PDA

View Full Version : CCU @ ASU

Black and Gold Express
September 12th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Sagarin has ASU as a 14 point favorite this weekend.

CCU woke up people nationwide with their win over JMU. They definitely are a team not to be taken lightly. ASU has a good road win at EKU, and a loss at Kansas where they played tough for a little over a half before KU pulled away.

I do feel though that ASU is a better team, and has faced better overall competition than CCU has this season. No offense to Elon, but JMU was their first test, and it was at home.

In Boone, at The Rock, with what should be a good crowd due to the limited number of home games this year, ASU always plays a lot better than they do on the road. CCU will not be sneaking up on anyone now, like they did JMU.

I do not see CCU having enough to pull this one out. I'd love to say ASU will blow them out like we did in our home opener last year against EKU (after a tough road outing to start the year, similar to this season), but I can't pull that trigger.

I think Sagarin is right, we'll win by 14. But that will involve a late score to make it that. Should be a good game throughout.

youwouldno
September 12th, 2005, 02:03 PM
This turns out to be a really important game for both teams. The SoCon is wide open but App stupidly scheduled 2 automatic losses, leaving little room for error in their playoff chances.

CCU... well, if they beat App, they could easily go undefeated and get into the playoffs without much question. A loss here, though, makes their playoff odds much more tenuous.

Personally I think App will win by a decent margin, 2 TDs or so.

Dukester
September 12th, 2005, 03:20 PM
CCU is a good team. I saw my Dukes go down in defeat to CCU Saturday night. We had plently of chances in the last 5 minutes to win the game, but did not do so. All in all they went toe to toe with us. If they play like they can, you'll have your hands full. We could get no pressure on their QB.

I felt we had the better team - but there was no doubt who wanted the game more. We let them get confidence in the first half - and by the time we started playing after halftime - we were in for a real dog fight.

:cool:

JMU Duke Dog
September 12th, 2005, 03:47 PM
If Coastal Carolina plays like they did against JMU this upcoming Saturday in Boone, then the Chanticleers will definitely win and continue to make noise in I-AA.

Dukester
September 12th, 2005, 03:56 PM
I wouldn't go that far - the game is at Appy. I'll say they could win if they can play as well next week.

JMU Duke Dog
September 12th, 2005, 04:07 PM
The Mountaineers' home game winning streak will be ended by the Chanticleers. In my opinion, Coastal Carolina is more talented than Appalachian State and plays insanely well when they possess confidence which they will now after winning against JMU.

SuperJon
September 12th, 2005, 06:35 PM
App's a completely different team when it comes to home and away. At home they are incredible and on the road not so much. With this game being at App, they will be good.

One thing not working in our favor is this tropical storm. All activities on campus have been cancelled for Tuesday which may or may not include practice, I don't know.

However, I am happy to say we have around 150 students signed up and even more signing up over the next two days to take the buses to the game at App. I know the Happy Appy's will say that 150 ain't nothing but on a 5-6 hour bus ride, 150+ (we had to order more tickets today so we now have 250 tickets for the bus trip) is very good, along with the people planning on driving.

appst89
September 12th, 2005, 06:50 PM
The Mountaineers' home game winning streak will be ended by the Chanticleers. In my opinion, Coastal Carolina is more talented than Appalachian State and plays insanely well when they possess confidence which they will now after winning against JMU.

Based on what? Have you seen ASU play this year? CCU may well win the came, but it doesn't really seem reasonable to proclaim them more talented when you haven't seen ASU play. If you have seen ASU play, then you have my apologies.

rokamortis
September 12th, 2005, 08:59 PM
I wouldn't say it publicly before the game but I thought we had a shot at JMU since we were hungry and they were coming off of a NC and a weak D-II they destroyed. We even tried to give them the game with an INT, fumble, and almost another INT that a guy dropped. But we somehow got it in the 4th, it was just magic, stuff that shouldn't have happened did.

