PDA

View Full Version : Portland State

Lumberjacks76
September 12th, 2005, 05:45 PM
I noticed Portland State defeated Cal Poly this past weekend 14-12. Who plays QB for the Vikings this year?

Paul

GOKATS
September 12th, 2005, 05:55 PM
I noticed Portland State defeated Cal Poly this past weekend 14-12. Who plays QB for the Vikings this year?

Paul
Portland State beat UC-Davis, not Cal Poly. ;)

OrneryAggie
September 12th, 2005, 06:00 PM
I know IAA in Cali is new to most of you but why the fugg do people keep confusing Poly and UCD? Thank God you're not confusing either of our schools Sac State also.

Lumberjacks76
September 12th, 2005, 06:48 PM
UC Davis, sorry.

Paul

TxSt02
September 12th, 2005, 07:32 PM
Cal-Davis???

ucdtim17
September 12th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Don't know who the QB is, but they are BIG.

Mr. C
September 12th, 2005, 09:34 PM
I saw a tape of this one and felt that Portland State was very fortunate to come away with a win. UC Davis moved the ball well on offense, with QB Jon Grant and WR Tony Kays hooking up repeatedly. The Aggies missed an extra point that forced them to go for two points on their second TD and had another drive or two stopped in the red zone without points. Kays had something like 15 catches, but mishandled a punt that PSU recovered to run out the clock with the Aggies trailing by just two points in the last two minutes. UC Davis has to be (along with Eastern Kentucky) one of the best 0-2 teams in America.

Sawyer Smith, by the way, is PSU's new quarterback. They have a quality backfield with tailback Joe Rubin and potential All-American fullback Allen Kennett. They also have one of I-AA's best centers, Antonio Narcisse.

89Hen
September 13th, 2005, 08:31 AM
why the fugg do people keep confusing Poly and UCD?
They're not the same? :confused: ;)

NoCoDanny
September 13th, 2005, 09:26 AM
I think for outsiders California schools in general are a little difficult to figure out. Don’t schools in the same state system go by different names? For example it’s Sacramento State and yet it’s also Cal State Bakerfield. To an outsider it’s easy to assume these schools are in different systems.

I won’t even get started on the whole Cal-Davis thing; I know that’s a sensitive topic.

What is the difference between Cal Poly Pomona and Cal Poly SLO? Also, there is some school called Cal Tech which I assume is another name for the Pomona school?

OrneryAggie
September 13th, 2005, 01:31 PM
I think for outsiders California schools in general are a little difficult to figure out. Don’t schools in the same state system go by different names? For example it’s Sacramento State and yet it’s also Cal State Bakerfield. To an outsider it’s easy to assume these schools are in different systems.

I won’t even get started on the whole Cal-Davis thing; I know that’s a sensitive topic.

What is the difference between Cal Poly Pomona and Cal Poly SLO? Also, there is some school called Cal Tech which I assume is another name for the Pomona school?

Do people confuse UNC Charlotte with UNC Chapel Hill with UNC Greensboro? Do they confuse the Texas A&M system with Texas and UTEP? Does Texas St still get called SW Texas St? We're all football fans here, we should at least pretend to know what we're talking about.

Cal Poly Pomona is a DII school with no football. There's also a small, private, liberal arts college called Pomona College that makes things more confusing. The SLO campus is the original and both are part of the Cal State U system (like Fresno, Sac, Humboldt, etc). CSU's only offer up to Master's degrees. UC's are full doctoral research universitites.

Cal Tech is the MIT of the west, super geniuses only. They are not associated with UC or CSU. I believe the only sport they sponsor is men's water polo. Maybe they have a frisbee team also (it is california.)

The confusion about what state universities are called is why the UC Regents wanted all UC's to go by the same name thus Cal-Davis became UC Davis. (of course Cal alums hate the notion of being second fiddle to UCLA so they kept the Cal moniker) The Cal-Davis thing doesn't bother me. It's understandable since the university grew up as the Baby-Cal (berkeley) and if you're not in the wine, ag, or biosci biz you've probably have no idea where Davis is. But everyone in the world knows what UCLA is and it shouldn't be too hard to make the UC connection.

Lumberjacks76
September 13th, 2005, 02:15 PM
There's more confusion in Montana.

