiculous.”

GannonFan
December 4th, 2007, 09:28 AM
I'm sure you were bleating the same tune when UNI was in a similar situation. xrolleyesx

UNI keeps whining about 2003 - strange since their fans kept whining in the week leading up to this game that 2003 was in the past and had no relevance this week. But how is it anywhere similar? UNI got to their hotel in Delaware 18 hours before the game. How is that a hardship? Even with practice, eating, meetings, etc, that still left UNI with 8-10 hours of sleep. Geez, how much sleep do you guys from the Midwest need? I'm still baffled how that was so much of a hardship. When I first heard all the complaining I thought maybe UNI had to come straight to the game from the airport and maybe had an hour or two before the game. 18 hours before and a full night's sleep just doesn't measure up too high on the hardship scale, sorry.

UNI's getting a track record now of being uncooperative and petty when it comes to things like this. A shame really, because the team played well and doesn't really deserve this kind of negativity in terms of perception. Farley may be a great guy and all, but events like these do nothing to let an outside person see that. You can add sore loser to his resume now, apparently. xnonox

89Hen
December 4th, 2007, 09:31 AM
UNI got to their hotel in Delaware 18 hours before the game. How is that a hardship? Even with practice, eating, meetings, etc, that still left UNI with 8-10 hours of sleep. Geez, how much sleep do you guys from the Midwest need? I'm still baffled how that was so much of a hardship. When I first heard all the complaining I thought maybe UNI had to come straight to the game from the airport and maybe had an hour or two before the game. 18 hours before and a full night's sleep just doesn't measure up too high on the hardship scale, sorry.
Not to mention the game was on TV so pushing it back isn't as simple as changing the time. Also, I'm not sure how you notify 17,000 people the night before the game that it will be rescheduled to a later time.

Does anyone know when UNI wanted it moved to? xconfusedx

bluehenbillk
December 4th, 2007, 09:34 AM
That game was delayed 30 minutes to clean the snow up, plenty of time for UNI to get in a group cry.

blukeys
December 4th, 2007, 09:34 AM

Before speculating don't you think getting the facts first would help?

No one had to get permission from SIU. SIU had already sent tapes to Newark. UNI was informed of this and yet decided to play lawyer. Of course Keeler was mad. Coaches make arrangements like this all the time. Farley has a history of playing these kinds of games (Montana)

turfdoc
December 4th, 2007, 09:36 AM

Oh my god a reasonable post...... I didn't think it was going to happen.

I spent my last year of university working film exchanges and there are a few things people on the board obviously do not understand. The NCAA requires the opponent to send the last three game films (unless the rules have changed). Films are sent to arrive Sunday morning after the Saturday games. UNI would not have SIU's last three games so they would be sharing the Gateway films.

Gateway has rules and UNI would be in violation of those rules unless they first got NCAA approval/mandate before handing over older game tapes. The other problem is teams can request different game tapes but they only get 3 (unless the rules have changed). UNI probably did not have the same tapes that were sent to Delaware therefore Uof D would have more than the alotted three. The NCAA could step in and say give them tapes and then assure the other tapes get destroyed.

The Gateway rule exists so if let's say a former assistant of Delaware was on Farley's coaching staff he could not give over 5 SIU tapes therefore giving U of D an advantage (more tapes, more chance to see what they have to offer).

UNI had to follow the conference rules and Delaware should have to go to the NCAA to assure that the tapes being sent to Delaware were discposed of before getting three more.

Then again if the rules have changed this is all mute.

blukeys
December 4th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Not to mention the game was on TV so pushing it back isn't as simple as changing the time. Also, I'm not sure how you notify 17,000 people the night before the game that it will be rescheduled to a later time.

Does anyone know when UNI wanted it moved to? xconfusedx

Actually, in his post game comments after the 2003 game, Whiner in chief Farley complained about the game being delayed 30 minutes.