But I knew that ASU would be a tough game no matter what, tougher if we were fortunate to beat JMU. ASU is super strong at home having not lost a gme in Boone in 2 years - that includes Furman and GSU.

It won't be an easy day in Boone, NC for the Chants on Saturday.

mainejeff
September 12th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Coastal will come back to earth this weekend......

Appalachian State 38 Coastal Carolina 15

SuperJon
September 12th, 2005, 09:40 PM
The funny thing is you guys think we're all over confident going into App. No one, and I repeat no one, on campus thinks this game will be easy. Everyone is saying this game will be harder than last week's. We're down to earth right now.

JMU Duke Dog
September 12th, 2005, 09:48 PM
I think Appalachian State is overconfident heading into this game.

charliej
September 12th, 2005, 09:50 PM
One thing's for sure..CCU won't sneak up on anybody anymore.I don't think many outside of Coastal really thought they had a shot at JMU,(I know I didn't :o ).

I can't say if JMU was overlooking the Chants,but you can bet App.St. won't.

SuperJon
September 12th, 2005, 10:08 PM
They're not overlooking us but I think they're thinking we're gonna be a pushover. They think that JMU was a fluke. They think they're Gods to us.

I know there are the occasional few who actually have a brain but some of the stuff on the App board and this board prove that there are some that have spent too much time doing Boone's biggest extracurricular activity.

JMU Duke Dog
September 12th, 2005, 10:12 PM
They're not overlooking us but I think they're thinking we're gonna be a pushover. They think that JMU was a fluke. They think they're Gods to us.

I know there are the occasional few who actually have a brain but some of the stuff on the App board and this board prove that there are some that have spent too much time doing Boone's biggest extracurricular activity.

I have noticed that quite a few Appalachian State fans do not think too fondly of JMU. Maybe they are jealous of never winning a national title. So they expect to do what we could not. I will be pulling for the Chanticleers this weekend.

SuperJon
September 12th, 2005, 10:13 PM
I think for the rest of the year there is a mutual respect between JMU and CCU. I know I'll be pullin for JMU the rest of the way and it seems most the JMU guys are pullin for us.

chantster
September 12th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Double digit underdogs again this week? I love it!

SuperJon
September 12th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Maybe in the polls but not in the picks.

rokamortis
September 12th, 2005, 10:41 PM
ASU plays tough at home. I'm sure ASU wasranked below GSU and Furman when they beat them at home the last two years.

00bluehen
September 12th, 2005, 10:50 PM
I'll try posting as an outsider (i.e. lacking the JMU "CCU-is-going-to-win-because-they-beat-us-so-they-must-be-a-great-team-and-if-they-win-we'll-feel-better" approach, as well as the CCU "ASU-is-so-high-and-mighty-and-they-think-JMU-was-a-fluke" approach) on this topic...

I think ASU has to be the underdog here, and if I'm on their coaching staff, I'd be preparing as such. They are playing a team that is on a mission this year--not just to beat one team to gain respect, but to beat 3 teams, win the Big South, and make the I-AA playoffs. As such, they are a formidable opponent who must be taken seriously. You cannot say that the team that just won the national title and returned a majority of its team is a "fluke." The game on Saturday was not a "fluke." JMU got beat...

I think ASU should be, and likely is, approaching it as if their streak is really on the line this weekend against a team that is not finished making their mark on the 2005 season.

youwouldno
September 13th, 2005, 12:44 AM
This board is appropriately titled "Any Given Saturday" not "Every Given Saturday." Is CCU a totally different team now that they beat JMU?

appst89
September 13th, 2005, 04:47 AM
I have noticed that quite a few Appalachian State fans do not think too fondly of JMU. Maybe they are jealous of never winning a national title. So they expect to do what we could not. I will be pulling for the Chanticleers this weekend.

I don't know where you've ever seen that. Every ASU fan I know, myself included, feels that ASU and JMU are as close to being the same school in different states as they can be. JMU is always the first school mentioned when we ASU folk are forming our new dream conference.

