Pages : [1] 2

BlueHenBoy
December 2nd, 2007, 12:03 PM
What say you?

What's the weather supposed to be like?

LETS GO HENS.

Henwatcher
December 2nd, 2007, 12:21 PM
The weather is the least of UD worries right now. Last I heard they are still somewhere in Iowa trying to get a flight home. When they finally get home, they need to cram some studying in four upcoming exams. Plus trying to find time to look at SIU game films, practicing and getting on a flight back to Illinois Wed. or Thurs. I wouldn't expect much out of the Blue Hens come Friday night.

Reed Rothchild
December 2nd, 2007, 12:50 PM
Carbondale is a totally different climate than Cedar Falls. The weather shouldn't be an issue.

caribbeanhen
December 2nd, 2007, 01:01 PM
The weather is the least of UD worries right now. Last I heard they are still somewhere in Iowa trying to get a flight home. When they finally get home, they need to cram some studying in four upcoming exams. Plus trying to find time to look at SIU game films, practicing and getting on a flight back to Illinois Wed. or Thurs. I wouldn't expect much out of the Blue Hens come Friday night.

I agree hw, xsmiley_wix

that sounds like a tubby Raymond quote

caribbeanhen
December 2nd, 2007, 01:03 PM
looks like Hens fans will be talking with Hen fans leading up to this weeks game, as the S Ill fan already admitted he is more interested in the Basket ball season

pather
December 2nd, 2007, 01:05 PM
carbondale this time of year is unpredictable. small chance you could have snow, but more likely just really high winds. it could be a gorgeous day, but you just wont know until maybe the day before.

and are you referring to me being more interested in bball?

pather
December 2nd, 2007, 01:06 PM
and im sure everyone knows, but just to put it in this thread: game will be on espn2 on friday night

dbackjon
December 2nd, 2007, 01:06 PM
Go Salukis!!

caribbeanhen
December 2nd, 2007, 01:09 PM
Go Salukis!!

good to see some Salukis on the thread

caribbeanhen
December 2nd, 2007, 01:09 PM
carbondale this time of year is unpredictable. small chance you could have snow, but more likely just really high winds. it could be a gorgeous day, but you just wont know until maybe the day before.

and are you referring to me being more interested in bball?

I dont know, is it true?

pather
December 2nd, 2007, 01:10 PM
gotta rep the dawgs

even if it is bball season

pather
December 2nd, 2007, 01:11 PM
I dont know, is it true?

for me no. in general im a bigger basketball fan, but when my team is 2 wins away from a national title...that takes precedence over all else

caribbeanhen
December 2nd, 2007, 01:18 PM
for me no. in general im a bigger basketball fan, but when my team is 2 wins away from a national title...that takes precedence over all else

and what about the rest of campus? town?

pather
December 2nd, 2007, 01:25 PM
and what about the rest of campus? town?

sadly im questioning it. i have half a mind to believe that people only went to either bball or football yesterday...and then throw in the parade. lord knows id have been at all the games. its not excusable in the least...im just trying to make sense of it. in general mens ball is the most important thing and that was the biggest home game we have had in a while.

if less than 10k show for delaware game though ill be disapointed

we were between 9-11k during reg season

pather
December 2nd, 2007, 01:27 PM
seeing as how i took this semester off and am back in my home state of washington i dont know for sure...but thats what i suspect.

caribbeanhen
December 2nd, 2007, 01:28 PM
what is the capacity?

pather
December 2nd, 2007, 01:29 PM
between 15 and 17k

skinny_uncle
December 2nd, 2007, 01:31 PM
It's not surprising that basketball is king at SIU after six straight trips to the Dance and a couple of Sweet Sixteen appearances. There is no reason a Saluki fan can't enjoy both sports, though.

pather
December 2nd, 2007, 01:33 PM
I agreee. If I was there I'd have been at both games. But Men's B-Ball should be and I dont forsee it not being #1 on campus. I don't care who we play saturday though, if there is a game, people better turn out for the semi-final. At least those who did go to the quarter-final were loud as heck. I wouldnt have been able to tell you it was only 6500 until the announcers said so

ChickenMan
December 2nd, 2007, 01:35 PM
It's not surprising that basketball is king at SIU after six straight trips to the Dance and a couple of Sweet Sixteen appearances.

UD quit playing basketball about five years ago.

skinny_uncle
December 2nd, 2007, 01:37 PM
what is the capacity?

The largest crowd in Mac history is listed at 17150. If you crammed that many people in there today, the place might collapse. It was built in 1938 and is showing signs of age. It is due to be replaced in 2010.

JayJ79
December 2nd, 2007, 02:01 PM

My parents said they saw the UD team eating breakfast/lunch/brunch at Bonanza (steak/buffet place) here in Cedar Falls, Iowa this morning. Evidently Keeler was on his cell phone most of the time, being none too happy.

Travel delays like that certainly suck. Though I see it as at least a little bit of karmic payback for UNI's travel delays in Delaware back in '03. (not that the delays then were UD's fault, any more than the delays this weekend are UNI's fault. Our AD didn't even have enough influence to get the game time we wanted yesterday, much less the influence to control the weather. haha)

RadMann
December 2nd, 2007, 02:08 PM
Game has been moved to Saturday due to the delay.

ChickenMan
December 2nd, 2007, 02:11 PM
Game has been moved to Saturday due to the delay.

What???

RadMann
December 2nd, 2007, 02:14 PM
Not official, but the Saluki fans on their board heard it on the radio. The Gohens board reports someone saw it on the ESPN site. Games have been swapped.

skinny_uncle
December 2nd, 2007, 02:28 PM
Not official, but the Saluki fans on their board heard it on the radio. The Gohens board reports someone saw it on the ESPN site. Games have been swapped.

It is still showing the SIU Delaware game on Friday night in their TV listings, but maybe it is just not updated.

blukeys
December 2nd, 2007, 02:29 PM

Makes Sense. Easier to get from Richmond to ASU then Newark to Carbondale.

skinny_uncle
December 2nd, 2007, 02:55 PM
The game is Saturday.

BlueHenBoy
December 2nd, 2007, 03:57 PM
So lets get ssome talk on the actual game.

What's the "scouting report" on the Saluki's?

Henwatcher
December 2nd, 2007, 04:03 PM
I wonder how long it will take for someone to complain and whine about the games being switched.

pather
December 2nd, 2007, 04:05 PM
i like the switch

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2007, 04:07 PM
So lets get ssome talk on the actual game.

What's the "scouting report" on the Saluki's?

Good speed on defense.

skinny_uncle
December 2nd, 2007, 04:09 PM
Good speed on defense.
That was a bit brief. I think you left out a few details.

pather
December 2nd, 2007, 04:12 PM
nick hill and flacco might be the best two QB's in the FCS. it should be a great duel

delaware's one stud RB vs SIU's 3-4 very good ones. SIU's d-line needs to step up for them to win. if cloud and luster play like they did yesterday i like SIU's chances

BlueHenBoy
December 2nd, 2007, 04:18 PM
nick hill and flacco might be the best two QB's in the FCS. it should be a great duel

delaware's one stud RB vs SIU's 3-4 very good ones. SIU's d-line needs to step up for them to win. if cloud and luster play like they did yesterday i like SIU's chances

Maybe you need a better scouting report on Delaware?

First off, it's rude to Mr. Flacco to compare him to Nick Hill, that's very insulting. xnonono2x

Also, Delaware has some very good backup running backs, they just don't need to use them because Omar is practically invincable *knock on wood*.

How about the SIU Wide Recievers? For Delaware, Aaron Love is the go to reciever, with great hands. The others, Michaud and Duncan might be a little undersized, but once they get the ball in the open field they become very hard to catch, with their deceptive speed and quick feet.

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2007, 04:24 PM
That was a bit brief. I think you left out a few details.

Yeah, but that's what it boils down to.;)

Right now it looks to me like the key for SIU is getting the same kind of pressure from the DL that they put on Coen. Gotta have as many back as possible the way that Flacco throws lasers.
How does UD's O line compare to UMass'?

Rob Iola
December 2nd, 2007, 04:35 PM
As with UNI game - turnovers and Flacco's desire should decide who wins...

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2007, 04:41 PM

First off, it's rude to Mr. Flacco to compare him to Nick Hill, that's very insulting. xnonono2x

Also, Delaware has some very good backup running backs, they just don't need to use them because Omar is practically invincable *knock on wood*.

How about the SIU Wide Recievers? For Delaware, Aaron Love is the go to reciever, with great hands. The others, Michaud and Duncan might be a little undersized, but once they get the ball in the open field they become very hard to catch, with their deceptive speed and quick feet.

The WRs are like the RBs, there's a bunch of them and they're all good enough to beat you although we don't have a marquee receiver. One thing they do real well, imo, is block downfield.

HENJOHN
December 2nd, 2007, 05:29 PM
Game is at 4:00 (Delaware time) SATURDAY on ESPN....not ESPN 2 now. Early forecats for Carbondale SAT is:

"30% chance of showers, a High of 57F and a low of 44F"

YoUDeeMan
December 2nd, 2007, 05:43 PM
Good speed on defense.

How did that "speed" give up well over 500 yards on D? xeyebrowx

Syntax Error
December 2nd, 2007, 05:53 PM
... it's rude to Mr. Flacco to compare him to Nick Hill, that's very insulting...xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Pass Eff.
3 Nick Hill, Southern Ill. 174.5
12 Joe Flacco, Delaware 150.0

Points Responsible For
12 Nick Hill, Southern Ill. 14.77
35 Joe Flacco, Delaware 11.38

Total Offense
10 Joe Flacco, Delaware 284.8
17 Nick Hill, Southern Ill. 260.4

Pass Comp
7 Joe Flacco, Delaware 22.08
21 Nick Hill, Southern Ill. 18.92

Pass Yards
3 Joe Flacco, Delaware 3686
7 Nick Hill, Southern Ill. 3069

Hardly an insult to either QB.
http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2007&div=5&site=org

Tubby Raymond
December 2nd, 2007, 05:54 PM
Have you guys figured out that the CAA #'s are more meaningful than #'s from conferances that have Indiana Stae University in them

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2007, 06:10 PM
Have you guys figured out that the CAA #'s are more meaningful than #'s from conferances that have Indiana Stae University in them

OK, but you gotta leave out Towson, URI, Northeastern, and Maine.

Ud1Hens
December 2nd, 2007, 06:22 PM
OK, but you gotta leave out Towson, URI, Northeastern, and Maine.

Towson, URI, and Northeastern actually won games and beat playoff teams.

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2007, 06:23 PM
How did that "speed" give up well over 500 yards on D? xeyebrowx

That "speed" held UMass to 101 net yds. rushing, picked of three passes, and hurried Coen all day. They gave up a lot of yardage in the 4th quarter playing three deep with a two TD lead. The game wasn't as close as the score or the stats, SIU was clearly faster. No smack, just the facts.

umassfan
December 2nd, 2007, 06:56 PM
That "speed" held UMass to 101 net yds. rushing, picked of three passes, and hurried Coen all day. They gave up a lot of yardage in the 4th quarter playing three deep with a two TD lead. The game wasn't as close as the score or the stats, SIU was clearly faster. No smack, just the facts.

Dude you gave up yards all game not just the 4th qt... I do believe Coen had 300+ yards passing going into the 4th.

