PDA

View Full Version : Preaching to the Choir....

appstate38
December 2nd, 2007, 12:10 PM
I have a bone to pick with some fans at yesterday's game. And while I doubt this applies to my fellow AGS'ers, it still should be said. My problem is the fair weather bandwagon fans that decided to leave the App/EWU game before it was over. To which half of those ended up standing on the hill near the gates to watch the finish. These are in my opinion probably the same bunch who would have liked to see Coach Moore fired after the 2004 season when we went 6-5. I have not heard of any Griz fans or Delaware fans doing this kind of stupid stuff and I just wish we could learn to handle success a little better. The lesson being that, when I attended and played we didn't play to capacity crowds very often, so it would be nice if we could maybe act like we have been there before. That is my xtwocentsx! Thanks for listening.

Henwatcher
December 2nd, 2007, 12:30 PM
Hey 38, I watched the GSU-App. St. game a while back and they had a camera showing the App. St. fans leaving in bunches at the beginning of the 4th quarter. I believe the score at the time was GSU 38 ASU 20.

rob_p469
December 2nd, 2007, 12:36 PM
I have a bone to pick with some fans at yesterday's game. And while I doubt this applies to my fellow AGS'ers, it still should be said. My problem is the fair weather bandwagon fans that decided to leave the App/EWU game before it was over. To which half of those ended up standing on the hill near the gates to watch the finish. These are in my opinion probably the same bunch who would have liked to see Coach Moore fired after the 2004 season when we went 6-5. I have not heard of any Griz fans or Delaware fans doing this kind of stupid stuff and I just wish we could learn to handle success a little better. The lesson being that, when I attended and played we didn't play to capacity crowds very often, so it would be nice if we could maybe act like we have been there before. That is my xtwocentsx! Thanks for listening.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

93BlueHen
December 2nd, 2007, 01:03 PM
The only time I can excuse an early exit is during a blowout game in bad weather. Any other time, it's a party foul.

Appstate29
December 2nd, 2007, 01:04 PM
I had to leave 2 minutes early yesterday to make it to work relatively on time. Otherwise I would have stayed the entire time like I have all year.

ButlerGSU
December 2nd, 2007, 01:18 PM
Hey 38, I watched the GSU-App. St. game a while back and they had a camera showing the App. St. fans leaving in bunches at the beginning of the 4th quarter. I believe the score at the time was GSU 38 ASU 20.

They flowed out like a river at that game. I would say they have a number of bandwagon fans but that's to be expected when you have newfound success, the real question is how many will still be around when you aren't on top?

Appdad
December 2nd, 2007, 02:25 PM
They flowed out like a river at that game. I would say they have a number of bandwagon fans but that's to be expected when you have newfound success, the real question is how many will still be around when you aren't on top?

Kind of like that listless student crowd in Statesboro the year before.

ButlerGSU
December 2nd, 2007, 02:50 PM
Kind of like that listless student crowd in Statesboro the year before.

Nah, our avg attendance in the WORST record ever for GSU was still pretty high just as it was 16,000+ in 2005. This season we avg close to 19,000 and didn't even make the playoffs. We've got a good base of true fans.

It seems like I Remember close to 10,000 students being at the App State game last season. I'd have to look it up but its far from what I'd consider 'listless'

Appdad
December 2nd, 2007, 02:54 PM
Nah, our avg attendance in the WORST record ever for GSU was still pretty high just as it was 16,000+ in 2005. This season we avg close to 19,000 and didn't even make the playoffs. We've got a good base of true fans.

It seems like I Remember close to 10,000 students being at the App State game last season. I'd have to look it up but its far from what I'd consider 'listless'

Just like some at ASU they were there for the party. Half the student section was empty before overtime. As a follower of GSU for years I really noticed the exodus

ButlerGSU
December 2nd, 2007, 02:56 PM
Just like some at ASU they were there for the party. Half the student section was empty before overtime. As a follower of GSU for years I really noticed the exodus

Were you at the same game? It went into 3 OT's, I was in the student section and it was packed till the end. I remember because we kept trying to move down but couldn't.

Appdad
December 2nd, 2007, 03:23 PM
Were you at the same game? It went into 3 OT's, I was in the student section and it was packed till the end. I remember because we kept trying to move down but couldn't.

Yep I was there. You needed to look behind you.

Just like at APP it looked like the frat crowd bailed to get an early start.

All that being said, the crowd was the most curdious to opposing fans that I have seen in the 'boro.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 2nd, 2007, 03:33 PM
I don't think there is anyone here that can say that their homegame attendances wouldn't be much lower without fair-weather fans when times are good.

GSU understands your pain, and in fact, they do moreso than you guys do. In addition to fairweather fans, we also have to deal with people who are bulldogs first and eagles second. I doubt if you usually see a lot of UNC and NC State crap on at football games. I bet you didn't have people wearing UNC or NC State stuff when you played NC State last year, either.

