PDA

View Full Version : SEMIFINAL SWITCH - Dates now ASU/UR Fri. & SIU/UD Sat.

RadMann
December 2nd, 2007, 02:19 PM
I was just on the ESPN site 10 minutes ago and it still listed the FCS schedule the same ASU - UR Saturday, SIU - UD Friday. I went back just before hitting the send button and hit refresh, and the games are now swapped on ESPN's site... Talk about breaking news.

R.A.
December 2nd, 2007, 02:22 PM
They're both on TV right?

jonmac
App St.'s ticket purchase site also our game is Friday at 8. There is still some confusion. A little ridiculous if you ask me.

RadMann
Yes, they were originally and still are....

jonmac
December 2nd, 2007, 02:23 PM
From the SIU athletics website...

CARBONDALE, Ill.-The 2007 NCAA Division I Football Championship Semifinal matchup between Southern Illinois University and the University of Delaware has been moved to Saturday, Dec. 8. The Salukis and Blue Hens will kickoff at 3 p.m., CST, live on ESPN.

Due to severe weather, Delaware is currently facing several travel difficulties and has been unable to return home from Northern Iowa.
The other Semifinal matchup between Appalachian State and Richmond will now be televised by ESPN2 at 8 p.m., ET, on Friday, Dec. 7.

RadMann
December 2nd, 2007, 02:25 PM
and from ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3117576

Syntax Error
December 2nd, 2007, 02:27 PM
SEMIFINALS (12/7-8)
12/7 Richmond at APPALACHIAN STATE TV: ESPN2; 8 p.m. ET
12/8 Delaware at No. 4 SOUTHERN ILLINOIS TV: ESPN; 4 p.m. ET
(Home Team in CAPS)

skinny_uncle
December 2nd, 2007, 02:33 PM
I think they are trying to lessen any disadvantage Delaware might have from getting their flight delayed in Iowa yesterday.

ERASU2113
December 2nd, 2007, 02:35 PM
Nevermind they did change it...

"The move was influenced by the treacherous travel schedule of Delaware, which was scheduled to play Southern Illinois on Friday evening. Due to severe winter weather, UD has yet to fly out of Iowa, where it defeated Northern Iowa on Saturday. With the Blue Hens’ return to Delaware still in the air, the NCAA changed next weekend’s schedule to allow UD the maximum amount of time to return home and travel back to the Midwest next weekend. "

As soon as I went to look goASU had updated their website

mtoliver
December 2nd, 2007, 02:42 PM
hate that UD got held up... also hate that App plays on Fri... Oh well, one less day to wait, i guess

phillyAPP
December 2nd, 2007, 02:52 PM
Delaware is stuck in the airport and needs more time to get to SIU. SO the NCAA changed the game to Friday night 8pm.

I HATE THIS but i am ready !!!! Gotta stay POSITIVE .

UDChE89
December 2nd, 2007, 02:53 PM
Well, I'm now not going to the game since I have to be at a Christmas party on Saturday since I'm the host (and the one ultimately paying the bill).

Mountaineer
December 2nd, 2007, 02:54 PM
Delaware is stuck in the airport and needs more time to get to SIU. SO the NCAA changed the game to Friday night 8pm.

I HATE THIS but i am ready !!!! Gotta stay POSITIVE .

;)

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33969

skinny_uncle
December 2nd, 2007, 02:55 PM
Well, I'm now not going to the game since I have to be at a Christmas party on Saturday since I'm the host (and the one ultimately paying the bill).

Would anyone at the party object to a TV?

phillyAPP
December 2nd, 2007, 02:56 PM
;)

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33969

Do you live in VA, I drove by a car last night with the mountaineer on a Va licence plate. Very Cool.

ButlerGSU
December 2nd, 2007, 02:58 PM
When do App's finals end, Thursday or Friday? I just ask because GSU's end on Thursday of this week but we have fall graduation on Friday morning. That might be a good thing...you'll have tons of family in for graduation that morning who can stay for the game that night.

phillyAPP
December 2nd, 2007, 03:02 PM
When do App's finals end, Thursday or Friday? I just ask because GSU's end on Thursday of this week but we have fall graduation on Friday morning. That might be a good thing...you'll have tons of family in for graduation that morning who can stay for the game that night.