It seems to me that you are taking the approach that since CCU beat you guys, there's no way ASU should be able to win. I have my doubts about this game for many reasons, but I do think if we are prepared and play with some emotion, we will win.

rokamortis
September 13th, 2005, 06:19 AM
This board is appropriately titled "Any Given Saturday" not "Every Given Saturday." Is CCU a totally different team now that they beat JMU?

Seems people want to think that. The truth is that this game concerns me because of their long winning streak, our win over JMU, and their desire not to lose to 'little CCU'.

Black and Gold Express
September 13th, 2005, 07:04 AM
Looks to me like CCU is the favorite in the polls.

And we all know polls are the be-all, end-all of who's a favorite or not every time. Especially early in the year. :rolleyes: (added for SuperJon's sake ;))

I didn't make up the line, it's what Sagarin calculates. He's about as unbiased as it comes, considering he uses math to determine that line. And over the years, he's been on target way more often than not. I was a bit surprised to see it at 10 points plus the 4 point home field boost.

But again, if you look at it, CCU has a win over Elon and a JMU team that we're not so sure of anymore. CCU was JMU's first real test as well, and they failed it. Time will tell if that win ends up being a big one for CCU (JMU did lose a lot on the lines from graduation I heard, and maybe they just need time to gel as a unit), or part of the proof that JMU has slipped back down a little from last year. On the flip side, ASU beats an EKU team that almost upended WKU on the road. If we were to use the "poll" logic, that makes us look pretty good too, doesn't it? And Kansas is the best team either one of us has faced by far.

No offense to JMU, but this will be a bigger test for CCU. Road games always are. I will say now that I would be surprised if it is a blowout win for ASU, but we need this game just as much as they need it. If we're taking it lightly, I would be ashamed of the team for doing so. With our schedule, we need to go 8-1 at worst in I-AA games to make the playoffs.

Both teams want it, both teams need it. If CCU pulls off what I would consider an upset, then that speaks mountains about them. But I don't see anything that would make us look as the underdog at home right now. We're not a huge favorite, but we should be the favorite considering it's been close to two years since someone came to Boone and left with a win.

OL FU
September 13th, 2005, 07:08 AM
I may be wrong about this but Sagarin has JMU something close to 50th in I-AA. So he did not give the Chants a lot of points for the win (mathmatically).

Black and Gold Express
September 13th, 2005, 07:22 AM
I may be wrong about this but Sagarin has JMU something close to 50th in I-AA. So he did not give the Chants a lot of points for the win (mathmatically).

I wish I could see last week's numbers and see what was the jump and fall made from that game. All I can ever find are the current week's. It may be that CCU did get a big boost from it.

OL FU
September 13th, 2005, 07:28 AM
I wish I could see last week's numbers and see what was the jump and fall made from that game. All I can ever find are the current week's. It may be that CCU did get a big boost from it.

I have the order of rating at home, not the power rating. I hope I remember to look and will post tomorrow. My recollection, and it is just that, both moved substantially in opposite directions. CCU was rated way down the previous week.

SuperJon
September 13th, 2005, 09:33 AM
And we all know polls are the be-all, end-all of who's a favorite or not every time. Especially early in the year.

If CCU pulls off what I would consider an upset, then that speaks mountains about them.

So the polls decide who is the favorite, and Coastal is ranked higher, but it would be an upset for Coastal to win. I'm just trying to follow your logic here.

I'm not making a prediction. It should be a good game, that's all I'll say.

SoCon48
September 13th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Here's the logic. Many teams have come into KBS ranked much higher than App and lost.

rokamortis
September 13th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Here's the logic. Many teams have come into KBS ranked much higher than App and lost.

That is the fact we need to be concerned with - regardless of what the polls say.

Black and Gold Express
September 13th, 2005, 09:46 AM
So the polls decide who is the favorite, and Coastal is ranked higher, but it would be an upset for Coastal to win. I'm just trying to follow your logic here.

I'm not making a prediction. It should be a good game, that's all I'll say.

