PDA

View Full Version : Defense DOES NOT win Championships

Peems
December 1st, 2007, 04:57 PM
Let's take a look at the teams that will most likely be in the semis come next week.

1. App- 5th in the nation in total offense
2. UD- 3rd in the nation in total offense
3. SIU- 9th in the nation in total offense

Wofford is 11th and Richmond is 24th.

Now let's take a look at some of the teams that got bounced in the first round

1. Montana- 23rd in the nation in total offense.( 2nd in the nation in scoring defense)
2. McNeese- 13th in the nation in total offense(14 in the nation in scoring D)

Of note these stats do reflect the playoff games.

The teams that are still in the playoffs and competing for a championship can score and move the ball. Teams that have relied on stout D and consistent O are sitting at home watching all this exciting offense.

Also of note, UMass which will most likely be eliminated today(if the lead holds) is 43rd in total offense and 13th in scoring defense.

It's time teams understand you need points to win,(looks over at Bobby Hauck and the UM coaching staff)

jonmac
December 1st, 2007, 05:06 PM
I agree with, for this season and probably a few more. I haven't donet he research but from memory it seems that there are times in football history that defenses dominate and times that offenses dominate. This happens to be a time when powerful offenses are dominant, in all of D-I, just look at the points teams are putting up this year. I believe it is cyclical. In a few years defenses will start figuring out how to defend the spread/spread option and will become more dominant and then a new offensive scheme will develope and the cycle will continue. There does, of course have to be some defense, at least enough to slow teams down. But there is no large number of dominant defenses right now.

Griz40
December 1st, 2007, 05:10 PM
Let's take a look at the teams that will most likely be in the semis come next week.

1. App- 5th in the nation in total offense
2. UD- 3rd in the nation in total offense
3. SIU- 9th in the nation in total offense

Wofford is 11th and Richmond is 24th.

Now let's take a look at some of the teams that got bounced in the first round

1. Montana- 23rd in the nation in total offense.( 2nd in the nation in scoring defense)

Of note these stats do reflect the playoff games.

The teams that are still in the playoffs and competing for a championship can score and move the ball. Teams that have relied on stout D and consistent O are sitting at home watching all this exciting offense.

Also of note, UMass which will most likely be eliminated today(if the lead holds) is 43rd in total offense and 13th in scoring defense.

It's time teams understand you need points to win,(looks over at Bobby Hauck and the UM coaching staff)
OH talk about hitting the nail on the head! Please please Santa, for Christmas I want a high powered (and high scoring) offense delivered back to Missoula!!!!!
You make a great point this year PEEMS. Today's games have been great to watch so far and anyone can call me a throwback to the old Big Sky....but I LOVE the shootouts and blowouts! I was hoping EWU would keep it close today because I am a Montana/Big Sky homer but dang I love them blowouts.

Peems
December 1st, 2007, 05:23 PM
While I started this thread, I am not totally dismissing D either. Let's say we have a UD/ASU matchup, obviously both Offenses are prolific but whichever D can make a play, that teams chances of winning go up exponentially

th0m
December 1st, 2007, 06:16 PM
If both offenses can score in an equally easy fashion, the defense will be the difference maker. Not exactly rocket-science, I'd say ;)

skinny_uncle
December 1st, 2007, 06:26 PM
SIU is also ranked ninth in scoring D. Six of the playoff teams were in the top 20 in scoring D. There are lots of ways to win games.

blukeys
December 1st, 2007, 06:45 PM
I think Peems raises a really key point. In my view we have witnessed some very huge changes in FCS in the last 10 years that help explain a proliferation of offense at our level and I think this has also changed FBS.

1. Rule Changes in College Football have encouraged passing offenses. This includes the 5 yard no chuck rule on the defenses and more importantly much more "liberalized" holding rules. This favors offense in general and passing in particular.

2. More Passing skilled players in High School. It used to be that high school QB's threw maybe 3-5 times a game. But year round programs and summer QB camps have given us much better skill players in the passing game than we have ever seen before. Not only does this help the FCS with recruits but Transfers also

3. Speaking of Transfers. While a team may need to rotate 6 to 8 OL and DL players, there are a limited number of spots for improved FBS skill players. Kids want to play. If they see 3 players who are ahead of them on the depth chart despite the fact that the talent level is marginal, they will look to play elsewhere.

