PDA

View Full Version : Wofford is respected

woffordgrad94
November 29th, 2007, 05:07 PM
I think the old song and dance about Wofford getting no respect has been played out now. One only has to read this board to see just how much people in the SoCon especially, but really throughout the nation respect Wofford's football program. The win at Montana brought a few more on board the erspect Wofford train, but a lot of people thought Woffordf was going to win that game before it was played anyway. When Wofford first entered D-1 and the SoCon, people thought it was a complete joke, I'll grant you that. I had very deep doubts myself that we could ever compete with the Georgia Southerns, App. States and Furmans of the world. But times are different now. Mike Ayers and the Terriers have proven otherwise to everyone. I really don't think there are any doubters left now (well, except for our friend Alexale, who thinks "The Waffle will be eaten"xrolleyesx But many Montana fans were very apprehensive about palying us, and their fears turned out to be quite worthy ones. Teams that once begged the SoCon not to let us in the conference now tell us how proud they are to be in a conference with us. It really is time for Wofford to stop playing the "no respect" card, because it has little to no basis in reality anymore. People might not pick us to win every game, but just because you pick a team to lose a particular game does not mean you have "no respect" for that team. I mean, no one wins every game. I know we like being the "little underdogs" and Wofford fans point to how we thrive on "being doubted". Actually we thrive on some young men who give it there all and are lead by a fantastic coach, not what anyone might think of us. But the bottom line is that the respect many in the Wofford community have longed for has finally been earned. You might look at the playoff commitee and say they dissed us, but I really don't think they purposely singled out Wofford- someone had to go to Montana, and, well, we did have 3 losses, despite having a share of the SoCon championship, and I can see an argument for saying our credentials were among the weakest in the field of 16. I don't think you can simply chalk up our trip to Montana to just complete and blatant disrespect.

catbob
November 29th, 2007, 05:25 PM
I don't see how beating Montana won any respect, as this entire board spent all year spewing how overrated they were and that they played nothing but cupcakes.

I mean I honestly felt, from reading this board, that Montana was the underdog.

mlbowl
November 29th, 2007, 05:33 PM
I don't see how beating Montana won any respect, as this entire board spent all year spewing how overrated they were and that they played nothing but cupcakes.

xnodx xnodx xnodx

Cleets
November 29th, 2007, 05:53 PM

Exactly...
Montana is the most over-rated gawd-awful program in all of organized athletics..
beating them means nothing...
My sisters flag football team could beat them

GreatAppSt
November 29th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Exactly...

With both hands and one leg tied behind there backs, and the good leg in wrapped in a potato sack. xnodx them griz is jus sorry!xbawlingx :D

L'il Grizzly Girlie
November 29th, 2007, 06:28 PM
You guys REALLY think the Griz were that bad? I'm hurt! By the way little brother, we respect you. We wanted you to have fun and have a good time in Montana, but you weren't supposed to actually win the game!

ASUG8
November 29th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Never underestimate the little guys:

Davidson college basketball
WoCo
Furman
Wake Forest - football/basketball (homer here)
Duke basketball (don't talk football)

The bad thing is, Duke is like the University of Phoenix enrollment-wise compared to the rest of these guys. Yet they all somehow manage to field good teams and excel academically. I think 10-12% of WoCo's student body plays football, hence the small turnout for games. If you're winning, who cares?

woffordgrad94
November 29th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Duke football...is there a bigger joke in the world?

ASUG8
November 29th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Duke football...is there a bigger joke in the world?

There used to be Northwestern, but I think Duke football snatched defeat from the jaws of victory and overtook the crown of the "biggest loser".

woffordgrad94
November 29th, 2007, 07:17 PM
It's funny you should say that...Duke's one and only victory the past two seasons was at Northwestern, 20-14 early this season. Duke tried to let NW win, but they just wouldn't take it! I, for some reason, watched the end of this game on Big 10 Network. Despite losing to Duke, though, I think NW ended up with like 6 wins this year. So Duke is still is much worse shape right now.

