December 1st, 2007, 11:55 PM
Second round attendance figures were as follows:

EWU at ASU - 16,947

Del at UNI - 15,803

Richmond at Wofford - 8,500

UMass at SIU - 6,560

AAadict
December 2nd, 2007, 12:59 AM
So why is Delaware travelin' to SIU? Hens could draw 16k easy. It would be nice to play in an easy conference like thr Gateway, Very top heavy. In the CAA you've go to be your best every week. No Indiana States.

mvemjsunpx
December 2nd, 2007, 01:11 AM
Second round attendance figures were as follows:

EWU at ASU - 16,947

Del at UNI - 15,803

Richmond at Wofford - 8,500

UMass at SIU - 6,560

What happened to App State's big #'s from the regular season?

appstate1998
December 2nd, 2007, 01:13 AM

i'd guess the whole having to go buy a ticket thing

siugrad99
December 2nd, 2007, 01:15 AM
Gee AA adict thats a real intelligent comment after the CAA split games with the Gateway today. SIU gets the home game because they are the # 4 seed. Delaware would draw more fans i'm sure, but SIU has earned the right on the field to host another game.

KiddBrewer
December 2nd, 2007, 01:25 AM

deer season......na i dont know, savin up for this next weekend i guess.

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2007, 06:26 AM
So why is Delaware travelin' to SIU? Hens could draw 16k easy. It would be nice to play in an easy conference like thr Gateway, Very top heavy. In the CAA you've go to be your best every week. No Indiana States.

xrolleyesx You don't even play everyone in your OWN conference. Our draw was low because of the annual winter parade and Indiana being in town for a basketball game.

rjg129
December 2nd, 2007, 06:36 AM

numbers were fudgedxeyebrowx

looked like 19-20 thousand to me

AAadict
December 2nd, 2007, 06:57 AM
Newark is a town for football. True point about the split between the Gateway and the CAA. I say both CAA teams play in a tougher conference and thus it is tougher to go undefeated like UNI was. Look at what JMU did @ App St. Look at what UNI did @ UNI. Both razor close games on the road. Delaware went on the road to UNI and beat them by 12 in the terror dome. My point is that if Delaware played in the Gateway we would have been seeded and likely at home this week. Maybe the Gateway is tougher than I think...or maybe it is top heavy as I have suggested.

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2007, 07:12 AM
Newark is a town for football. True point about the split between the Gateway and the CAA. I say both CAA teams play in a tougher conference and thus it is tougher to go undefeated like UNI was. Look at what JMU did @ App St. Look at what UNI did @ UNI. Both razor close games on the road. Delaware went on the road to UNI and beat them by 12 in the terror dome. My point is that if Delaware played in the Gateway we would have been seeded and likely at home this week. Maybe the Gateway is tougher than I think...or maybe it is top heavy as I have suggested.

I think the Gateway is tougher than UMASS thought.xnodx

You got five teams in, and that's never happened and you were the only multi-bid league to get teams on both sides of the bracket, so scheduling certainly hasn't hurt you. No doubt there is depth, but would UMASS have been in the playoffs if they hadn't been able to avoid UD, JMU, and Richmond? Gateway teams would compete very well in the CAA I think, and YSU played UNI tougher than UNH did.

pbr1893
December 2nd, 2007, 07:12 AM

Top heavy huh? Towson,Will&Mary,Rhode Island and Northeastern looked like they had not enjoyed too much success this year either. With North Dakota State and South Dakota State coming in it will be an even tougher conference. But if you are so sure of the Gateways weakness then feel free to ask your A.D. to schedule a few games with a few of these "easy' teams. I wonder what his response would be?xwhistlex

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2007, 07:16 AM

I think SIU's numbers were a little light too. There were noticeably more people there than last week.

UNHFan
December 2nd, 2007, 08:13 AM
You are all making great points

I agree some sort of deal between the two confrences would be great. Each CAA team adds 1 Gateway team to its schedule... its not easy to do so if they agree this year you wont see it complete for 3-5 years.