I heard Some on Friday and someone said Saturday?

But the drive in fan that has to take 1/2 day off or full day may miss the game LIVE. Its on ESPN. It will also be cold in the 20's or 30's. It will be much different crowd. I will be there LOUD AND PROUD.

GO APPS

HiHiYikas
December 2nd, 2007, 03:02 PM
Do you live in VA, I drove by a car last night with the mountaineer on a Va licence plate. Very Cool.
I have that. Tag says GOAPP.

Mountaineer
December 2nd, 2007, 03:04 PM
Yeah, it was probably HiHi. xthumbsupx

I still have a generic NC tag. Thinking of getting the ASU tag when mine comes up for renewal next month.

And I'm lucky enough to still live in Boone. :D :p

UDChE89
December 2nd, 2007, 03:07 PM
Would anyone at the party object to a TV?

Considering it will be held in the middle of a restaurant, likely.. it's a pretty classy place.. though there will likely be a TV on in the bar area...

I would have taken my employees to the game if it were on Friday

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 2nd, 2007, 03:08 PM
I'm sure the Friday game could cut down on the number of spiders travelling ... but those of us coming will have much more time to tailgate!

What time do the lots open?

HiHiYikas
December 2nd, 2007, 03:09 PM
Yeah, it was probably HiHi. xthumbsupx
Well, I wasn't in Boone yesterday. Last weekend for JMU, yes.

hapapp
December 2nd, 2007, 03:10 PM
I have that. Tag says GOAPP.

My VA plate says Apps 1.

HiHiYikas
December 2nd, 2007, 03:11 PM
My VA plate says Apps 1.
Is it the old-school Yosef ASU tag?

Richmond Mountaineer has ASU92 or something like that.

hapapp
December 2nd, 2007, 03:12 PM
I'm sure the Friday game could cut down on the number of spiders travelling ... but those of us coming will have much more time to tailgate!

These lots, of course, serve students during the day. ASU will be administering exams on Friday, so its hard to say what will be available and when. I would guess the Greenwood lot might the one that would easiest to access on Friday, but I don't know for sure.

hapapp
December 2nd, 2007, 03:13 PM
Is it the old-school Yosef ASU tag?

Richmond Mountaineer has ASU92 or something like that.

Yes.

KiddBrewer
December 2nd, 2007, 03:14 PM

thats the million dollar question right now i think......ha this is surely going to cause one hell of a mess for administration when they try to figure out the parking situation. xrolleyesx

ASUPATCH
December 2nd, 2007, 03:14 PM
Cant wait. Was hoping for the friday night game as I feel it will be the loudest rowdiest crowd in ASU history. Most alums can still get to Boone by 8pm from Charlotte Greensboro and the triad.

Syntax Error
December 2nd, 2007, 03:35 PM
The switch makes sense because UD fans have further to travel than UR fans.

Saint3333
December 2nd, 2007, 03:36 PM

There are exams on Friday, some from 6-9 PM and then also exams on Saturday.

This plus the bact that the majority of alumni live 2 hours or more away will kill attendance. I doubt 12K will show up:(

JayJ79
December 2nd, 2007, 03:42 PM
makes sense to make the switch, since not only does Delaware still have to make the trip back to Newark, but they have another long trip to Carbondale for their next game. Not to mention final exams (though it wouldn't surprise me if there were alternate arrangements made to accomodate the athletes).

Where as the distances involved for Richmond are significantly less, and free from weather delays.

ShgooseAPP
December 2nd, 2007, 03:49 PM
Kinda sucks it's on a friday. But really you can't beat having a game Under The Lights!!! xcoolx Should be a good one.

93BlueHen
December 2nd, 2007, 04:02 PM
Hens still haven't left the cornhole yet and won't be able to until Monday at the earliest:

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071202/SPORTS/71202008/1002/SPORTS

Moving the game to Saturday was an appreciated mercy ruling by the NCAA/ESPN.xthumbsupx

Eight Legger
December 2nd, 2007, 04:19 PM
Idiotic move. So much for having the best game on ESPN when everyone is watching. So much for sticking to a plan. Yet again, this makes us look like some high school organization that can't get itself together. Does Delaware need anything else, like maybe some cookies or a bedtime story??