FCS Go!
December 4th, 2007, 09:43 AM
UNI refusing to hand over game tape? Wow! I've never heard of that happening before! xwhistlex

henfan
December 4th, 2007, 09:43 AM
That game was delayed 30 minutes to clean the snow up, plenty of time for UNI to get in a group cry.

And instead of warming up in the elements prior to the 2003 game, as UD did, Farley took his team inside the Delaware Fieldhouse to warm up. Solid coaching move right there.xthumbsupx

FCS Go!
December 4th, 2007, 09:47 AM
I was joking! Sorry N Iowa (UNI) fans! Delaware folks need to quit your whining or find another way you've been wronged. Rules are rules and sometimes they're even rules for a good reason.xrulesx

appheel
December 4th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Oh my god a reasonable post...... I didn't think it was going to happen.

I spent my last year of university working film exchanges and there are a few things people on the board obviously do not understand. The NCAA requires the opponent to send the last three game films (unless the rules have changed). Films are sent to arrive Sunday morning after the Saturday games. UNI would not have SIU's last three games so they would be sharing the Gateway films.

Gateway has rules and UNI would be in violation of those rules unless they first got NCAA approval/mandate before handing over older game tapes. The other problem is teams can request different game tapes but they only get 3 (unless the rules have changed). UNI probably did not have the same tapes that were sent to Delaware therefore Uof D would have more than the alotted three. The NCAA could step in and say give them tapes and then assure the other tapes get destroyed.

The Gateway rule exists so if let's say a former assistant of Delaware was on Farley's coaching staff he could not give over 5 SIU tapes therefore giving U of D an advantage (more tapes, more chance to see what they have to offer).

UNI had to follow the conference rules and Delaware should have to go to the NCAA to assure that the tapes being sent to Delaware were discposed of before getting three more.

Then again if the rules have changed this is all mute.

Thanks for the info. xthumbsupx

I completely understand both sides of the argument, and I can see why the Delaware coaching staff is upset. However, I have a problem with some of the quotes on here from Keeler. I get why he's angry, they've had a lot of disadvantages thrown at them this week. I just think, as a head coach, you should keep your feelings about another coach out of the press.

Houndawg
December 4th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Keeler quote..

xbabycryx

GannonFan
December 4th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the info. xthumbsupx

I completely understand both sides of the argument, and I can see why the Delaware coaching staff is upset. However, I have a problem with some of the quotes on here from Keeler. I get why he's angry, they've had a lot of disadvantages thrown at them this week. I just think, as a head coach, you should keep your feelings about another coach out of the press.

Nah, why hide the truth? Tell it like it is. Farley made plenty of quotes back in 2003, he was never one to shy away from the press, well, until recently of course. xlolx

JayJ79
December 4th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Before speculating don't you think getting the facts first would help?

No one had to get permission from SIU. SIU had already sent tapes to Newark. UNI was informed of this and yet decided to play lawyer. Of course Keeler was mad. Coaches make arrangements like this all the time. Farley has a history of playing these kinds of games (Montana)

getting the facts before speculating? Nah, I wouldn't want to stand out for 99% of all the other messageboard posters (and media outlets, for that matter).

And just because SIU had already sent tapes to Newark doesn't mean they wouldn't have issue with UNI giving UD the tapes they had without at least first conferring with them.

blukeys
December 4th, 2007, 10:35 AM
getting the facts before speculating? Nah, I wouldn't want to stand out for 99% of all the other messageboard posters (and media outlets, for that matter).

And just because SIU had already sent tapes to Newark doesn't mean they wouldn't have issue with UNI giving UD the tapes they had without at least first conferring with them.

When tape exchanges are made each team requests specific games. If UNI had those tapes that UD requested (such as UNI SIU) then it certainly would not have hurt SIU at all.

So far the written record indicates that SIU was not involved in this at all. Why don't you try and actually get the facts first???

http://www.delawareonline.com

http://www.newszap.com

FightinBluHen51
December 4th, 2007, 11:33 AM
In the name of fair competition...