Instead of chopping what you want from my initial post, how about reading and comprehending the whole thing and try again? Or, if it will help you, I'll go back and add a smiley to denote the sarcasm you may have missed. ;)

Assuming, of course, you were not being sarcastic yourself.

There were two cases last year alone where a higher-ranked team came to Boone the underdog according to Sagarin. Both were Top 5 teams according to the polls.

Both Furman and Wofford left Boone losers. Oh yeah, one of them was a blowout win too.

Easy enough for ya? ;)

OL FU
September 13th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Instead of chopping what you want from my initial post, how about reading and comprehending the whole thing and try again? Or, if it will help you, I'll go back and add a smiley to denote the sarcasm you may have missed. ;)

There were two cases last year alone where a higher-ranked team came to Boone the underdog according to Sagarin. Both were Top 5 teams according to the polls.

Both Furman and Wofford left Boone losers. Oh yeah, one of them was a blowout win too.

Easy enough for ya? ;)

Yeah, but our game was a fluke :rolleyes: :D

Black and Gold Express
September 13th, 2005, 09:51 AM

Nah, 2002 was a fluke. 40-45 for 415 wasn't. ;)

DotCat
September 13th, 2005, 11:48 AM
This game will be a true test for CCU to see if they belong in the SoCon.

rokamortis
September 13th, 2005, 11:50 AM
This game will be a true test for CCU to see if they belong in the SoCon.

So I guess we need to lose up there and then we get in? Seems like the other SoCon schools have had a very hard time up there.

Coastal89
September 13th, 2005, 12:01 PM
So I guess we need to lose up there and then we get in? Seems like the other SoCon schools have had a very hard time up there.
Rok, maybe if we win up there some of those Socon teams can come join the Big South. ;)

OL FU
September 13th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Rok, maybe if we win up there some of those Socon teams can come join the Big South. ;)

No, we will wait for the Great Big South West Football Conference. Love that coast to coast travel.

SuperJon
September 13th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Or, if it will help you, I'll go back and add a smiley to denote the sarcasm you may have missed. ;)

;)

See, I didn't know you were being sarcastic. That was my fault. It's sometimes hard to tell sarcasm on here.

DotCat
September 13th, 2005, 11:32 PM
No, we will wait for the Great Big South West Football Conference. Love that coast to coast travel.

Could we become the Big Southern? I hope not.

WUTNDITWAA
September 13th, 2005, 11:53 PM

Damn, if misery doesn't love company. I back up 89's post. I've never, ever heard of anyone from ASU trashmouthing James Madison. I don't know where you've been, but that simply is not the case. In fact, this is the first I've seen anyone from JMU trashing App. Believe what you will, but I know that many Appalachian supporters were pulling for James Madison last year, and were happy when it won the NC.

I also know that we're not jealous of any program out there. Maybe I'm wrong, but being as we have a 10-3 all-time record against JMU, I highly doubt your team would be it.

Need proof, go punch up Track 37 in Heartstoppers and Hail Marys.

OL FU
September 14th, 2005, 07:24 AM

Before the Game JMU was #15 after #53
CCU Before #72 after #45

So yes CCU got a big boost. Realizing that Sagarin uses points (I don't have those numbers) instead of position , the position switch tells me that early in the season, the math formula he uses splits the difference. Probably because he has few games to compare. So JMU and CCU rise and fall approximately equal distances. Later on with other games in the formula that probably will not happen.

Verdict - Early Sagarin ratings don't mean a whole lot.

And Sagarin does not count D-II games. See Ralph , you learned me.

SoCon48
September 14th, 2005, 08:17 AM
Nah, 2002 was a fluke. 40-45 for 415 wasn't. ;)

Many of Furmie's wins through the years were flukes, too.

OL FU
September 14th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Many of Furmie's wins through the years were flukes, too.

I don't remember those. Of course my memory runs in three year cycles.
And of course I was kidding. I generally don't think any of them were flukes,
they were FUps

Mr. C
September 14th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Seems like I remember Richie Williams completing 28 consecutive passes. Is that a fluke? And three wins in a row seems more like a trend than a fluke.