We have:

Montana State
Montana State-Northern
Montana
Montana-Western

and other schools.

Paul

GannonFan
September 13th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Do people confuse UNC Charlotte with UNC Chapel Hill with UNC Greensboro? Do they confuse the Texas A&M system with Texas and UTEP? Does Texas St still get called SW Texas St? We're all football fans here, we should at least pretend to know what we're talking about.

Cal Poly Pomona is a DII school with no football. There's also a small, private, liberal arts college called Pomona College that makes things more confusing. The SLO campus is the original and both are part of the Cal State U system (like Fresno, Sac, Humboldt, etc). CSU's only offer up to Master's degrees. UC's are full doctoral research universitites.

Cal Tech is the MIT of the west, super geniuses only. They are not associated with UC or CSU. I believe the only sport they sponsor is men's water polo. Maybe they have a frisbee team also (it is california.)

The confusion about what state universities are called is why the UC Regents wanted all UC's to go by the same name thus Cal-Davis became UC Davis. (of course Cal alums hate the notion of being second fiddle to UCLA so they kept the Cal moniker) The Cal-Davis thing doesn't bother me. It's understandable since the university grew up as the Baby-Cal (berkeley) and if you're not in the wine, ag, or biosci biz you've probably have no idea where Davis is. But everyone in the world knows what UCLA is and it shouldn't be too hard to make the UC connection.

Do you feel better now after getting all that out? :)

OL FU
September 13th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Let's see UNC - Greensboro - I think that's close to Boone.
UNC Asheville - I would put that next to Cullowhee
UNC - Wilmington - That's close to Coastal Carolina

I think I got it.

It is amazing how silly one's post are when one's football team is sucking wind :)

OrneryAggie
September 13th, 2005, 02:52 PM
It is amazing how silly one's post are when one's football team is sucking wind :)

It took 3 years of hard therapy (the 12oz. 24pack variety) to get over the Bloomsburg game in 2000. I need something to get my mind off the 2 choke jobs the Ags have pulled this year. And I'm too sore from overloading the weights the past 2 days to go back to the gym today so you's guy's will have to suffer with me.

Lumberjacks76
September 13th, 2005, 03:00 PM
If you win your conference, don't you still make the playoffs, even at 0-2 to start?

Paul

GannonFan
September 13th, 2005, 03:10 PM
If you win your conference, don't you still make the playoffs, even at 0-2 to start?

Paul

Maybe in 2 years UC Davis does - until then, they're on the outside looking in (darn NCAA rules!)

smarterray
September 13th, 2005, 03:15 PM
I like how this thread was supposed to be about Portland State. ;)

Anyway, if Grant & Kays would've started clicking at the beginning of the game rather than during the 4th Quarter, I think UCD would've come away a solid win against a solid opponent. However, this didn't happen and we ran out of time in the end.

That said, PSU is a very good team and I hope they do well in their conference schedule this year.

NoCoDanny
September 13th, 2005, 03:54 PM

I was asking questions about something I didn't understand. I know it's a shock to you but understanding the convoluted California higher education structure is not much of a priority for anyone outside the state.

You're a class act.

JALMOND
September 13th, 2005, 04:03 PM
A win still counts as a win and I'll take this as a win. I thought it might be sloppy but any win on the road against 1-AA to me is a good win. You did a superb job on Rubin, something Oregon State could not do. We were fortunate, we were sloppy, but we still got the win. Props to you and to your school for becoming a formidable 1-AA team in a short time. Good luck to Davis this year.

DuckDuckGriz
September 13th, 2005, 04:05 PM
There's more confusion in Montana.

We have:

Montana State
Montana State-Northern
Montana
Montana-Western

and other schools.

Paul

To add:
Montana Tech
Montana State-Billings
Eastern Montana

Stang Fever
September 13th, 2005, 04:06 PM

just real quick...difference between Cal State Poly Pomona and Cal Poly State San Luis Obispo is for one they are in two different cities about 3+ hours away from each other....

JALMOND
September 13th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Just for the record, DuckDuck---MSU-Billings and Eastern Montana are the same school. Eastern changed the same time Northern Montana and Western Montana changed. Also I believe the actual name now for Montana Tech is "Montana Tech of the University of Montana", but that is rather tough for most Butte residents to say, so it is still referred to as Montana Tech.