UNI Whined about not having the 1/4 final game at the time they wanted, yet expected UD to move the game back when they were in town in pleanty of time for the game in 2003.

Delaware confronted with the possibility of bad weather, flew in an extra day early to acclimate and didn't gripe about times at all.

UNI "Tape-gate" revolves around the fact that they needed to get clearance from either their Conference, SIU, or the NCAA and in the name of good sportsmanship, apprently, did not go out of their way to say, we understand and will do it as quickly as you get clearance (allegidly).

Stuck due to weather, and trying to make the best out of the situation, Delaware coaches try to get game film and other prep materials to the team in Iowa (thus "planning" for a change in plans due to weather).

I would have expected that in the name of good sportsmanship, sharing at least the most current game film of SIU with UD by UNI would have happened (and in a reverse situation, UD would have reciprocated).

UNI Pike
December 4th, 2007, 12:03 PM
So far the written record indicates that SIU was not involved in this at all. Why don't you try and actually get the facts first???

http://www.delawareonline.com

Funny how KC Keeler has a different view of things today, as compared to 2003:

"We were not moving that game back. ... You take advantage of every home-field advantage you can," UD coach K.C. Keeler said.
referenced in the article

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/p...TS07/711270395

And what ever happened to playing outdoors?

Although UD coach K.C. Keeler didn't mind that he didn't have to brave the elements outside, playing a game in a climate-controlled dome goes against everything he believes in about football.

"It's football, and it's meant to be played outdoors," Keeler said. "I don't think the game is meant to be played indoors."

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007712010349

DE could have used the outdoors practice field at UNI, but now using the Dome is to his advantage.

http://www.houseabsolute.com/presentations/sql-is-not-relational/images/janus.gif

And as for checking facts, where is the mention of the UD beat writer attempting to contact Farely or UNI for comment. Apparently Keeler had the phone numebr. I believe that they teach that in 5th grade journalism class - get both sides of a story.

I thought the DE team was first rate. It is the coach and a number of fans that were a bit trying. Just be happy with the win, and knowing that Iowa has done you a favor for most of the last year by keeping Biden out of your state. Again soon, you will have more Senators than Representatives in Congress.

GannonFan
December 4th, 2007, 12:10 PM

Although UD coach K.C. Keeler didn't mind that he didn't have to brave the elements outside, playing a game in a climate-controlled dome goes against everything he believes in about football.

"It's football, and it's meant to be played outdoors," Keeler said. "I don't think the game is meant to be played indoors."

DE could have used the outdoors practice field at UNI, but now using the Dome is to his advantage.

http://www.houseabsolute.com/presentations/sql-is-not-relational/images/janus.gif

And as for checking facts, where is the mention of the UD beat writer attempting to contact Farely or UNI for comment. Apparently Keeler had the phone numebr. I believe that they teach that in 5th grade journalism class - get both sides of a story.

I thought the DE team was first rate. It is the coach and a number of fans that were a bit trying. Just be happy with the win, and knowing that Iowa has done you a favor for most of the last year by keeping Biden out of your state. Again soon, you will have more Senators than Representatives in Congress.

Yeah, KC played all of that in the leadup to a game, not in the aftermath of being dismissed from the playoffs. That's where the bush-league part comes into play - Farley was done and isn't playing this week whereas KC in 2003 was talking about a game that was going to happen and he was going to be a part of. And still the whining about 2003 - for a fanbase that moaned about bringing up 2003 you guys seem to do it quite a bit. UNI was in their hotel 18 hours before that game - how is that a hardship?

As for the beat writer and the journalistic skills of the News Journal, hey, we've been moaning about them for years now - the UD/DSU story was not their finest hour of investigative journalism.

Certain UNI fans can be trying as well. No fanbase is immune from less than desirables. And KC is alright - he comes off sounding arrogant but that's harmless and he did have a lot of good things to say about UNI. Sometimes people are a little too sensitive.