OL FU
September 14th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Seems like I remember Richie Williams completing 28 consecutive passes. Is that a fluke? And three wins in a row seems more like a trend than a fluke.

I guess I am going to have to start putting bigger smiley faces on my post.

Geez :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Coastal89
September 14th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Sounds like an ASU homer to me.

bodoyle
September 14th, 2005, 12:32 PM
I wonder who that could be. And taking App. State...let me pretend to be surprised.

Mr. C: Was Tyler Thigpen slicing and dicing the JMU defense so they resemble swiss cheese a fluke? IF 3 in a row is a trend what is 12 in a row?

MountaineerDrive
September 14th, 2005, 02:02 PM
As a loyal Appalachian fan/student I'm very worried about this game. I was worried even before the JMU win by CCU. The reason is that I know David Bennett is one of the best football coaches at any level. He will have the Chanticleers ready to play. Look at what he has done with this program already. I played one year for him at Catawba and I have the utmost respect for him as a coach and a person. I hope we come out ready to defend Kidd Brewer, I'll be in the student section yelling as loud as I can. Coach Bennett will be yelling at the refs even louder. You guys have a winner CCU. I just hope on Saturday he's a loser. GO APPS!
-Sparky

Chants '07
September 14th, 2005, 03:00 PM
I think this a win win situation for Coastal. For maybe the first time they have a target on their backs. App is riding a long home winning streak, and after CCU's win last week they are not going to enter boone underestimated.

If Tyler and the WR corp can hook up the way they did this past week, which I think surprised everyone in the stadium then Coastal should have a legitamate shot at another upset bid. Asided from 2 turnovers that gave JMU a short field the offense looked great.

If the D plays with the intensity that they showed Saturday then the chants will be right in the thick of it in the 4th quarter!!

OL FU
September 14th, 2005, 03:33 PM
I think this a win win situation for Coastal. For maybe the first time they have a target on their backs. App is riding a long home winning streak, and after CCU's win last week they are not going to enter boone underestimated.

If Tyler and the WR corp can hook up the way they did this past week, which I think surprised everyone in the stadium then Coastal should have a legitamate shot at another upset bid. Asided from 2 turnovers that gave JMU a short field the offense looked great.

If the D plays with the intensity that they showed Saturday then the chants will be right in the thick of it in the 4th quarter!!

Now I know I am seeing things. All day long I see a Paladin with a Penguin helmet avatar and now I am seeing a Chant with an Appalachian State helmet. I have to get new contacts.

JMU Duke Dog
September 14th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Now I know I am seeing things. All day long I see a Paladin with a Penguin helmet avatar and now I am seeing a Chant with an Appalachian State helmet. I have to get new contacts.

Soon Montana State fans will be sporting Montana helmet avatars while Lehigh fans will be sporting Delaware helmet avatars. :eek:

charliej
September 14th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Soon Montana State fans will be sporting Montana helemt avatars while Lehigh fans will be sporting Delaware helmet avatars. :eek:

Hah.......I wouldn't hold my breath. :shakingma

Chants '07
September 14th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Yeah it's something that I started doing on a high school board, sporting the opposing teams helmet for a week. And my high school went 13-1 and climbed all the way to #16 in the country.

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!

WUTNDITWAA
September 14th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Yeah it's something that I started doing on a high school board, sporting the opposing teams helmet for a week. And my high school went 13-1 and climbed all the way to #16 in the country.

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!

13-1 huh. Well, two can play at this game. :D :D :D :D

Just kidding. I'll change it back later tonight.

Chants '07
September 14th, 2005, 09:02 PM
I probably will too....just though it would get some laughs!!

