PDA

View Full Version : App State Eastern Washington game thoughts

Back2theROCK!
December 1st, 2007, 02:59 PM
Now I know this has been said many many times this year by almost everyone here but after watching that game on tv I can not believe that the NCAA would employ a ref crew that makes as many mistakes as the ones did today. I'm not taking anything away for Eastern Washington because they are a great team, but I can't count how many missed calls there were today and 95% of the missed calls would have been against Eastern Washington. I love a close game but the refs should not contribute to how close the game ends up being. If you watched or get a chance to it's nearly impossible to miss the Offensive holding that was going on when Eastern Washington had the ball! Does anyone have the penatly yardage per team?

I know someone will blast me for this but I'm so frustrated I had to vent!xbangx xbangx

catbob
December 1st, 2007, 03:02 PM
Really I felt the game was pretty fairly officiated. Bad call on the final onside kick, and a pretty lame late hit call on EWU.

Holding is pretty much moot, every OL in the country does it, just depends who gets caught more.

BigApp
December 1st, 2007, 03:09 PM
Really I felt the game was pretty fairly officiated. Bad call on the final onside kick as well as the running into the kicker, and a pretty lame late hit call on EWU.

Holding is pretty much moot, every OL in the country does it, just depends who gets caught more.

fixed it xsmiley_wix

Green26
December 1st, 2007, 03:11 PM
I thought the refs blew every late hit call on the sidelines, of the 3 I saw at least. Two of them shouldn't have been called, and I wouldn't have called the third one either. The calls went against both teams.

T-Dog
December 1st, 2007, 03:12 PM
They really need to change that running into the kicker rule. Lynch was blocked into the ground and the kicker stepped back and tripped over him. It just looks like it's "if you touch the kicker, we flag you, even if if wasn't your fualt"

And what was the alum section booing on EWU's final TD? We know they were booing the refs but what were they booing them for?

JDC325
December 1st, 2007, 03:14 PM
SoCon 3-0 so far in the playoffs!!! xthumbsupx

AlphaSigMD
December 1st, 2007, 03:28 PM
Really I felt the game was pretty fairly officiated. Bad call on the final onside kick, and a pretty lame late hit call on EWU.

I guess you forgot about the late hit called on ASU 3 plays later where there wasn't even a "hit" at all. The player ran out of bounds.

AppIAA
I know I may not be in the majority, but EWU has some DIRTY players

jonmac

What was the bad call on the onside kick?

appfan2008
December 1st, 2007, 03:29 PM
They really need to change that running into the kicker rule. Lynch was blocked into the ground and the kicker stepped back and tripped over him. It just looks like it's "if you touch the kicker, we flag you, even if if wasn't your fualt"

And what was the alum section booing on EWU's final TD? We know they were booing the refs but what were they booing them for?

i moved up to the upper level in the second half and we were booing bc the reciever who caught the was out of bounds and then came back in and the ref missed it... awful call almost as bad as the lynch-kicker penalty

AlphaSigMD
December 1st, 2007, 03:32 PM
I think the unsung story of the day was our Defense.

The 1st team gave up 1 TD drive all day. (i don't consider 14 yards a "drive"). They also forced 3 turnovers. All the big plays came against the special teams, and against our 2nd-3rd team when the game was well in hand.

Hell of an outing by the defense, which is an amazing thing to say with 35 points on the board.

AppStateSVX
December 1st, 2007, 03:33 PM
yes, the defense stepped up for sure

catbob
December 1st, 2007, 03:34 PM

ASU player caught it before it went ten yards.

And yes, that late hit on ASU was pretty bogus too. Most of the late calls were bogus. Including the running into the kicker.

Why is it App fans whine about dirty players when they play BSC teams. Think about it, you are the team that has won the last two NC's, won what, 10 straight playoff games. You don't think the players are gonna get a bit of a cocky attitude? Then we come out here huge underdogs, with something to prove. That is just a combination for a lot of talking and shoving, from both sides.

AppStateSVX
December 1st, 2007, 03:36 PM
your opponent shouldn't affect your class

jonmac
December 1st, 2007, 03:37 PM

And yes, that late hit on ASU was pretty bogus too. Most of the late calls were bogus. Including the running into the kicker.

Why is it App fans whine about dirty players when they play BSC teams. Think about it, you are the team that has won the last two NC's, won what, 10 straight playoff games. You don't think the players are gonna get a bit of a cocky attitude? Then we come out here huge underdogs, with something to prove. That is just a combination for a lot of talking and shoving, from both sides.

I am seaching for the rule but I think only the kicking team has to wait for the ball to go 10 yards.
I think return team only has to stay 10 yard from ball until it is kicked.

catbob
December 1st, 2007, 03:38 PM
I agree. No one else has called EWU a dirty team all year.

catbob
December 1st, 2007, 03:38 PM
I am just going by what the announcers said, I'm not 100% on the rule.

jonmac
December 1st, 2007, 03:41 PM
It's being discusse now on ASU broadcast and our announcers are saying only the kicking team has to wait for 10 yards. I questioned the tv announcers when I heard that. Don't think it would've mattered like they were saying it would. Anyway, good game by both teams, the Mountaineers were just better and scored more points.

BigApp
December 1st, 2007, 03:41 PM

are you saying that it's against the rules for the RECEIVING team to catch it before 10 yards? If so, show us where we can find such rule.

xpeacex

catbob
December 1st, 2007, 03:43 PM
As I said, I was just going by what the announcers were saying.

But I strongly disagree that 95% of the missed calls were against EWU.

rob_p469
December 1st, 2007, 03:44 PM
I know I may not be in the majority, but EWU has some DIRTY players

Coming from and App fan, that is laughable. Your fans are as classless as your players, and I am definatly not the first to say it.

AlphaSigMD
December 1st, 2007, 03:45 PM
There isn't one. I just read the 2007 rulebook, and there is no rule that says that the receiving team cannot touch it after its kicked but before 10 yards.

Look at EWU's 1st onsides kick...if ASU had touched it when it had only gone 7 yards, then EWU would have certainly immediatly jumped on it and tried to claim it as their own.

Just because the commentators are dumb doesn't mean its a bad call.

BigApp
December 1st, 2007, 03:49 PM
xcoolx
SoCon 3-0 so far in the playoffs!!! xthumbsupx

not bad for a 'weak' conference, is it?

AlphaSigMD
December 1st, 2007, 03:49 PM
Coming from and App fan, that is laughable. Your fans are as classless as your players, and I am definatly not the first to say it.

Funny, thats vastly different from what most people say...xnodx

T-Dog
December 1st, 2007, 03:51 PM

xnonono2x

I disagree that either team played dirty. It was a hard fought game so penalties happen.

The Moody1
December 1st, 2007, 03:55 PM
As I said, I was just going by what the announcers were saying.

But I strongly disagree that 95% of the missed calls were against EWU.

That was your first mistake. xsmiley_wix I can't believe these Bozo announcers blew that one. The one guy initially called it right but let his "partner" talk him out of it.

thmst30
December 1st, 2007, 03:56 PM
OUR team is classless?!?!? We have some of the most down to earth nicest players around. Jealous hater.

The Moody1
December 1st, 2007, 03:56 PM

Is it you Marcus le Blanc?

AppStateSVX
December 1st, 2007, 03:58 PM

clearly you have the wrong ASU. We have some unruly fans, but i've seen far worse. And our players are some of the classiest in sports today

Bronco
December 1st, 2007, 03:58 PM
Good game to watch.

What was all the booing about. On Tv it just seemed that when ever EWU scored the crowd would boo. Do I have it wrong?

thmst30
December 1st, 2007, 04:01 PM
Good game to watch.

What was all the booing about. On Tv it just seemed that when ever EWU scored the crowd would boo. Do I have it wrong?
That was after the fake punt TD, because they should have never gotten a second play. Very touchy foul called.

pather
December 1st, 2007, 04:01 PM
EWU is no more dirty than any other team. i know several guys on that team and they play tough and maybe a little rough, but they arent dirty

thmst30
December 1st, 2007, 04:03 PM
I don't think they were dirty at all, nothing like the Montana St. game last year where both teams started to get out of hand.

pather
December 1st, 2007, 04:04 PM
yeah i heard bad things about that.

i cant wait to see matt alfred in the NFL. went to my HS as did two other of their players. if EWU can survive losing 4 of their 5 starting linemen they will be nuts

mtoliver
December 1st, 2007, 04:06 PM
yes, the defense stepped up for sure

amen... good to see some TFL's makes me reminisce fondly of 05 and 06... As much as i wanted to start the CHATT-A-NOOGA chant today, I held off. Can't wait to get the terriers at the rock next week..... Gonna be WIIIIIIILLDDDD in Boone next weekend...

xbowx xrotatehx xbowx

mtoliver
December 1st, 2007, 04:09 PM
That was after the fake punt TD, because they should have never gotten a second play. Very touchy foul called.

EVERYONE in the stands was FURIOUS about the running into the kicker penalty... and especially pissed when the second chance went for a TD... xoopsx

thmst30
December 1st, 2007, 04:15 PM
amen... good to see some TFL's makes me reminisce fondly of 05 and 06... As much as i wanted to start the CHATT-A-NOOGA chant today, I held off. Can't wait to get the terriers at the rock next week..... Gonna be WIIIIIIILLDDDD in Boone next weekend...

xbowx xrotatehx xbowx
Theres a chance it will be against Wofford on a Friday Night. THAT WOULD BE INCREDIBLE, a night playoff game @ The Rock against the team that beat us earlier and broke A TON of our streaks we had going. Man I hope that happens!