89Hen
December 4th, 2007, 12:28 PM

Not sure I understand this point. The UNI game was indoors. That's where they practiced before the game. The came with equipment and gear to play indoors at 72 degrees, so it would be somewhat diffcult to practice outside in 22 degrees after the game. Am I missing something?

CSN-info
December 4th, 2007, 12:33 PM
CSN WAVES tonight definitively answers all these questions.

ChickenMan
December 4th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Not sure I understand this point. The UNI game was indoors. That's where they practiced before the game. The came with equipment and gear to play indoors at 72 degrees, so it would be somewhat diffcult to practice outside in 22 degrees after the game. Am I missing something?

Of course.. you are looking at this rationally... :p

BLHENherbie
December 4th, 2007, 12:36 PM

:D Now you know how we keep our taxes so low. We minimize the number of participants in the lobbying game.

mcveyrl
December 4th, 2007, 12:39 PM

It goes back to planning!!

You must bring all equipment with you, tape editing equipment, films for your next opponent, oh, btw, you'll need both UMass and SIU film because you won't know who the next opponent is when you leave, your cold gear (you never know when your plane will get stuck for two days and you'll have to practice on the airport runway), snow plow.

This is all a case of poor planning by Keeler.

UNI Pike
December 4th, 2007, 12:40 PM

I believe that DE was using the Dome for a practice facility once delayed. Is that not correct?

UDChE89
December 4th, 2007, 12:42 PM
I believe that DE was using the Dome for a practice facility once delayed. Is that not correct?

Big ol' fat wrong... I think they might have wanted to use the tape editing facilities...

Cocky
December 4th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Could someone in Delaware have not sent the tape over the internet? I assume the internet was working with all of the phone calls that happened. Is a team restricted from getting a tape of a tv game?

Or maybe Netflix had a copy.

ChickenMan
December 4th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Or maybe Netflix had a copy.

That's true.. but KC and the players decided to rent a copy of...

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c355/bearacid/debbie.jpg

instead.... :p

UNI Pike
December 4th, 2007, 01:08 PM
And still the whining about 2003 - for a fan base that moaned about bringing up 2003 you guys seem to do it quite a bit. UNI was in their hotel 18 hours before that game - how is that a hardship?

As for the travel delays, et al, college sports, and football specifically, centers on routines and emotion. Even though this sounds contradictory, here is the premise.

Home field advantage is that because your schedule is what you are accustomed to, the food is the same, your bed is the same, etc. Everything in that category allows you to focus. Traveling to a game is an exercise in minimizing the disruptions. Disruptions are cumulative.

As for emotion, that is what brings the excitement of college versus pro sports. It allows for Appy State to go into a stadium of 108 K people, and take it to a team that most agree has more athletic skill and talent on an individual basis. Emotions are especially key on defense. If you are not in your normal comfort zone because of disruptions, it is difficult to get keyed into an emotional state before the game is out of hand.

Being 6 hours late to arrive at airport. Unanticipated 4 hour bus ride after getting soaked. 30 minute delay after being told they were not going to be changing the times. All disruptions. Did UNI lose the game because of this, doubt it. Did it help? No. Did Keeler come off as a Richard? To most who read the quote.

I only bring up the quote because that is when it occurred. If Keeler had stated it in context during 1975 or last week, it still leaves me to believe that he sees things differently depending on what side of the table he is on. Karma, it comes full circle.

BTW - Can #67 walk yet? The way he was hurting, maybe the more accurate question would be will he ever be able to have kids? Props to him.

blukeys
December 4th, 2007, 01:20 PM

Grabbing a quote of Keeler and placing it in the context of this situation is distorting the true nature of events here. No one disputes that a home team in a game should take advantage of their home field. UNI's fans in a metal roofed building making noise, a warmer than usual environnment for a cold weather team, fans close to the field, etc. are all advantages UNI enjoyed and you have not heard one person on this board or anywhere else complain about Farley and UNI using this advantages.