JMU Duke Dog
September 14th, 2005, 09:02 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/extrapoint.htm

No. 17 Coastal Carolina (2-0) at Appalachian State (1-1), 3:30

Earlier in the month, I found out how tough it’s going to be to make a trip to Boone, North Carolina. A flight into Raleigh-Durham on Saturday morning is followed by three-hour or so drive up to Boone. I expected to attend this game to see if Coastal Carolina could compete with top competition after a loss to James Madison, but the story becomes much more intriguing now as the Chants look for their second win in a row against a potential I-AA playoff team. Coming off last week’s huge win and going on the road could make this game an even tougher challenge for the Chants. And without an automatic bid for a postseason berth, the Chants can’t afford a letdown because even one loss could keep them out of the playoff picture. Coastal Carolina did most of its damage through the air against James Madison, but will look more to Patrick Hall and the running game more often against a Mountaineer defense that has a strong secondary but allows nearly 200 yards per game on the ground. The Mountaineer offense isn’t as potent as the 2004 unit but will still pose a threat through the air with Payton Award candidate Richie Williams. Appalachian State only plays four games at home this year, which could hurt the Mountaineers because they are different team at Kidd Brewer Stadium. Appalachian State has not lost at home since Oct. 26, 2002, recording a 12-game winning streak that includes wins against Georgia Southern, Furman and Wofford. The Chants already proved they can play with the best in I-AA, but it’s much tougher to go on the road and win in a hostile environment. Coastal Carolina plays well again, but the third-year program falls short in a bid for a second straight win over a I-AA power. Prediction: Appalachian State 27, Coastal Carolina 20

Chants '07
September 14th, 2005, 09:06 PM
That's a respectable prediction.

But if the App St. front 7 can't stop the rushing attack COASTAL WILL WIN!! Mark it down, Coach Bennet would rather punish you than throw the ball any day.

bodoyle
September 14th, 2005, 10:41 PM
MountaineerDrive:

Thanks for the nice comments. I am more worried about this game then I was for the other. One word letdown. I hope Coach B doesn't let it happen.

BlackSaturday
September 14th, 2005, 10:45 PM
Appears to be a hot ticket.... looks like we may have a sellout before gameday.

GoASU report (http://www.goasu.com/?page=202&article=4865&fromPage=137)

BlackSaturday
September 17th, 2005, 04:00 PM
ASU 30 CCU 0 ... 2nd quarter

Tod
September 17th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Hmmmm... Interesting. :eek:

ngineer
September 17th, 2005, 04:03 PM
ASU 30 CCU 0 ... 2nd quarter

Ouch. after last week, we're really going to be doin' some head scratchin.

skinny_uncle
September 17th, 2005, 04:04 PM
Unbelievable.

Hansel
September 17th, 2005, 04:06 PM
at half, still 30-0, CCU fans might be a bit quieter this week ;)

Mountaineer
September 17th, 2005, 04:07 PM
30-0 at the Half.

Listening to the game on the ASN feed the Apps have pretty much dominated the game on the defensive front (5 or so 3 and out for the Chants).

Ugly downside are the penalties. 10 for 119 yards.

366 yards of O in the first half.

GSU Eagle
September 17th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Coastal is finding out what we in Statesboro know-- Winning in Boone is not easy.

I must admit I expected alot closer game than this.

th0m
September 17th, 2005, 04:29 PM
Question is, what does this tell us about which team? Is JMU really bad? Is ASU really good? Or is CCU inconsistent? I personally don't know. One thing is for sure, as everybody else is saying, ASU's home advantage is no myth.

Tribe4SF
September 17th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Lacking a comeback of some sort, looks like the Chants will be a one week wonder in the top 25. With Rhody pounding the Tribe, and Lafayette losing, more shuffling this week.

And who knows what might happen tonight. :eek:

chattanoogamocs
September 17th, 2005, 04:38 PM
I think CCU was amped up for the biggest home game of their short history...and now they are playing, with a "hangover", at one of the toughest home field advantages in IAA

coastalalum
September 17th, 2005, 04:42 PM
23,267 folks in attendance. by far the most fans coastal has played in front of......in fact it's an app attendance record!..........correction, an opening day record

BlackSaturday
September 17th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Yea, the 6th largest crowd in KBS history.