Also there should be a power ranking system so Delaware an host!! lol Im kidding but Delaware can put 22K for a big game.

SIU was pretty sd looking... it knida looks like Holy Cross these days!

from 1984ish to 1994ish Sellouts where 27,500 and average was asy 18 to 19K Fricken shame what they did to that Program! Gordies 5th & 3rd Heismen finishes helped... also remember when Gordie finished 3rd HC QB Jeff Wieley finished 6th.... OK ca you tll I am damaged HC fan!! lol

siugrad99
December 2nd, 2007, 08:20 AM
SIU fans cannot argue the point that Delaware would have a larger crowd then SIU. The IU game and Parade are not excuses NOT to come to the game, they should have been perfect opportunities to have MORE fans at the game. The weather was awesome so that excuse is out the window also. I worked @ 6:30 in the morning in St. Louis and left to be down for kick off and then tailgated some more and went to the BBall game. There was nothing that should have kept true SIU fans from coming to the game if they had the ability to. Sorry I love my Salukis, but we do not show the same support to our football team that many other top FCS school do for their teams.

Basketball is King @ SIU which is definitely true.

ASUMountaineer
December 2nd, 2007, 08:25 AM

Every school has a drop off in attendance during the playoffs. Appalachian is no different.

ChickenMan
December 2nd, 2007, 08:59 AM
Gee AA adict thats a real intelligent comment after the CAA split games with the Gateway today. SIU gets the home game because they are the # 4 seed. Delaware would draw more fans i'm sure, but SIU has earned the right on the field to host another game.

Absolutely.. SIU regardless of attendence figures.. deserves to have the home game vs UD.

93BlueHen
December 2nd, 2007, 09:05 AM
Gateway teams would compete very well in the CAA I think

Well, it's hypothetical, but I would say UNI would be the typical good CAA team and go around 8-3. I'd say SIU could do the same with some good luck or might drop to the four or five loss range. I think YSU would be .500ish and the rest would be doormats.

That means that the playoffs would not have been altered dramatically. The CAA would still have gotten 5 teams in. UNI would have replaced New Hampshire.

I still don't see more than 2 to 3 Gateway teams staying competitive in the CAA. Meanwhile, 6 CAA teams were competitve and probably four more could pick off one of the top six on any given Saturday.

Draw whatever conclusions you want, but it's pretty clear to me that CAA>Gateway.

MountaineerGuy
December 2nd, 2007, 09:11 AM
I don't think those numbers are wrong...at least for the app game. There was almost nobody on the lawn and the East Side wasn't even totally filled.

stevdock
December 2nd, 2007, 10:39 AM

Have every team in your CAA conference play each other and then we'll see who has the tougher conference. I would be willing to bet that there's no way you get 5 in if every team had to play all the teams in the conference.

ChickenMan
December 2nd, 2007, 10:41 AM
Have every team in your CAA conference play each other and then we'll see who has the tougher conference.

Like we don't already know... :p

89Hen
December 2nd, 2007, 11:01 AM
Our draw was low because of the annual winter parade and Indiana being in town for a basketball game.
xeekx Wow, those have to be the most lame excuses I've ever seen for why a team didn't draw well. xlolx

89Hen
December 2nd, 2007, 11:02 AM
The IU game and Parade are not excuses NOT to come to the game, they should have been perfect opportunities to have MORE fans at the game. The weather was awesome so that excuse is out the window also. I worked @ 6:30 in the morning in St. Louis and left to be down for kick off and then tailgated some more and went to the BBall game. There was nothing that should have kept true SIU fans from coming to the game if they had the ability to. Sorry I love my Salukis, but we do not show the same support to our football team that many other top FCS school do for their teams.
xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx An honest fan. xthumbsupx

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2007, 11:28 AM
SIU fans cannot argue the point that Delaware would have a larger crowd then SIU. The IU game and Parade are not excuses NOT to come to the game, they should have been perfect opportunities to have MORE fans at the game. The weather was awesome so that excuse is out the window also. I worked @ 6:30 in the morning in St. Louis and left to be down for kick off and then tailgated some more and went to the BBall game. There was nothing that should have kept true SIU fans from coming to the game if they had the ability to. Sorry I love my Salukis, but we do not show the same support to our football team that many other top FCS school do for their teams.