If you have to move the Delaware-SIU game, fine -- do it. But don't mess with the game you already scheduled for Saturday. Who is running this fine mess?

RadMann
December 2nd, 2007, 04:22 PM
SIU is the only seeded team still left, so I'd say the SIU - UD game is the premier game. :)

93BlueHen
December 2nd, 2007, 04:26 PM
Idiotic move...

^

Someone get him some cheese.

thmst30
December 2nd, 2007, 04:32 PM
Hmmmm...... I LOVE having a night playoff game, but as mentioned earlier our attendance will be hurting, and hurting bad. Due to the date, time, and weather in the 20's many will stay home and watch on TV. Oh well, I WILL BE THERE ROOTING ON THE APPS. GO ASU!

blackNgold93
December 2nd, 2007, 04:38 PM
Assuming all other things being equal, here is my take on the semi and final game schedules.

Semis (Friday 12/7 8:00 pm)

ASU – Short week but home game last week and home game this week = 6 days prep

Vs.

UR – Short week but late game at Wofford, travel time home (1/2) and travel time to the Rock (1/2) = 5 days prep

Advantage ASU

Semis (Saturday 12/8 4:00 pm)

SIU – Full week and home game last week and home game this week = 7 days prep

Vs.

UD – Full week but loses significant time getting home from UNI (1+) and has to travel to SIU (1/2)= <5-1/2 days prep

Big advantage SIU

Championship (Friday 12/14)

If ASU – Full week, coming off a home game and short travel time to Chattanooga. = 6-1/2 days prep

If UR – Full week, travel home from ASU (1/2), travel to Chattanooga (1/2) = 6 days prep

Vs.

If SIU – Short week, coming off a home game and travel time to Chattanooga (1/2) = 5-1/2 days prep

If UD - Short week, travel home from SIU (1/2), travel to Chattanooga (1/2) = 5 days prep

According to this weak analytical model, it looks like ASU plays SIU for the Championship with ASU bringing home number 3 in a row.

I don’t like the Friday night games. Friday night football is for high school where the away game is in the next county.

I think both Semis should be on Saturday as well as the Championship. I think both teams should have a relatively equal amount of time to prepare for the biggest game of the year.

(How about that for a non-homer post?)

james_lawfirm
December 2nd, 2007, 04:40 PM
thats the million dollar question right now i think......ha this is surely going to cause one hell of a mess for administration when they try to figure out the parking situation. xrolleyesx

KB:

Rest assured that this ASU administration will rise to the occasion. Chancellor Peacock will be sure that the alums and fans will be cared for, while insuring that all students are properly in the right place at the right time for exams.

I am further certain that this is one "mess" the administration is absolutely delighted to have.

All other institutions of higher learning in the entire country have no better chancellor than we do here at ASU!

james_lawfirm
December 2nd, 2007, 04:43 PM
Idiotic move. So much for having the best game on ESPN when everyone is watching. So much for sticking to a plan. Yet again, this makes us look like some high school organization that can't get itself together. Does Delaware need anything else, like maybe some cookies or a bedtime story??

If you have to move the Delaware-SIU game, fine -- do it. But don't mess with the game you already scheduled for Saturday. Who is running this fine mess?

Charlie Cobb, ASU's AD. xrotatehx xlolx xnodx

Welcome to the ROCK!

ERASU2113
December 2nd, 2007, 05:03 PM

Finals don't officially end until the 12th. There are no exams here on Saturday. Friday is the second day of exams for us.

APPride
December 2nd, 2007, 05:08 PM
I don’t like the Friday night games. Friday night football is for high school where the away game is in the next county.
I think both Semis should be on Saturday as well as the Championship. I think both teams should have a relatively equal amount of time to prepare for the biggest game of the year.

This whole friday night switch is BOGUS !xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx but I realize right now it's all about the football (game) and we are privileged to be in it so I say let's do this thang!

back2back
December 2nd, 2007, 05:16 PM
I would be unable to attend on Saturday, so Friday is the greatest. I think there will be more than 12k there. Heck, we have taken that many to Chattanooga the last two years for Friday night games and the students will be there for the most part and will need a break from exams and prep.

