PDA

View Full Version : Big Media gives no love to FCS

drpnut
November 30th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Read the USA Today this morning. I'm appalled that there was no story on the FCS playoffs. Nothing said about the final 8, etc. The only mention I could find was in the schedule part where it had the games/match-ups listed.

Media folks have got to know that with the screwed up mess called BCS, people really do love FCS ball. And some of us (myself) included love FCS better tha FBS.

Maybe we ought to boycott USA Today?

Any thoughts from my AGS homies?

Peace out

Gil Dobie
November 30th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Was there anything in the NY or LA Times?

I don't buy them either. ;)

Appaholic
November 30th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Read the USA Today this morning. I'm appalled that there was no story on the FCS playoffs. Nothing said about the final 8, etc. The only mention I could find was in the schedule part where it had the games/match-ups listed.

Media folks have got to know that with the screwed up mess called BCS, people really do love FCS ball. And some of us (myself) included love FCS better tha FBS.

Maybe we ought to boycott USA Today?

Any thoughts from my AGS homies?

Peace out

As with most things in life, I consider myself a 10%er......I expect no love from mass media and they do not disappoint......I am confident in the FCS product and enjoy the fact that it flies below the radar.....if the masses start liking it too much, then I get concerned......mass media is also what continues to give Paris Hilton ad reality TV a market....so the fact that mass media isn't covering FCS is, to me, an honor......fok'em and feed'em fish.....

drpnut
November 30th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Appaholic,

Good points, you always come up with some good s**t.

Appaholic
November 30th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Appaholic,

Thanks for the props.......rep points for you....xthumbsupx

CID1990
November 30th, 2007, 12:29 PM
If you buy USA Today for anything other than to wipe your ass with, you are wasting your money. Come to think of it, it doesn't remove doody all that good, either.

mountain_man
November 30th, 2007, 12:30 PM
i have grown use to it. i try to think of it like i'm part of something that is "exclusive", not "excluded".

this is the way it is, and the way it will be. not saying it's right, i'm just saying. besides, us ags and i-AA fans know how great our "world" is, and quite frankly, don't need espn, si, or the usa today to remind us of this fact.

drpnut
November 30th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Appaholic,

Another thing that p**sses me off is how so many outside of the AGS and FCS communities really could care less about what used to be 1-aa.

I want those arses to see what they are missing. It is great ball and we crown a true champion. And the teams (not all of course) pack their stadiums and the coaches pull down some decent change.

Where I live many people I talk to are clueless about FCS. I want to convert them, evangelize them, help them repent of their sins...

Holla

appmountaineer
November 30th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Appaholic,

I agree, its nice to have true fans in FCS. There are always going to be more fair weather fans in FBS and media attention plays heavily towards that.

Griz40
November 30th, 2007, 12:37 PM
As with most things in life, I consider myself a 10%er......I expect no love from mass media and they do not disappoint......I am confident in the FCS product and enjoy the fact that it flies below the radar.....if the masses start liking it too much, then I get concerned......mass media is also what continues to give Paris Hilton ad reality TV a market....so the fact that mass media isn't covering FCS is, to me, an honor......fok'em and feed'em fish.....

I absolutely agree with you.....and laughed at your last statement (although never heard that and not quite sure what you mean---but it is funny!). The only thing that I do wish is that in the playoffs there would be a little more national coverage than espn pay-per-view.

appmountaineer
November 30th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Griz 40 you're right...I wish that all the playoff games would be covered on an espn station that doesn't require buying extra cable. It would be nice for anyone who wanted to watch the playoffs could watch them easily.

drpnut
November 30th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Griz40

That is the thrust of this thread. This is our big time of year and we can't get coverage.

By the way, I'm a Wofford guy, but Montana has always been my favorite team West of the Mississippi.

You all are a great bunch of folks and we look forward to many years of friendship.

If BH leaves don't even think about our coach.

bluehenbillk
November 30th, 2007, 12:45 PM
You won't see anything in a publication outside of the teams local areas until the final.

drpnut
November 30th, 2007, 12:48 PM
bluehenbill,

For us to have no coverage is just chicken s**t

Griz40
November 30th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Griz40

That is the thrust of this thread. This is our big time of year and we can't get coverage.

By the way, I'm a Wofford guy, but Montana has always been my favorite team West of the Mississippi.

You all are a great bunch of folks and we look forward to many years of friendship.

If BH leaves don't even think about our coach.
Yeah I understand.....I for one don't care about the print media. Sports writing or otherwise. I didn't mind last week when not all were on pay-per-view. We could at least watch ONE game nationally. This weekend is a slap in the face. But that is par for the course.
I didn't get to see last weeks game (listened mostly on the internet) but my brother did and he said he was highly impressed with your team and coach as far as being a real class act. But I won't say that if Hauck leaves we won't go for Ayers! xsmiley_wix

bluehenbillk
November 30th, 2007, 12:54 PM
bluehenbill,

For us to have no coverage is just chicken s**t

Cmon drpnut, it's pretty simple, I'd like to see more or at least some coverage myself, but until more of the masses care papers that don't have any certain angle or local tie-in to the game will only use it as filler.

drpnut
November 30th, 2007, 12:58 PM
BlueHenBill,

I know, but is it wrong to hope and dream? By the way deep down I would love to see you guys again to make up for '03

RobsPics
November 30th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Whenever the issue of a playoff system vs BCS system comes up on other sports message boards, make sure to point out to them that there already is a playoff system for Division 1 football.

Monarch History
November 30th, 2007, 01:13 PM
[QUOTE=drpnut;773293]Read the USA Today this morning. I'm appalled that there was no story on the FCS playoffs. Nothing said about the final 8, etc. The only mention I could find was in the schedule part where it had the games/match-ups listed.

QUOTE]

I don't think anyone is surprised that there's little mention of the FCS playoffs. Except for the hardcores on this board, I bet few people in your community/city even know what FCS stands for.

We're going to get less coverage with limited space in the newspaper's sports section and radio/television sports. I don't like it, but unfortunatly the FBS teams are going to get most of the press.xrolleyesx

Appaholic
November 30th, 2007, 01:16 PM
I agree that lack of national coverage is ridiculous given it is playoffs. However, I can live with it as long as it is on regional television.....don't need to see Herbstriet smirking as they announce the score.......he's suck a dik....

drpnut
November 30th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Appaholic,

I have no respect for people who cannot properly pronounce Appalachian St. and Wofford.

jstate83
November 30th, 2007, 02:01 PM
It's not the teams or FCS.
It's the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Bet if the playoff's gave each school $50,000 for a 1st round win and escalate it by $25,000 each round ending with a Championship payoff of $2 million, I WILL GURANTEE YOU FCS would have to beat the media off with a stick.xlolx

It's all about money and the BIG BOY's in FBS got it all. xsmhx

drpnut
November 30th, 2007, 02:03 PM
jstate,

I know you are right. But nothing wrong with hoping and dreaming.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 30th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Let's say it's an Appalachian State/UNI final. The "giant killers" versus the No. 1 team in FCS and the team that has come oh-so-close year in and year out to winning the big one. Do you think that the national media (and USA Today) will pick up on this game? I honestly think that they would.

If ASU and UNI win this weekend, I wouldn't put it past them to talk about them in the semifinals, either.

bluehenbillk
November 30th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Let's say it's an Appalachian State/UNI final. The "giant killers" versus the No. 1 team in FCS and the team that has come oh-so-close year in and year out to winning the big one. Do you think that the national media (and USA Today) will pick up on this game? I honestly think that they would.

If ASU and UNI win this weekend, I wouldn't put it past them to talk about them in the semifinals, either.

I'm sure regardless of who is in the NC game you'll see an article in USA today about it. Right next to the D-3 NC game with another article about Mount Union. Together the 2 articles will take up half a page at most.

HiHiYikas
November 30th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Actually, UNI made the front cover of the sports section earlier in the week - with a color photo - and a writeup about all the first-round games. I was pleased USA today would run FCS coverage up front.

Eaglesrus
November 30th, 2007, 03:04 PM
And this is one of the points, though maybe not a major one, causing a good number of GSU fans to advocate a move to FBS/1-A. Some say that they would rather be the small fish in the big, prominent pond rather than vice-versa. I do wonder if they would feel the same after a string of loosing seasons, however.

dungeonjoe
November 30th, 2007, 03:08 PM
well, drpnut, does all this AGS love mean I am going to see you tomorrow night at the game?

UNICrazyleggs
November 30th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Actually, UNI made the front cover of the sports section earlier in the week - with a color photo - and a writeup about all the first-round games. I was pleased USA today would run FCS coverage up front.

This is surprising, given it took me forever on ESPN to find anything about UNI-UNH and our last minute drive. Or any FCS Playoff game for that matter.
For an analogy, we will always be the NIT and the FBS will always be the tourney, except NIT even gets media coverage, but not a lot people care...sad

The only reason we probably got coverage in USA Today is because Sagarin does his rating fro USA Today and is favorable towards FCS football.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 30th, 2007, 03:45 PM
This is surprising, given it took me forever on ESPN to find anything about UNI-UNH and our last minute drive. Or any FCS Playoff game for that matter.
For an analogy, we will always be the NIT and the FBS will always be the tourney, except NIT even gets media coverage, but not a lot people care...sad

The only reason we probably got coverage in USA Today is because Sagarin does his rating fro USA Today and is favorable towards FCS football.

Welcome - and if you want the best FCS recaps in the business look at CSTV (http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/cs-m-footbl-more-body.html) and CollegeSportingNews (http://www.collegesportingnews.com/)... xthumbsupx