AppStateSVX
December 2nd, 2007, 03:36 PM
geeze people, there will always be "bandwagon fans" Does it seriously bother you that much? does it make you less of a fan? let them do what they want and worry about yourselves. EVERY SCHOOL will have fans like that, it says NOTHING about the school. get over it already

proasu89
December 2nd, 2007, 04:54 PM
I don't think there is anyone here that can say that their homegame attendances wouldn't be much lower without fair-weather fans when times are good.

GSU understands your pain, and in fact, they do moreso than you guys do. In addition to fairweather fans, we also have to deal with people who are bulldogs first and eagles second. I doubt if you usually see a lot of UNC and NC State crap on at football games. I bet you didn't have people wearing UNC or NC State stuff when you played NC State last year, either.

It happens more than it should. Sat one person over from someone yesterday in full "Tar Heel regalia". This person was w/ an App student so I going to give him the benefit of the doubt and say he came to visit a friend and watch some real football. We feel your pain because we share this state w/ 4 ACC schools and East Carolina w/Tennessee close by. You may see any combination or all of these at a gamexsmhx As to the State game last year, it was mentioned either here or on the MMB about the incident where someone turned around during the game and asked a ASU fan "why would you pull for App". Guess what this azz was an ASU gradxnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

feb18blacksunday
December 2nd, 2007, 05:55 PM
I never leave early, sat through all 79 points of the WCU game when all the bandwagon fans left. I also stay around the Yosef lot to listen to the post game radio show. Its part of the experience.xcoolx

Appaholic
December 2nd, 2007, 06:25 PM
geeze people, there will always be "bandwagon fans" Does it seriously bother you that much? does it make you less of a fan? let them do what they want and worry about yourselves. EVERY SCHOOL will have fans like that, it says NOTHING about the school. get over it already

I agree....and quite honestly, will be glad when some of the bandwagoneers drop off.....let's be honest....they crowd the tailgate, they are typically the one's who get drunk and talk smack to opposing fans and players, and they usually leave the games early to "beat the traffic"......us real fans like to get there early, tailgate nicely, yell lound and long in support of the team, stay until the end, and then tailgate in the parking lots while the bandwagoneers "beat the traffic"....xthumbsupx

MountaineerGuy
December 2nd, 2007, 06:36 PM
In addition to fairweather fans, we also have to deal with people who are bulldogs first and eagles second. I doubt if you usually see a lot of UNC and NC State crap on at football games. I bet you didn't have people wearing UNC or NC State stuff when you played NC State last year, either.

I don't think I've been to any ASU sporting event, homecoming event, party, class, or even walked from one end to the other without seeing UNC, Duke, NC State, and/or Wake Forest gear. I've seen people who tailgate at app games with Tarheel tents and mugs. I'm not trying to outdo you, but to think we don't deal with people who have other loyalties is kind of...not something you should think...

(I was going to find a better way to articulate it, but then I was like...nah)

CID1990
December 2nd, 2007, 06:42 PM

That's because the only alternative is cow tipping or tractor pulls.

ButlerGSU
December 2nd, 2007, 06:57 PM
That's because the only alternative is cow tipping or tractor pulls.

We don't all sit around wishing we were West Point.

proasu89
December 2nd, 2007, 07:08 PM

xlolx

CID1990
December 3rd, 2007, 12:46 PM

We don't even acknowledge West Point.

That's like saying Furman sits around wishing they were SMU.

89Hen
December 3rd, 2007, 12:48 PM
The only time I can excuse an early exit is during a blowout game in bad weather. Any other time, it's a party foul.
I left the UD/DSU game after the fumble for DSU's score. :o

The Moody1
December 3rd, 2007, 01:49 PM
I would say they have a number of bandwagon fans but that's to be expected when you have newfound success

I have been following ASU football for over 25 years and I would not call our success newfound. We have had a solid program for a long time. Most of GSU's success came in the last century, so if they make it back I guess they will have some newfound success.

Apps03
December 3rd, 2007, 02:26 PM
I was one that left the game early on Saturday. I left when we went up 17 with 6 minutes to play. I had tickets to a Doc Watson show in Charlotte that night. Tickets were paid for in July, long before we knew we would have a playoff game that day. Any of you who know Doc knows that you have to see him when you can because you don't know what show will be his last. I was there loud and proud until I felt the game was in hand. Would have been no contest if we didn't go into "let the other team run wild" defense (prevent). That's the only game I've left early this year and I've been to every one, home or away. Does that make me less of a fan? I don't think so. The point is, you don't know why other people are leaving. There may just be a valid reason for it. Maybe we should just be thankful they paid for a ticket and were there in the first place. xcoffeex