AppStateold299
November 29th, 2007, 07:17 PM

Yes, I do think Montana was overrated, but everyone can agree that Montana is a hard place to play & win.

ASUG8
November 29th, 2007, 07:26 PM
It's funny you should say that...Duke's one and only victory the past two seasons was at Northwestern, 20-14 early this season. Duke tried to let NW win, but they just wouldn't take it! I, for some reason, watched the end of this game on Big 10 Network. Despite losing to Duke, though, I think NW ended up with like 6 wins this year. So Duke is still is much worse shape right now.

I though Duke took over the most consecutive losses from Northwestern at some point over the last season or so. The ironic thing is that last year when Wake won the ACC and went to the Orange bowl, they had to block a Duke field goal at the last second to hold on to a 14-13 win. Nobody else came close.

DuckDuckGriz
November 29th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Ok guys so did Wofford win because they are good or because Montana is overrated xrolleyesx

Bobcat fans like to pick and choose their answer depending on the subject. It's pretty funny/sad to watch.

Rowdy
November 29th, 2007, 07:28 PM
If there is a purpose to this thread, I must have missed it.

woffordgrad94
November 29th, 2007, 07:45 PM
A lot of these threads don't have purposes except to talk with others online about something.. everything in life doesn't need to have some great "purpose" behind it.

ASUG8
November 29th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Ok guys so did Wofford win because they are good or because Montana is overrated xrolleyesx

Bobcat fans like to pick and choose their answer depending on the subject. It's pretty funny/sad to watch.

My take -
Montana really wasn't tested much all season with the exception of EW and Portland State. They had some other close calls, but always managed to pull out of them. Wofford on the other hand played three ranked teams back to back to back (App, Furman, Citadel. all W's) then lost 2 of their last four to other ranked teams (Elon, GSU). They didn't even get a bye week in there unless you count the Gardner Webb game. Needless to say, they were beaten up pretty badly coming into their end of season bye week, and they needed the break to win at Wa/Griz. The point of all this is that Wofford had the battle testing they needed to beat a good Griz team, and I believe move another slot in the bracket this Saturday. Not taking away from Montana, but if you played Woff's schedule this year it would be tough to go 11-0 - could happen, but you'd be pretty banged up. The Terriers are tough.

blukeys
November 29th, 2007, 07:56 PM
I'm not sure why anyone questions Wofford getting respect? I saw the 2003 version and they were very disciplined, well coached, athletic and made few mistakes. Maybe Wofford fans get off on a "Little old Wofford" routine but I have not seen any lack of respect for what is a very solid program. I was not surprised by their win because it is very difficult to adjust to Wofford's offense with only a week to prepare. I think their QB is better than the 2003 version.

DTSpider
November 29th, 2007, 10:17 PM
If Wofford isn't respected, just think how Richmond must feel with 70% of the people here picking Wofford to win on Saturday.

ASUG8
November 29th, 2007, 10:59 PM
It will be a game for sure. I know nothing about the Spiders, but they are where they are for a reason. I hope the Terriers give them a game.

Proud Griz Man
November 29th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Maybe one of you knowledgeable FCS fans or talented FCS journalist should walk up to Wofford head coach Ayers and say "its a good thing Montana played a cupcake schedule this year so that you could hang with them and squeek out a 1-point win."

Try it.
xnodx

Please get back to me, with a detailed summary of Coach Ayers' response.
xnodx

Cleets
November 29th, 2007, 11:15 PM

Wofford sucks balls..
any team that requires Montana to "Miss a fieldgoal" to win by one point... plain and simple "sucks"

xlolx

Eyes of Old Main
November 29th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Maybe one of you knowledgeable FCS fans or talented FCS journalist should walk up to Wofford head coach Ayers and say "its a good thing Montana played a cupcake schedule this year so that you could hang with them and squeek out a 1-point win."

Try it.
xnodx

Please get back to me, with a detailed summary of Coach Ayers' response.
xnodx

That, my friend, would be a VERY interesting response.