However, homerism and home team advantage should end once the game is over and in the fraternity of coaches (and I coached from 1990-2006) it typically does. Evidently someone forgot to tell Farley that a home field advantage ends once the game is over and that helping even your previous opponent, who is in dire straits, is the sporting thing to do.

For this situation to be analogous to 2003 the following scenario would have to have occurred.

"UNI after beating Delaware 39-27 in the second round is snowed in Newark Delaware. They Have no way of getting back to Cedar Falls since the goobers At Baltimore Washington Airpost lack the de icing equipment to allow UNI's charter plane to fly. Farley and his coaching staff scramble to find a way out only to discover they will have to spend all of Sunday in Newark with the only way to get home is to fly out of JFK in New York (2.5 hr bus ride)

Farley and UNI discover that the game tapes for their next opponent (UMASS) did arrive in Cedar Falls as per prior arrangement with Umass on Sunday but the team and coaches are in Newark and Umass of course is already breaking down the tapes and will do so all of Sunday.

Farley has a ready made option. UD has tapes of Umass as part of their exchange and their common game. Certainly, UD has no need for these as they have lost and are done. They will also have no need for any practice facilities as their season is over. Farley expects UD to do the classy thing which is to share the tapes that he already has sitting in Cedar Falls (no more no less) and perhaps allow the use of facilities to work out the team. Instead Keeler blows him off citing a conference rule (although the tapes already are sitting in Cedar Falls) In addition, Keeler stops returning phone calls from Farley. Farley makes about 25 phone calls to NCAA officials to force Keeler to cooperate"

Now what would be the reaction of Farley and the good "midwest folks" if this occurred??????

By the way we do appreciate the fact that Biden is in your state and not ours and if you could move the caucuses back to August it would be appreciated.xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix As for whether or not the News Journal reporter tried to call Farley or not I have no idea. Nothing would surprise me.

GannonFan
December 4th, 2007, 01:21 PM
As for the travel delays, et al, college sports, and football specifically, centers on routines and emotion. Even though this sounds contradictory, here is the premise.

Home field advantage is that because your schedule is what you are accustomed to, the food is the same, your bed is the same, etc. Everything in that category allows you to focus. Traveling to a game is an exercise in minimizing the disruptions. Disruptions are cumulative.

As for emotion, that is what brings the excitement of college versus pro sports. It allows for Appy State to go into a stadium of 108 K people, and take it to a team that most agree has more athletic skill and talent on an individual basis. Emotions are especially key on defense. If you are not in your normal comfort zone because of disruptions, it is difficult to get keyed into an emotional state before the game is out of hand.

Being 6 hours late to arrive at airport. Unanticipated 4 hour bus ride after getting soaked. 30 minute delay after being told they were not going to be changing the times. All disruptions. Did UNI lose the game because of this, doubt it. Did it help? No. Did Keeler come off as a Richard? To most who read the quote.

I only bring up the quote because that is when it occurred. If Keeler had stated it in context during 1975 or last week, it still leaves me to believe that he sees things differently depending on what side of the table he is on. Karma, it comes full circle.

BTW - Can #67 walk yet? The way he was hurting, maybe the more accurate question would be will he ever be able to have kids? Props to him.

Like I said though, Keeler was talking about the events leading up to a game he was going to be a part of. Farley and UNI were stubborn regarding a game they weren't even going to play in. That's a pretty big difference.

As for 2003 - come on, they were never going to reschedule the game for Sunday like UNI wanted - people had bought tickets for the game, made plans, etc. And there was another round to play the following weekend. That was always an untenable request.

#67 should be doing just fine - a long season and hopefully 10 more days to go. When you get this close to the prize it's easy to shrug off a season's worth of wear and tear.

