PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League - Returning Starters

carney2
November 29th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Went to a basketball game. It just doesn't cut it. I miss football already.

Anyway, here are the total returning starters on offense and defense for each PL team based on the lineups for the final regular season game of the season.* Although these statistics do not take into account the quality of some of the departing seniors (Mike Gallihugh, Casey Gough and Kyle Sprenkle, to name a few), it does not appear that anyone will be entering 2008 with a bare cupboard.

Bucknell: 6 Offense + 9 Defense = 15

Colgate: 9 Offense + 7 Defense = 16

Fordham: 8 Offense + 8 Defense = 16

Georgetown: 7 Offense + 9 Defense = 16

Holy Cross: 8 Offense + 6 Defense = 14

Lafayette: 8 Offense + 6 Defense = 14

Lehigh: 8 Offense + 5 Defense = 13

Before I receive a mass pecking from RichH, LFN, ngineer and the rest of the Squawk flock, be aware that this is based solely on the lineups for the final regular season game of the year. It does not consider that "Scmidlap started a game or two at linebacker, but I can't remember which ones," or "Crummy started the State U. game." This may or may not agree with what will eventually be reported to the League and posted on the PL website.

Pards Rule
November 29th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Rob Curley returns!!

ngineer
November 29th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Understood; but by my reasoning, we really have 7 returning on defense. For one thing several positions were 'rotating' so whether one played the first couple snaps is irrelevant.
While some say we lose the entire secondary (4), in reality I see us returning two starters: Van Ackeran (FS) and Carter (CB). By the end of the year they were out there more than the original 'starters'. Four of five LB's return: Diamond(Jr), Cohen (So), Brickner (So), Pierce (So) [although I will grant that Gasaway, Stinson, and Campion, all seniors, started as well--again the rotation thing.]
Of the front three only Adams departs. Bode(Jr), Winnett (Fr) return, but so does Jackson (Jr)and Benning (Jr)--again rotation.
On offense, the only area where we will have alot of attention will be QB. Spring ball should be the most interesting in a long, long time as far as that position is concerned. A total wide-open competition.
The OL should be in good shape losing only 2 (Reese at center, and Kehs at RT). Supposedly Frosh Ricky Clerge was already impressing as Reese's backup in case of injury which never happened. There is also some speculation that supersized Chuck Braillier could move over from DL due to the impressive play of Frosh Winnett at NT. Braillier at 330 could provide a real wedge alongside Jr. Bayani 300.
With a logjam in the backfield the competition should be fierce for starting roles there. Good number of WRs return--plus the possibility of Donchez getting a medical redshirt...His absence this year was a significant factor in the passing game not being up to snuff. He and Threatt spent the whole summer working together and never got to get in gear.
All in all, I think the Mountain Hawks should be in very good stead come August...However, I also recognize that as Carney has shown, above, that so is most everyone else. Another wide open affair to be expected.xrotatehx

PLLB
November 29th, 2007, 10:25 PM
gate will have 4 starters on the OL returning. Scott at TB every FB who played returning. Gate will also get back Dillingham who was injured in the preseason and did not play this year. He has started since his freshman year (6-6 265). Simonds is back he was absolutley robbed in not getting all-league. the qb is back as well.

LehighFan11
November 29th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Understood; but by my reasoning, we really have 7 returning on defense. For one thing several positions were 'rotating' so whether one played the first couple snaps is irrelevant.
While some say we lose the entire secondary (4), in reality I see us returning two starters: Van Ackeran (FS) and Carter (CB). By the end of the year they were out there more than the original 'starters'. Four of five LB's return: Diamond(Jr), Cohen (So), Brickner (So), Pierce (So) [although I will grant that Gasaway, Stinson, and Campion, all seniors, started as well--again the rotation thing.]
Of the front three only Adams departs. Bode(Jr), Winnett (Fr) return, but so does Jackson (Jr)and Benning (Jr)--again rotation.
On offense, the only area where we will have alot of attention will be QB. Spring ball should be the most interesting in a long, long time as far as that position is concerned. A total wide-open competition.
The OL should be in good shape losing only 2 (Reese at center, and Kehs at RT). Supposedly Frosh Ricky Clerge was already impressing as Reese's backup in case of injury which never happened. There is also some speculation that supersized Chuck Braillier could move over from DL due to the impressive play of Frosh Winnett at NT. Braillier at 330 could provide a real wedge alongside Jr. Bayani 300.
With a logjam in the backfield the competition should be fierce for starting roles there. Good number of WRs return--plus the possibility of Donchez getting a medical redshirt...His absence this year was a significant factor in the passing game not being up to snuff. He and Threatt spent the whole summer working together and never got to get in gear.
All in all, I think the Mountain Hawks should be in very good stead come August...However, I also recognize that as Carney has shown, above, that so is most everyone else. Another wide open affair to be expected.xrotatehx

I'm not so sure i would agree with the use of "very" and "good" in the same sentence regarding Lehigh next year.

letsgopards04
November 30th, 2007, 07:55 AM
With all the running backs healthy and the QB situation hopefully decided now, the Lafayette offense should be ready to keep up with the No. 1 defense (in terms of yds allowed per game) in FCS.

Pards Rule
November 30th, 2007, 07:59 AM
YES!! Andy Romans is a beast!!

PLLB
November 30th, 2007, 08:48 AM
With all the running backs healthy and the QB situation hopefully decided now, the Lafayette offense should be ready to keep up with the No. 1 defense (in terms of yds allowed per game) in FCS.

How did that defense do when they faced a quality offense.

Pards Rule
November 30th, 2007, 04:50 PM
****** damn well against Holy Cross

Lehigh74
December 2nd, 2007, 01:52 PM
Rob Curley returns!!

He certainly impressed me. He has poise, can run when he needs to and is an accurate passer.