Basketball is King @ SIU which is definitely true.

Good job by you.xthumbsupx Simple fact is that locals have been avoiding C'dale the first weekend in December for years because of the gridlock.

slycat
December 2nd, 2007, 11:28 AM
Every school has a drop off in attendance during the playoffs. Appalachian is no different.

shoot when texas st was in the playoffs we sold out the second two games in a matter of 2 or 3 days. sure our stadium only holds 15000 but i would love to know how many more tickets would have been sold if we had the room.

unicat87
December 2nd, 2007, 12:37 PM
Attendance at the UNI-Dome was pretty good considering the winter storm on Saturday. Had the highways been clear, there would have been 1 or 2k more. -unicat87

93BlueHen
December 2nd, 2007, 12:49 PM
Attendance at the UNI-Dome was pretty good considering the winter storm on Saturday. Had the highways been clear, there would have been 1 or 2k more. -unicat87

Yes, that was a nice crowd for an ice storm. Also, I was cracking jokes all week about the dome, but I'll be the first to admit that the noise did hurt Delaware early in the game until they got used to it. When we got flagged on the first play, then others, then fell behind 10-0, the tight butt factor was in play!

th0m
December 2nd, 2007, 12:49 PM
A lot of teams also underreport their attendance numbers in the playoffs. Of course for venues such as the UNI Dome that can only occur to a certain extent due to their capacity, but for ASU's stadium, I'd imagine their actual attendance could've been a lot higher than what was reported.

phillyAPP
December 2nd, 2007, 01:57 PM
I don't think those numbers are wrong...at least for the app game. There was almost nobody on the lawn and the East Side wasn't even totally filled.

The numbers are NOT WRONG as you said----and if ANYONE believes they play with the numbers---- than TEHY have an INTEGRITY problem -----that the APP athletic department DOESN'T.

So i wish the people that don't like the #'s would just live with them.

Sorry about the negativeism but the playoffs brings out alot of stupid thoughts by some. ie predictions,scores,attendence,what IF's......

just my xtwocentsx

89Hen
December 3rd, 2007, 07:06 AM
and YSU played UNI tougher than UNH did.
xrolleyesx Here we go again. Villanova played UD tougher than UNI did. Point? xcoffeex

ngineer
December 3rd, 2007, 08:08 AM

We've discussed the past couple years when the 'announced' attendance figures at most games did not jive with what most people saw in the stands, which was significantly more bodies than announced. I guess they're still up to their old tricks in dealing with allocation of costs under some NCAA regs.

Purple For Life
December 3rd, 2007, 09:22 AM
I was very impressed at the Dome attendance, considering the nasty weather. There's a lot of schools here delaying or canceling classes even today, so you know it's pretty crummy out. I had to put ice melt three times on my steps yesterday, and I have NO IDEA how I'm going to clear one sidewalk...it snowed, then iced, then snowed again. :(

appfan2008
December 3rd, 2007, 10:05 AM
Our draw was low because of the annual winter parade and Indiana being in town for a basketball game.

I really dont want to hear it... I played Joseph for First Baptist Church in Boone in the annual Christmas Parade and my fiance played Mary and she rode on a donkey that I pulled down King Street. The parade stepped off at 9am I had to be on site at 7am to get ready and it finished at 1030am... we then ate a very quick lunch and made it to the stadium at 1115 for a 12noon game... Dont tell me about a parade taking people away from a game!!!xnodx

BisBison
December 3rd, 2007, 11:47 AM
A lot of teams also underreport their attendance numbers in the playoffs. Of course for venues such as the UNI Dome that can only occur to a certain extent due to their capacity, but for ASU's stadium, I'd imagine their actual attendance could've been a lot higher than what was reported.

Hate to sound so stupid, but what is the incentive to underreport attendance in the playoffs? Do you get to keep proceeds for tickets sold over and above what you report to the NCAA?