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2007, 07:07 PM
Dude you gave up yards all game not just the 4th qt... I do believe Coen had 300+ yards passing going into the 4th.

If he did, it was a quiet 300+ yards. It was a two TD lead until there was 4:00 left in the game. UMass never saw the ball again because SIU ran it down their throats the whole 4:00, kept the ball for 10:00 of the 4th quarter, and UMass had 8 and 9 in the box when they did it.

Ivytalk
December 2nd, 2007, 07:50 PM
Gotta go with my Hens.xnodx I sense their football mojo!xthumbsupx

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2007, 08:06 PM
Gotta go with my Hens.xnodx I sense their football mojo!xthumbsupx

They do seem to peaking at the right time. UD's O line vs. SIU's D line looks like the crucial match-up at this point.

crunifan
December 2nd, 2007, 08:12 PM
It took two turnovers for Delaware to finish off UNI. If SIU protects the ball they have a great chance to win this.

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2007, 08:17 PM
It took two turnovers for Delaware to finish off UNI. If SIU protects the ball they have a great chance to win this.

Love to hear your thoughts on the two. My quick impression is that UD has an edge on offense at receiver, and that SIU has an edge on defense speed and pass-rush wise.

umassfan
December 2nd, 2007, 08:24 PM
Love to hear your thoughts on the two. My quick impression is that UD has an edge on offense at receiver, and that SIU has an edge on defense speed and pass-rush wise.

It all depends on if UDels OLine if it is banged up like ours was for that game. UDel has a big oline. If they arent hurting... they should protect vs your defense. Plus from watching the game tape... I wouldnt say SIUs D was that fast. Hell Rancher burned you many times.

umassfan
December 2nd, 2007, 08:27 PM
If he did, it was a quiet 300+ yards. It was a two TD lead until there was 4:00 left in the game. UMass never saw the ball again because SIU ran it down their throats the whole 4:00, kept the ball for 10:00 of the 4th quarter, and UMass had 8 and 9 in the box when they did it.

You did run all over us. Our LBers played like trash in that game. I cant believe Hatchell got burt by your TE on those deep balls. Thats very unlike him. Walker looked out of place quite a few times on D as well. Not the norm for a UMass D... but a good gameplan by SIU.

umassfan
December 2nd, 2007, 08:29 PM

The three INTs of Coen was the difference for SIU vs UMass. If Flacco gets time to throw... UD wins easy. Cuff will have a field day running.

BlueHen86
December 2nd, 2007, 08:32 PM

I agree. Big games like this often come down to who wins the turn over battle. If the turnovers are even I give the edge to SIU, but it's close.

crunifan
December 2nd, 2007, 08:34 PM
The three INTs of Coen was the difference for SIU vs UMass. If Flacco gets time to throw... UD wins easy. Cuff will have a field day running.

Cuff was pretty overrated. UNI kept him in check for the majority of the game. Flacco is definitely as good as he is billed up to be, though.

SIU has faced a better running back in UNI's Corey Lewis and they held him pretty well. They can contain Cuff.

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2007, 08:44 PM
It all depends on if UDels OLine if it is banged up like ours was for that game. UDel has a big oline. If they arent hurting... they should protect vs your defense. Plus from watching the game tape... I wouldnt say SIUs D was that fast. Hell Rancher burned you many times.

Fast enough, I guess. Everybody is fast at the skill positions. Our D-line and LBs were faster than your O line and TE, not smack, just what I saw and I don't know what your injury situation was, we're fairly healthy I believe. When Coen had time to wait for his receivers to get downfield he made some plays, but that wasn't very often, we were getting good pressure from the down linemen for most of the game. I'm not belittling UMass, they are the champions of this year's toughest FCS conference, but I saw some things early on like how on the first TD pass #11 couldn't catch our TE who caught the ball at a dead stop 50 yards from the end zone. I also saw some arm tackles in the first quarter that looked to be the result of being just a tad behind.

McNeese72
December 2nd, 2007, 08:58 PM
Been debating with myself over who to pull for in this game.

We, McNeese fans, get along with the Delaware fans but have no history with the SIU fans.

BUT, McNeese Football Great Bufford Jordan's son plays for SIU. Got to go with SIU then. No offense to the Delaware fans. :)

Doc

RadMann
December 2nd, 2007, 09:09 PM
I'm not belittling UMass, they are the champions of this year's toughest FCS conference, but I saw some things early on like how on the first TD pass #11 couldn't catch our TE who caught the ball at a dead stop 50 yards from the end zone. I also saw some arm tackles in the first quarter that looked to be the result of being just a tad behind.

UMass was co-champion of the conference this year.

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2007, 09:09 PM
Been debating with myself over who to pull for in this game.

We, McNeese fans, get along with the Delaware fans but have no history with the SIU fans.

BUT, McNeese Football Great Bufford Jordan's son plays for SIU. Got to go with SIU then. No offense to the Delaware fans. :)

Doc

Brandin Jordan has had a very good year playing on a bad foot.

blur2005
December 2nd, 2007, 09:12 PM
Let's go Hens, I want an all-CAA championship game.

SIU will need to control the clock and keep Delaware's offense off the field, especially since Delaware's defense is not as stiff as its offense is powerful.

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2007, 09:14 PM

SIU will need to control the clock and keep Delaware's offense off the field, especially since Delaware's defense is not as stiff as its offense is powerful.

That seems like the conventional wisdom, but UD's defense was the difference today. How do they compare with Umass' defense?

AAadict
December 2nd, 2007, 09:17 PM
Crunifan...your team didn't keep anyone in check. Hen's play team football and winning 39-27 on your own turf/dome shows that. Play that game in Newark and it gets ugly. We experienced this same situation in 2003 where the competition was tougher in the CAA than in the playoffs. We don't win too many CAA games by 10+ pts but come playoff time it gets easier (if we draw the Gateway and not another CAA team...W&M 2004). Cuff overated?He has a game on Saturday. Overated UNI can watch it.

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2007, 09:21 PM
Crunifan...your team didn't keep anyone in check. Hen's play team football and winning 39-27 on your own turf/dome shows that. Play that game in Newark and it gets ugly. We experienced this same situation in 2003 where the competition was tougher in the CAA than in the playoffs. We don't win too many CAA games by 10+ pts but come playoff time it gets easier (if we draw the Gateway and not another CAA team...W&M 2004). Cuff overated?He has a game on Saturday. Overated UNI can watch it.

I think holding UD's offense to 25 points isn't a bad days work. How many yards did Cuff have?

igo4uni
December 2nd, 2007, 09:24 PM

Both Nick Hill and Flacco seemed to be able to pick UNI's pass defense apart. The turnovers hurt (especially having 1 returned for a TD) but that's part of the game. It should be a good game. If I knew who would win, I'd be living on the beach betting on football games via a laptop!!

P.S. I would also be butt azz naked on that beach!!!xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

AAadict
December 2nd, 2007, 09:29 PM
Ask the UNI football team how they feel about Omar Cuff. If SIU feels that a back who is one of the top scoring backs in the history of FCS/I-AA is overated then fine. Fact Hen's 39 - Panthers 27. Cuff was a big part of that victory (Cuff 102 yrds Rushing & 59 yrds Rec.)

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2007, 09:32 PM
Ask the UNI football team how they feel about Omar Cuff. If SIU feels that a back who is one of the top scoring backs in the history of FCS/I-AA is overated then fine. Fact Hen's 39 - Panthers 27. Cuff was a big part of that victory (Cuff 102 yrds Rushing & 59 yrds Rec.)

Easy there, tiger, nobody from SIU said Cuff was overrated.xconfusedx xpeacex How did Corey Lewis do?

Monarch History
December 2nd, 2007, 09:33 PM

I would love a Delaware vs Richmond final, with Delaware (a true CAA member) taking it all.xrotatehx

umassfan
December 2nd, 2007, 09:37 PM
Fast enough, I guess. Everybody is fast at the skill positions. Our D-line and LBs were faster than your O line and TE, not smack, just what I saw and I don't know what your injury situation was, we're fairly healthy I believe. When Coen had time to wait for his receivers to get downfield he made some plays, but that wasn't very often, we were getting good pressure from the down linemen for most of the game. I'm not belittling UMass, they are the champions of this year's toughest FCS conference, but I saw some things early on like how on the first TD pass #11 couldn't catch our TE who caught the ball at a dead stop 50 yards from the end zone. I also saw some arm tackles in the first quarter that looked to be the result of being just a tad behind.

The arm tackles had nothing to do with speed. It had alot to do with bad possition. Our LBers played like trash as I stated.

igo4uni
December 2nd, 2007, 09:40 PM
Ask the UNI football team how they feel about Omar Cuff.

He's good...........but it was the QB that did the damage, not Cuff......imo.

igo4uni
December 2nd, 2007, 09:41 PM
How did Corey Lewis do?

;) ;) ;) ;)

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2007, 09:43 PM
The arm tackles had nothing to do with speed. It had alot to do with bad possition. Our LBers played like trash as I stated.

LBs seldom look good when the D line is getting whipped.

AAadict
December 2nd, 2007, 09:57 PM
Lewis is a great RB. So is Cuff. Factoid for those who don't know. 2004 the Hen's have NO RB's that are worth a can of Pepsi. They converted Omar Cuff (freshman) from Defensive Back to RB in the middle of the season (@JMU). Now one of the best Hen's in History. I'm sure most posters don't care but thought I'd throw it out.

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2007, 10:06 PM
Lewis is a great RB. So is Cuff. Factoid for those who don't know. 2004 the Hen's have NO RB's that are worth a can of Pepsi. They converted Omar Cuff (freshman) from Defensive Back to RB in the middle of the season (@JMU). Now one of the best Hen's in History. I'm sure most posters don't care but thought I'd throw it out.

We did the opposite, switching Craig Turner to CB a couple of years ago when we had problems in the secondary. Nick Hill started his college career on a basketball scholarship at WKU. This is his second year playing QB.

crunifan
December 2nd, 2007, 11:10 PM
Omar Cuff got 102 yards. Good, but not great or astounding by any means.

Corey Lewis rushed for just over 150 yards.

Delaware played a very good game yesterday. But don't act like you dominated that game. Those are two very evenly matched football teams. Delaware just got the pieces to fall in their favor.

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2007, 11:24 PM

Delaware played a very good game yesterday. But don't act like you dominated that game. Those are two very evenly matched football teams. Delaware just got the pieces to fall in their favor.

How do you think our O's and D's compare, having played us both?

crunifan
December 2nd, 2007, 11:42 PM
How do you think our O's and D's compare, having played us both?

Delaware's offense is better than SIU's offense. Flacco is, in my opinion, a slightly better QB, but Hill isn't too far behind.

SIU's defense is MUCH better than Delaware's defense. SIU completely shut down our running game (as we did to SIU) while UNI was able to run fairly well against Delaware.

Houndawg
December 3rd, 2007, 12:03 AM
Delaware's offense is better than SIU's offense. Flacco is, in my opinion, a slightly better QB, but Hill isn't too far behind.

SIU's defense is MUCH better than Delaware's defense. SIU completely shut down our running game (as we did to SIU) while UNI was able to run fairly well against Delaware.

Was your d line able to get pressure on Flacco without blitzing?

Ud1Hens
December 3rd, 2007, 12:07 AM
Was your d line able to get pressure on Flacco without blitzing?

Yeah they were...Delaware was playing without it's left guard and tackle and that was exposed.

Oldhen
December 3rd, 2007, 05:50 AM

From the very little I've seen and read... I think SIU's defensive speed is going to be as good as we've seen (Richmond, 'Nova, and JMU are all quick and fast).

We struggled running the ball against UNI with two backups on the OL going against a very tough front seven. OC's numbers reflected our OL play more than his play. Still don't know what the story is going to be with the OL... I know we'll start one sub, not sure if it'll be two.

CLew's numbers were way good on the first two drives (where he got the bulk of his yardage for the day). We changed schemes on D and held him in check much better the rest of the way... so much that lots of UNI fans have been pointing to his lack of touches as a big issue. Farley explained why (our change in schemes) but is was hidden by the stats.

UNI got *great* pressure against Flacco from the jump, and really schooled our backup's on the OL. Flacco's get great escapability, but UNI had a much more elaborate blitzing scheme than we'd seen before (I counted like 5-6 CB blitzes). Our OC went to a quicker-developing passing game so Flacco could get rid of the ball eariler, and it seemed to work (the UMass passing scheme seems to try to go downfield/downtown more than ours). JUST FWIW, while I think Coen is a good QB, Flacco throws the ball right past a DB when Coen might have a similar pass picked. Matter of arm strength.

Our D gives up yards to good O's, but usually gets 5-6 big plays from our playmakers that make the diff. We're better on the DL and at LB with #99 playing (missed five games... played about half at UNI) and #11 healthy. We're pretty much there with them... both should be good to go at SIU. Our secondary is young, but very athletic and cover much better now than the first few games... ask UNI about that.

Flacco's Flacco. As long as he's vertical, you have to like our chances against anybody.

Rob Iola
December 3rd, 2007, 06:36 AM
From the very little I've seen and read... I think SIU's defensive speed is going to be as good as we've seen (Richmond, 'Nova, and JMU are all quick and fast).

We struggled running the ball against UNI with two backups on the OL going against a very tough front seven. OC's numbers reflected our OL play more than his play. Still don't know what the story is going to be with the OL... I know we'll start one sub, not sure if it'll be two.

CLew's numbers were way good on the first two drives (where he got the bulk of his yardage for the day). We changed schemes on D and held him in check much better the rest of the way... so much that lots of UNI fans have been pointing to his lack of touches as a big issue. Farley explained why (our change in schemes) but is was hidden by the stats.

UNI got *great* pressure against Flacco from the jump, and really schooled our backup's on the OL. Flacco's get great escapability, but UNI had a much more elaborate blitzing scheme than we'd seen before (I counted like 5-6 CB blitzes). Our OC went to a quicker-developing passing game so Flacco could get rid of the ball eariler, and it seemed to work (the UMass passing scheme seems to try to go downfield/downtown more than ours). JUST FWIW, while I think Coen is a good QB, Flacco throws the ball right past a DB when Coen might have a similar pass picked. Matter of arm strength.

Our D gives up yards to good O's, but usually gets 5-6 big plays from our playmakers that make the diff. We're better on the DL and at LB with #99 playing (missed five games... played about half at UNI) and #11 healthy. We're pretty much there with them... both should be good to go at SIU. Our secondary is young, but very athletic and cover much better now than the first few games... ask UNI about that.

Flacco's Flacco. As long as he's vertical, you have to like our chances against anybody.

Oldhen's spot on - several things I'd add/emphasize is 1) our TEs are a major force, 2) healthy DEs (finally!) are freeing up our LBs to make plays, and 3) our young secondary kept us in the game at UNI long enough for Flacco to work his magic (how does Farley get away from CLew up 10 early, no matter what we change on D???).

But once again, whoever wins the turnover battle will likely win Saturday in Salukiville...

Purple For Life
December 3rd, 2007, 07:17 AM
Salukis:

BEAT THE EVER LOVING SNOT OUT OF THE CHICKENS!

I'm never visiting Delaware. Ever.

MarkCCU
December 3rd, 2007, 07:19 AM
My future father in law went to So. Illinois..

GO HENS!

Ud1Hens
December 3rd, 2007, 07:49 AM
Salukis:

You are welcome in Delaware anytime, on one condition......In your signature box you change the UNI-Dome record to "140-41-1"

89Hen
December 3rd, 2007, 07:51 AM
Can't say I blame you. I wouldn't want to be reminded of the two nightmares either. xcoffeex

Purple For Life
December 3rd, 2007, 07:52 AM
You are welcome in Delaware anytime, on one condition......In your signature box you change the UNI-Dome record to "140-41-1"

In a Cal-Stanford way, I refuse to accept the outcome of Saturday's game because it's clear there was an Eric Sanders impostor on the field.

I'm not going to Delaware. I'm scribbling you out of my world map shower curtain.

cougarpines
December 3rd, 2007, 08:08 AM
In a Cal-Stanford way, I refuse to accept the outcome of Saturday's game because it's clear there was an Eric Sanders impostor on the field.

I'm not going to Delaware. I'm scribbling you out of my world map shower curtain.

Truely good players step up in "big" games.

devilhen
December 3rd, 2007, 08:20 AM
The final four are in place from my original playoff picks. I'm sticking with my theory that 2007 is 2003 in reverse for Delaware - this time we go on the road to beat the same two teams we beat in 03 in reverse order. Instead of playing Wofford, this will culminate in a UD vs. Richmond (the team that beat Woffard) final, where UD will avenge the OT loss.

Delaware's defense is in a healthy state, as compared to the 3 weeks prior to the playoffs. They are clicking & the offense always finds a way to put up points... xpeacex

Blue Hen Nation
December 3rd, 2007, 08:53 AM
Salukis:

Ever hear of losing with grace? xnonox

Jaxhen
December 3rd, 2007, 08:54 AM

You're forgetting a few things here and I'm not going to argue who is the better running back because Lewis is a great back, just like Cuff, but I could have run for 8 to 10 yards each play in the first half through the holes Corey Lewis had to run through (a mack truck could have gotten through those holes). UNI had the best OL that we've seen this year and until we adjusted our defensive scheme UNI just completely dominated our front seven. If you get a chance to watch a replay of this game, do so. Cuff had to work hard for all of his yards and frequently got 3, 4, and 5 yards when he probably should have only gotten one or two yards. He also made critical first downs through sheer will power, balance, and low to the ground leg power (watch his first down screen pass run on the final drive where he had to hurdle one of his own lineman and then make a last second cut to avoid the tackle and get to the sticks). Remember, Cuff was running against UNI's 6th ranked rush defense and he was only the second back all season to rush for more than 100 yards against UNI; whereas, Lewis was running behind one of the best OLs in the FCS and against UD's 60th ranked rush defense. Not many UD fans think UD dominated the game and most that I've heard thought the two teams were very evenly matched.

Purple For Life
December 3rd, 2007, 09:19 AM
Ever hear of losing with grace? xnonox

No sorry, didn't learn that lesson. xrolleyesx

Besides, Southern Illinois is a good team and in my conference. I'm more than happy to cheer them on, regardless of who they play--except if it had been us, of course.

Rob Iola
December 3rd, 2007, 09:19 AM
... it's clear there was an Eric Sanders impostor on the field...

Clay Aiken maybe? At least after the game?

Rob Iola
December 3rd, 2007, 09:21 AM
In all seriousness though, Sanders played a great game - clutch drives at the start of the 2nd half and again when down 32-20. w/o the 2 fumbles it's a different game. Up 10-0 early I can't believe Farley got away from CLew - don't care what changes we made on D we just weren't stopping him.

Purple For Life
December 3rd, 2007, 09:23 AM
It's ridiculous, the whole O line. I was really angry about the whole deal. I don't know where the team was, but it wasn't there, and that's what pisses me off.

Houndawg
December 3rd, 2007, 09:38 AM
In all seriousness though, Sanders played a great game - clutch drives at the start of the 2nd half and again when down 32-20. w/o the 2 fumbles it's a different game. Up 10-0 early I can't believe Farley got away from CLew - don't care what changes we made on D we just weren't stopping him.

I can't believe he didn't go into the smash-mouth mode at UNH either with that O-line.

bluehenbillk
December 3rd, 2007, 10:28 AM
Kirk C., UD's offensive coordinator hit it on the head with a one-liner after the UNI game:

"Any discussion about who the best quarterback in the country is? I mean, come on"

Just like in 2003, you can put people up for awards, we'll gladly take the real hardware.

mcveyrl
December 3rd, 2007, 10:32 AM
Kirk C., UD's offensive coordinator hit it on the head with a one-liner after the UNI game:

"Any discussion about who the best quarterback in the country is? I mean, come on"

Just like in 2003, you can put people up for awards, we'll gladly take the real hardware.

Wow. That's a Mickey Matthews quote there.xlolx xlolx

Rob Iola
December 3rd, 2007, 10:33 AM
It's ridiculous, the whole O line. I was really angry about the whole deal. I don't know where the team was, but it wasn't there, and that's what pisses me off.

UNI played their hearts out - 2 fumbles in UD territory was the difference - nothing to be pissed off about and everything to be proud of...

Rob Iola
December 3rd, 2007, 10:34 AM
Wow. That's a Mickey Matthews quote there.xlolx xlolx

I can imagine a couple post-fumble MM quotes from 2007 that would be memorable. And unprintable.

mcveyrl
December 3rd, 2007, 10:35 AM
I can imagine a couple post-fumble MM quotes from 2007 that would be memorable. And unprintable.

No joke. I watched him trash his headset right after it happened!!

All self-inflicted though...xsmhx xsmhx

WMTribe90
December 3rd, 2007, 11:46 AM
What's the injury report for the UD OL?

UNI OL and DL dominated most of the first quarter and I seriously thought UD was gonna get routed. Credit to UD for not panicking and regrouping. UD's defense gets maligned alot, but they made enough big plays and came up wit enough 3rd down stops to pull out the win Saturday. Turnovers and third down conversions were the difference. The teams were very evenly matched otherwise.

Lewis's numbers were higher than Cuffs, but I would still take Cuff over Lewis, slight edge. Lewis is fast and runs hard, but he had some monster sized holes inthe first quarter, where he did most of his damage. Cuff recevied decetn blocking, but did his usual great job of breaking tackles and falling forward for extra yards, including several crucial third down conversions.

Great year for UNI, should eb very proud of your team and their effort.

I'll take UD over SIU if the OL is healthy.

89Hen
December 3rd, 2007, 11:53 AM
Lewis's numbers were higher than Cuffs, but I would still take Cuff over Lewis, slight edge. Lewis is fast and runs hard, but he had some monster sized holes inthe first quarter, where he did most of his damage. Cuff recevied decetn blocking, but did his usual great job of breaking tackles and falling forward for extra yards, including several crucial third down conversions.
xnodx UNI's line was more impressive, but I'd take Cuff.

FightinBluHen51
December 3rd, 2007, 11:59 AM
Cuff was pretty overrated. UNI kept him in check for the majority of the game. Flacco is definitely as good as he is billed up to be, though.

SIU has faced a better running back in UNI's Corey Lewis and they held him pretty well. They can contain Cuff.
102 yards and a score is in check...ok...

Wow...you people give no credit to the DE defense making plays and CREATING turnovers.

Rob Iola
December 3rd, 2007, 11:59 AM
xnodx UNI's line was more impressive, but I'd take Cuff.

As much as I luv Omar, I'd take CLew for 1 reason and 1 reason only.

He's a junior...

Rob Iola
December 3rd, 2007, 12:03 PM
102 yards and a score is in check...ok...

They held him in check in the 4th quarter, that's for sure... xsmiley_wix

Hoyadestroya85
December 3rd, 2007, 12:07 PM
The Salukis have one of the Rape Transfers from Nova.. Keep your daughters away from Richard White...
Otherwise.. Go Hens!

Black and Gold Express
December 3rd, 2007, 12:12 PM
nick hill and flacco might be the best two QB's in the FCS.

I think you're leaving out a certain stud QB in Boone, whom I think most teams would take over either of those two...

Should be a good game. I don't know much about SIU, but in general it's been shown in recent years that the Gateway teams tend to lack a lot of team speed, and right around this time of year that becomes apparent when they play fast teams, which I believe UD is (on offense at least). And SIU did not impress me in the least back in 2005 when ASU waxed them in the playoffs.

But SIU did put the hammer to UMass, which I did not expect to happen. And this travel situation will be a factor for UD I think, there really is no way to think it's not.

A good friend of mine is a UD alum, so for his sake I'll be rooting for the Hens.

JayJ79
December 3rd, 2007, 12:12 PM

You can't pin the loss solely on Sanders. It might not have been his BEST game, but he wasn't the reason we lost.

FightinBluHen51
December 3rd, 2007, 12:21 PM

Someone got their panties in a bunch....

Seriously...keep disrepecting this team, makes no difference to me...just more fuel to the fire so to speak.

FACT: Putting a hat on the ball and forcing a fumble doesn't equal offensive mistake, means hard hitting and good defensive play.
FACT: Speed rush by the Left Tackle and swatting the ball out of the hand of the QB equals GREAT play and determination (especially when you dribble it to yourself with your feet).

FACT: UNI has a good back who had more yards and more scores than another good back for UD. One game and we're talking how many yards difference of total offense for the two?

From what I took from the UMass SIU game, SIU's as good as UNI, and probably better since they are still playing ball this coming weekend. There's the analysis.

skinny_uncle
December 3rd, 2007, 12:34 PM
I think you're leaving out a certain stud QB in Boone, whom I think most teams would take over either of those two...

Should be a good game. I don't know much about SIU, but in general it's been shown in recent years that the Gateway teams tend to lack a lot of team speed, and right around this time of year that becomes apparent when they play fast teams, which I believe UD is (on offense at least). And SIU did not impress me in the least back in 2005 when ASU waxed them in the playoffs.

But SIU did put the hammer to UMass, which I did not expect to happen. And this travel situation will be a factor for UD I think, there really is no way to think it's not.

A good friend of mine is a UD alum, so for his sake I'll be rooting for the Hens.
SIU is a bit quicker than what you saw in 2005. They have been trying to address the speed problem in their recruiting the last couple of years.

Black and Gold Express
December 3rd, 2007, 12:37 PM
FACT: Speed rush by the Left Tackle and swatting the ball out of the hand of the QB equals GREAT play and determination (especially when you dribble it to yourself with your feet).

Anyone else watching that play think Sanders had flashbacks to Murrell and Hunter in 2005? Looked errily similar.

UNIFanSince1983
December 3rd, 2007, 12:44 PM
Yeah I did notice that myself. Delaware was the better team last Saturday. After watching both Delaware and SIU in person I have to give the edge to Delaware. Their defense is very very underrated, and Flacco is easily the best quarterback in FCS.

I give Delaware all the credit in the game on Saturday, we didn't play our best game but they forced us not to play our best game. They got pressure on Sanders and that was the difference between that game and any other throughout the year. If you give him time to throw he can pick you apart, but if you get to him you can get in his head a little bit.

Either way you look at it should be a great game this weekend, I think Delaware has the slight edge, but I hope to have a Gateway team still playing on December 14th.

pather
December 3rd, 2007, 01:36 PM

didnt say hill was better than flacco...i just said they were arguably the best two...but you cant go wrong with 73% completed 3069 yards 28-5 td/int ratio and nearly 400 rush yards

i know you got more than omar as well, im just saying from the standpoint that SIU uses more RB's than you do. randle, karim, warner, and white. and hill can run as can our backup QB who is occasionally brought in to run a draw.

receivers, we have a host of good ones. 20 guys have caught a pass this year. justin allen, phil goforth, and alan turner are the ones you need to be most weary of. allen leads us with 52 catches, turner with 40, goforth 37 (and red hot down the stretch). ryan kernes is a good target at TE with 24 catches and john randle has 29 out of the backfield. so a bunch of targets, and nick will rarely try to go with one read, he finds the open guy

strengths/weakeness of your D/o-line?

pather
December 3rd, 2007, 01:42 PM

first half no we didnt. we were rock solid save about a 5 minute span

at least 200 of those yards came in the 4th with the 3 deep

pather
December 3rd, 2007, 01:44 PM
first half no we didnt. we were rock solid save about a 5 minute span

at least 200 of those yards came in the 4th with the 3 deep

well this also includes the last couple minutes of the 3rd when they finished off their TD drive. it was really the last 3 drives

Oldhen
December 3rd, 2007, 02:07 PM
didnt say hill was better than flacco...i just said they were arguably the best two...but you cant go wrong with 73% completed 3069 yards 28-5 td/int ratio and nearly 400 rush yards

i know you got more than omar as well, im just saying from the standpoint that SIU uses more RB's than you do. randle, karim, warner, and white. and hill can run as can our backup QB who is occasionally brought in to run a draw.

receivers, we have a host of good ones. 20 guys have caught a pass this year. justin allen, phil goforth, and alan turner are the ones you need to be most weary of. allen leads us with 52 catches, turner with 40, goforth 37 (and red hot down the stretch). ryan kernes is a good target at TE with 24 catches and john randle has 29 out of the backfield. so a bunch of targets, and nick will rarely try to go with one read, he finds the open guy

strengths/weakeness of your D/O-line?

I've been looking at SIU's season and stats, and I actually think the offenses have much in common by way of productivity. The teams do it somewhat differently, but the end product has been about the same. I don't see either team with an apparent runaway edge in talent on O.

Our OL is hurting, and we may start two subs on the left side. They got eaten up against UNI for the first Q or so, but we made some offensive adjustments to hide the problem better. Not sure if our LG or his sub will play this week... this will be something to watch.

D is a cypher. Our defense is playing some of its best ball right now. It took our team and coaches about a quarter to adjust to UNI and their stadium last week, but once we sattled down we played much better against a very productive offense. We're much, much better with #11 and #99 at DE, and both should be close to 100%. Our worst games of the season were when they were both out or limited. Their backups have played a lot against good competition, so they're good in rotation. We play 4-5 DT's in rotation... none are a threat to play on Sundays, but they're fine for this level. Having our DE's both back has kept OL's off our LB's better, they've been making more plays, and the whole D looks better. Very athletic but young secondary. The D has done better forcing the key TO or making the timely TFL more than shutting teams down, and I expect that to continue.

I expect the game to look much like the UD/UNI game, with the home team out of the blocks more quickly and the visiting team settling down as the game goes on. It was pretty clear to me that we'd be passing to set up the run against UNI, and it worked out that way. Would not surprise me a whit to see a similar game plan. I expect high-scoring, close, and probably decided late, with TO's being critical.

skinny_uncle
December 3rd, 2007, 02:15 PM
I've been looking at SIU's season and stats, and I actually think the offenses have much in common by way of productivity. The teams do it somewhat differently, but the end product has been about the same. I don't see either team with an apparent runaway edge in talent on O.

Our OL is hurting, and we may start two subs on the left side. They got eaten up against UNI for the first Q or so, but we made some offensive adjustments to hide the problem better. Not sure if our LG or his sub will play this week... this will be something to watch.

D is a cyper. Our defense is playing some of its best ball right now. It took our team and coaches about a quarter to adjust to UNI and their stadium last week, but once we sattled down we played much better against a very productive offense. We're much, much better with #11 and #99 at DE, and both should be close to 100%. Our worst games of the season were when they were both out or limited. Their backups have played a lot against good competition, so they're good in rotation. We play 4-5 DT's in rotation... none are a threat to play on Sundays, but they're fine for this level. Having our DE's both back has kept OL's off our LB's better, they've been making more plays, and the whole D looks better. Very athletic but young secondary. The D has done better forcing the key TO or making the timely TFL more than shutting teams down, and I expect that to continue.

I expect the game to look much like the UD/UNI game, with the home team out of the blocks more quickly and the visiting team settling down as the game goes on. It was pretty clear to me that we'd be passing to set up the run against UNI, and it worked out that way. Would not surprise me a whit to see a similar game plan. I expect high-scoring, close, and probably decided late, with TO's being critical.
Passing to set up the run might be a risky strategy against a team with 21 INTs this year.

Oldhen
December 3rd, 2007, 02:21 PM
Passing to set up the run might be a risky strategy against a team with 21 INTs this year.

More power to 'em if they can hold onto one of Flacco's passes.

He's thrown five in 435 attempts. I think that's the second lowest percentage in the FCS (J Johnson is first).

skinny_uncle
December 3rd, 2007, 02:26 PM
More power to 'em if they can hold onto one of Flacco's passes.

He's thrown five in 435 attempts. I think that's the second lowest percentage in the FCS (J Johnson is first).

Both QBs in this game have very good numbers. It should be quite a show.

mcveyrl
December 3rd, 2007, 02:30 PM

I haven't seen Hill play, but I've been a big Joe Flacco fan since I watched the JMU-UD game this year.

I was excited when we were getting pressure on him, but it didn't matter. We'd have our hands all over him and he'd make a great pass. I think that he's the biggest asset on UD's team this year, even more so than Cuff. If the OL has a bad day or faces a good front four (like JMU's) Cuff has an okay day (which for him, BTW, is around 100 yds. and a couple of TDs). But Flacco can overcome that to still have a really good, if not great, day.

Oldhen
December 3rd, 2007, 02:34 PM

Absolutely. Should be a barn-burner, and I hope the weather is OK.

skinny_uncle
December 3rd, 2007, 02:36 PM
I haven't seen Hill play, but I've been a big Joe Flacco fan since I watched the JMU-UD game this year.

I was excited when we were getting pressure on him, but it didn't matter. We'd have our hands all over him and he'd make a great pass. I think that he's the biggest asset on UD's team this year, even more so than Cuff. If the OL has a bad day or faces a good front four (like JMU's) Cuff has an okay day (which for him, BTW, is around 100 yds. and a couple of TDs). But Flacco can overcome that to still have a really good, if not great, day.
I'd recommend watching ESPN Saturday. Hill can make plays with his arm (28 TD passes this year) or his legs (over 300 yards rushing). If you haven't seen him, you should.

mcveyrl
December 3rd, 2007, 02:37 PM
I'd recommend watching ESPN Saturday. Hill can make plays with his arm (28 TD passes this year) or his legs (over 300 yards rushing). If you haven't seen him, you should.

I'll definitely be watching!!

Oldhen
December 3rd, 2007, 02:44 PM

I was excited when we were getting pressure on him, but it didn't matter. We'd have our hands all over him and he'd make a great pass.

I've told folks it was really almost unfair to have him play at the FCS level. That's really not a criticism of the other FCS QB's. I'm a big Santos fan, I think he's a great QB. I've seen a handful of other FCS QB's this year that I thought very highly of, and would have been happy to have them at UD if we didn't have Flacco. I'm sure I'll be impressed with Hill, just like I was with Sanders at UNI, and am with Edwards at AppSt. Never seen Johnson, but I'm sure he's great.

That said, Flacco reminds me of Randy Moss at Marshall. He's frequently like a man playing among boys. When he's on his game (which is most of the time), he's really something to watch.

Folks think I'm exaggerating until they see him play. Then they walk away shaking their heads.

Rob Iola
December 3rd, 2007, 03:33 PM
I've told folks it was really almost unfair to have him play at the FCS level. That's really not a criticism of the other FCS QB's. I'm a big Santos fan, I think he's a great QB. I've seen a handful of other FCS QB's this year that I thought very highly of, and would have been happy to have them at UD if we didn't have Flacco. I'm sure I'll be impressed with Hill, just like I was with Sanders at UNI, and am with Edwards at AppSt. Never seen Johnson, but I'm sure he's great.

That said, Flacco reminds me of Randy Moss at Marshall. He's frequently like a man playing among boys. When he's on his game (which is most of the time), he's really something to watch.

Folks think I'm exaggerating until they see him play. Then they walk away shaking their heads.

Flacco = Moss: xthumbsupx
He really does look like Peyton Manning running the Indy spread offense - size, smarts, and arm strength. He can throw any pass necessary, and if anything is limited by the abilities of his receivers. It's not enough to pressure him or even hit him, if you haven't grabbed his throwing arm he's still likely to throw a 10yd+ pass for a 1st down - which is exactly what happened to UNI (and JMU, and Navy, and ...) last weekend. 13 of 20 3rd down conversions in the face of a ferocious rush (often w/just 4 rushing and 7 in coverage) doesn't lie...

Houndawg
December 3rd, 2007, 03:59 PM

D is a cyper. Our defense is playing some of its best ball right now. It took our team and coaches about a quarter to adjust to UNI and their stadium last week, but once we sattled down we played much better against a very productive offense. We're much, much better with #11 and #99 at DE, and both should be close to 100%. Our worst games of the season were when they were both out or limited. Their backups have played a lot against good competition, so they're good in rotation. We play 4-5 DT's in rotation... none are a threat to play on Sundays, but they're fine for this level. Having our DE's both back has kept OL's off our LB's better, they've been making more plays, and the whole D looks better. Very athletic but young secondary. The D has done better forcing the key TO or making the timely TFL more than shutting teams down, and I expect that to continue.

Very good call on the TOs they will do a LOT to keep whoever is behind in the game. One of the frustrating things about the UMass game was that after going up 34-13 in the 3rd quarter and deciding to sit in prevent, we couldn't run out the damn clock because of all the media TOs.

I saw Flaccos arm against DSU and it is indeed a CANNON. UDs OL and SIUs DL will be the game. If there is any hope for SIU it is that UNI was getting a pass rush with their four down. SIU has a faster DL with a better pass rush, Coen was running for his life most of the game in spite of his whine about UMass beating themselves.

UNI held UDs offense under 30, if SIU can do the same without turnovers I like their chances, because I think they can get 30 against UDs defense. Hey, SOMEBODY has to pick SIU in this game, might as well be my homer self.

GannonFan
December 3rd, 2007, 04:01 PM
Very good call on the TOs they will do a LOT to keep whoever is behind in the game. One of the frustrating things about the UMass game was that after going up 34-13 in the 3rd quarter and deciding to sit in prevent, we couldn't run out the damn clock because of all the media TOs.

I saw Flaccos arm against DSU and it is indeed a CANNON. UDs OL and SIUs DL will be the game. If there is any hope for SIU it is that UNI was getting a pass rush with their four down. SIU has a faster DL with a better pass rush, Coen was running for his life most of the game in spite of his whine about UMass beating themselves.

UNI held UDs offense under 30, if SIU can do the same without turnovers I like their chances, because I think they can get 30 against UDs defense. Hey, SOMEBODY has to pick SIU in this game, might as well be my homer self.

I don't understand this griping about the media timeouts - why would they have such a great effect on the game? It's not like they are done during a possession. Media timeouts come on changes of possession. What's the big deal?

89Hen
December 3rd, 2007, 04:04 PM
I don't understand this griping about the media timeouts - why would they have such a great effect on the game? It's not like they are done during a possession. Media timeouts come on changes of possession. What's the big deal?
That's the second time it's been mentioned. I don't get it either. xconfusedx

BlueHenBoy
December 3rd, 2007, 04:25 PM

Isn't that every teams strategy?

BlueHenBoy
December 3rd, 2007, 04:27 PM
Cuff was pretty overrated. UNI kept him in check for the majority of the game.

You can't judge a running back on one game. Half his offensive line was missing.

Oldhen
December 3rd, 2007, 04:28 PM

I was actuslly referring to Turn Overs... but...

BlueHenBoy
December 3rd, 2007, 04:40 PM
I'd have to say that on defense our strength's are certainly at the DE with Marcorelle and Talley (when healty) and at MLB with Johnson, especially if he plays like he did last week.
The glaring weekness' with the D is that it's easy to run the ball up the gut, so if SIU get a lead, I'd expect the to hold on to it. And the DB's seem to lack speed, when another team goes for the deep ball, the back consistantly get beat, it's just the other teams QB can't complete the pass, the speed issue causes the DB's to play off the WR's, as seen in the UNI game.

Houndawg
December 3rd, 2007, 04:43 PM
I was actuslly referring to Turn Overs... but...

My point is that it gives defense's legs a rest. Say you're up in the second half by a couple of scores and want wear down the defense with some ball control. You drive 50 yards on 12 plays and have to give up the ball. If you can 3 and out the offense you can get back after the defense before they get much rest. Unfortunately it doesn't help much because the defense got an extra 5-7 minutes or more of rest (and adjustment) on the media time out before the offense comes back to go three and out.

SteinPizza
December 3rd, 2007, 04:45 PM
I posted on the UNI board that Flacco reminds me a bit of another FCS alumni...Tony Romo. He's not overly athletic, but just quick enough to avoid a rush and has great downfield vision under pressure. One word for SIU's D-Line this weekend...WRAP. UNI had 4 or 5 sacks, but it easily could've been 12 had we been able to finish some of the pressure we brought. Flacco's a strong kid too, so that didn't help.

I'll be real interested to see SIUs defensive scheme this weekend. UNI appeared to be playing a lot of cover 3 and 4, and your O's ability to find recievers in dead spots hurt us

Houndawg
December 3rd, 2007, 06:23 PM
I posted on the UNI board that Flacco reminds me a bit of another FCS alumni...Tony Romo. He's not overly athletic, but just quick enough to avoid a rush and has great downfield vision under pressure. One word for SIU's D-Line this weekend...WRAP. UNI had 4 or 5 sacks, but it easily could've been 12 had we been able to finish some of the pressure we brought. Flacco's a strong kid too, so that didn't help.

I'll be real interested to see SIUs defensive scheme this weekend. UNI appeared to be playing a lot of cover 3 and 4, and your O's ability to find recievers in dead spots hurt us

Flacco has the strongest arm I've seen in a while. I think the last arm I saw that strong was John Elway at Stanford. SIU must make him throw before he wants to.

YoUDeeMan
December 3rd, 2007, 07:31 PM

I dont' think your "speed" held UMass to 101 net yards rushing. xeyebrowx

I think it was a quick, big lead that changed UMass' game plan. xnodx

Houndawg
December 3rd, 2007, 07:41 PM
I dont' think your "speed" held UMass to 101 net yards rushing. xeyebrowx

I think it was a quick, big lead that changed UMass' game plan. xnodx

I can agree with that, and already have in a different thread, and when I say "speed" I'm talking about front sevens, everybody is fast at the skill positions. Our TEs were faster than their LBs. Our D line was much faster than their O line, and I don't remember any big gainers by their RBs.

Polloloco
December 3rd, 2007, 08:03 PM
Watched the Fordham-UMASS game. Believe Coen had 2 interceptions-know he had at least 1. While being mechanically sound Coen is not in same league as Flacco when it comes to arm strength, his is average. The SIU dbacks will not get the same break on the ball against Flacco that they got on Coen. Nor will they get the same poor decisionmaking, Flacco makes excellent decisions. SIU will have to WIN this game don't think our upperclassmen especially on offense we'll lose it

crunifan
December 3rd, 2007, 08:05 PM
You can't judge a running back on one game. Half his offensive line was missing.

I realize that. And Cuff is a great player.

But prior to the game, all UNI fans heard was how utterly amazing Flacco and Cuff were. We heard that Cuff was basically going to run circles around us and that he would be unlike any running back we had ever seen.

Well, Flacco certainly lived up to his billing. He is an amazing QB. But Cuff was a major disappointment to me. He is not the reason Delaware is so good. He helps, but it is Flacco that is pulling that team. That is why I say he is over rated.

Rob Iola
December 3rd, 2007, 08:11 PM

But prior to the game, all UNI fans heard was how utterly amazing Flacco and Cuff were. We heard that Cuff was basically going to run circles around us and that he would be unlike any running back we had ever seen.

Well, Flacco certainly lived up to his billing. He is an amazing QB. But Cuff was a major disappointment to me. He is not the reason Delaware is so good. He helps, but it is Flacco that is pulling that team. That is why I say he is over rated.

CLew won the stats war over Cuff, but UNI couldn't stop Cuff in the 4th when they had to...

Houndawg
December 3rd, 2007, 08:30 PM
Watched the Fordham-UMASS game. Believe Coen had 2 interceptions-know he had at least 1. While being mechanically sound Coen is not in same league as Flacco when it comes to arm strength, his is average. The SIU dbacks will not get the same break on the ball against Flacco that they got on Coen. Nor will they get the same poor decisionmaking, Flacco makes excellent decisions. SIU will have to WIN this game don't think our upperclassmen especially on offense we'll lose it

Only one pick was by a db. If Coens decision making was poor it was because he was under pressure. Two of his int were because he was hit as he threw. He burned us a couple of times when we didn't get good pressure, but any QB will do that. I don't think he is in the same league right now as Flacco, Sanders, or Hill.

I don't see SIU trying to change what they've done all year, I think they go after Flacco hard. If UNI can pressure him, I know we can. I think the worst thing to do would be to lay back with 6 dbs and cover. If he can beat our pressure and light us up we'll just have to tip our hats and wait until next year.

SunCoastBlueHen
December 3rd, 2007, 08:33 PM
But Cuff was a major disappointment to me. He is not the reason Delaware is so good. He helps, but it is Flacco that is pulling that team. That is why I say he is over rated.

I watched the game again today, and I disagree with that statement. Delaware's O-line had their hands full with the UNI d-line all game long. Cuff did not usually have a lot of running room, but made some very tough 5 and 6 yard runs where a lesser back would have been stopped well short of that. Cuff is elusive enough that he most always is falling forward when he is tackled. Cuff also made several huge plays as a receiver. Omar made at least a handful of pivotal first downs strictly on individual effort both rushing and catching the ball. If the Hens don't get the first downs, they likely lose the game.

Rob Iola
December 3rd, 2007, 08:38 PM
...I don't see SIU trying to change what they've done all year, I think they go after Flacco hard. If UNI can pressure him, I know we can. I think the worst thing to do would be to lay back with 6 dbs and cover. If he can beat our pressure and light us up we'll just have to tip our hats and wait until next year.

UNI also seemed to rattle Flacco early with crowd noise, so just have your fans get after him and you'll - oh wait, never mind...xcoffeex xreadx xshhhx xnottalkingx

skinny_uncle
December 3rd, 2007, 09:08 PM
UNI also seemed to rattle Flacco early with crowd noise, so just have your fans get after him and you'll - oh wait, never mind...xcoffeex xreadx xshhhx xnottalkingx

I'm sure we will just be extremely quiet because we are in such awe of Flacco and Cuff.
xwhistlex

Rob Iola
December 3rd, 2007, 09:22 PM
I'm sure we will just be extremely quiet.

Fixed it for you...

skinny_uncle
December 3rd, 2007, 09:27 PM
Fixed it for you...

It wasn't broke.

YoUDeeMan
December 3rd, 2007, 10:17 PM

I think your coach, who might know a little about football, saw Cuff's abilities a bit differently. xnodx

"They got it by the length of the chain a couple times because of the ability of the back to make us miss," said Panthers coach Mark Farley, whose team saw a 13-game win streak dating to last season snapped.

http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071202/SPORTS020702/712020354/1095/SPORTS0207

Purple For Life
December 3rd, 2007, 10:30 PM
You know what?

I have every right to feel how I feel. I'm angry and bitter and I want revenge. I will be there the day we beat Delaware and send them back cryin' to their mamas. Hopefully it's in 2008.

Our team played mediocre at best. I'm angry at some of the play calling. The only part that stepped up was Special Teams. This team did not come ready to play and it pisses me off.

"We just weren't executing for four quarters like we know we can," Sanders said.

Yeah, I'd say so.

"It's hard," an emotional Farley said after reflecting on his team's fan support. "You feel like you let them down."

Yes. I expected better from this team because they had performed better the rest of the season. I am let down. I'm pissed off. I don't care what you think of that.

Purple For Life
December 3rd, 2007, 10:43 PM
PS--Yes, I am one to hold a grudge. I snickered with laughter every time Gary said that my former boss was his in-studio producer. If he hadn't been such an ass, I wouldn't have quit. He's got what's coming to him. At least I ended up at a job where *gasp* I actually am appreciated and thanked for my work, something that never happened in a year and a half under the ass-boss.

...yeah, I'm kind of a bitch sometimes. :p

YoUDeeMan
December 3rd, 2007, 10:45 PM
You know what?

I have every right to feel how I feel. I'm angry and bitter and I want revenge. I will be there the day we beat Delaware and send them back cryin' to their mamas. Hopefully it's in 2008.

Our team played mediocre at best. I'm angry at some of the play calling. The only part that stepped up was Special Teams. This team did not come ready to play and it pisses me off.

Yeah, I'd say so.

Yes. I expected better from this team because they had performed better the rest of the season. I am let down. I'm pissed off. I don't care what you think of that.

xeyebrowx xrotatehx

While you are venting, there is nothing to gain by selectively limiting your disappointment: your special teams let our KO return guy break a looooong one that set up the clinching TD. xnodx

Ud1Hens
December 3rd, 2007, 10:46 PM
Our team played mediocre at best.

Just a thought, maybe Delaware caused UNI to play "mediocre at best." Maybe the same passes that were being picked off in the 12 other games were completed because Delaware had the better team. Or maybe Sanders "didn't play like Sanders" because he was forced into uncharacteristic mistakes. You obviously have high expectations when your team is #1 and 12-0 but when they lose it doesn't automatically mean that they lost the game and Delaware didn't take it from them.

crunifan
December 3rd, 2007, 11:09 PM
CLew won the stats war over Cuff, but UNI couldn't stop Cuff in the 4th when they had to...

We couldn't stop Flacco in the 4th when we needed to. There were two fourths and long, in fact I believe I remember a 4th and 12 or a 4th and 17 where if UNI would have stopped them we could have gotten the ball back to go for the lead with about 4-5 minutes left. But, Flacco made the pass and what is done is done.

Flacco is who we couldn't stop.

Purple For Life
December 3rd, 2007, 11:12 PM
xeyebrowx xrotatehx

While you are venting, there is nothing to gain by selectively limiting your disappointment: your special teams let our KO return guy break a looooong one that set up the clinching TD. xnodx

I didn't see their special teams blocking any extra points.

Ud1Hens
December 3rd, 2007, 11:25 PM
We couldn't stop Flacco in the 4th when we needed to. There were two fourths and long, in fact I believe I remember a 4th and 12 or a 4th and 17 where if UNI would have stopped them we could have gotten the ball back to go for the lead with about 4-5 minutes left. But, Flacco made the pass and what is done is done.

Flacco is who we couldn't stop.

I think they were 3rd and longs if I remember correctly.

GannonFan
December 3rd, 2007, 11:31 PM

Then you just were missing what he was doing. You know, Cuff did get 168 yards from scrimmage. Not too many backs have a game like that and are called a "major disappointment". And it's not all highlight film stuff that makes him good - it's the little things. Notice how every time he went down he still bounced forward and got an extra yard or two.

And 3 big plays in that 4th quarter came because of things Cuff did. 3rd and 3 from UNI's 24 and Cuff gets the handoff with the play running right into UNI's blitz - Cuff breaks a tackle behind the line of scrimmage, makes another d-lineman miss, and scampers for 5 yards and the first down. UD scores a TD later on Cuff's 15 yard scamper to go up 29-20 thanks to that little 5 yard run that should've been a 3 yard loss.

Play 2 where UD has a 4th and 1 from UNI's 20 yard line - the play was Cuff off tackle and he has no blocking, he makes a little juke to the inside, gets on the outside shoulder of the UNI defender, and on the hit he falls forward for the 1st down, leading to a UD FG. Should've been stopped for no gain but he makes the play and UD scores again to go up 32-20.

Last drive, UD facing a 3rd and 11 from their own 44 yard line, nursing a 5 point lead, faced with punting it back to UNI and Sanders with plenty of time on the clock, Cuff gets the screen pass, makes one guy miss at the point of the catch, has to hurdle his own player, and then has two UNI guys and 4 yards between him and the 4th down, and he jukes the first guy and again glances off the tackle of the second guy to get the first down and keep the game winning drive alive.

And hey, Cuff was only the 2nd guy all year to run for more than 100 yards against a pretty good run defense for UNI. And that's with almost half the starting o-line being out of the game. I guess it was an okay game for him.

SteinPizza
December 3rd, 2007, 11:42 PM
Flacco has the strongest arm I've seen in a while. I think the last arm I saw that strong was John Elway at Stanford. SIU must make him throw before he wants to.

That might be stretching it a bit. He's got a big arm, no doubt, but to compare him to John Elway is a reach. The kid's a great player, but to say he's unbeatable is swallowing too much UD marketing fluff. Like I said earlier, follow through and "close" on your sack opportunities and you'll be in good shape.

crunifan
December 4th, 2007, 12:03 AM
I think they were 3rd and longs if I remember correctly.

xlolx

You'd be right. I wish they were 4th and longs! xnodx

crunifan
December 4th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Then you just were missing what he was doing. You know, Cuff did get 168 yards from scrimmage. Not too many backs have a game like that and are called a "major disappointment". And it's not all highlight film stuff that makes him good - it's the little things. Notice how every time he went down he still bounced forward and got an extra yard or two.

And 3 big plays in that 4th quarter came because of things Cuff did. 3rd and 3 from UNI's 24 and Cuff gets the handoff with the play running right into UNI's blitz - Cuff breaks a tackle behind the line of scrimmage, makes another d-lineman miss, and scampers for 5 yards and the first down. UD scores a TD later on Cuff's 15 yard scamper to go up 29-20 thanks to that little 5 yard run that should've been a 3 yard loss.

Play 2 where UD has a 4th and 1 from UNI's 20 yard line - the play was Cuff off tackle and he has no blocking, he makes a little juke to the inside, gets on the outside shoulder of the UNI defender, and on the hit he falls forward for the 1st down, leading to a UD FG. Should've been stopped for no gain but he makes the play and UD scores again to go up 32-20.

Last drive, UD facing a 3rd and 11 from their own 44 yard line, nursing a 5 point lead, faced with punting it back to UNI and Sanders with plenty of time on the clock, Cuff gets the screen pass, makes one guy miss at the point of the catch, has to hurdle his own player, and then has two UNI guys and 4 yards between him and the 4th down, and he jukes the first guy and again glances off the tackle of the second guy to get the first down and keep the game winning drive alive.

And hey, Cuff was only the 2nd guy all year to run for more than 100 yards against a pretty good run defense for UNI. And that's with almost half the starting o-line being out of the game. I guess it was an okay game for him.

Look, I realize you guys really like Cuff. And I'm happy for you guys, honestly.

I do think he is a talented player, but no one is going to convince me that he was the amazing, most talented running back in all of FCS he preached to be before this game. So, I am going to stop debating it. It's not worth offending Delaware fans and wasting my time.

UNI Pike
December 4th, 2007, 12:49 AM
What's the injury report for the UD OL?

UNI OL and DL dominated most of the first quarter and I seriously thought UD was gonna get routed. Credit to UD for not panicking and regrouping. UD's defense gets maligned alot, but they made enough big plays and came up wit enough 3rd down stops to pull out the win Saturday. Turnovers and third down conversions were the difference. The teams were very evenly matched otherwise.

I was at the game on Saturday, and saw the DE O-line. The left side of the line was exposed. They basically had the TE on that side (3 on 2) for most of the game. That side of the line was consistently collapsing, pushing Flacco to his right.

BTW, I would like to see a chart, but I think 75% of his passes were to the right side of the field.

#67 the right guard was hobbling around the field most of the second half with a groin injury. However, it looked that he was blocking better than the left side RS Frosh. The guy could barely get up off the carpet after each play. Kudos to #67. If he doesn't play, does DE have any other O-line reserves left?

Just one man's opinion, but I was sitting with an ex-big 10 linebacker that was essentially saying the same thing.

UNI Pike
December 4th, 2007, 01:00 AM
Just a thought, maybe Delaware caused UNI to play "mediocre at best." Maybe the same passes that were being picked off in the 12 other games were completed because Delaware had the better team. Or maybe Sanders "didn't play like Sanders" because he was forced into uncharacteristic mistakes. You obviously have high expectations when your team is #1 and 12-0 but when they lose it doesn't automatically mean that they lost the game and Delaware didn't take it from them.

I think DE's defense has something to do with it. However, early on, even with no pressure Sanders was throwing high. Even when some of the passes were being caught, they were being caught one handed by a 6' 7" TE. He was not throwing (mechanically) like I had seen previously.

He did have an slightly separated shoulder earlier in the season, but I doubt we will ever know if that was tweaked again, because he would likely never say.

AAadict
December 4th, 2007, 01:40 AM
Only stat that matters in the FCS at this point in the season...

Delaware 39 - N. Iowa 27

Just get to the FCS Championship game. Been there in 2003 and it is a blast (except Colgate never showed and made the game worse than when we play Div. II West Chester).

Houndawg
December 4th, 2007, 07:40 AM
That might be stretching it a bit. He's got a big arm, no doubt, but to compare him to John Elway is a reach. The kid's a great player, but to say he's unbeatable is swallowing too much UD marketing fluff. Like I said earlier, follow through and "close" on your sack opportunities and you'll be in good shape.

I'm not comparing him to Elway other than arm strength. I saw Elway play at Stanford and Flacco has that kind of arm strength based on what I saw at the DSU game.

Houndawg
December 4th, 2007, 07:43 AM

Good luck with that. I tried to suggest something similar about the SIU/UMass game, but was repeatedly assured that it was simply a matter of UMass being underachievers.

Purple For Life
December 4th, 2007, 08:32 AM
xeyebrowx xrotatehx

Shut up.

Blue Hen Nation
December 4th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Shut up.

What are you like 16 years old? Why don't head outside with your friends and make snow angels.

skinny_uncle
December 4th, 2007, 08:39 AM
What are you like 16 years old? Why don't head outside with your friends and make snow angels.

If you want to trade smack with the UNI boys, why don't you guys start a separate thread? This one is supposed to be about the SIU-UD game.

caribbeanhen
December 4th, 2007, 09:19 AM
If you want to trade smack with the UNI boys, why don't you guys start a separate thread? This one is supposed to be about the SIU-UD game.

with the lack of SIU fans on the thread, anybody is welcome

look at the amount of traffic on the Ric vs App St thread

caribbeanhen
December 4th, 2007, 09:22 AM
I'm sure we will just be extremely quiet because we are in such awe of Flacco and Cuff.
xwhistlex

appears your crowd (can you really call that gathering a crowd) was quite long before the knew of the 2HM - 2HM = TWO HEADED MONSTER

cougarpines
December 4th, 2007, 09:32 AM
with the lack of SIU fans on the thread, anybody is welcome

look at the amount of traffic on the Ric vs App St thread

Can't get a rise out of them anywhere. Given their attendance, myabe there aren't that many. Tried on their board but they wanted a group hug.

YoUDeeMan
December 4th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Shut up.

Q: Which one of your responses to my post demonstrates your ability to think clearly? xeyebrowx xeekx

A: Neither. xrotatehx xlolx xlolx

Thanks for playing. xnodx

xwhistlex

FightinBluHen51
December 4th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Look, I realize you guys really like Cuff. And I'm happy for you guys, honestly.

I do think he is a talented player, but no one is going to convince me that he was the amazing, most talented running back in all of FCS he preached to be before this game. So, I am going to stop debating it. It's not worth offending Delaware fans and wasting my time.
Then you're delusional. Certainly more Payton worthy than Sanders.

FightinBluHen51
December 4th, 2007, 11:11 AM
I didn't see their special teams blocking any extra points.
You are by and far the worst "girl" I've ever seen. Put on the big boy pants when it comes to sports...and learn to loose graciously. PA-THET-IC.

UNIFanSince1983
December 4th, 2007, 11:18 AM
UNI fans can we please act with some class here. Stop talking crap to a team that beat us. They went out there and caused us to play bad. They beat us. Am I happy about it? Of course not, but that doesn't mean I am going to hijack a thread and talk about how mad I am. Our team lost just wish luck. If you hope Delaware doesn't win it all cheer for SIU because we are no longer playing while both of these teams are.

89Hen
December 4th, 2007, 11:22 AM
UNI fans can we please act with some class here. Stop talking crap to a team that beat us. They went out there and caused us to play bad. They beat us. Am I happy about it? Of course not, but that doesn't mean I am going to hijack a thread and talk about how mad I am. Our team lost just wish luck. If you hope Delaware doesn't win it all cheer for SIU because we are no longer playing while both of these teams are.
Don't sweat it. The bad UNI apples are few and far between. We have ours too. xpeacex

ChickenMan
December 4th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Don't sweat it. The bad UNI apples are few and far between. We have ours too. xpeacex

Doesn't everybody... ;)

89Hen
December 4th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Doesn't everybody... ;)
I've never met a Southern Utah fan I didn't like. xsmiley_wix

skinny_uncle
December 4th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Can't get a rise out of them anywhere. Given their attendance, myabe there aren't that many. Tried on their board but they wanted a group hug.

They wanted to talk football and all you wanted to do was talk smack. They are fairly tolerant of trolls but you are pushing your luck.

cougarpines
December 4th, 2007, 12:45 PM
They wanted to talk football and all you wanted to do was talk smack. They are fairly tolerant of trolls but you are pushing your luck.

If you read it, and I thought I made it clear, that particular thread was dedicted to smack by your group. If you don't want to talk smack then don't designate the thread. By the way, the first volly was from your guns.

skinny_uncle
December 4th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Just wait until the Hens meet our secret weapon.

http://www.tactileint.com/seasia/saigon/colonel.jpeg

89Hen
December 4th, 2007, 01:42 PM

xlolx xbowx FINALLY!!!! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Rob Iola
December 4th, 2007, 01:49 PM

C'mon Skinny - this is a good start but I think you can do better (like maybe how "Saluki" is Greek for "menarche"). And yes, this should all be over on smack (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34067&page=4)...xthumbsupx

Ivytalk
December 4th, 2007, 02:50 PM
C'mon Skinny - this is a good start but I think you can do better (like maybe how "Saluki" is Greek for "menarche"). And yes, this should all be over on smack (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34067&page=4)...xthumbsupx

Given too many reps in past 24 hours...

xlolx xlolx xlolx

"Heh-heh-heh! He said 'menarche!'":p

Purple For Life
December 4th, 2007, 05:15 PM
You are by and far the worst "girl" I've ever seen. Put on the big boy pants when it comes to sports...and learn to loose graciously. PA-THET-IC.

xeyebrowx Are you questioning my gender/sex? Interesting.

And news flash: IT'S LOSE, NOT LOOSE!

FightinBluHen51
December 4th, 2007, 05:18 PM

And news flash: IT'S LOSE, NOT LOOSE
No...I know you're a chicky hence the "" around girl, but at least grow a pair to be in here...

Grammar Nazi now too...cool...so I had a typo...Bravo Delta Foxtrot. Oh, I forgot, since you are a chicky, you've never made a mistake.

uni88
December 4th, 2007, 06:28 PM

I'm a rookie that has been reading AGS for a while and I completely agree with this statement. I've always believed that you should try to win with class and lose with dignity (but unfortunately haven't always been able to deliver on the dignity part). I appreciate the Delaware fans that are doing the former (i.e. complimenting UNI on a good game and not talking trash about how poorly Gateway teams would do in the CAA) and I intend to try and do the later. Let's leave this thread for Southern Illinois vs. Delaware discussion.

Now I'm off to the smack board to lend a hand to my Gateway brethren. Go Salukis!

Houndawg
December 4th, 2007, 08:13 PM
I'm a rookie that has been reading AGS for a while and I completely agree with this statement. I've always believed that you should try to win with class and lose with dignity (but unfortunately haven't always been able to deliver on the dignity part). I appreciate the Delaware fans that are doing the former (i.e. complimenting UNI on a good game and not talking trash about how poorly Gateway teams would do in the CAA) and I intend to try and do the later. Let's leave this thread for Southern Illinois vs. Delaware discussion.

Now I'm off to the smack board to lend a hand to my Gateway brethren. Go Salukis!

We could use the help, if UD plays like they smack, we're in big trouble.

Although not as much trouble as Flacco will be in if they don't do something real quick about the left side of their O line.

Eaglegus2
December 4th, 2007, 08:30 PM
To all my friends from Delaware..........HensRock, 89Hen, etc.

Best of luck on Saturday. I will be pulling for you guys.

Giv'em Hell!!!!!!!!

YoUDeeMan
December 4th, 2007, 09:13 PM

Perhaps in this case, he was correct; as in a few screws...

xwhistlex

YoUDeeMan
December 4th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Hey, we have a football game coming up with the Salukis!

I respected the way Kill handled his team and the post game interviews.

The man has class! xnodx

And you folks have some good local newspaper coverage. I've had that newspaper bookmarked ever since 2003 and have followed your team and rooted for them.

Can't root for the Sulukis this weekend, xsmiley_wix but I hope both teams and their fans handle themselves well! xthumbsupx

eddyg
December 4th, 2007, 09:18 PM

you would know :P

skinny_uncle
December 4th, 2007, 09:25 PM
We could use the help, if UD plays like they smack, we're in big trouble.

Although not as much trouble as Flacco will be in if they don't do something real quick about the left side of their O line.

You are saying James Cloud might do some smacking?
xeyebrowx

Saluki_man
December 4th, 2007, 09:47 PM
The weather forcast right now for the game is rain. I have a feeling this will negate both QBs. This game is going to be who can hold onto the ball and who can control the line of scrimage.

skinny_uncle
December 4th, 2007, 09:52 PM
The weather forcast right now for the game is rain. I have a feeling this will negate both QBs. This game is going to be who can hold onto the ball and who can control the line of scrimage.

30% chance. The forecast will probably change a couple of times before Saturday.

Saluki_man
December 4th, 2007, 09:54 PM
30% chance. The forecast will probably change a couple of times before Saturday.

With all the weather hitting the west coast, I would be surprised if it didn't rain.

Houndawg
December 4th, 2007, 10:08 PM
You are saying James Cloud might do some smacking?
xeyebrowx

I'm saying that if UNI's D line could put pressure on Flacco we can too. As I recall they were good run-stoppers, but Hill had lots of time to throw. This is the time when the advantage has a lot to do with who is healthier.

Houndawg
December 4th, 2007, 10:09 PM
With all the weather hitting the west coast, I would be surprised if it didn't rain.

No telling more than 24 hrs. in advance, we're always right on the edge of weather patterns.

Hoyadestroya85
December 4th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Oh how i miss carbondale..

Saluki_man
December 4th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Oh how i miss carbondale..

I missed it so much, I had to go back for a weekend.:D

Houndawg
December 4th, 2007, 10:27 PM

I think our D line will dominate the same way they dominated UMass, the question is can we stop their DEs, both of whom had good games against UNIs big O line.

pather
December 4th, 2007, 11:31 PM

we took the brunt of it. ive lived in washington for 10+ years of my life and this is the first time ive heard of schools being closed due to flooded roads

skinny_uncle
December 5th, 2007, 08:19 AM

OK
It's 40% now.
Just in case, Delaware fans should be informed umbrellas are not allowed in McAndrew Stadium.

Rob Iola
December 5th, 2007, 08:26 AM
OK
It's 40% now.
Just in case, Delaware fans should be informed umbrellas are not allowed in McAndrew Stadium.

Why - because there's no one there to hold them?

MR. CHICKEN
December 5th, 2007, 10:19 AM
OK
It's 40% now.

SAME POLICY IN DELAWARE STADIUM........WIND CAN CATCH DEM......PLUS.....DEY CAN DOUBLE AS UH WEAPON......xwhistlex..ENGARDE YA'LL!

FightinBluHen51
December 5th, 2007, 10:19 AM
No umbrllas allowed in Delaware Stadium either....

Besides...apparently Rihanna ain't gonna be there for the half time show...darn xrolleyesx

LacesOut
December 5th, 2007, 11:46 AM
UD was quite impressive last week, really surprised me that they won. Sorry, but I know nuttin' about SIU.

I warned UNI to not turn the ball over or they would definitely lose!

SIU, now consider yourself warned!! haha

Good luck to both teams.

Go...gate
December 5th, 2007, 12:35 PM
I think the Hens will win a close one.

Purple For Life
December 5th, 2007, 01:13 PM
http://shaker.muasher.googlepages.com/dog-chicken.jpg/dog-chicken-full.jpg

The Salukis yawn in the face of the chickens.

crunifan
December 5th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Kind of an odd question, but why are umbrellas not allowed in the stadium?

And would play continue if there was weather similar to what UNI had last weekend? That would not have been fun to sit through.

ChickenMan
December 5th, 2007, 01:34 PM
The Salukis yawn in the face of the chickens.

http://www.faridaat-salukis.com/images/simon/simon_stretch.jpg

yea.. that sure is one scary looking dog... :D xlolx :p

Hoyadestroya85
December 5th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Salukis are actually faster than greyhounds..
I mean a blue female chicken isn't very scary either...

Houndawg
December 5th, 2007, 01:43 PM

The only blue chicken is a choked chicken.

ChickenMan
December 5th, 2007, 01:49 PM
The only blue chicken is a choked chicken.

I think we all know who got 'choked' the last time them Doggies faced the Hens... :p

Monarch History
December 5th, 2007, 01:51 PM

I think I would be scared it I saw a Blue Chicken; at least a fighting kind.

The Blue Hens win a close one 31-28.

ChickenMan
December 5th, 2007, 01:52 PM
I think I would be scared it I saw a Blue Chicken; at least a fighting kind.

The Blue Hens win a close one 31-28.

http://www.foxnews.com/images/256907/0_61_012407_cock_fight.jpg

Houndawg
December 5th, 2007, 01:55 PM
I think we all know who got 'choked' the last time them Doggies faced the Hens... :p

Ancient history.xrolleyesx

agsadmin
December 5th, 2007, 01:58 PM
FOLKS, the smack is fun, but please limit it to the smack board. There is already an SIU/UD smack thread there. This thread will join it if this doesn't stop. This goes for BOTH sides.

devilhen
December 5th, 2007, 02:08 PM

Not true, it is generally accepted that the Greyhound can reach the highest top speed of all dogs (45 mph), second only to the Cheetah for all animals. Some think the Saluki wins out sometimes over long distances, but hey - this is football & SPRINT based!!!xpeacex

Killsback
December 5th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Umbrellas are not allowed because it limits the vision of people sitting around the umbrellas..and someone could get an eye poked out if not careful.

GannonFan
December 5th, 2007, 02:35 PM

And would play continue if there was weather similar to what UNI had last weekend? That would not have been fun to sit through.

Yup, the game would go on. You only stop the game for lightning or something really catastropic - I'm sure they'd take a break for things like floods, tornados, etc.

spdram
December 5th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Good Luck Blue Hens from a Spider fan, hope to see you in Chatty!

HENJOHN
December 5th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Good Luck Blue Hens from a Spider fan, hope to see you in Chatty!

We are all hoping to have the all CAA final. What a great game we had the firt go around. Lets do it again.

AAadict
December 5th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Delaware vs. App St. comes close to filling the stadium. Awesome tailgating and atmosphere.

Southern Ill. vs. Richmond you will hear the local crickets. Lucky SIU does not have a b-ball game that night.

skinny_uncle
December 5th, 2007, 06:29 PM

There has only been one game suspended for weather in the history of McAndrew Stadium. It was being played in a downpour and was stopped in the second quarter (if my memory is correct) for lightning. It was finished on Sunday. I was in the stands both days.

skinny_uncle
December 5th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Not true, it is generally accepted that the Greyhound can reach the highest top speed of all dogs (45 mph), second only to the Cheetah for all animals. Some think the Saluki wins out sometimes over long distances, but hey - this is football & SPRINT based!!!xpeacex

Greyhounds hit 37 mph. Salukis have been timed at 43 mph. They were used in early times to run down gazelles.

BlueHenBoy
December 5th, 2007, 08:33 PM
I heard that Matt Marcorelle used to chase down Saluki's in high school to get his speed up. After that became to easy, he went to college and began to chase Omar Cuff in practices. That has proven to be the more difficult of the two.

skinny_uncle
December 5th, 2007, 09:31 PM
I heard that Matt Marcorelle used to chase down Saluki's in high school to get his speed up. After that became to easy, he went to college and began to chase Omar Cuff in practices. That has proven to be the more difficult of the two.
Tell Cuff he should run right at Larry Luster. Larry just wants to give him a hug.

http://web.mac.com/saluki1/iWeb/Dawg%20Tracker/FB%20vs%20MSU_files/SIU-MSU%20%20017Final.jpg

caribbeanhen
December 6th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Delaware vs. App St. comes close to filling the stadium. Awesome tailgating and atmosphere.

Southern Ill. vs. Richmond you will hear the local crickets. Lucky SIU does not have a b-ball game that night.

xbowx

Ud1Hens
December 6th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Tell Cuff he should run right at Larry Luster. Larry just wants to give him a hug.

http://web.mac.com/saluki1/iWeb/Dawg%20Tracker/FB%20vs%20MSU_files/SIU-MSU%20%20017Final.jpg

Does SIU's uniform come complete with peel away lettering or is that just a special touch from Russell?

devilhen
December 6th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Greyhounds hit 37 mph. Salukis have been timed at 43 mph. They were used in early times to run down gazelles.

Again, not true...

How fast are greyhounds?
Very. They run up to 45 MPH and can hit top speed in 30 feet. For this reason, they must be kept on a leash unless they are in a fenced area, and must NEVER be placed on a cable-run or other type of tether.

Also, see link below for further info.

http://www.canadasguidetodogs.com/greyhound.htm

devilhen
December 6th, 2007, 09:33 AM
[QUOTE=skinny_uncle;784526]Tell Cuff he should run right at Larry Luster. Larry just wants to give him a hug.

He'll be past Larry before he can look below his big old belly to find him!

leatherneck177
December 6th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Salukis 32
Delaware 28

Rob Iola
December 6th, 2007, 10:15 AM

Hey skinny, in all seriousness, how's Luscious Larry's lateral movement - how does he do on stretch plays?

Houndawg
December 6th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Hey skinny, in all seriousness, how's Luscious Larry's lateral movement - how does he do on stretch plays?

In all seriousness, he's quick. He has two TDs off fumble returns, one of them over 50 yards and the other was about 40, I think.

SO ILLmatic
December 6th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Does SIU's uniform come complete with peel away lettering or is that just a special touch from Russell?

Not even Russell jerseys, Rawlings baby. LOL

When you play as hard-nosed as Luster does, you can expect the letters to peel off ever now and then.

SO ILLmatic
December 6th, 2007, 06:55 PM
In all seriousness, he's quick. He has two TDs off fumble returns, one of them over 50 yards and the other was about 40, I think.

He had a big time fumble return against NIU that turned the tide of the game

SunCoastBlueHen
December 6th, 2007, 06:56 PM
To be honest, I've hesitated posting on these UD/SIU threads because I'm actually not very confident in the outcome. :o

Houndawg
December 6th, 2007, 07:16 PM
To be honest, I've hesitated posting on these UD/SIU threads because I'm actually not very confident in the outcome. :o

It seems like a game that could break several different ways, from who gets the ball last to the winner making it look easy. I think a big factor for SIU is that we appear to pretty healthy overall for the fourteenth week of football. Hopefully for UD fans you'll be getting a couple of offensive linemen back that didn't play last week. I don't think many Saluki fans are as confident as I am judging by the fact that I'm the only one representing on the smack board, hell there's more UNI folk smackin' on our behalf.

HENJOHN
December 6th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Two very good teams, both well coached, and both appear hungry. I think this is the best overall team UD has faced yet. I hope there isn't too much rain SAT PM.

Ud1Hens
December 6th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Not even Russell jerseys, Rawlings baby. LOL

When you play as hard-nosed as Luster does, you can expect the letters to peel off ever now and then.

Touche' good sir, touche'

D1B
December 6th, 2007, 07:49 PM
I think SIU beats Deleware. SIU, IMO is the best team in the country right now. Home field.

Ud1Hens
December 6th, 2007, 08:04 PM
I think SIU beats Deleware. SIU, IMO is the best team in the country right now. Home field.

I believe 95% of the AGS board said that exact same thing last week about UNI.

Houndawg
December 6th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Two very good teams, both well coached, and both appear hungry. I think this is the best overall team UD has faced yet. I hope there isn't too much rain SAT PM.

I hope it rains like a horse pissing on a flat rock.xnodx Flacco scares me a lot more than Cuff does, as good as he is. Everybody expects a shootout, but the weather could make it a 17-14 game.

Houndawg
December 6th, 2007, 08:15 PM
I believe 95% of the AGS board said that exact same thing last week about UNI.

Trut so pure. But nobody has given SIU a chance since the first round. Everything is ASU this and UD that. Being ignored has been worse than listening to smack. Win or lose Saturday people are going to see that we're for real this year and we're going to put a stop to all this Gateway teams don't have speed crap.

Rob Iola
December 6th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Trut so pure. But nobody has given SIU a chance since the first round. Everything is ASU this and UD that. Being ignored has been worse than listening to smack. Win or lose Saturday people are going to see that we're for real this year and we're going to put a stop to all this Gateway teams don't have speed crap.

Eric picked SIU - you guys are so screwed!!!
http://www.fcspreview.com/

Houndawg
December 6th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Eric picked SIU - you guys are so screwed!!!
http://www.fcspreview.com/

Damn, the one guy you don't want to notice you. :(

Anybody from here going to be at the game?

skinny_uncle
December 6th, 2007, 09:40 PM
He had a big time fumble return against NIU that turned the tide of the game

Actually, it was an INT return.

Luster (http://youtube.com/watch?v=gScZLkjlk0g)

skinny_uncle
December 6th, 2007, 09:43 PM
He's quick for a big guy.

siuham
December 7th, 2007, 02:48 AM
Warning to Delaware fans that will be in attendance:

I hope you like Alice Cooper...

And on that note (clever pun,) I don't know if I've been more excited for a game. The Kansas sweet 16 game last year was nice, but this feels a lot bigger to me.

AAadict
December 7th, 2007, 04:46 AM
"I don't know if I've been more excited for a game."

I have no idea how well the Hen's match up with the Salukis. Posters who say they worry less about Omar Cuff have not seen this guy play much. Enough said on this subject. He will be running the ball and catching passes in less than 36 hrs.
One more point on the worn out subject of how playoff football is better than the bowl system. Unless the NC, you have to watch the team that beat you the following week if you lose. I don't want to turn on my TV on Dec. 14th and watch SIU. It's got to be a road trip to Chatty, TN. to root on the Hen's!

siuham
December 7th, 2007, 05:09 AM
It'll be tough to watch on TV if Delaware wins Saturday, but I'll still do it. I'd rather see Delaware win than Richmond/App State.

I was afraid of meeting up with Delaware when I watched you guys thrash DSU in the first round, but probably just as afraid of going up to UNI again.

34 hours to go. :)