DuckDuckGriz
November 30th, 2007, 02:10 AM
My take -
Montana really wasn't tested much all season with the exception of EW and Portland State. They had some other close calls, but always managed to pull out of them. Wofford on the other hand played three ranked teams back to back to back (App, Furman, Citadel. all W's) then lost 2 of their last four to other ranked teams (Elon, GSU). They didn't even get a bye week in there unless you count the Gardner Webb game. Needless to say, they were beaten up pretty badly coming into their end of season bye week, and they needed the break to win at Wa/Griz. The point of all this is that Wofford had the battle testing they needed to beat a good Griz team, and I believe move another slot in the bracket this Saturday. Not taking away from Montana, but if you played Woff's schedule this year it would be tough to go 11-0 - could happen, but you'd be pretty banged up. The Terriers are tough.

I understand that. However, also take into consideration the obvious distractions Montana was facing off-the-field and that they lost their top wide receiver Ryan Bagley with a broken arm. This by NO means an excuse (Bagley doesn't play run D!) that we lost to Wofford - just that Montana's trek to 11-0 wasn't quite a cupcake regardless of who they played.

ASUG8
November 30th, 2007, 06:23 AM
I understand that. However, also take into consideration the obvious distractions Montana was facing off-the-field and that they lost their top wide receiver Ryan Bagley with a broken arm. This by NO means an excuse (Bagley doesn't play run D!) that we lost to Wofford - just that Montana's trek to 11-0 wasn't quite a cupcake regardless of who they played.

I don't think I said cupcake anywhere in my post, I just think that Wofford's road to Missoula was a bit more challenging than many know. Wofford may not have had the same off field distractions, but they made up for it in being generally banged up from not having their bye week until the final week of the season.

OL FU
November 30th, 2007, 06:50 AM
I'm not sure why anyone questions Wofford getting respect? I saw the 2003 version and they were very disciplined, well coached, athletic and made few mistakes. Maybe Wofford fans get off on a "Little old Wofford" routine but I have not seen any lack of respect for what is a very solid program. I was not surprised by their win because it is very difficult to adjust to Wofford's offense with only a week to prepare. I think their QB is better than the 2003 version.

Deep down inside Woffies like their inferiority complex. It is a motivational thingxnodx

The only thing inferior about Wofford is that it resides in Spartanburgxlolx :o

terrierbob
November 30th, 2007, 08:03 AM
Deep down inside Woffies like their inferiority complex. It is a motivational thingxnodx

The only thing inferior about Wofford is that it resides in Spartanburgxlolx :o

I grew up in Spartanburg and we always had a St.Paul/Minneapolis, Ft. Worth/Dallas complex. I think now the 'burg understands it's a nice small city and tries not to be an "urban complex".

rob_p469
November 30th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Exactly...
Montana is the most over-rated gawd-awful program in all of organized athletics..
beating them means nothing...

Jealousy is a stinky colognexlolx xlolx

OL FU
November 30th, 2007, 08:51 AM
I grew up in Spartanburg and we always had a St.Paul/Minneapolis, Ft. Worth/Dallas complex. I think now the 'burg understands it's a nice small city and tries not to be an "urban complex".

I, by no means, consider a Greenville a large metro area, but a Spartanburg friend of mine once told me, "Greenville is steak and Spartanburg is hamburger and it sucks":)

woffordgrad94
November 30th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Spartanburg and Greenville have kind of grown together now. Just look at the traffic on i-85 in and between the two! I kind of like to consider Greenville, Spartanburg, and all of the smaller towns and communities around and between them one big city! :)

terrierbob
November 30th, 2007, 09:24 AM
I, by no means, consider a Greenville a large metro area, but a Spartanburg friend of mine once told me, "Greenville is steak and Spartanburg is hamburger and it sucks":)

Then he's a traitor to the Spartans!

tdoggs22
November 30th, 2007, 09:44 AM
i understand your point of view concerning Wofford's growing popularity among the FCS community. However, this board (including myself) expresses a completely bias opinion in regards to FCS football. How much respect did Wofford get in the selection show with ESPN...NONE!