ChickenMan
December 4th, 2007, 01:27 PM

A film exchange that involves NOTHING but the two staffs is hardly comparable to the '03 UNI request. There were 12,000 or 13,000 UD fans with tickets.. expecting the game to be played at the scheduled time. In addition there were TV concerns as well. UNI arrived 18 hrs in advance of the scheduled game time.. not ideal.. but hardly at the last moment.

Really... apples & oranges

blukeys
December 4th, 2007, 01:29 PM

Sorry, Delaware is playing SIU after last Saturday not UNI. This was not karma it was Farley deliberately sabotaging Delaware after being beat. UNI has a great home field advantage and no one complains about that. Attempting to screw the team that beat you after the fact is what Farley did. SIU got the home field advantage this week. Are you saying UNI is part of this home field advantage??

Care to give me one quote or instance from Keeler's past that suggests he ever did this?????

UNI Pike
December 4th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Now what would be the reaction of Farley and the good "midwest folks" if this occurred??????

I would hope the film guy was not traveling (do they travel?) and would send the tape(s) over our Internet 2 connection. Or, at least a have a slingbox or two on hand.

Self reliance. Avoiding the NCAA at all costs. xthumbsupx

89Hen
December 4th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Not sure, but wouldn't that make sense if that was the case? I seriously doubt they had cold weather gear with them.

UNI Pike
December 4th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Care to give me one quote or instance from Keeler's past that suggests he ever did this?????

As for the beat writer and the journalistic skills of the News Journal, hey, we've been moaning about them for years now - the UD/DSU story was not their finest hour of investigative journalism.

With the tape thing, I am certain that there is more to the story than what has come out. Farely is a stand up guy (not infallible as evidenced by some crazy calls on Saturday). He also keeps his mouth shut. I would love to hear the conversations replayed. Alas, it is likely we will never get the full story.

Maybe Oliver Stone can make a film about it...

Anyway, safe travels, and hopefully no one gets injured on Saturday from either team. I need to get back to running my empire.

BTW - I am pulling for the skinny dogs on this one. Better to say that you were the only team beat the NC. xthumbsupx

blukeys
December 4th, 2007, 02:02 PM
With the tape thing, I am certain that there is more to the story than what has come out. Farely is a stand up guy (not infallible as evidenced by some crazy calls on Saturday). He also keeps his mouth shut. I would love to hear the conversations replayed. Alas, it is likely we will never get the full story.

Maybe Oliver Stone can make a film about it...

Anyway, safe travels, and hopefully no one gets injured on Saturday from either team. I need to get back to running my empire.

BTW - I am pulling for the skinny dogs on this one. Better to say that you were the only team beat the NC. xthumbsupx

KC Keeler's take on this weekend.

"

Keeler said the Hens were able to start looking at film of the Salukis on Sunday — but only after a somewhat contentious debate with Northern Iowa officials.

Delaware had already exchanged film with Southern Illinois last week. But all that information was back in Newark.

According to Keeler, when the Hens asked Northern Iowa to use its film of the Salukis, UNI’s staff refused to give it to them, citing Gateway Conference policy.

Keeler said such rules are common. However, he said the situation was different because Southern Illinois had already given Delaware the film — the Hens just couldn’t get to it because of the storm.

Finally, the NCAA stepped in and ordered Northern Iowa to give Delaware the film. Keeler said the situation took about 25 phone calls to resolve and left him frustrated.

“If that was us, not only would we have given them the tape, but we would have let them use our facilities,” said Keeler. “Absolutely. If they were stuck in Newark or Wilmington, I would have said, ‘Here’s our facility.’ At that time it’s not about loyalty to your conference, at that time it’s about what’s fair.

“I’m a little disappointed that we had to get the NCAA involved. ... That’s not how you conduct yourself. And Coach (Mark) Farley never called me back. And I made a point to let them know, he has my number and I was very disappointed with the way things were handled. ... The whole thing was ridiculous.”

Waiting to hear Mr. Stand Up guy Farley, who doesn't return phone calls, version of events. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx