PDA

View Full Version : Team to beat now!

TheKDL
December 2nd, 2007, 01:54 AM
So now that #1 UNI is out, who is the team to beat? Being from App. State I would say App. State but I want to know what you think.

WyomingGrizFan
December 2nd, 2007, 02:00 AM
I'd say the team that beat Northern Iowa:...Delaware.

blur2005
December 2nd, 2007, 02:11 AM
I figure you have to say Delaware since the Hens took down the top dawg fairly convincingly.

Dane96
December 2nd, 2007, 02:15 AM
I have been impressed with Delaware for weeks.

BearsCountry
December 2nd, 2007, 02:19 AM
The Ugly Dawgs from Carbondale.

mvemjsunpx
December 2nd, 2007, 02:32 AM
Southern Illinois.

They've been dominant since they lost to UNI.

blur2005
December 2nd, 2007, 02:33 AM
Southern Illinois.

Except for a 10-9 win over Western Illinois.

mvemjsunpx
December 2nd, 2007, 02:51 AM
Except for a 10-9 win over Western Illinois.

Yeah, but WIU was pretty good.

The main reason I choose SIU is that they don't seem to have any notable weaknesses. They run well, they pass well, & they defend well.

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2007, 06:23 AM

The main reason I choose SIU is that they don't seem to have any notable weaknesses. They run well, they pass well, & they defend well.

They adjust well at the half.

appstate38
December 2nd, 2007, 07:17 AM
Toss up between Delaware and App.

BTW This would be an awesome final. Both teams travel well. Could be biggest crowd in finals history!xprayx

Ud1Hens
December 2nd, 2007, 07:53 AM
Toss up between Delaware and App.

BTW This would be an awesome final. Both teams travel well. Could be biggest crowd in finals history!xprayx

As a Delaware fan I'd love to say they are the team to beat but I definately have to go to App. St. They are the team to beat until someone beats them in the playoffs when it matters.

If, If, If, there is a Delaware vs. App. St. final, I think you'd see a sellout.

skinny_uncle
December 2nd, 2007, 09:19 AM

We've got a prety good punter, too.
Ravanesi averaged 52.9 yards/punt yesterday.

MountaineerGuy
December 2nd, 2007, 09:23 AM
If our defense shows up the rest of they year like it did yesterday, I would say we are a very tough opponent for anyone. If it was a fluke and they show up like they did the past 4 or 5 games, I'm not so sure. Some of the weaker SoCon teams we were able to slip by without great defense, but Wofford and GSU (I know GSU didn't get into the playoffs, but I consider them one of the best teams in the SoCon this year...they beat us and Wofford) and I'd say James Madison showed us that's not going to work when you're playing the teams from the upper tiers.

Saint3333
December 2nd, 2007, 09:49 AM
Any of the four remaining teams could easily win it all. Remember Richmond beat Delaware in Delaware (in OT). SIU only lost by 1 to UNI in the dome.

All have impressive offenses. Should be 3 great games remaining.xnodx

93BlueHen
December 2nd, 2007, 09:52 AM
I say flip a coin at this point. Four stud teams left.

But, I really, really, really, really want an App St/Delaware final.xnodx

00bluehen
December 2nd, 2007, 09:57 AM
Right now, the team to beat for me is SIU

stevdock
December 2nd, 2007, 10:34 AM
My opinion for the team to beat is until the defending champs get knocked out, they have to be the team to beat. Especially when they have been forcing a bunch of turnovers already this post-season. They were only +2 for the season, and they are +5?? in their first two games.

89Hen
December 2nd, 2007, 11:04 AM
1. AppSt
2a. Richmond
2b. Delaware
4. SIU

xtwocentsx

PSUVikings
December 2nd, 2007, 11:42 AM
I say the team to beat is the team that hasn't been beaten in the post season for years now...App State

BlueHenBoy
December 2nd, 2007, 12:01 PM
If our defense shows up the rest of they year like it did yesterday, I would say we are a very tough opponent for anyone. If it was a fluke and they show up like they did the past 4 or 5 games, I'm not so sure.

Sounds like you're talking about Delaware.

I would say the team to beat is Applachain State, along with the things that have been said, they have the publicity and most likely the support of neutral fans. God I hope they lose. I would love to see RIichmond again, IF WE BEAT ILLINOIS.

Gil Dobie
December 2nd, 2007, 12:05 PM
1. AppSt
2a. Richmond
2b. Delaware
4. SIU

xtwocentsx

1. AppSt (hometeam, defending champion)
2a. SIU (hometeam)
2b. Delaware
4. Richmond

NovaHater
December 2nd, 2007, 01:04 PM
Southern Illinois.

Dominating isn't giving up 522 yds of offense.

I look for the team with the best defense, although young, to win it all................Richmond Spiders

AlphaSigMD
December 2nd, 2007, 01:42 PM
I doubt richmond has the best D left among the 4 teams. In fact, they might have the worst pass defense.

Either way, like I've said before, ASU is the team to beat, beacuse we're still champions until someone does. UR will present a strong challenge in the semi's, and I expect a close game, but i believe ASU will find a way to win based on superior offense, and a defense that will be concentrating on a feature back without much run support from other areas.

BigApp
December 2nd, 2007, 01:43 PM
...Delaware and App.
This would be an awesome final. Both teams travel well. Could be biggest crowd in finals history!xprayx

boy, don't you know the folks in Chattanooga are hoping and praying for that matchup!

On the flipside, they'll bring out the garlic, silver bullets, holy water and crosses at the thought of SIU/Richmond.

xreadx

AlphaSigMD
December 2nd, 2007, 02:03 PM
boy, don't you know the folks in Chattanooga are hoping and praying for that matchup!

On the flipside, they'll bring out the garlic, silver bullets, holy water and crosses at the thought of SIU/Richmond.

xreadx

In all honesty, any matchup featuring AppState in the national championship game will be a sellout. Last year, UMass brough something like 1000people, and ASU infiltrated and surrounded their tiny section. Plus, they already had to bring in standing room only and removable bleacher seats around the outside...and I knew tons of people who wanted to go, but couldn't get tickets, and didn't want to travel and have to depend on getting them scalped at the gate.

Now, if we can just get past Richmond.

Its wierd, but it always seems like every non-ASU AGS person pulls against ASU in EVERY SINGLE PLAYOFF game. Wierd. 10 in a row, and you'd think we'd never been there before.

Lafyette W
Southern Illinois W
Furman W
Northern Iowa W
Coastal Carolina W
Montana State W
Youngstown State W
UMass W
James Madison W (whew)
Eastern Washington W
Richmond... I say We're gonna put in another W, but only if we bring our A game!

skinny_uncle
December 2nd, 2007, 02:11 PM
Right now, Delaware.
One game at a time.

RazorEdge19
December 2nd, 2007, 02:16 PM
The team to beat is the one who has won the title the last two years, App.

Why is that even a question?

Cincy App
December 2nd, 2007, 02:24 PM
Delaware is the team to beat as the best all-around team in the field. However, there are 4 solid teams left so anything can happen.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 2nd, 2007, 02:47 PM
The two time defending champ has to be considered the team to beat.

I am also supportive of our conference brethren.

That said, we beat UD MULTIPLE times on their home field just a few weeks back. I think we deserve some consideration here!

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2007, 03:23 PM
Dominating isn't giving up 522 yds of offense.

I look for the team with the best defense, although young, to win it all................Richmond Spiders

It wasn't as close as the score or stats. It was a two-score difference until the last 4:00, at which time SIU took the ball and ran the clock out, mostly between the tackles; they had the ball for 10:00 of the 4th quarter. UMass got HUGE breaks from all of the TV time outs.

BlueHenBoy
December 2nd, 2007, 04:01 PM
In all honesty, any matchup featuring AppState in the national championship game will be a sellout. Last year, UMass brough something like 1000people, and ASU infiltrated and surrounded their tiny section. Plus, they already had to bring in standing room only and removable bleacher seats around the outside...and I knew tons of people who wanted to go, but couldn't get tickets, and didn't want to travel and have to depend on getting them scalped at the gate.

I think they should move the National CHampionship site. I know that Chatanooga is a landmark in 1AA football, but it is an unfair advantage to teams from the south. You can't expect someone from Delaware to fork out the money for a round trip ticket to CHatanooga, especially during the Holiday season.

BlueHenBoy
December 2nd, 2007, 04:04 PM
That said, we beat UD MULTIPLE times on their home field just a few weeks back.

You my friend are a moron.xnonono2x

Since most Richmond fans probably have the same opinion as you, I pray that we see each other in the National Championship, where we would show you who is the best team in the CAA South, and give you another shot to see what a proper running back looks like.

93BlueHen
December 2nd, 2007, 04:08 PM
I think they should move the National CHampionship site. I know that Chatanooga is a landmark in 1AA football, but it is an unfair advantage to teams from the south. You can't expect someone from Delaware to fork out the money for a round trip ticket to CHatanooga, especially during the Holiday season.

With the exception of the 2004 sod fiasco, Chattanooga has been an excellent facility. Combined with the fact that UTC is a doormat, it will never be a home game for anyone. This is far preferrable to the Marshall Invitational situation we had in the early 90s. No matter where you choose, someone is going to be upset. We Delaware fans can complain, but ask someone from Montana how they feel about site location!

spdram
December 2nd, 2007, 04:15 PM
The team to beat is the team you face next!

AppGirl
December 2nd, 2007, 04:21 PM
In my opinion, the team to beat is Richmond. Any Given Saturday, (or for us, this, week, Friday.) One week at a time.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 2nd, 2007, 04:43 PM
You my friend are a moron.xnonono2x

Since most Richmond fans probably have the same opinion as you, I pray that we see each other in the National Championship, where we would show you who is the best team in the CAA South, and give you another shot to see what a proper running back looks like.

Oh that's sweet of you! Hopefully in Chattanooga, we'll have an officiating crew that realizes all the players need to be at the line of scrimmage and not moving for a real play to happen!

If so, you'll get a refresher on the lesson we taught you in Newark in half the time!!! Brush up!

JohnStOnge
December 2nd, 2007, 04:51 PM
I'd say one of the two Colonial teams. Not that I like that but that's how it looks. I think we now have a substantial threat of having the first ever championship game between two teams from the same conference.

I'm pulling for SIU but that's what I think at this point.

Amazing turnaround by the A-10/Colonial, too, starting with UMass' national championship in 1998. Before then the league had one of the poorer playoff records and had never won a national championship game. Now it's clearly, year in and year out, the toughest FCS top to bottom league and anybody that plays any team from it in the playoffs...even when it puts five teams in...knows they're probably going to have their hands full.

I mean, let's face it: App was lucky to beat JMU the first week and UNI had its hands full with UNH. I watched SIU and UMass yesterday and kudos to SIU for making hay while the sun shined early; but they had to hang on for dear life afterwards. Villanova's not in but I'm sure the Wildcats would be a tough out too. Maybe Hofstra as well. It's one heck of a strong FCS league. I'm listening to where their players are from and I don't know how they're getting players from all over the country like they are, but they're doing it.

james_lawfirm
December 2nd, 2007, 04:52 PM
With the exception of the 2004 sod fiasco, Chattanooga has been an excellent facility. Combined with the fact that UTC is a doormat, it will never be a home game for anyone. This is far preferrable to the Marshall Invitational situation we had in the early 90s. No matter where you choose, someone is going to be upset. We Delaware fans can complain, but ask someone from Montana how they feel about site location!

I agree completely. Chattanooga has rolled out the welcome mat for the NC game. And, the "sod fiasco" was remedied immediately thereafter when they put in the field turf (little rubber pellet thingies among long nylon shag carpet stuff). For the visiting fans (which is everyone) there's the Aquarium, good restaurants, great bars, and an overall genuine Southern welcome to all. My two experiences at the NC games in Chatty have been great.

Plus, I understood that the locals are willing to buy all the un-purchased tickets. There were quite a number of Chattanoogans at the games too.
Chatty may not be perfect (lots of teams might have to travel thousands of miles), but no other location is any better.

appstate1998
December 2nd, 2007, 04:59 PM
You are the champ until you are beat and lose that title...the team to beat is App. This is the first year I have missed so many games because of work, but I am hoping to find a way past Richmond because I booked my hotel a long time ago just in case

JohnStOnge
December 2nd, 2007, 05:06 PM
You are the champ until you are beat and lose that title...the team to beat is App. This is the first year I have missed so many games because of work, but I am hoping to find a way past Richmond because I booked my hotel a long time ago just in case

Well, I must admit I hope App and/or SIU wins this week because I don't want to see an all-CAA championship game.

Saint3333
December 2nd, 2007, 06:33 PM

So they should move it closer to Delawarexconfusedx.

Whereever it is it will be unfair and farther away from one team. Much like the Superbowl and FBS bowls there aren't very many games scheduled in the northest December - January due to weather.

CID1990
December 2nd, 2007, 06:33 PM
ASU has been the team to beat since 2005. Nothing has changed since then.

Nebuta
December 2nd, 2007, 06:44 PM
Oh that's sweet of you! Hopefully in Chattanooga, we'll have an officiating crew that realizes all the players need to be at the line of scrimmage and not moving for a real play to happen!

If so, you'll get a refresher on the lesson we taught you in Newark in half the time!!! Brush up!

Yeah, and maybe the championship officiating crew will realize where to spot a ball. For Omar made the 4th down conversion and should have kept the drive alive for the go ahead score, mid in the 4th Quarter. (when Omar's almost entire body was pass the spot where the ball was placed) But obviously you are just going to remember to one call that put it in overtime (which should have been the game winner), not the UD drive that was in the UR's redzone was killed by the most "RIDICULOUS" spot by the line offical.

Anyways, Good Luck UR. I would love to see a rematch and all CAA final.

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2007, 06:46 PM
I'd say one of the two Colonial teams. Not that I like that but that's how it looks. I think we now have a substantial threat of having the first ever championship game between two teams from the same conference.

I'm pulling for SIU but that's what I think at this point.

Amazing turnaround by the A-10/Colonial, too, starting with UMass' national championship in 1998. Before then the league had one of the poorer playoff records and had never won a national championship game. Now it's clearly, year in and year out, the toughest FCS top to bottom league and anybody that plays any team from it in the playoffs...even when it puts five teams in...knows they're probably going to have their hands full.

I mean, let's face it: App was lucky to beat JMU the first week and UNI had its hands full with UNH. I watched SIU and UMass yesterday and kudos to SIU for making hay while the sun shined early; but they had to hang on for dear life afterwards. Villanova's not in but I'm sure the Wildcats would be a tough out too. Maybe Hofstra as well. It's one heck of a strong FCS league. I'm listening to where their players are from and I don't know how they're getting players from all over the country like they are, but they're doing it.

xflaggedx Unecessary blindness, loss of down.

Hang on for dear life, my lily-white ass. I was there and the game was never in doubt. SIU lead start to finish and always by two scores until UMass pulled within 7 with 4:00 left. They never saw the ball again because SIU rammed it down their throats for the entire 4:00. They stuffed the run, hurried Coen all day, and picked him off three times. If it weren't for all the TV timeouts letting UMass hang around, time would have run out while the score was still 34-13. Both of SIU's lines won the battle in the trenches, rushing for 246 yards and holding UMass to 101 yards the ground. Not even a good try on the spin.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 2nd, 2007, 06:47 PM
Yeah, and maybe the championship officiating crew will realize where to spot a ball. For Omar made the 4th down conversion and should have kept the drive alive for the go ahead score, mid in the 4th Quarter. (when Omar's almost entire body was pass the spot where the ball was placed) But obviously you are just going to remember to one call that put it in overtime, not the UD drive that was in the UR's redzone was killed by the most "RIDICULOUS" spot by the line offical.

Anyways, Good Luck UR. I would love to see a rematch and all CAA final.

A bad spot is subjective... Especially without replay.

0:00 on the clock is not...

Nebuta
December 2nd, 2007, 06:54 PM

Subjective. LOL. Just as subjective as UD line was set or not.

Oh and dont worry their will be replay from the Semi-finals on out.

AAadict
December 2nd, 2007, 07:14 PM
Team to beat now? App St. I used to think the got a lot of lucky breaks in close games...but they do it too much to be good fortune. They have playmakers that do what it takes to win. You have to be great to make the final 4. App St is a post season giant.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 2nd, 2007, 07:16 PM
I'm not worried. If we can beat UD several times in Newark ... we could surely do it once in Chattanooga.

I hope we get the chance to see it.

There is still work to do. Buckle your chinstrap.

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2007, 07:23 PM
Team to beat now? App St. I used to think the got a lot of lucky breaks in close games...but they do it too much to be good fortune. They have playmakers that do what it takes to win. You have to be great to make the final 4. App St is a post season giant.

Yep. Gotta take it from the champ. They are tremendous opportunists and they have big game experience. They can be beaten, but they won't beat themselves.

AAadict
December 2nd, 2007, 07:27 PM
Richmond was the best team I saw this year. They did outplay us (Hens) in Newark. I will be rooting for the Spiders on Friday. I was lucky to tailgate in Boone a couple years ago (Lafayette) and App St tailgates are awesome. I almost missed the kickoff playing "washers". I wish the Hens were playing in Boone.

JohnStOnge
December 2nd, 2007, 07:33 PM
xflaggedx Unecessary blindness, loss of down.

Hang on for dear life, my lily-white ass. I was there and the game was never in doubt. SIU lead start to finish and always by two scores until UMass pulled within 7 with 4:00 left. They never saw the ball again because SIU rammed it down their throats for the entire 4:00. They stuffed the run, hurried Coen all day, and picked him off three times. If it weren't for all the TV timeouts letting UMass hang around, time would have run out while the score was still 34-13. Both of SIU's lines won the battle in the trenches, rushing for 246 yards and holding UMass to 101 yards the ground. Not even a good try on the spin.

I was pulling for SIU. I was very happy that they started off looking like it was going to be a blowout. And I was very happy when SIU was able to move the ball and keep UMass from getting the ball back at the end. But I'd like to see how much of SIU's yardage came over about the first 20 minutes of the game.

UMass ended up with 522 yards. Yes, it was passing yardage. And, yes, SIU made some plays and got some interceptions. But, as somebody pulling for SIU, by the time it got into the fourth quarter I wasn't real confident in SIU's ability to stop UMass. UMass' receivers were outstanding. I did not want that game to go into overtime at all because I honestly felt that UMass would have the advantage.

I was pulling for SIU. But I know that, as someone doing that, I was getting real concerned in the 4th quarter and felt that it was absolutely essential that UMass not get the ball back with a chance to tie the score.

SunCoastBlueHen
December 2nd, 2007, 07:50 PM
I truly think Richmond will Beat App. State. The Spiders are a solid team on both sides of the ball and will wear down the Mountaineers with their line play. I think UD is a rightful underdog to SIU. If Flacco is on, however, they have a fair chance of winning. I believe, though, that the Spiders have the best chance of representing the CAA in the finals. xthumbsupx

Go Hens!

Go Spiders!

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2007, 08:03 PM
I was pulling for SIU. I was very happy that they started off looking like it was going to be a blowout. And I was very happy when SIU was able to move the ball and keep UMass from getting the ball back at the end. But I'd like to see how much of SIU's yardage came over about the first 20 minutes of the game.

UMass ended up with 522 yards. Yes, it was passing yardage. And, yes, SIU made some plays and got some interceptions. But, as somebody pulling for SIU, by the time it got into the fourth quarter I wasn't real confident in SIU's ability to stop UMass. UMass' receivers were outstanding. I did not want that game to go into overtime at all because I honestly felt that UMass would have the advantage.

I was pulling for SIU. But I know that, as someone doing that, I was getting real concerned in the 4th quarter and felt that it was absolutely essential that UMass not get the ball back with a chance to tie the score.

Coen is a good QB and if you give him time he will burn you. SIU was getting good pressure from their down linemen and all of the INTs were more pressure related than coverage related. UMass has good receivers but SIU's D was the faster unit.

89Hen
December 3rd, 2007, 07:11 AM
I don't want to see an all-CAA championship game.
I don't think you're alone on that one. Probably every non-CAA fan is thinking the same thing, and for good reason. xsmiley_wix

89Hen
December 3rd, 2007, 07:16 AM
Unecessary blindness

If it weren't for all the TV timeouts letting UMass hang around
xlolx xlolx xlolx Perhaps one of your funniest posts. Oh, wait, you weren't trying to be funny? You've easily replaced umassfan as the biggest homer on the board. xcoffeex

devilhen
December 3rd, 2007, 07:51 AM
That said, we beat UD MULTIPLE times on their home field just a few weeks back. I think we deserve some consideration here!

We were missing some key defensive players for that game & were still a chipper away from winning... That said, I like Richmond's team & I hope you beat App. State. I think Delaware's defense is healthy now & clicking.

xpeacex

Jaxhen
December 3rd, 2007, 08:00 AM

Except for the fact that the official time is kept on the field, not on the scoreboard. Were you standing next to the official timekeeper? If you were, my apologies.

Cocky
December 3rd, 2007, 08:03 AM
Richmond

Ronin
December 3rd, 2007, 08:38 AM
SIU or Delaware

I'd give SIU the edge, but in the semi-finals anything is possible.

bench
December 3rd, 2007, 10:24 AM
To be the man

http://www.askthelawguy.info/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/ricflair.jpg

you gotta beat the man.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 3rd, 2007, 10:34 AM
I've said from the beginning of the season that JMU was the best in the country (oops!) w/ Delaware, App St, and UNI close behind. That said,

UDel 38
SIU 28

App St 35
Richmond 34 (Sorry, CAA brethren & UR fans, but ASU has had some destiny thing going on since the season started)

UDel 28
App St 24 (However, even destiny can be derailed--especially if the Blue Hen defense has finally showed up and plans to collect some big plays and turnovers for another 2 weeks

MarkCCU
December 3rd, 2007, 11:22 AM
I predict a final game between Delaware and Applachain State.

blukeys
December 3rd, 2007, 11:37 AM
Unecessary blindness

If it weren't for all the TV timeouts letting UMass hang around

xlolx xlolx xlolx Perhaps one of your funniest posts. Oh, wait, you weren't trying to be funny? You've easily replaced umassfan as the biggest homer on the board. xcoffeex

You have missed out 89, TV timeouts are the latest in the long line of Gateway excuses. UNI coach Farley blamed TV timeouts as the reason UNI could not keep its 1st Quarter momentum. Farley and the Gateway are the best whiners and excuse makers of all time.

FightinBluHen51
December 3rd, 2007, 11:44 AM
The two time defending champ has to be considered the team to beat.

I am also supportive of our conference brethren.

You won ONCE and only ONCE...shut up about it.

On topic, 2x Defending National Champ ASU would get my vote.

bench
December 3rd, 2007, 12:08 PM
Everything has played out perfectly for App. McNeese and Montana got beat in the first round, giving the Mountaineers home-field throughout. They've been both lucky and good when they had to be, and they're a win away from Chattanooga.

A week ago I would have told you that how nicely this has unfolded was a shame in a way: an exciting yet critically flawed team has caught breaks they won't be able to take advantage of, that their Achilles has to catch up with them at some point. I didn't look around and notice that everyone else in the division seems to have the same weakness, especially when they're playing App.

I'm not as down on our chances now as I was. Our team hasn't put together a complete game yet, and they're still standing. If they can emulate last year's Colts - explosive offense and magically, improbably rejuvenated postseason defense - they have a shot at making it. There were hints of this Saturday, but on Friday night against a stern opponent, we'll have to see some proof.

Blue Hen Nation
December 3rd, 2007, 12:11 PM
Appy, they're the defending National Champs.

URMite
December 4th, 2007, 12:09 PM
You won ONCE and only ONCE...shut up about it.

On topic, 2x Defending National Champ ASU would get my vote.

I agree with you about ASU. As for that day in Newark, there were a lot of bad calls on both sides, including a general 1 & 12 (because of bad spots...those guys couldn't walk a straight line in a sobriety test).

But the UR legend of the last play has grown to be in order:
1) clock to zero
2) ref blows whistle
3) UR walks off field
4) all UD O line stands but center
5) center hikes and Flacco walks in.
6) ref conference = touchdown.
Are you saying that isn't how it was?xsmiley_wix

Personally I still say it should have been inadvertent whistle and UD with one play and I believe you would have gotten in.

Saluki_man
December 4th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Untill they get knocked out, the defending champs are the team to beat.

bluehenbillk
December 5th, 2007, 06:54 AM
I agree with you about ASU. As for that day in Newark, there were a lot of bad calls on both sides, including a general 1 & 12 (because of bad spots...those guys couldn't walk a straight line in a sobriety test).

But the UR legend of the last play has grown to be in order:
1) clock to zero
2) ref blows whistle
3) UR walks off field
4) all UD O line stands but center
5) center hikes and Flacco walks in.
6) ref conference = touchdown.
Are you saying that isn't how it was?xsmiley_wix

Personally I still say it should have been inadvertent whistle and UD with one play and I believe you would have gotten in.

Boy, revisionist history is just that, were you even there??

WCU_FL_Alum
December 5th, 2007, 08:30 AM
I think the defending two time National Champs deserve the respect of the #1 position.

With that being said.......GO BLUE HENS!!

wapiti
December 5th, 2007, 09:56 AM
NDSU

Oh wait, they did not qualify. xrulesx

smallcollegefbfan
December 5th, 2007, 09:59 AM
I'd say the team that beat Northern Iowa:...Delaware.

Agreed. Delaware is for sure.

We are lucky to not have a BCS. We have two co-champs who weren't even autobids and two 2nd place or below teams in the semis. Had we not settled it on the field we probably wouldn't have had the best team in the land earn the title.

blukeys
December 5th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Agreed. Delaware is for sure.

We are lucky to not have a BCS. We have two co-champs who weren't even autobids and two 2nd place or below teams in the semis. Had we not settled it on the field we probably wouldn't have had the best team in the land earn the title.

No autobids are left. All 4 semifinalists are at large teams. I guess the committee did a pretty good job of picking at large teams after all.

Houndawg
December 5th, 2007, 10:10 AM
No autobids are left. All 4 semifinalists are at large teams. I guess the committee did a pretty good job of picking at large teams after all.

Including the #4 seed.xrolleyesx

Pitbull
December 5th, 2007, 10:43 AM
What does the Nature Boy Ric Flair say..." To be the man...you got to beat the man..." APP State is the team to beat until somebody proves otherwise....

URMite
December 5th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Boy, revisionist history is just that, were you even there??

A little touchy aren't we? I thought the word "legend" and the wink would let you know that every time the story is told at UR it gets worse, which was my point.

No, I wasn't there but I have seen a photo with both Flacco and the center touching the ball, and multiple players on both sides are doing things that would indicate a violation. A competent officiating crew would have handled the situation differently. But the officials that day certainly appeared to have already demonstrated their incompetence (not necessarily bias...). Can we agree on the lack of quality officiating?

LacesOut
December 5th, 2007, 02:13 PM
In order:

App State
UD
Richmond
SIU

HensRock
December 5th, 2007, 02:25 PM
I think we now have a substantial threat of having the first ever championship game between two teams from the same conference.

GSU vs. Furman 1985 and 1988
or was GSU not a part of the SoCon then?

GannonFan
December 5th, 2007, 02:31 PM
A little touchy aren't we? I thought the word "legend" and the wink would let you know that every time the story is told at UR it gets worse, which was my point.

No, I wasn't there but I have seen a photo with both Flacco and the center touching the ball, and multiple players on both sides are doing things that would indicate a violation. A competent officiating crew would have handled the situation differently. But the officials that day certainly appeared to have already demonstrated their incompetence (not necessarily bias...). Can we agree on the lack of quality officiating?

That's why when they have replay reviews that they use actual video, just not a collection of still shots ("see, that's me and the missus on vacation, this one's when we went to see the grandkids, oh, and here's one of the new car").

But yes, the officials were not a good group that day. Doesn't mean they got the last play of regulation wrong, though. xpeacex

GannonFan
December 5th, 2007, 02:32 PM
GSU vs. Furman 1985 and 1988
or was GSU not a part of the SoCon then?

Yup, Georgia Southern didn't join the SoCon until '92 I think. They were an independent before then and, despite not having access to an autobid through being in a conference, they still managed to make the playoffs a few times. Imagine that. ;)

blukeys
December 5th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Yup, Georgia Southern didn't join the SoCon until '92 I think. They were an independent before then and, despite not having access to an autobid through being in a conference, they still managed to make the playoffs a few times. Imagine that. ;)

I heard Youngstown State was able to do it a couple of times as well!!!xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

GannonFan
December 5th, 2007, 02:36 PM
I heard Youngstown State was able to do it a couple of times as well!!!xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

Some team called Delaware made a few playoffs as an independent as well. Not sure where I heard that, though. ;)

parr90
December 5th, 2007, 06:12 PM
I think Del is very good but I dont think they will match up well against App st. They will have to much overall speed. Del would be bigger up front but I dont think it would help because of apps ability to run. I could be wrong though.

Houndawg
December 5th, 2007, 07:13 PM
I think Del is very good but I dont think they will match up well against App st. They will have to much overall speed. Del would be bigger up front but I dont think it would help because of apps ability to run. I could be wrong though.

They won't match-up at all with ASU.

caribbeanhen
December 5th, 2007, 07:25 PM
They won't match-up at all with ASU.

dog,

how will you be able to stop Flacco and Cuff

whats the plan

skinny_uncle
December 5th, 2007, 07:37 PM
dog,

how will you be able to stop Flacco and Cuff

whats the plan