4. Spread Offenses. They are designed to get big play makers in open space to score quick and easy points. Forget 3 yards and a cloud of dust dominance. A 65 yard run pass play counts the same as a 7 minute drive with 15 chances of a turnover.

In response to this defenses have become smaller and faster with the hope of creating big plays on their own. The new formula is to get some stops and turnovers and hope this will allow your team to score more points as no defense will stop anyone forever.

The current rules and proliferation of too many great skill players make this inevitable. I am not convinced this is better footballl but I see this as the emerging reality.

Peems
December 1st, 2007, 06:47 PM
If both offenses can score in an equally easy fashion, the defense will be the difference maker. Not exactly rocket-science, I'd say ;)

Of course, but look at the teams that can score with ease, they will be in Chatty.

FightinBluHen51
December 1st, 2007, 07:01 PM
I think Peems raises a really key point. In my view we have witnessed some very huge changes in FCS in the last 10 years that help explain a proliferation of offense at our level and I think this has also changed FBS.

1. Rule Changes in College Football have encouraged passing offenses. This includes the 5 yard no chuck rule on the defenses and more importantly much more "liberalized" holding rules. This favors offense in general and passing in particular.

2. More Passing skilled players in High School. It used to be that high school QB's threw maybe 3-5 times a game. But year round programs and summer QB camps have given us much better skill players in the passing game than we have ever seen before. Not only does this help the FCS with recruits but Transfers also

3. Speaking of Transfers. While a team may need to rotate 6 to 8 OL and DL players, there are a limited number of spots for improved FBS skill players. Kids want to play. If they see 3 players who are ahead of them on the depth chart despite the fact that the talent level is marginal, they will look to play elsewhere.

4. Spread Offenses. They are designed to get big play makers in open space to score quick and easy points. Forget 3 yards and a cloud of dust dominance. A 65 yard run pass play counts the same as a 7 minute drive with 15 chances of a turnover.

In response to this defenses have become smaller and faster with the hope of creating big plays on their own. The new formula is to get some stops and turnovers and hope this will allow your team to score more points as no defense will stop anyone forever.

The current rules and proliferation of too many great skill players make this inevitable. I am not convinced this is better footballl but I see this as the emerging reality.
Definitely what we saw today.

JohnStOnge
December 1st, 2007, 07:53 PM

Obviously, McNeese did not play good defense in its playoff game. In order for defense to win a championship you have to play good defense in the playoffs.

Reed Rothchild
December 1st, 2007, 08:41 PM
UD's pass d won this game for them. UNI gave up too many coverage sacks cuz their receivers could not get open. So yes, defense might win a championship for UD.

MR. CHICKEN
December 1st, 2007, 09:16 PM
HEY KNUCKLE-DRAGGERAHS.........WE LIED...DERE IS UH "D"......IN DELAWARE!

stevdock
December 1st, 2007, 09:19 PM
I was wondering this throughout the year. It doesn't look to me like defenses are less talented than previous years. It just looks like the offense is one or even 10 steps ahead of the defense for just about every FCS game I've watched. What average point total given up would be considered a good defense these days?

Peems
December 1st, 2007, 10:09 PM
UD's pass d won this game for them. UNI gave up too many coverage sacks cuz their receivers could not get open. So yes, defense might win a championship for UD.

It might have won this game for them, but UD got to where they are because they have one of the best offenses in all of FCS. Hell they even out dueled Navy.

proasu89
December 2nd, 2007, 07:47 PM
I was wondering this throughout the year. It doesn't look to me like defenses are less talented than previous years. It just looks like the offense is one or even 10 steps ahead of the defense for just about every FCS game I've watched. What average point total given up would be considered a good defense these days?

24-28 points against a spread attack seems like a good defensive effort.

BEAR
December 2nd, 2007, 09:15 PM
Even though my Bears weren't eligible for the playoffs...any McNeese fan would tell you Defense would have made it a more interesting conference championship....xrolleyesx xmadx xlolx Valdosta and UNA both have rabid defenses and they are typically in the title hunt yearly in Division II. xrulesx Balance seems to be the key to a championship..and a little luck. xcoolx xlolx

stevdock
December 2nd, 2007, 11:36 PM
24-28 points against a spread attack seems like a good defensive effort.

That's about what I was thinking against all offenses, not just spread. I hope someday soon the defense can get back on an even footing with the offense. I love offense more than anything else in a football game, but a knock down drag out fight for first downs and field posession is also a great game.