Chants '07
September 17th, 2005, 05:04 PM
This was only CCU's 25th game in school history.

The fellas just got hammered today, there's no running around it. Does Coastal have a good team? Without a doubt, just young and inexperienced. This loss will go a long way through the rest of the season. This was CCU's first glimpes at a playoff atmosphere, so if nothing else the experience alone should help a lot. I'm sure Coach Bennet wishes that the boys would have competed a little better, but hey we're 2-1 with a win over the defending champs.

Realistically CCU could finish 9-2 at worst and 10-1 at best.

If we lose again I'd say it would be against S.C. State

Tribe4SF
September 17th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Appy has a great stadium, but the climb up that hill sucks!

Coastal89
September 17th, 2005, 05:26 PM
It probably wouldn't of made much difference but we did lose 2 days practice to the hurricane this week. Our boys were just too high on their headlines from last week.

Coastal89
September 17th, 2005, 05:35 PM
We won the second half. :o

BlackSaturday
September 17th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Happy Birthday to me! Apps win 30-3 Richie sits out the 4th quarter entirely.

Black and Gold Express
September 17th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Richardson had a career day for him, but we countered it with penalties. Close to 200 yards!! That is unacceptable, and we were lucky that CCU's offense was so inept (giving a lot of credit to our defense for that).

We piled on the yards, racking up over 500 total for the day, but give credit to CCU's defense for shutting out ASU in the second half, when they had multiple chances in the red zone. This game could have easily been a 47 or 52 - 3 score, but they did not quit. I know that's just a moral victory, but it's something I think they should be proud of.

rokamortis
September 17th, 2005, 06:57 PM
ASU was ready to play. CCU wasn't. ASU had a good gameplan and our guys couldn't execute ours. Dropped passes and bad decisions were on the menu for CCU.

Credit to ASU - great fans and great players. We straight got outplayed.

As far as our rankings - I felt we were ranked too high this week anyway, but I don't think this loss should knock us out completely though - ASU continued their 3 year winning streak. :(

citdog
September 17th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Do you still want in the SoCon USC-C?

rokamortis
September 17th, 2005, 07:08 PM
You think we would be afraid because of one game Citdog? It happens sometimes. Plus - in the last 3 years how many SoCon teams have won at Kid Brewer?

Chants '07
September 17th, 2005, 11:04 PM

Send the bullpuppies up HWY 17!!!

SuperJon
September 18th, 2005, 01:56 AM
Question is, what does this tell us about which team? Is JMU really bad? Is ASU really good? Or is CCU inconsistent? I personally don't know. One thing is for sure, as everybody else is saying, ASU's home advantage is no myth.

I'm going through and reading this one by one. I just got home and came across this first. In my opinion:

ASU is a good team, especially at home. Like the Rams or Colts, they seem to be a half step faster in Boone on the field turf.

CCU is inconsistent so far. We played like crap at Elon, played great against JMU, and got murdered at App. We put together a full game and we win.

JMU is a good team. They have a very good tailback and are a good team.

All three teams have the potential to be great. It's just putting it together every week. Which team will do it first?

SuperJon
September 18th, 2005, 01:59 AM
Happy Birthday to me! Apps win 30-3 Richie sits out the 4th quarter entirely.

See, I knew there was a reason we were singing happy birthday in the fourth quarter. We left the part where we said who we were singing to blank, just imagine we were singing to you.

And yes, I know you didn't hear us singing, but in the fourth quarter I went up with the Pi Kaps (I think that's how you spell it) and me, them, and the Sig Eps all started singing. We sang Bingo, Happy Birthday, Rudolph, 99 Bottles of Beer On The Wall, I Will Survive, Scotty Doesn't Know, and a buncha other stuff. We had to pass the time til the game ended. The sad thing is our singing was almost as good as our play tonight.