Your argument is justified in the realm of the AGS forum, but the overall perspective from the "average" college football fan towards Wofford College is...... "Wofford who?"

I was at asports bar in Kentucky a few weeks ago, and i overheard a few West. Ky. Univ. football players talking as the nightly scores ran across the bottom of ESPN's coverage. Granted, these guys were young as they were red-shirts and not attending their own game, but one commented as the Wofford score came up, "Woooooford, what kind of program is Woooooford football?"

I turned to him and and replied, "i think you guys played Wofford a few years back in the playoffs," as they were wearing WKU Football attire, "They beat you all pretty good if i remember right."

His final statement was, "Oh, that must have been a fluke."

That is the highest level of disrespect one can portray. If a collegiate student-athlete can have such an opinion towards WOCO, I highly doubt many others grant us the respect we deserve. I feel we deserve the national respect of other 1-AA powers such as App. State and Montana, but I guess that comes with tradition. Maybe the future will grant us that spotlight.

drpnut
November 30th, 2007, 12:25 PM
When we bring it all home from Chatty, people will have to acknowledge the biting of the short-haired dogs!!

ASUG8
November 30th, 2007, 01:13 PM
That is the highest level of disrespect one can portray. If a collegiate student-athlete can have such an opinion towards WOCO, I highly doubt many others grant us the respect we deserve. I feel we deserve the national respect of other 1-AA powers such as App. State and Montana, but I guess that comes with tradition. Maybe the future will grant us that spotlight.

I think you're correct that WoCo deserves better, but I think it will come with a demonstrated perennial prescence in the playoffs. Hell, with 2 NC's under our belt, it took the Michigan win for people to learn how to pronounce Appalachian and acknowledge that a town like Boone exists. It will come, Terriers - you know you have it on this board.

millwoga1
November 30th, 2007, 01:39 PM
The only respect I want(which I haven't seen) is from the selection comittee!

drpnut
November 30th, 2007, 02:06 PM
I've even heard Coach Ayers allude to the fact that until the mindset of the "Committee" changes the only way he will feel safe about getting into the playoff is by winning the auto-bid.

I believe Coach will always be able to motivate people, and Wofford will compete year in, year out. We have had a great last 6 years and I believe the next 6-10 are bright. Then we will have a long tradition on our side.

OL FU
November 30th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Then he's a traitor to the Spartans!

Or an honest manxlolx

srgrizizen
November 30th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Hey, who says the Griz were overrated? If Wofford wins it all, then UM was the second best team in the country and underrated with the #3 seed! Go Terriers!xlolx xlolx

BTW, great original post, Woffordgrad94. Nobody I know around Missoula thought Wofford would be anything but tough.

FCS Go!
November 30th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Several here have nailed the issue, Wofford is a small school with few alumni. I've only seen one person ever wearing Wofford gear in person. With continued playoff success Wofford will get more respect in the FCS world but national name recognition may never come, unless you beat a good SEC team and even then it will probably be fleeting.

Grizo406
November 30th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Wofford may not have had the same off field distractions, but they made up for it in being generally banged up from not having their bye week until the final week of the season.

Banged up or not, Wofford could have played in Heaven last Saturday, and I believe they would have won that game too!

They didn't play in Heaven, they played in a place almost as good, and probably just as pretty. The Terriers came into the game with their heads held high, and left the same way.

A very classy football program that I wish nothing but the best for!

OL FU
December 3rd, 2007, 07:12 AM
Several here have nailed the issue, Wofford is a small school with few alumni. I've only seen one person ever wearing Wofford gear in person. With continued playoff success Wofford will get more respect in the FCS world but national name recognition may never come, unless you beat a good SEC team and even then it will probably be fleeting.

xeyebrowx Funny, Around here I see Wofford gearxnodx:p