Saint3333
December 2nd, 2007, 05:23 PM
SIU is the only seeded team still left, so I'd say the SIU - UD game is the premier game. :)

You'd be wrong. The average football fans only knows about ASU due to the Michigan win. It is a sad reality for the FCS.

Both games should be great though.xthumbsupx

HENJOHN
December 2nd, 2007, 05:37 PM

Not Delaware's fault. Complain to the NCAA and quit crying about it.

Syntax Error
December 2nd, 2007, 05:42 PM
... Who is running this fine mess?I know who hasn't read the procedures.
the determination of which teams play on which dates is subject to change if issues arisehttp://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=82975

feb18blacksunday
December 2nd, 2007, 06:00 PM
I think that the student section will be rowdy on Friday nite, class out @ 4 beer flowin til kickoff. I hope the alumni can get off work in time to get up here for the game,however traffic normally in Boone on Friday is a three ring cluster f. NCAA gets their show and the motels get their $.

Eight Legger
December 2nd, 2007, 06:29 PM
I'm not blaming Delaware, and I understand the rules -- I just think the whole situation is ridiculous. What if there's a blizzard in Richmond on Thursday and we can't get to Appy State? What if there's an ice storm in Boone? Then what will they do?

Does anyone think the I-A would operate this way? This situation is going to suck for someone -- either for one team or for the other three. In this case, the NCAA put the best interests of one team ahead of those of the other three, in my opinion. That's it.

RadMann
December 2nd, 2007, 06:33 PM
You'd be wrong. The average football fans only knows about ASU due to the Michigan win. It is a sad reality for the FCS.

Both games should be great though.xthumbsupx

Saint3333: You guys should be able to bask in the glow of the Michigan win this year, but please don't try to use it for reputation points for too long. The Vilanova folks still think they are above the fray because of their what --- 30 year old b-ball championship... lol

jonmac
December 2nd, 2007, 07:17 PM
Hopefully we'll get a chance to beat another top FBS program next year and ride that one. But the better wave to ride would be another NC.

JayJ79
December 2nd, 2007, 08:24 PM
I'm not blaming Delaware, and I understand the rules -- I just think the whole situation is ridiculous. What if there's a blizzard in Richmond on Thursday and we can't get to Appy State? What if there's an ice storm in Boone? Then what will they do?

Does anyone think the I-A would operate this way? This situation is going to suck for someone -- either for one team or for the other three. In this case, the NCAA put the best interests of one team ahead of those of the other three, in my opinion. That's it.

xbabycryx xbabycryx

you're whining about a 315 mile trip (after only a 365 mile trip last week).

Delaware has a 1030 mile trip back from Iowa, and then a 900 mile trip to Carbondale.

And as for prep time, App State and Richmond will still have more days than Delaware

JayJ79
December 2nd, 2007, 08:26 PM
BTW, does anyone know if the NCAA provides extra money to teams that incur extra expenses (hotel, meals, etc.) due travel delays like this, or does the school have to pony up the money?

Appaholic
December 2nd, 2007, 08:56 PM
BTW, does anyone know if the NCAA provides extra money to teams that incur extra expenses (hotel, meals, etc.) due travel delays like this, or does the school have to pony up the money?

I would hope so considering the money they get paid for televising the games........which, by coincidence, is the reason that EITHER team has to play on friday night. NCAA sucks.......xmadx xmadx

ASUdrummer
December 2nd, 2007, 09:21 PM
The NCAA provides the per diem as well for the teams. Just like they pay for the Marching Bands to travel and have money for food!

Eight Legger
December 2nd, 2007, 09:23 PM
Well, the reason you have to make longer trips is because we beat you, finished ahead of you and won the conference. Therefore, we earn the right to play closer to home. Sometimes you just have to roll with the punches.

Would it be the end of the world if Delaware got home a day later and still had to play the same time on Friday? Probably not. What about the Redskins? They played today and have a funeral to attend tomorrow, then a game on Thursday. Maybe the NFL should move their game back to next Monday night to give them a break. . .

