PDA

View Full Version : Well, the Big Sky Conference had a bad week

Lumberjacks76
September 12th, 2005, 08:19 PM
But...we enter conference play this coming week, for some schools. Which should be fun.

Here's the Big Sky Conference schedule for 09/17/2005:

South Dakota St at Montana
West Montana at Idaho State
Southern Utah at Northern Arizona
Weber State at North Dakota St
Montana State at Cal Poly
Sacramento State at Portland State
Western Oregon at Eastern Wash.

Paul

kmax
September 12th, 2005, 10:54 PM
Is that correct that Idaho State is playing Western Montana?!?! What the heck are they doing playing an NAIA team? At least if they were going to do that they could have had the balls to play Carroll College. Though I do see that former Grizzly QB Justin Harman plays for them and was national NAIA player of the week last week.

Lumberjacks76
September 12th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Yup, they are playing Western Montana according to both ESPN and www.michigan-football.com.

Paul

Lumberjacks76
September 12th, 2005, 11:16 PM
Not sure if Montana-Western is NAIA or Div. III. I don't see them listed at the College Football Database Warehouse webpage. I see Montana State-Northern, but not Montana-Western. Maybe I missed them on the page somewhere. :confused:

Paul

DuckDuckGriz
September 12th, 2005, 11:56 PM
Idaho State plays UM-Western every year. It's kind of an easy home opener for them. They had a deal to play Carroll last year but backed out at the last minute for another Division I (either A or AA) program. It will be interesting to see UM-Western @ Idaho State and how former Grizzly quarterback Justin Hartman plays. Usually ISU wins in a blowout.

Call me crazy but I think the Carroll Saints would actually do well against the Bengals.

WYOBISONMAN
September 13th, 2005, 07:03 AM
Well.....the Bison will have two wins against Big Sky schools coming up......Weber this weekend and Montana State next....... ;)

putter
September 13th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Idaho State plays UM-Western every year. It's kind of an easy home opener for them. They had a deal to play Carroll last year but backed out at the last minute for another Division I (either A or AA) program. It will be interesting to see UM-Western @ Idaho State and how former Grizzly quarterback Justin Hartman plays. Usually ISU wins in a blowout.

Call me crazy but I think the Carroll Saints would actually do well against the Bengals.

I agree! :D

kmax
September 13th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Well.....the Bison will have two wins against Big Sky schools coming up......Weber this weekend and Montana State next....... ;)
xidiotx

You just make sure you take care of business this week against weber so that your still near the top 10 when MSU :spank: you in two weeks. ;)

89Hen
September 13th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Idaho State plays UM-Western every year.
Acutally looks like the Bengals used to spread it around a little...

2005 Montana-Western
2003 Montana-Western
2002 Montana-Western
2001 Montana Tech and Montana State-Northern
2000 Montana Tech
1999 Eastern Oregon

Sawtooth
September 13th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Yeah, Carroll would make the game as interesting against ISU as they would against the Griz and the Bobcats...

I'd love to get the NAIA teams off of our schedule, but let's face it, ANY sub-division I team hurts. Frankly, if we're going to schedule a sub-divison I team, it might as well be one which is close and creates some interest.

NAIA teams can have 24 full scholarships, whereas NCAA division II can have 36. When a team has 63 scholarships, does it really matter whether you're playing a team with 24 or 36 (and let's face it, most RMAC teams -- Fort Lewis, Western State... don't play with the full 36!)?

DuckDuckGriz
September 13th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Yeah, Carroll would make the game as interesting against ISU as they would against the Griz and the Bobcats...

I'd love to get the NAIA teams off of our schedule, but let's face, ANY sub-division I team hurts. Frankly, if we're going to schedule a sub-divison I team, it might as well be one which is close and creates some interest.

NAIA teams can have 24 full scholarships, whereas NCAA division II can have 36. When a team has 63 scholarships, does it really matter whether you're playing a team with 24 or 36 (and let's face it, most RMAC teams -- Fort Lewis, Western State... don't play with the full 36!)?

I agree -- anytime a I-AA schedules a II or III or NAIA it stinks, but ADs try to use those as a last resort.

Seven NAIAs in six years is a little much.

WYOBISONMAN
September 13th, 2005, 11:46 AM
xidiotx

You just make sure you take care of business this week against weber so that your still near the top 10 when MSU :spank: you in two weeks. ;)

We should be undefeated for the MSU game. Weber will have its job cut out for it playing in the Fargodome.....and I am sure the attendance will be huge and the crowd will be noisy. A Big Sky opponent with the Bison ranked fairly high.....yes there will be a crowd in the Dome this weekend!!

kmax
September 13th, 2005, 12:08 PM
We should be undefeated for the MSU game. Weber will have its job cut out for it playing in the Fargodome.....and I am sure the attendance will be huge and the crowd will be noisy. A Big Sky opponent with the Bison ranked fairly high.....yes there will be a crowd in the Dome this weekend!!
Good to hear. That is why I still wish your next two games were a preview of next years Big Sky conference matchups. But hey, a good program with a big fanbase...why on earth would we want to invite them into the Sky? ;)

Can't wait for the Cats/Bison clash in Bozeman. Should be a great game with alot of fans.

putter
September 13th, 2005, 12:12 PM
I agree -- anytime a I-AA schedules a II or III or NAIA it stinks, but ADs try to use those as a last resort.

Seven NAIAs in six years is a little much.

Sounds like the Oregon fans about having to play against a I-AA team. :eek:

Lumberjacks76
September 13th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Well, NAU scheduled Adams State this year, which is Division II. Not sure who they would have played in place of them. I think Adams State was a last minute addition to the schedule. Someone (Western New Mexico?) backed out at the last minute and NAU had to fill it in with someone.

On a side note, I can't seem to find any future schedules for any BSC teams anywhere on the 'net. I wanted to see who NAU plays next year OOC, but there's nothing that I see resembling a schedule.

Paul

bison95
September 13th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Good to hear. That is why I still wish your next two games were a preview of next years Big Sky conference matchups. But hey, a good program with a big fanbase...why on earth would we want to invite them into the Sky? ;)

Can't wait for the Cats/Bison clash in Bozeman. Should be a great game with alot of fans.

I've been witing all year. I tried to talk my wife into taking me to the game, no such luck. Thankfully the Bison Alumni have set up sattelite views across the country so we can all se a great game. Cat fans invited, link to http://www.ndsualumni.com/coe/satgame/index.htm , to find sites.

Tod
September 13th, 2005, 11:33 PM
Not sure if Montana-Western is NAIA or Div. III. I don't see them listed at the College Football Database Warehouse webpage. I see Montana State-Northern, but not Montana-Western. Maybe I missed them on the page somewhere. :confused:

Paul

Kind of easy to remember it this way, Paul. Montana colleges and universities only have I-AA and NAIA football, that's it. A state like Arizona must run the whole gammut, I suppose.

Lumberjacks76
September 14th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Yeah, we have Grand Canyon University, which isn't anywhere near the Grand Canyon and doesn't play football to my knowledge.

Paul