EdubAlum
December 1st, 2007, 04:20 PM
great game guys, good luck the rest of the way. App fans treated all us eagles very well. I'm very glad i made the trip. can't win a game with a -3 turnover margin.

there were a lot of bad calls i felt both ways. take care guys!

AppStateSVX
December 1st, 2007, 04:21 PM
thank you to all the EWU fans who came out. I respect you tremendously

Mountaineer
December 1st, 2007, 04:23 PM
thank you to all the EWU fans who came out. I respect you tremendously

Seconded! xbowx xthumbsupx

Good to see the Red across on the east side. xbowx

ERASU2113
December 1st, 2007, 04:26 PM
I knew some EWU fans were going to come, and I was honestly surprised by how many were there. Those are some diehard fans

ncman071
December 1st, 2007, 04:34 PM
just so everyone knows, when the ball is kicked, it DOES NOT have to go ten yards for the recieving team to catch the ball. only the the kickoff team has to let it go at least 10 yards before they attempt possession. the stupid announcers kept saying App was lucky when the onside kick was clearly within the rules of the game.

HaveFunKc
December 1st, 2007, 04:41 PM
I knew some EWU fans were going to come, and I was honestly surprised by how many were there. Those are some diehard fans

Great to see the Eagles fans sitting at The Rock! xthumbsupx

B&G
December 1st, 2007, 05:01 PM
Those announcers were bush league. I give them a C-. The best announce crew I have heard for an ASU TV appearance this season was the ESPNU guys who did App-WCU.

Only one guy said EWU players were dirty. Everyone else has disagreed. Before getting into mudslinging about our players and fans just consider that.

I personally thought that EWU looked like they were nervous early. They used their timeouts too soon and had a number of dropped passes on the first drive or two. I felt like a lot of times they looked like they were pressing to keep up with ASU's offense and that caused some mistakes. Just my opinion.

EWU won me over today as a classy operation. I would consider rooting for them in future playoffs if ASU weren't in the mix.

APPride
December 1st, 2007, 05:05 PM
Great to see the Eagles fans sitting at The Rock! xthumbsupx

haven't read the whole thread, but we are driving back from the game and just want to say I enjoyed meeting EDUBALUM today...he reported he was being well treated...what a great road trip for them as fans...got my respect! xthumbsupx

great job Eagles doing what it took today to keep it close! Great job Apps for improving in many areas and playing well. WOW :) :) xeekx

putter
December 1st, 2007, 05:11 PM
good game by both teams today! Too bad EWU had to mishandle that handoff and fumble. You can't give App gifts like that. Two weeks in a row the visiting team has fumbled deep in App territory. good luck in the Semi's it will be a fun game to watch on TV!!

With some of the comments form a few App fans (penalties, calls etc) It seems that they took 89Hen's comments and others that the Big Fluff is a soft conference and their games should have been blowouts. App has played two BSC teams this year and both teams gave them a game so hopefully, at least from Apps side, the BSC has made some people believers.

APPride
December 1st, 2007, 05:15 PM
good game by both teams today! Too bad EWU had to mishandle that handoff and fumble. You can't give App gifts like that. Two weeks in a row the visiting team has fumbled deep in App territory. good luck in the Semi's it will be a fun game to watch on TV!!

With some of the comments form a few App fans (penalties, calls etc) It seems that they took 89Hen's comments and others that the Big Fluff is a soft conference and their games should have been blowouts. App has played two BSC teams this year and both teams gave them a game so hopefully, at least from Apps side, the BSC has made some people believers.

I believe...but I think we controlled most this game in the way JMU did last week...

ASUPATCH
December 1st, 2007, 05:22 PM
First of much respect to those EWU fans that made the trip. Secondly and don't take this as smack but I think we were much better than EWU today and the score could have gotten out of hand easily. Batichon dropped 2 easy first down drive stoppers. Not to mention they had a kick return and fake punt TD after a terrible running into the kicker call. We also dropped 2 easy INT and one other INT that was easily catchable. Again no smack and congrats on a great season I think you just ran into a superior team.

mountaineertider
December 1st, 2007, 05:26 PM
What did everyone think of the over-celebration on that one touchdown?

I thought that was excessive and a 15 yard penalty was in store for them.

I wouldn't say the Eagles are dirty (even though it seemed like Armanti was hit late a lot). Maybe classless at times, as shown when Hans got the crap knocked out of him, the guy that hit him did a big time dance right over him. The over celebration was classless too.

CamelCityAppFan
December 1st, 2007, 06:01 PM
great game guys, good luck the rest of the way. App fans treated all us eagles very well. I'm very glad i made the trip. can't win a game with a -3 turnover margin.

Hey Edub! I talked to you before the game under the west side stands. Glad you made the trip, glad you gave us a good game. From where I sat, I thought the Eagles looked like a team that played hard and played to the whistle. I was impressed with the never-say-die attitude from the players and coaches, especially down 3 scores with 6 minutes to go. Helluva a scrap to get back to only 3 points down-- trust me, we were sweatin' it until the end.

Hope you enjoyed yourself (in spite of the loss) and have a safe trip home!

xthumbsupx xpeacex

ASUG8
December 1st, 2007, 06:08 PM
ASU special teams sucked - gave up ~ 90 yds on one kickoff return, and 80+ on another both resulting in scores. This game looks much closer on paper than it was in person, but special teams are costing us a lot of points.

On the other hand, I met probably 12 or so EW fans and thanked them for coming out and welcomed them. Very gracious bunch both pre- and post game.

mistersykes
December 1st, 2007, 06:14 PM
First off, it was an awesome game with a beautiful atmosphere today! I thought it was the perfect setting for playoff game!

I was impressed with the number of Eagle fans that made the trip! I hope that all who came to Boone enjoyed their time and will have a safe return trip! I didn't get a chance to talk to any of them, but I can only hope that those who did were very respectful.

The lower attendance (17,000, it looked like) didn't bother me. The fair-weather fans can stay at home, and I would be perfectly happy. I do expect that the semi-final game will draw a record playoff crowd (last year's semi-final game vs. YSU drew about 18 k), assuming the weather will be nice. The only bad fans that I came across were a few extremely drunk students who cursed every other word and were generally disrespectful. I have no problem with cussing usually, but when you're around kids, I think you should take it easy.

Oh yeah, and what was up with the Eagle? That was the most sedated mascot I've ever seen! All he did was stand around for the majority of the game and tap his wrist(watch) during timeouts. Get excited!xrotatehx

The game was well-played, I thought. There were bad calls that benefited both sides, but that's the nature of the game. I was very impressed with our defense. Aside from the one long drive early and the two touchdowns late in the game, EWU's special teams play was the only thing keeping the Eagles in the game. That was one of the best games the Apps have played all year. Armanti really showed his stuff both in the air and on the ground, despite many dropped passes by the Mountaineer recievers. Also, the Eagles handled themselves well, despite looking shakey early on. Nichols was impressive, and apparently he is usually even moreso. Despite the final score, however, I do feel like ASU dominated the game much like JMU did to us last week. The Eagles hopefully proved the doubters that they belong in the playoffs. I am not one of those who has been piling it on the BSC, and I think that everyone saw that both Montana and EWU were very competitive, although they both lost.

I think that's about it. You gotta love the playoffs and crowning a national champion ON THE FIELD! xthumbsupx

ab4app
December 1st, 2007, 07:42 PM
I dont think anyone played dirty in this game. Its the playoffs, one and done, I would be pissed if I was playing on the team that was getting beat and I imagine I might talk some junk, its natural. Nobody on either side showed bad sportsmanship or lack of class. It was a great game to watch, EWU is a great team, hope we meet again soon. There will always be questionable calls, we should get over it. I was proud of my apps today for the most part. EWU was real hard to put away and we never really did, thas the only thing I wish would have been different, yall fought back till the end, hold your heads up. To all of the EWU fans that made the trek, I hope yall arrive home safely, thanks for making the trip,I hope NC was accommodating for you. I would love to visit Washington state some time. Any who, thas all I gots to sayxeyebrowx

Zoo
December 1st, 2007, 07:44 PM
An excellent game, just a bundle of bad calls, but otherwise great game for Appalachian State and Eastern Washington.

Gil Dobie
December 1st, 2007, 07:46 PM
From the 3 games I watched today, EWU may be the 5th best team after the final four are decided. xthumbsupx

T-Dog
December 1st, 2007, 07:51 PM
App's attendance numbers are lowballed. They've had problems scanning the students tickets this year (printing them off of the student tickets site to accumulate loyalty points) since it's the first year they've done it.

I'd say there was 18K+ there. The stands were 19/20's filled and there was a good number of people on the hill.

ASUMountaineer
December 1st, 2007, 08:04 PM

Unfortunately, I don't care what you think. Most Appalachian fans I know, including myself, are very classy. Especially the AGS App fans.

Think, before speaking.

proasu89
December 1st, 2007, 08:48 PM
Is it you Marcus le Blanc?

xlolx points for youxlolx

Appaholic
December 1st, 2007, 09:11 PM
EWU was impressive....well-coached special teams and alot of team speed......bright future for this team.....I predict they unseat Montana for BSC title next year....

They were not DIRTY...at all....they played to the whistle and were aggressive...good for them....

Thank you to all EWU fans who came today....I hope we provided proper hospitality to you all.....

And Edub and AppMtnr....sorry I lost you guys....great to meet you, but sorry I missed you to share a beer.......I owe you guys a drink..

matfu
December 1st, 2007, 09:13 PM
app was the better team! the fumble by eastern washington at about the 3 yard line was huge.

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
December 1st, 2007, 09:16 PM
Now I know this has been said many many times this year by almost everyone here but after watching that game on tv I can not believe that the NCAA would employ a ref crew that makes as many mistakes as the ones did today. I'm not taking anything away for Eastern Washington because they are a great team, but I can't count how many missed calls there were today and 95% of the missed calls would have been against Eastern Washington. I love a close game but the refs should not contribute to how close the game ends up being. If you watched or get a chance to it's nearly impossible to miss the Offensive holding that was going on when Eastern Washington had the ball! Does anyone have the penatly yardage per team?

I know someone will blast me for this but I'm so frustrated I had to vent!xbangx xbangx

Yeah right xlolx xpeacex

appstate38
December 1st, 2007, 09:38 PM
Just got home from Boone. Glad to have held on for the win. Final thoughts, I am not sure the game should have been that close. EWU made some GREAT plays on special teams to help keep them within striking distance and the 2 scores late show that they could in fact move the ball. To be honest I was not as impressed with the QB play of Nicholls. He seemed to get rattled early on and didn't recover. It left me wondering if he just had an off day or that McNeese's defense was that bad. Don't know just wondering. All in all, thought both teams played hard and made plays when they had to. Survive and advance!!! Go Apps.

Griz40
December 1st, 2007, 10:01 PM
OUR team is classless?!?!? We have some of the most down to earth nicest players around. Jealous hater.

I don't think they were dirty at all, nothing like the Montana St. game last year where both teams started to get out of hand.

I hate to say it but Montana State in the past has had the ability to suck other teams into some poor sportsman situations. I think if you get sucked into it, that makes you part of it. The thing that reminded me most of this was when one of the App state defenders (for the life of me I can't remember his name or his number---the espn announcers noticed and commented on it too...but he is an a@@) ran in front of the EWU bench mocking the team when his team was up by 10. On the field hype and excitement is one thing but to run in front of another teams bench and be a punk is another.
That was the most classless thing I saw of this game.

Appaholic
December 1st, 2007, 10:21 PM
I hate to say it but Montana State in the past has had the ability to suck other teams into some poor sportsman situations. I think if you get sucked into it, that makes you part of it. The thing that reminded me most of this was when one of the App state defenders (for the life of me I can't remember his name or his number---the espn announcers noticed and commented on it too...but he is an a@@) ran in front of the EWU bench mocking the team when his team was up by 10. On the field hype and excitement is one thing but to run in front of another teams bench and be a punk is another.

I agree....hope our coaches "counsel" this player if it was as you say.....classless and not something I want App players to display...

Appstate29
December 1st, 2007, 10:23 PM

ask the three EWU guys we met, 10 students and three EWU alumni and we shared a beer and talked football.

Skjellyfetti
December 1st, 2007, 10:27 PM
The thing that reminded me most of this was when one of the App state defenders (for the life of me I can't remember his name or his number---the espn announcers noticed and commented on it too...but he is an a@@) ran in front of the EWU bench mocking the team when his team was up by 10. On the field hype and excitement is one thing but to run in front of another teams bench and be a punk is another.

I believe this to be pure bull. I saw nothing of the sort. Too bad you conveniently forgot name, number, and position. Perhaps if you can recall we can sort this out.

Appaholic
December 1st, 2007, 10:35 PM

Dude, you are so way off base......I'd say you are making Griz fans look bad, but I know better and you are part of that .0001% of crappy griz fans that is inherent in all fan bases.....don't disparage a fine program like Montana's by posting this crap......by the way, is your name Alex?.......xcoffeex

APPride
December 1st, 2007, 10:37 PM

skjelly, gotta tell you this did happen xsmhx ...I forgot about it till Griz just posted it...I can see this at auburn/bama, but not in a gentlemans league like FCS where your game on the field is what counts...(not the bench mocking so much as running in front of their small fan group anddoing it)

appsfan
December 1st, 2007, 10:51 PM

EdubAlum, I'm glad you made the trip. I spoke to you as I passed a few of your group under the West Stands. After passed you it hit me that you were wearing an EWU BBall jersey so I yelled back you. It is nice to pass by a Boone "celebrity":have safe travels.

appsfan
December 1st, 2007, 11:01 PM
Overall, I felt like App was pretty much in control of the game from early on. Poor special teams play and having to also beat the refs hurt our cause. It seemed like we were very close to putting EWU away a few times during the game but couldn't do it until late in the game. I have to give EWU credit because at that time many teams would have rolled over, but EWU fought back to make the score too close for my liking. This was one of the best combined defense and offense performances we have had this season. However the special teams breakdowns almost killed us. Congratulations EWU on a super season; you have a team of which you can be proud.

AppMan
December 1st, 2007, 11:17 PM
This game was 3 tackles away from being a rout. The App defense came to play today and held EW to less than 100 passing yards until the final five minutes of the game. They finished with a season low of 185 yards, 120 below their season average. On the other hand ASU's offense racked up an ASU playoff record 529 yards of total offense (308 rushing, 221 passing) of turnover free football. However, our not-so-special teams kept the Eagles in the game with poor tackling and lack of focus on execution. EW had 263 yards in return yardage. One KO was returned for a TD and another down to our 12 yard line, which resulted in a TD. As an indication just how badly our not-so-special teams played today, the Eagles finished the season ranked dead last in the Big Sky in kickoff returns. DEAD LAST! We made 'em look like they led the nation. The TD off the fake punt was disturbing since it came following their kicker falling over Cory (who was laying on the ground) to draw a roughing call. The next play our return team was completely asleep at the wheel allowing them to run untouched 51 yards for another TD. BTW, gutsy call. The officials did blow some calls and on the last TD their receiver did step out of bounds (which was the reason for all the booing), but that's football. Learn to live with it. I saw no indication of dirty play by EW's players. Some of them got a little frustrated at the end, but when a season is disappearing right before your eyes it can be tough to deal with. The Eagle fans I met were very friendly and we were glad they were able to make it to Boone. Looking forward to Richmond making the trip to ASU. Hope we can break GSU's consecutive playoff win streak. It's late, I'm tired, and I'm going to bed.

ASU Tailgaiteer
December 1st, 2007, 11:20 PM

Yeah, the announcers blew a good game call. There is no violation for a receiving team to touch the ball before it goes 10 yards, but they went off the air as if ASU caught a break for not being flagged for it.

The EWU late hit on Armanti should not have been called (but there was also a facemask call on the defense, so the mistake was only a net 10 yards.

ASU getting flagged for a late hit when Rausch was shoved down at the returners feet out of bounds and may not have even touched the runner was an obvious make up call as Wuff was working the officials hard.

The running into the kicker call on Lynch was a real game changer. Should not have been called, but it's the risk you take if you are laying at the punter's feet. (Great fake punt call by Wuff on the next play, ASU coaches should have been ready for that)

B&G
December 1st, 2007, 11:50 PM
I believe this to be pure bull. I saw nothing of the sort. Too bad you conveniently forgot name, number, and position. Perhaps if you can recall we can sort this out.

He was right. Justin Woazeah was acting like a douche. ALthough there is no telling why b/c he normally doesn't do that. Maybe someone said something to set him off. But still...

feb18blacksunday
December 2nd, 2007, 12:07 AM
Saw EDub in the parkin lot with his bb jersey on. Congrats to the fans who came to the game and I hope that they were treated with the respect that they deserve. Special teams were horrible today to say the least. Good job by the Defense.

Black and Gold Express
December 2nd, 2007, 12:20 AM
Just wanted t add here a sincere congrats to EWU's special teams unit. They played great today and kept EWU in this game. They all get gold stars in my book.

EdubAlum
December 2nd, 2007, 08:10 AM
This game was 3 tackles away from being a rout. The App defense came to play today and held EW to less than 100 passing yards until the final five minutes of the game. They finished with a season low of 185 yards, 120 below their season average. On the other hand ASU's offense racked up an ASU playoff record 529 yards of total offense (308 rushing, 221 passing) of turnover free football. However, our not-so-special teams kept the Eagles in the game with poor tackling and lack of focus on execution. EW had 263 yards in return yardage. One KO was returned for a TD and another down to our 12 yard line, which resulted in a TD. As an indication just how badly our not-so-special teams played today, the Eagles finished the season ranked dead last in the Big Sky in kickoff returns. DEAD LAST! We made 'em look like they led the nation. The TD off the fake punt was disturbing since it came following their kicker falling over Cory (who was laying on the ground) to draw a roughing call. The next play our return team was completely asleep at the wheel allowing them to run untouched 51 yards for another TD. BTW, gutsy call. The officials did blow some calls and on the last TD their receiver did step out of bounds (which was the reason for all the booing), but that's football. Learn to live with it. I saw no indication of dirty play by EW's players. Some of them got a little frustrated at the end, but when a season is disappearing right before your eyes it can be tough to deal with. The Eagle fans I met were very friendly and we were glad they were able to make it to Boone. Looking forward to Richmond making the trip to ASU. Hope we can break GSU's consecutive playoff win streak. It's late, I'm tired, and I'm going to bed.

I respectfully disagree, our special teams simply made up for our 3 turnovers. Our offense showed up, but it's tough to overcome that many turnovers. had we not turned over the ball, this would have been a much closer game most of the way, but i gotta give it to apps defense, they played very well forcing those turnovers.

EdubAlum
December 2nd, 2007, 08:11 AM
also it was nice meeting all of you! you guys have some great fans.

oh ya, and you should be furious about the length of those timeouts, really took the crowd out of the game, and i felt it took away a lot of the homefield advantage.

APPride
December 2nd, 2007, 08:56 AM

oh ya, and you should be furious about the length of those timeouts, really took the crowd out of the game, and i felt it took away a lot of the homefield advantage.

most are furious, but thats the price you pay 4 being on T.V., (they were all t.v.)...I thought it hurt momentum on both sides!

ASUPATCH
December 2nd, 2007, 09:02 AM
I respectfully disagree, our special teams simply made up for our 3 turnovers. Our offense showed up, but it's tough to overcome that many turnovers. had we not turned over the ball, this would have been a much closer game most of the way, but i gotta give it to apps defense, they played very well forcing those turnovers.

Ill have to respectfully disagree with that as well. Due to the fact that EW was lucky to only have 3 TO's. We dropped 2 really easy int's and one more difficult one. We also dropped two driving stopping third down catches (BATICHON). Not trying to talk smack and I have to utmost respect for you making the trip but the score could have been very ugly if we catch those picks and dont play our worst special teams of the year.

ASUPATCH
December 2nd, 2007, 09:04 AM
Here ill put it this way. It was the most comfortable I have felt about our team since the Michigan game. Never really eve thought w were in trouble. Again great season and keep building on this season.

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2007, 09:30 AM

This was horrrible in the SIU game too. Really helps the team behind to hang around.

argh!
December 2nd, 2007, 11:39 AM
ASU special teams sucked - gave up ~ 90 yds on one kickoff return, and 80+ on another both resulting in scores. This game looks much closer on paper than it was in person, but special teams are costing us a lot of points.

On the other hand, I met probably 12 or so EW fans and thanked them for coming out and welcomed them. Very gracious bunch both pre- and post game.

and that gives you app guys license to be... appholes. i don't know if i've ever read as much whining about the other team after a win - and i'm a griz fan, who reads the likes of rainbo all the time.

what's the point of all the whining? it only makes you look like a sore winner.

ASUMountaineer
December 2nd, 2007, 11:41 AM
Yup, we're all "appholes." Not a single good one in the bunch...argh!

argh!
December 2nd, 2007, 11:45 AM
sorry, i should have been more specific in identifying posters. it would have been... uh.... more app-propriate. still, this is a strange thread to read. it makes me think that many app fans are, underneath it all, rather insecure, given the way a few of you are trying to make a WIN seem like more of a total blowout, when it wasn't. the whole thread is stranger than.... i dunno...me? egriz? in other words, pretty damned strange.

ASUG8
December 2nd, 2007, 12:10 PM
and that gives you app guys license to be... appholes. i don't know if i've ever read as much whining about the other team after a win - and i'm a griz fan, who reads the likes of rainbo all the time.

what's the point of all the whining? it only makes you look like a sore winner.

If that was whining, I need to get my dictionary out. We won the game, I made a simple point that our special teams need work, and that's whining? I always thought whining was saying that we lost because of the refs, hostile crowd, weather, etc. I would say my post was AT MOST self deprecation that we have weaknesses on our team which have been duly noted by many of my fellow ASU posters. Do we have some defensive issues? Absolutely. Do we have special teams issues? Absolutely. Do we have a strong offensive game? Absolutely. Pointing out obvious strengths and weaknesses in your own program isn't whining. I'm hardly a sore winner - I just know that with each progression in the schedule the level of competition rises and your Achilles' heel(s) begin to become exploited.
If you're going to generalize a group of people and call them names, take it to the smack board. You guys weren't even in this game - if the EW guys have an issue with us, they can post about it all they want with some legitimacy. Calling people out in a "discussion" forum isn't the intent here, but rather to comment on the game at hand. You must have clicked the wrong forum.

rob_p469
December 2nd, 2007, 12:20 PM
xanim_chaix
Unfortunately, I don't care what you think. Most Appalachian fans I know, including myself, are very classy. Especially the AGS App fans.

Think, before speaking.

You sure know how to toot your own horn. Congrats on thinking of yourself as classy. I will have to go with the majority though and think otherwise. Perfect example, how about last year against Montana State? Not how a national champion acts. But that is just a reflection of the program and the fans. Actions, my friend, speak louder than your pathetic words.

rob_p469
December 2nd, 2007, 12:23 PM
Dude, you are so way off base......I'd say you are making Griz fans look bad, but I know better and you are part of that .0001% of crappy griz fans that is inherent in all fan bases.....don't disparage a fine program like Montana's by posting this crap......by the way, is your name Alex?.......xcoffeex

Yeah, my name is Alex, even though my screen name is rob_p469. Your intelligence is only surpassed by your ignorance.xasswhipx

thmst30
December 2nd, 2007, 12:26 PM
xanim_chaix

You sure know how to toot your own horn. Congrats on thinking of yourself as classy. I will have to go with the majority though and think otherwise. Perfect example, how about last year against Montana State? Not how a national champion acts. But that is just a reflection of the program and the fans. Actions, my friend, speak louder than your pathetic words.

Yeah, my name is Alex, even though my screen name is rob_p469. Your intelligence is only surpassed by your ignorance.xasswhipx
OK, and we're classless. The only reason your in this thread is continually blast App fans for unsupported claims. Yea that ONE game last year was ugly on BOTH sides. So obviously our entire team and every fan is a classless asshole because of that game LAST year.xrolleyesx You've only been here for less than a month and you think you can start talking crap about our team like you know all, and it has to be a fact because you said it. Honestly AGS needs to start screening new users to keep the REAL classless assholes out of here. I used to think Montana fans were classy, but just like us I guess one bad apple means your all assholes. Isn't that how it works rob?

ursus arctos horribilis
December 2nd, 2007, 12:53 PM

WTF sense do you think this makes? SOME App fans on this board are not of the quality of most of the APP fans here. So what? This gives you the right to come on the thread with no substance in your argument and start lofting bombs? STFU and stop being a douchebag.

On the discussion of the game. My viewpoint is probably skewed as some of the views from some of the App fans but there was a lot of holding from the App WR's on the outsides when Armanti was tearing some big runs. They probably didn't need to hold as Armanti is lightning disguised as a football player. Nichols did not have a good game and somehow either did Boyce until very late in the game. The same thing happened when you played NAU so I have to assume that your D is just good at shutting down those that are the producers of yards on the opponents team. The score in the end turned out right where it should have with all things being considered. Bad and good happened both ways. App had about a 10 point lead for most of the 2nd half. EWU made a run at the end and didn't give up to get it to within 3 which is pretty much what happened at Montana earlier in the year. They don't quit.

Appstate29
December 2nd, 2007, 12:57 PM
WTF sense do you think this makes? SOME App fans on this board are not of the quality of most of the APP fans here. So what? This gives you the right to come on the thread with no substance in your argument and start lofting bombs? STFU and stop being a douchebag.

On the discussion of the game. My viewpoint is probably skewed as some of the views from some of the App fans but there was a lot of holding from the App WR's on the outsides when Armanti was tearing some big runs. They probably didn't need to hold as Armanti is lightning disguised as a football player. Nichols did not have a good game and somehow either did Boyce until very late in the game. The same thing happened when you played NAU so I have to assume that your D is just good at shutting down those that are the producers of yards on the opponents team. The score in the end turned out right where it should have with all things being considered. Bad and good happened both ways. App had about a 10 point lead for most of the 2nd half. EWU made a run at the end and didn't give up to get it to within 3 which is pretty much what happened at Montana earlier in the year. They don't quit.

And with their QB and wide receivers, why should they??? Good game by both teams. I was especially proud of our defense. 14 points scored directly off special teams (kickoff return and the play of the game, ballsy fake punt), and another 7 scored off a kickoff return to the 15 or so. We played good D against a very good offensive team.

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
December 2nd, 2007, 01:59 PM
Ill have to respectfully disagree with that as well. Due to the fact that EW was lucky to only have 3 TO's. We dropped 2 really easy int's and one more difficult one. We also dropped two driving stopping third down catches (BATICHON). Not trying to talk smack and I have to utmost respect for you making the trip but the score could have been very ugly if we catch those picks and dont play our worst special teams of the year.

Wow from the looks of most of these posts you would think APP just kicked the crap out of the Eagles...this is football people it doesn't matter what MIGHT have happened. Whether or not you caught the interception it would have been a whole different game doesn't matter. The fact is you DIDN'T catch it. From the looks of the score you didn't walk all over the Eagles like many are insinuating. You can say "not to take away from the Eagles you have a great team" all you want but the fact is that's exactly what you're trying to do. I think this is the first time I've ever seen the winning team making excuses xconfusedx is it so hard to just admit a Big Sky team gave all mighty App State a run for their money????? App won, can't you just be happy with that and be humble in victory?

phillyAPP
December 2nd, 2007, 02:04 PM
Wow from the looks of most of these posts you would think APP just kicked the crap out of the Eagles...this is football people it doesn't matter what MIGHT have happened. Whether or not you caught the interception it would have been a whole different game doesn't matter. The fact is you DIDN'T catch it. From the looks of the score you didn't walk all over the Eagles like many are insinuating. You can say "not to take away from the Eagles you have a great team" all you want but the fact is that's exactly what you're trying to do. I think this is the first time I've ever seen the winning team making excuses xconfusedx is it so hard to just admit a Big Sky team gave all mighty App State a run for their money?????

I Agree. AS a matter of FACT. TWO Big Sky teams gave us all we could handle at the ROCK.They had to fly clear across the country and played until the end of the game. I thank them for coming and bringing great teams.

ASUPATCH
December 2nd, 2007, 02:08 PM
Wow from the looks of most of these posts you would think APP just kicked the crap out of the Eagles...this is football people it doesn't matter what MIGHT have happened. Whether or not you caught the interception it would have been a whole different game doesn't matter. The fact is you DIDN'T catch it. From the looks of the score you didn't walk all over the Eagles like many are insinuating. You can say "not to take away from the Eagles you have a great team" all you want but the fact is that's exactly what you're trying to do. I think this is the first time I've ever seen the winning team making excuses xconfusedx is it so hard to just admit a Big Sky team gave all mighty App State a run for their money?????

Has nothing to do with th Big Sky conference at all. But we simply were better and outplayed a team that only got within 3 after we put in backups and with :27 seconds left and had to have 2 special teams touch downs and a heck of an actor of punter to even get that close. The couldnt move the ball on us and we could do whatever we wanted to against their D. I dont care if EWU is a socon caa southland team. But they were outmatched. And by no sense did we "sneak by" like many who only saw the score have said. All I am saying is we played a great game and had the most dominate 3 point win a team can have. You will never hear me once get into the conference arguments. If you were at the game with an opened mind you would have also seen we had them well outmatched. A JMU dominated us the week before. We snuck out a win gainst them and beat EWU rather comfortably despite the score or conference affiliation.

eagle1
December 2nd, 2007, 02:13 PM
I have only read three pages of this thread so far and I am seriously sickened by the lack of class shown by Appy State fans following this game. You are some of the sorest bunch of winners that I have ever in countered in the entire FCS. Speaking of lack of class, I wasn't even going to bring up that the Appy State fans were spitting in the water cups on EWU's sidelines. Armanti Edwards is as good as advertised but your offensive line was not that good to give him that much time to throw the rock. Anthony Dotson and Greg Peach were held and even tackled on numerous plays going for the tackle. I am not hear to say that EWU was not holding and the running into the kicker was legit but it is not like EWU got a first down out of the play. We beat the Mountaineers on special teams all day. What is sad to EWU fans today is that Matt Nichols probably played his worst game of the season yesterday but I planned to come on here this morning and wish Appy State luck against Richmond not having to respond to whinning about their win. It just boggles my mind that your fans think that we have some dirtly players. Ask anyone that was directly associated with the EWU team this past weekend and they will tell you what a classy bunch of guys we were. Look in the f-ing mirror next time before you start spouting off because you are not all that. Great season EWU and way to represent the Big Sky and the brand of football that we play. Go Eagles!!!

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
December 2nd, 2007, 02:16 PM
Has nothing to do with th Big Sky conference at all. But we simply were better and outplayed a team that only got within 3 after we put in backups and with :27 seconds left and had to have 2 special teams touch downs and a heck of an actor of punter to even get that close. The couldnt move the ball on us and we could do whatever we wanted to against their D. I dont care if EWU is a socon caa southland team. But they were outmatched. And by no sense did we "sneak by" like many who only saw the score have said. All I am saying is we played a great game and had the most dominate 3 point win a team can have. You will never hear me once get into the conference arguments. If you were at the game with an opened mind you would have also seen we had them well outmatched. A JMU dominated us the week before. We snuck out a win gainst them and beat EWU rather comfortably despite the score or conference affiliation.

What exactly does two special teams touchdowns have to do with it? A touchdown is a touchdown. If the Griz had scored at least one on special teams against Wofford we would have advanced...but we DIDN'T and they won the game. And I've nver heard of a dominating 3 point win xlolx. You only won by 3 freaking points and i don't care how those points were scored or weren't scored stop acting like you completely destroyed them. As my colleague from EWU says quit being such a sore winner.xpeacex

Skjellyfetti
December 2nd, 2007, 02:16 PM
Definitely proud of our secondary and defense as a whole. Held Nichols to his lowest total of the season (185). This guy is no joke, was watching him in pregame and he has one hell of an arm. Put 451 on Montana. Great job D. Let's get ready for Richmond.

http://cmsimg.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=B0&Date=20071202&Category=SPORTS07&ArtNo=71201069&Ref=AR&Profile=1061&maxW=800&maxH=600&title=2

ASUMountaineer
December 2nd, 2007, 02:18 PM
xanim_chaix

Were you there? Was I on tv? All I did was go to the game, sit in my seat, and cheer on my team. Probably much like you would do. I don't know why you have to bash everyone. I guess I just don't understand your mentality. Sure, we have some "appholes" and guess what, so does Montana. But, I wouldn't call every Griz fan classless. Please don't call me your friend and then call my words pathetic. Like I said, and apparently you haven't comprehended, SOME fans don't reflect ALL fans. Not a classy move yourself to sign up with AGS and start bashing every App poster on here. Got it, newby?

Appdad
December 2nd, 2007, 02:21 PM
I am proud of App and proud of EWU! Their program from top to bottom did nothing but impress. They are credits to their selves, their families, their school, their state and their conference!

ASUPATCH
December 2nd, 2007, 02:26 PM
What exactly does two special teams touchdowns have to do with it? A touchdown is a touchdown. If the Griz had scored at least one on special teams against Wofford we would have advanced...but we DIDN'T and they won the game. And I've nver heard of a dominating 3 point win xlolx. You only won by 3 freaking points and i don't care how those points were scored or weren't scored stop acting like you completely destroyed them. As my colleague from EWU says quit being such a sore winner.xpeacex

Let me put it this way. We out gained them by 170 and held their QB who is very good BTW to his lowest output of the season. MY point being all season I have been waiting for our D to blow games in the 4th quarter and this is the first time in a while (outside of WCU and UTC)I felt comfortable as we were solidly outplaying the other team on both sides of the ball.

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
December 2nd, 2007, 02:27 PM
Let me put it this way. We out gained them by 170 and held their QB who is very good BTW to his lowest output of the season. MY point being all season I have been waiting for our D to blow games in the 4th quarter and this is the first time in a while (outside of WCU and UTC)I felt comfortable as we were solidly outplaying the other team on both sides of the ball.

I would honestly be more worried if my team had "dominated" another team on both sides of the ball and could only pull out a 3 point victory

ursus arctos horribilis
December 2nd, 2007, 02:28 PM

You are misguided and that's OK I guess as it's your team to view how you want to. ASU was the better team yesterday, but to say you were clearly a better team is a bit overboard. I would say that I watched the game with a more unbiased eye than you did and saw two real good teams play a close, tough game. Talking about the special teams play and discounting it as a part of the game is a little silly. it is widely recognized as one of the three facets of a game. You did not have them well outmatched as you put it, but your defense played well enough to win it which means they showed up when they needed to to stop a real sound offense. it is good however that your team was able to put in the subs with :27 seconds left. Most of the crowd looked very pensive (excluding you, I guess) at the end of the game as it WAS close.

Frosty The Snowbuff
December 2nd, 2007, 02:30 PM

There wasn't any.....

Some people "forgot" the rules and forgot that the RECEIVING team CAN touch / recover the ball BEFORE it goes 10 yards on an onside kick....

Even the idiotic annoucers got that one wrong.....

They might wanna read a rulebook sometime xreadx xreadx xreadx xreadx

Frosty The Snowbuff
December 2nd, 2007, 02:36 PM
There isn't one. I just read the 2007 rulebook, and there is no rule that says that the receiving team cannot touch it after its kicked but before 10 yards.

Look at EWU's 1st onsides kick...if ASU had touched it when it had only gone 7 yards, then EWU would have certainly immediatly jumped on it and tried to claim it as their own.

Just because the commentators are dumb doesn't mean its a bad call.

See this had already been addressed.....

My bad....carry on.xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

Mountaineer
December 2nd, 2007, 02:39 PM
Game's over, kids. Time to move on. xthumbsupx :D

Appdad
December 2nd, 2007, 02:43 PM
I would honestly be more worried if my team had "dominated" another team on both sides of the ball and could only pull out a 3 point victory

Yep, the play calling late in the game made me have flashbacks of ASU vs WCU 4 years ago! Not to mention ASU vs Wofford this year.

Our OC almost handed them the game trying to be cute. I was tempted to kick him in the butt myself!!!

BigApp
December 2nd, 2007, 02:45 PM
Speaking of lack of class, I wasn't even going to bring up that the Appy State fans were spitting in the water cups on EWU's sidelines.

do tell how that happened? As I recall, our stands are separated from the benches by a good 30 feet. Have to hock a good loogie to make it that far.

tell you what, save the fairy tales for Disney. At least their stories have some semblance of reality.

xcoffeex

jonmac
December 2nd, 2007, 02:46 PM
I have only read three pages of this thread so far and I am seriously sickened by the lack of class shown by Appy State fans following this game. You are some of the sorest bunch of winners that I have ever in countered in the entire FCS. Speaking of lack of class, I wasn't even going to bring up that the Appy State fans were spitting in the water cups on EWU's sidelines. Armanti Edwards is as good as advertised but your offensive line was not that good to give him that much time to throw the rock. Anthony Dotson and Greg Peach were held and even tackled on numerous plays going for the tackle. I am not hear to say that EWU was not holding and the running into the kicker was legit but it is not like EWU got a first down out of the play. We beat the Mountaineers on special teams all day. What is sad to EWU fans today is that Matt Nichols probably played his worst game of the season yesterday but I planned to come on here this morning and wish Appy State luck against Richmond not having to respond to whinning about their win. It just boggles my mind that your fans think that we have some dirtly players. Ask anyone that was directly associated with the EWU team this past weekend and they will tell you what a classy bunch of guys we were. Look in the f-ing mirror next time before you start spouting off because you are not all that. Great season EWU and way to represent the Big Sky and the brand of football that we play. Go Eagles!!!

Were our fans having a loogie hocking contest? With all that room with the track what the heck was EWU's water table doing that close to the stands? Did you personally witness this? If it is true then those fans should not be allowed to purchase tickets again. You did beat us on special teams that is true. Thankfully, we beat you on the offensive and defensive sides of the ball enough to win the game. Special teams play is part of the game and was well executed by the Eagles but plays like happened Saturday are not normal and are not expected but obviously should be better prepared for than we were. We, or I should say I, are not at all trying to take away anything from EWU's performance or trying to be arrogant or whiny. I am just proud that our defense was able to do so well against an offense that has put up big numbers all year. Had Nichols been on his game, which is as much a result of our defense as it was his play, we would have been in big trouble and probably not be having this conversation. And again, do no judge us all by the actions of a few. Most of us are not sore winners but we are proud to win and as just as would you, we will talk about it. I also do not care at all about which conference is better, conferences do not win championships, teams do. And we can pull for our conference all we want but when it comes down to it we would much rather see our team in another conference teams place.

eagle1
December 2nd, 2007, 02:55 PM
Thanks jonmac! I actually did witness the fans spitting in the cups of water and actions were taken to move the water tables further away from the stands. I have great respect for your program and your guys did make plays and won the offensive and defensive battles when it mattered. We turned the ball over too much and didn't create turnovers on your offense. No doubt that your defense had alot to do with the lack of offense for the Eagles but they also shot themselves in the foot with turnovers (especially the fumble in the redzone just before half). The second half might have been different if the Eags could have scored making it 14-14 at half. Congrats to the Mountaineers on a hard fought win but some of your fans need to display the class that you and a few others display following a quarterfinal game. Best of luck against the Spiders. Go Eagles!!!

BeauFoster
December 2nd, 2007, 02:56 PM

My season tix are right behind where EWU positioned one of their tables of water jugs for the first half. They stuck them right up against the wall, on the track. I can say for a fact that no one in section 10 ever thought about spitting in anyone's water. You can also ask the gentleman working security that stood directly in front of us for the entire game (they were positioned in front of every section). He can tell you the truth about that. The trainers did come and move the table out during half time, but I would assume that they did that because the players were beginning to curse (one particularly classy player turned to the crowd after a TD - directed at no one in particular - and yelled "F!ck you, b!thces") the fans and they didn't want them that close to the stands. And if you doubt that the player said that, ask the same security gentleman. He noted near the end of the game that your players didn't even want to curse us anymore, seeing as it looked like the game was in hand.

ASUPATCH
December 2nd, 2007, 03:09 PM
You are misguided and that's OK I guess as it's your team to view how you want to. ASU was the better team yesterday, but to say you were clearly a better team is a bit overboard. I would say that I watched the game with a more unbiased eye than you did and saw two real good teams play a close, tough game. Talking about the special teams play and discounting it as a part of the game is a little silly. it is widely recognized as one of the three facets of a game. You did not have them well outmatched as you put it, but your defense played well enough to win it which means they showed up when they needed to to stop a real sound offense. it is good however that your team was able to put in the subs with :27 seconds left. Most of the crowd looked very pensive (excluding you, I guess) at the end of the game as it WAS close.

Guess we will have to agree to disagree. But in my book out gaining someone by 170 yards is rather solid IMO.

eagle1
December 2nd, 2007, 03:14 PM
Dude! I was right there and yes it did happen and your security guard was the one that told our sideline about it taking place. The tables were moved because of this period. Also ask you administration about this because they were informed and were very apologetic about this happening. I am sure that the profanities did take place but I am also very sure that your fans were instigating our players with some as well. Game is over. Show some class and don't call another team classless without looking in the mirror. Go Eagles!!!

APPSTER
December 2nd, 2007, 03:28 PM

You've got nothing to be worried about..........xsmiley_wix

Appdad
December 2nd, 2007, 03:31 PM
Dude! I was right there and yes it did happen and your security guard was the one that told our sideline about it taking place. The tables were moved because of this period. Also ask you administration about this because they were informed and were very apologetic about this happening. I am sure that the profanities did take place but I am also very sure that your fans were instigating our players with some as well. Game is over. Show some class and don't call another team classless without looking in the mirror. Go Eagles!!!

Your team has nothing to apologize for. From what I hear they were proud warriors on the field and earned the respect of our players and coaches.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 2nd, 2007, 03:44 PM
Guess we will have to agree to disagree. But in my book out gaining someone by 170 yards is rather solid IMO.

And then someone out gaining you by 159 yards on kickoff returns negates you out gaining them by 170 yards on offense. So the game was as close as the game was or to use your logic on the we will have to agree to disagree let me throw in one of my own. It is what it is and excuse making should be left foe those that lose and can't handle losing very well. They dominated ASU by almost the same amount that ASU dominated them on offense.

Mountaineer
December 2nd, 2007, 03:57 PM
And then someone out gaining you by 159 yards on kickoff returns negates you out gaining them by 170 yards on offense. So the game was as close as the game was or to use your logic on the we will have to agree to disagree let me throw in one of my own. It is what it is and excuse making should be left foe those that lose and can't handle losing very well. They dominated ASU by almost the same amount that ASU dominated them on offense.

ASU was totally dominated in this game. I, along with everyone else in KBS yesterday, was terrified that the Eagles were going to blow this game wide open and send us packing. It's a miracle we were able to contain them. I was in a state of panic the entire game. Defense was a total letdown yesterday in holding EWU well below their season averages. It could've been a bloodbath!

Is that better? xsmiley_wix :p xthumbsupx

ursus arctos horribilis
December 2nd, 2007, 04:11 PM
ASU was totally dominated in this game. I, along with everyone else in KBS yesterday, was terrified that the Eagles were going to blow this game wide open and send us packing. It's a miracle we were able to contain them. I was in a state of panic the entire game. Defense was a total letdown yesterday in holding EWU well below their season averages. It could've been a bloodbath!

Is that better? xsmiley_wix :p xthumbsupx

Giving some respect to the opponent and not belittling their team and saying how it wasn't as close as it turned out probably would have kept Eagle fans and some of us other fans from correcting the slant from some App fans. Eagle fans were not belittling App for the effort it took for them to stay in the game. Same can't be said for some of the App fans. Now apparently you want to jump into the fray with a smart ass retort to my post which was pointing out that the game was close and to live with that fact. Was there something wrong with me saying that out gaining App by 159 yards on kickoff returns can go a long way negating the 170 yds. that App out gained EWU?

Mountaineer
December 2nd, 2007, 04:14 PM
Giving some respect to the opponent and not belittling...........................snip self-righteous blah blah blah.........

Nope, just trying to help you Big Sky people feel better about your teams. Is it working? :)

ursus arctos horribilis
December 2nd, 2007, 04:26 PM
Nope, just trying to help you Big Sky people feel better about your teams. Is it working? :)

Not giving you much credit for that one as you seem to be one of the App posters (at least on this thread) that are of continuing embarrassment to the other App fans that are trying to get rid of some of the lowest common denominator posters and fans acting like assholes when you won the game. It's good when you can get on here and kick some fans when they're down. You're a heckuva guy!

Mountaineer
December 2nd, 2007, 04:33 PM
Not giving you much credit for that one as you seem to be one of the App posters (at least on this thread) that are of continuing embarrassment to the other App fans that are trying to get rid of some of the lowest common denominator posters and fans acting like assholes when you won the game. It's good when you can get on here and kick some fans when they're down. You're a heckuva guy!

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/6202/lightenupfrancispm8.jpg

ursus arctos horribilis
December 2nd, 2007, 04:47 PM
Yeah I guess you're right. I'm the one that got that going, huh?

kalm
December 2nd, 2007, 05:28 PM
Apps rushing success in the first half opened up the play action pass, and Edwards made some great throws. Our DB's were biting all day. App's offense is special. I kept waiting for someone on D to make a play, and it never happened.

On the other hand, Apps secondary did a great job of shutting down our passing attack. I agree with the post that our wr's looked a little nervous with some early drops and broken off routes. But Apps defenders were awesome in coverage. They certainly contributed to Nichols having a bad game.

I felt the game really turned on Dale Morriss's fumble on the two. But our lack of scoring early on two redzone trips also hurt.

As for the special teams, that was our first KO return for a touchdown since 2001. We were due. And both teams made plays on special teams with some good returns by ASU and a blocked kick that would have had the game tied at the end.

I'm surprised to hear that - according to a couple of posts on this thread - ASU was playing its 2nd and 3rd string D late in the game. This game was not over until the onside kick. I've heard the same things said about your win against NAU. Is this really true? I can't imagine the coaches would take that risk.

I think the better team won yesterday. Good luck to ASU the rest of the way.

Appdad
December 2nd, 2007, 05:35 PM
Apps rushing success in the first half opened up the play action pass, and Edwards made some great throws. Our DB's were biting all day. App's offense is special. I kept waiting for someone on D to make a play, and it never happened.

On the other hand, Apps secondary did a great job of shutting down our passing attack. I agree with the post that our wr's looked a little nervous with some early drops and broken off routes. But Apps defenders were awesome in coverage. They certainly contributed to Nichols having a bad game.

I felt the game really turned on Dale Morriss's fumble on the two. But our lack of scoring early on two redzone trips also hurt.

As for the special teams, that was our first KO return for a touchdown since 2001. We were due. And both teams made plays on special teams with some good returns by ASU and a blocked kick that would have had the game tied at the end.

I'm surprised to hear that - according to a couple of posts on this thread - ASU was playing its 2nd and 3rd string D late in the game. This game was not over until the onside kick. I've heard the same things said about your win against NAU. Is this really true? I can't imagine the coaches would take that risk.

With only 60 player roster for playoffs we didn't have any "3rd stringers" especially on defense. (see WCU game)
We had the "second string offense" (mixture of starters and subs) in on the last 3 and out drive before your last score. We had all subs in on the last play after we recovered the onside kick.

Personally I thought that and the late play calling was "gambling with fire" to be kind.

feb18blacksunday
December 2nd, 2007, 05:38 PM
Good game, played like it should have. I'm proud of the App pass defense and relieved that EWU didn't have enough time to even up the score. Congrats to the Eagle team and its fans ;you guys just didn't give up.Thats the mark of a great football team.

feb18blacksunday
December 2nd, 2007, 05:40 PM
Personally I thought that and the late play calling was "gambling with fire" to be kind.
My sentiments exactly. We were lucky to win last week and shouldn't tempt diaster with that play calling.

phillyAPP
December 2nd, 2007, 06:07 PM

Thats nothing new for APP football. We play many of our players in most of our games. Sometimes because of injuries, sometimes to gain experience. Unless you are an APP coach,player, or players parent most of us wouldn't know why.

Either way the game came down to 3points and 28 seconds, and we know on in football AGS anything can/could happen. I am glad the EAGLES made the long trip east. I like playing in the playoffs to see how APP compares to other teams from around the country.

NAU played us hard till the very end. I do think it was closer for a longer period of time but thats old business and means nothing. In every game a couple of plays can change things. If's, and's, and BUT's--- I hate them-- They mean NOTHING just like PREDICTIONS.

Appaholic
December 2nd, 2007, 07:20 PM

Please note the number of posts by the App fans who are claiming EWU are dirty.....I don't know about the spitting in the cups (be very surprised....and disappointed), but I can assure you, after watching the game, the EWU players did not play "dirty", but were hard-nosed, aggressive, and did not quit until the whistle...

rob_p469
December 2nd, 2007, 07:20 PM
OK, and we're classless. The only reason your in this thread is continually blast App fans for unsupported claims. Yea that ONE game last year was ugly on BOTH sides. So obviously our entire team and every fan is a classless asshole because of that game LAST year.xrolleyesx You've only been here for less than a month and you think you can start talking crap about our team like you know all, and it has to be a fact because you said it. Honestly AGS needs to start screening new users to keep the REAL classless assholes out of here. I used to think Montana fans were classy, but just like us I guess one bad apple means your all assholes. Isn't that how it works rob?

Were you there? Was I on tv? All I did was go to the game, sit in my seat, and cheer on my team. Probably much like you would do. I don't know why you have to bash everyone. I guess I just don't understand your mentality. Sure, we have some "appholes" and guess what, so does Montana. But, I wouldn't call every Griz fan classless. Please don't call me your friend and then call my words pathetic. Like I said, and apparently you haven't comprehended, SOME fans don't reflect ALL fans. Not a classy move yourself to sign up with AGS and start bashing every App poster on here. Got it, newby?

I love how you justify your knowledge and your "expertise" on all situations involving football by how long you have been a member of this site. I have been to every griz game for the last 8 years, including going to 3 national championships to watch my boys win. I have watched and listened to everybody on this board pick apart Montana and the rest of the BSC. Nobody east of the mississippi watches Montana. Our brand of football is different than everyone else's, including our conference. Yet every year we are in it. We have been in 5 out of the last 12 NC games, won or shared our conference 10 years in a row, and set records for consecutive playoff appearances and attendance. I am tired of our program getting attacked. So maybe I was a little harsh in my comments about App fans. I was an idiot, you guys have a great program with a chance 3-peat. Good luck, and don't let my slip alter your view of Montana.xpeacex

ASUG8
December 2nd, 2007, 09:12 PM
It doesn't appear that any amount of positive commentary regarding EW's players or fans by an App fan is going to change some minds on here. This game was hardly a blowout and both teams experienced their fair share of mistakes and missed opportunities. I'm not going to sit here and play Monday morning QB and say "if we had caught that ball" or "if we made that interception" the circumstances would be different. The game played itself out the way that it did with us hanging on to a 3 point lead. That won't change, and any amount of complaining about the refs, fans, or anything else will not make ASU win by any more points or reverse the win into an EW win. This entire thread evolved very quickly into a smack thread, not a discussion thread and should have migrated there or been shut down with some of the personal attacks that erupted. I watched the whole game, but this thread hasn't enlightened me one bit about what occurred. I have an opinion, but it doesn't make any difference here. All I'll say is that we played a very worthy BSC team that gave us all they had Saturday and made it a good game for the record books. Thanks to those EW fans I had the opportunity to meet - not a bad one in the bunch, even the player I met and congratulated on a great season at the end was a classy guy.

AppMan
December 2nd, 2007, 09:30 PM

We scored after two of your turnovers, but you got 21 points off our pitiful special teams play. Your team was dead last in the Big Sky in KO returns, yet we made them look as though they were leading the nation. It was awful! Besides, had Jerry Moore not put the Apps in the ALLOW defense (I call it the allow defense because the only thing a prevent defense does is ALLOW the other team to go down the field and score), you guys would not have picked up all those underneath completions late to make the game close. You guys picked up 132 of your 368 total offensive yards after the 8 minute mark of the 4th quarter. We were playing a 3-4 (we NEVER play a 3-4) and our LB's were dropping 10-15 keeping everything in front of them. I'm not attempting to take anything away from your teams effort, but the game wasn't nearly as close as the score indicated. Either way I hope you enjoyed your trip to Boone.

RadMann
December 2nd, 2007, 09:40 PM
You can get highlights of all 4 games at the site below:
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3137021&categoryId=2564308&n8pe6c=1

UNH SUPERFAN
December 3rd, 2007, 09:56 AM
We scored after two of your turnovers, but you got 21 points off our pitiful special teams play. Your team was dead last in the Big Sky in KO returns, yet we made them look as though they were leading the nation. It was awful! Besides, had Jerry Moore not put the Apps in the ALLOW defense (I call it the allow defense because the only thing a prevent defense does is ALLOW the other team to go down the field and score), you guys would not have picked up all those underneath completions late to make the game close. You guys picked up 132 of your 368 total offensive yards after the 8 minute mark of the 4th quarter. We were playing a 3-4 (we NEVER play a 3-4) and our LB's were dropping 10-15 keeping everything in front of them. I'm not attempting to take anything away from your teams effort, but the game wasn't nearly as close as the score indicated. Either way I hope you enjoyed your trip to Boone.

I was amazed at ASU's poor play with their coverage units, has it been that way all year?

putter
December 3rd, 2007, 10:43 AM
Last time I checked, special teams TD's count as much as any other TD. Yards mean jack s#!t and does not mean a team was dominated. App had a 2 long TD drives which added yards to their total. EWU had a kick return for a TD, which added no yards to their total. EWU had another kick return to the 14 which added 14 yards to their total. You can use numbers any way you like for your argument. The bottom line is that App scored 3 more points than Eastern. This, in a game, where both teams squandered opportunities. Congrats App

AZGrizFan
December 3rd, 2007, 10:53 AM
This game was 3 tackles away from being a rout.

I think it's hillarious to listen to App fans talk about how "the game wasn't as close as the score indicated". Last time I checked, special teams were part of the TEAM. Their scores COUNT. Let's all ask Joe Gibbs how he feels about special teams. His Redskins didn't give up a TD all day, yet they lost on five field goals and a safety. **** happens. EWU found a way to stay in the game, and had a chance to win with 38 seconds left. No matter how they did it, the score WAS indicative of how close the game was. If that was helped by questionable coaching decisions, poor special teams play, bad calls, so what. Griz fans spent most of the season defending our games/scores by saying the games "weren't as close as the score appeared" and got crucified mercilessly for it. Can't have it both ways, fellas.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander. ASU is good. EWU is good. ASU was three points better at home. Let it go and move on.

I am now a Saluikis fan for the remainder of the playoffs. xthumbsupx

Black and Gold Express
December 3rd, 2007, 10:59 AM
putter, I know you are just trying to stick up for your conference, but EWU was dominated by ASU, plain and simple. Their special teams accounted for 14 points directly and did 90% of the work on 7 more points. Other than that, EWU's offense didn't do (to use your term) "jack s#!t" until garbage time.

On the flip side, all of ASU's scores came on sustained drives that EWU could not stop all day long. ASU did not turn the ball over either, something EWU did three times.

This was a classic game where the score was a lot closer than the game was. I give EWU all the credit in the world for making this a game when most times, a game played like this was would have been a blowout. They did not quit, but they were definitely outplayed all game long.

NC Aggie
December 3rd, 2007, 11:37 AM
I'm not taking anything away for Eastern Washington because they are a great team, but I can't count how many missed calls there were today and 95% of the missed calls would have been against Eastern Washington.

Dud....you are a bit myopic here. There were some difinitely lame calls that went against EWU......one late hit in particular that I saw.

Appdad
December 3rd, 2007, 11:38 AM
I was amazed at ASU's poor play with their coverage units, has it been that way all year?

No, this game reminded me of ASU vs WCU four years ago.

I think the limiting of the rosters caused some special teams changes that obviously didn't go as planned.

Appdad
December 3rd, 2007, 11:40 AM
Dud....you are a bit myopic here. There were some difinitely lame calls that went against EWU......one late hit in particular that I saw.

Yep, I saw that too. I guess the ref thought he was pushed too hard???

Bad call there.

MountaineerGuy
December 3rd, 2007, 11:47 AM
I agree that special teams counts and we shouldn't be discounting them. Even with their special teams though, we walked all over them for most of the game. I say most of, because at the end Jerry put in our 2nd/3rd string players. If you think Armanti and K-Rich/Devon Moore and the starting wouldn't have scored on the drive that a cold Trey Elder failed to convert, I think you're mistaken. I don't think our defense was the first string on that final drive either. I understand that the score is what matters, not who "outplayed" who, necessarily, but we had the score pretty much under control.

Keep discounting us though...it'll make it a bigger deal when we win our third straight NC ;)

lizrdgizrd
December 3rd, 2007, 11:53 AM
Great game EWU. I was in the game thread at the end of the game and everyone was saying it was over when we went up by 17. I knew there was plenty of time for you guys to pull even and you certainly came close! Great fighting down to the last ticks of the clock. xthumbsupx

NC Aggie
December 3rd, 2007, 12:02 PM

Kickoff returns: Number-Yds-TD 7-263-1 6-104-0

That stat just about evens things up. Solid special teams play by EWU then?

ASU won and deserved it - be happy with that.

ASUPATCH
December 3rd, 2007, 12:14 PM
Kickoff returns: Number-Yds-TD 7-263-1 6-104-0

That stat just about evens things up. Solid special teams play by EWU then?

ASU won and deserved it - be happy with that.

Perfectly happy with the win. Just don't agree with those stating we " snuck by" EWU.

lizrdgizrd
December 3rd, 2007, 12:37 PM
Perfectly happy with the win. Just don't agree with those stating we " snuck by" EWU.
Who cares if we snuck by or not? At this point in the season a W is the only thing worth worrying about. xnodx

AppMan
December 3rd, 2007, 10:12 PM

We have had our moments this season and poor special team play has plagued ASU the last 6-5-6 years. It was especially bad from the 2002 thru 2005 seasons. During that four year period we gave up 7, yes I said SEVEN, touchdowns on kickoff returns and 3 TD's on punt returns. TEN touchdowns given up by the kick coverage unit in FOUR years. In four short years ASU accomplished a feat most programs fail to pull off in 30 to 50 years. I'm sure you understand why this is a sore subject with me.

UNH SUPERFAN
December 4th, 2007, 07:31 AM
We have had our moments this season and poor special team play has plagued ASU the last 6-5-6 years. It was especially bad from the 2002 thru 2005 seasons. During that four year period we gave up 7, yes I said SEVEN, touchdowns on kickoff returns and 3 TD's on punt returns. TEN touchdowns given up by the kick coverage unit in FOUR years. In four short years ASU accomplished a feat most programs fail to pull off in 30 to 50 years. I'm sure you understand why this is a sore subject with me.

You've got 2 championship rings and maybe a third on the way. Don't worry too much about the kick coverage!! I was just suprised with your team speed that the kick coverage last Saturday wasn't better.

Black and Gold Express
December 4th, 2007, 07:46 AM
The roster limitations have had an effect on our kick and punt coverage units. I think a few special teams regulars had to be left off in order to me the stupid 53-man roster list, so we have some players in there that don't have the experience yet. If we are allowed 63 scholarships, why can't we take 63 players to the playoffs?

mlbowl
December 4th, 2007, 08:08 AM
the stupid 53-man roster list

Seriously, what is the purpose of that rule?

fcsfootball71
December 4th, 2007, 10:30 AM
The playoff roster is 60. 70 for the champ. game.

mlbowl
December 4th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Still...why the limited roster?...is it because of travel costs? Does the NCAA foot the bill for traveling teams?

Appdad
December 4th, 2007, 10:58 AM
It's about money. The unwritten reason is the NCAA is limiting teams that must fly to one chartered aircraft. When you add in the team, coaches, staff, school officials you are over the seating for one aircraft. If the NCAA allowed full rosters then they would have to lease more than one aircraft.

The Moody1
December 4th, 2007, 12:31 PM
If the NCAA allowed full rosters then they would have to lease more than one aircraft.

Or they could just get a bigger plane. Did you see the picture of the UD team getting off their little jet?

Appdad
December 4th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Or they could just get a bigger plane. Did you see the picture of the UD team getting off their little jet?

Bigger planes cost more money and many college area airports can't handle them. I am just telling you what I was told by a couple of AD's at the NCAA-WB regionals a couple of years ago.

Believe it or not, when it comes to non-revenue producing, to the NCAA that is, sports the NCAA is extremely cheap.

Obviously, you are welcome to have a different opinion. :)

grizbeer
December 4th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Regarding the roughing the punter call, the refs blew it - it should have been a 15 yard penalty - he made contact with the punter when the punter's kicking leg was still in the air and not established position. He didn't just brush the punter, he slid under him so when he tried to regain his footing he was taking out - textbook 15 yard roughing the punter. But like most calls in that game ASU got a gift:)

here is a little info for you boys:

It is not a foul for roughing or running into the kicker if the ball is blocked or contacted by the defensive player... At one time the rule prohibited any contact regardless of whether the kick was touched/blocked. The rules committee wanted to assure that a certain class of specialized players had protection under the rules [Kickers, Holders, Long Snappers & QB] when performing their specialized task that left them vulnerable to injury. Hence the roughing fouls.

Players blocked into the holder or kicker are not exempt from a the 15 yard rough - they have a duty to "not contact" the kicker or holder; Fore it was their (defensive players) action that brought him into the backfield close to the kicker. The blocking or "holding" as in your example does not vitiate their duty not to contact the holder/kicker.

While the kicker is in the act of kicking, he is govern the most protection under the rule. Therefore, if a player is in the area occupied by the kicker (i.e. under the leg of the kicker whose leg is extended) the defensive player has the duty to vacate the area and to avoid any contact if he (defensive player) has not touched the ball. This contact is deemed roughing. It is roughing because the kicker must be given a chance to regain his footing. While one foot is in the air he is most vulnerable.

This is one rule that does not require the official to interpret the "intent" of the player, unless it was a flagrant roughing foul which results in an ejection.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/College-Football-2792/Running-kicker-penalty.htm

carry on with your bitching, but also try to do a little research before you embarrass yourselves by booing at an obvious call.

proasu89
December 4th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Regarding the roughing the punter call, the refs blew it - it should have been a 15 yard penalty - he made contact with the punter when the punter's kicking leg was still in the air and not established position. He didn't just brush the punter, he slid under him so when he tried to regain his footing he was taking out - textbook 15 yard roughing the punter. But like most calls in that game ASU got a gift:)

carry on with your bitching, but also try to do a little research before you embarrass yourselves by booing at an obvious call.

That was some giftxlolx Wrapped up and disguised as a 50 yard fake punt TDxeekx

eagle1
December 4th, 2007, 01:49 PM
That fake punt play call was the highlight of the day for Eagle fans and it was a thing of beauty. Best of luck to the Mountaineers on Friday against the Spiders. Go Eagles!!!

CrackerRiley
December 4th, 2007, 01:58 PM
the only thing that pissed me off about the roughing the kicker call was how the kicker sees corey lynch rolling close to him so he decides to fall over. those kind of roughing the kicker/passer calls are dumb and should be changed. a kicker falling over because he was "touched" by a defender should not get the call in his favor. I think, it should be a referees judgement on whether or not he thinks the kicker could have been injured in the situation.

bench
December 4th, 2007, 02:00 PM
He didn't slide under him. He was lying on the ground beside where the punter was coming down. The punter had to take a sidestep to his right to make contact with Lynch's hand lying on the turf, and if he doesn't flop like he's playing in the Bundesliga he doesn't get the call from the back judge on the opposite side.

Appaholic
December 4th, 2007, 02:06 PM

You're right...and I wished they would have called 15-yd penalty. It would have potentially eliminated a touchdown as I lke our chances with Defense on field alot more than Punt return. But, if you saw it, surely you had to see it was ticky-tack.....although legit.....and bad calls were made against both teams. I'm not making an excuse for close score, just an observation on this particular play.....

CrackerRiley
December 4th, 2007, 02:15 PM
wait, im thoroughly confused what was the call if it wasn't a 15 roughing the kicker? IIRC it was 4th and 17 and they got the penalty making it 4th and 2 which they did the fake punt on. i guess im completely wrong though.

Kiss My Apps
December 4th, 2007, 02:23 PM
IIRC, they called it as a 5 yard penalty and EWU ran their fake on 4th and 12.

CrackerRiley
December 4th, 2007, 02:25 PM
well, i wasn't drunk. I guess i just didnt notice because I was so upset from the call in the first place and just assumed it was 15 yards.