SuperJon
September 18th, 2005, 02:02 AM

Yes, I think Coastal as a whole still wants in. Contrary to popular belief, there are other sports besides football, and Coastal has done very well this year against the SoCon in those. We're 1-1 against the SoCon in football, both being on the road.

DotCat
September 18th, 2005, 07:58 AM
The only think CCU proved today is that they know how to take a beatdown.

Way to go App for representing the SoCon.

Saint3333
September 18th, 2005, 08:17 AM
WELCOME TO THE ROCK!

ASU didn't even have their best game as Richie had WR open and just overthrew them about 4-5 times. CCU could have played their best game possible and still walked away with a loss. Their WRs were hearing footsteps and getting hit HARD, while two to three black jersey's were in their backfield all day.

Coastal is getting better, but are at least 2-3 years away. Good luck to them the rest of the season, if they go 10-1 and some other things happen they still might be in playoff discussions.

SuperJon
September 18th, 2005, 12:32 PM
I disagree there. If Coastal would've actually showed up for the game then it would've been a very good game. We didn't block at all. We threw into double and triple coverage. We had receivers running wrong routes. I know this makes it look like we got lucky against JMU. I don't blame the ASU guys for chanting overrated because we were. However, I think the team that showed up against JMU is our actual team.

With that being said, App didn't play that great at all. They played good but not great. The penalties should have killed them. I hate your no huddle offense. Every play went right now to the very bottom of the play clock. I, personally, think if you huddled and got out that things wouldn't be so rushed but that's just me.

There was one thing I did not like. I don't mind getting beat, but when you're up 27 points in the fourth quarter, there is no use to be running reverses. I halfway expected a flea flicker and maybe a half back pass. I don't mind throwing the ball up that much, and I don't mind running to the outside, but trick plays like a reverse and junk isn't needed when you're up by that much. That's the only thing I'll complain about App.

tarmac
September 18th, 2005, 01:06 PM
"There was one thing I did not like. I don't mind getting beat, but when you're up 27 points in the fourth quarter, there is no use to be running reverses. I halfway expected a flea flicker and maybe a half back pass. I don't mind throwing the ball up that much, and I don't mind running to the outside, but trick plays like a reverse and junk isn't needed when you're up by that much. That's the only thing I'll complain about App."

You know when you are up by that much it sorta turns into practice.

SuperJon
September 18th, 2005, 01:20 PM
I realize that but I still don't like the reverse. That's why I said I don't mind the throwing and running to the outside. It was the reserves in the 4th quarter so why not throw the ball around with them. However, don't pull the trick plays. That's just my opinion.

Purple Knight
September 18th, 2005, 01:59 PM

ASU fans have few fond feelings for any I-AA program. Don't feel slighted or honored by their snub.

appst89
September 18th, 2005, 03:56 PM
ASU fans have few fond feelings for any I-AA program. Don't feel slighted or honored by their snub.

We've already addressed the mistaken impression of the JMU fan who posted that message.

asufan87
September 18th, 2005, 04:29 PM
JMU folks...have your folks call our folks. It's time to see our schools tee it up again.

JMU Duke Dog
September 18th, 2005, 04:35 PM
JMU folks...have your folks call our folks. It's time to see our schools tee it up again.

I heard rumors that the two schools were talking about scheduling games during the past spring but none of it ever materialized. JMU still has two openings for the upcoming 2006 season; however, I have heard they will be filled by games in Harrisonburg against a Division II school and a Patriot League school. 2007 is already filled with nonconference opponents in UNC, VMI, and Coastal Carolina. Maybe the two of us will play sometime down the road in the regular season after 2007. If both teams play their cards right, then maybe we'll dual in the playoffs earlier than that.

Saint3333
September 18th, 2005, 06:48 PM
When a team is up 30-3 they put in the second teamers and continue to run their offense, and the reverse is a play ASU will likely use quite a bit this year.

WUTNDITWAA
September 18th, 2005, 07:17 PM
I have heard they will be filled by games in Harrisonburg against a Division II school and a Patriot League school.

JMU has to drop those non-schollies and DII schools. It's not becoming.