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2007, 09:36 PM
Well, the reason you have to make longer trips is because we beat you, finished ahead of you and won the conference. Therefore, we earn the right to play closer to home. Sometimes you just have to roll with the punches.

Would it be the end of the world if Delaware got home a day later and still had to play the same time on Friday? Probably not. What about the Redskins? They played today and have a funeral to attend tomorrow, then a game on Thursday. Maybe the NFL should move their game back to next Monday night to give them a break. . .

Heck, we ought to just put it off until UD feels they're ready. Wasn't UNI in a similar situation a few years ago. Let me guess, they got squat from the committee.

AAadict
December 2nd, 2007, 09:39 PM
Eight Legger...maybe you just suck it up and play friday. Do a fan poll and see how wrong you are.

appsfan
December 2nd, 2007, 09:40 PM
While I understand everyone's concern about the late date/time change for the game, this is GREAT news for me. Since I am going to Jacksonville Fl to see my loser Panthers play the Jags Sunday, there was no way for me to make the Saturday game. Thanks to the divine intervention which caused the game to be moved, I will be in Boone for Friday's game.

It sucks that I didn't reserve my regular seats since I expected a Sauturday game, but at least I'm there. BTW, I expect the game to be over capacity, at 18 to 20k based on the limited availability when I bought my tickets.
Go Apps!

HiHiYikas
December 2nd, 2007, 09:42 PM
Not to nitpick, but none of these things has any bearing on where Richmond or Delaware play this week. There's only one team that's earned the right to play at home left in the tournament, and that team is Southern Illinois. If they weren't seeded, their 9700 fans per game stroungly suggests that 21,000 per game Delaware would be hosting this round.

Outside those four seeds, it's about attendance. Teams that are outdrawn by the VMI's and WCU's of the world don't "earn" home games.

thmst30
December 2nd, 2007, 09:43 PM
While I understand everyone's concern about the late date/time change for the game, this is GREAT news for me. Since I am going to Jacksonville Fl to see my loser Panthers play the Jags Sunday, there was no way for me to make the Saturday game. Thanks to the divine intervention which caused the game to be moved, I will be in Boone for Friday's game.

It sucks that I didn't reserve my regular seats since I expected a Sauturday game, but at least I'm there. BTW, I expect the game to be over capacity, at 18 to 20k based on the limited availability when I bought my tickets.
Go Apps!
NOOOOO chance, those tix were bought when it was planned to be a Saturday game, and since all ticket sales are final they have to stay sold, but that doesn't mean the buyers will be able to show up. I HOPE HOPE HOPE that your right and I'm dead wrong, but there are just way too many factors playing against us for a large attendance this week. That being said, I have wanted a night playoff game for a while now, Saturday night would be better than Friday night, but still I think the atmosphere (though small) will be electric and incredible.

JayJ79
December 2nd, 2007, 09:46 PM

You didn't beat me, or the team that I root for. But UD did, and thus they will be playing next weekend, and we won't be.

But anyway, Richmond finishing ahead of Delaware in the regular season didn't really have anything to do with why they have to travel farther in the quarterfinals/semifinals. It's just the way the bracket ended up.

No, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Just like it's not the end of the world for Richmond to play on Friday night instead of Saturday afternoon. Even though you seem to think it is. Sometimes you just have to roll with the punches...

UDChE89
December 2nd, 2007, 09:54 PM
Heck, we ought to just put it off until UD feels they're ready. Wasn't UNI in a similar situation a few years ago. Let me guess, they got squat from the committee.

UNI's situation wasn't quite the same.. due to poor planning around a well known weather even, they wound up not arriving until 18 hours before kickoff... that's why UD went out to Cedar Falls on Wednesday rather than Thursday.

UDChE89
December 2nd, 2007, 09:55 PM

First, UD's going to get home much more than a day later.... they were originally due in at 2:30 AM this morning. The fact they couldn't leave wasn't up to the NCAA but due to the weather, something they have no control over. Comparing this to the Redskins is like comparing apples to kumquats. The Redskins don't HAVE to go to the funeral. UD HAD to stay in Cedar Falls last night.