PDA

View Full Version : Payton Award??? Josh Johnson getting Heisman votes!

The Tank
November 29th, 2007, 12:44 PM
That's right!

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20071129/news_1s29canepa.html

On the ballot, voters are asked for their first, second and third choices. Ironically (maybe not), my 2 and 3 picks are the same as they were a year ago – Arkansas tailback Darren McFadden and USD quarterback Josh Johnson.

Johnson? Well, he may play for a nonscholarship school, but he could start on dozens of the 119 Division I-A teams. His numbers are staggering. He rushed 101 times for 726 yards and two scores (an 89-yard run was in there). He completed 206-of-301 passes for 2,988 yards and 43 touchdowns. Oh, yes. He threw one – that's one – interception. His efficiency rating was a NASA 198.30. That's 20 points higher than Tebow's.

He's no small-school guy, Johnson. The weekend the Chargers were home to play Oakland, General Manager A.J. Smith sneaked in to watch Johnson and USD play Drake.

“I thought I was going incognito, but then I ran into (USD defensive coordinator) Dave Adolph and blew my cover,” Smith says. “I won't give you a round when this kid will be drafted, but he's of real interest. I was very impressed with his physical tools and he has totally dominated. He's a legitimate prospect.”

See?

UNHWildCats
November 29th, 2007, 01:38 PM
tell us when its not a homer casting the vote for Johnson

CCU97
November 29th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Not only that but for one minute do you think his numbers would be nearly as good if he had played anyone? Just because he does well at USD doesn't mean he has what it takes to play at another level....

DetroitFlyer
November 29th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Yep, all those NFL scouts that have watched JJ play are probably no good at judging NFL talent! JJ is going to win the Payton, he is getting Heisman votes, and he will be drafted by the NFL! Lot's of "JJ Envy" out there in the world of FCS....

Congratulations to JJ once again! All of the attention is he getting, he has earned! I just cannot wait until he collects the Payton to hear the whining begin here!

FCS Preview
November 29th, 2007, 02:10 PM
...he could start on dozens of the 119 Division I-A teams....

Which also means he would not be a starter on dozens. Let's say by "dozens" the author means 5 dozen. That's 60 schools.

...but that also means there are at least 59 QB better than him, that would start ahead of him...

And he gets a vote for the Heisman? Puh-leeze.

GOTOREROS
November 29th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Which also means he would not be a starter on dozens. Let's say by "dozens" the author means 5 dozen. That's 60 schools.

...but that also means there are at least 59 QB better than him, that would start ahead of him...

And he gets a vote for the Heisman? Puh-leeze.

Well I think most people with the NFL would disagree with your assessment.....but hey I am sure you know more than most draft experts and GM's.... PUH-LEEZE.

Top 15 Senior QB Prospects in 2008 NFL Draft
Prospect School Height Weight Speed
1. Brian Brohm Louisville 6-3 225 4.78
2. Chad Henne Michigan 6-2 225 4.80
3. Andre Woodson Kentucky 6-4 219 4.84
4. Colt Brennan Hawaii 6-2 1/2 190 4.75
5. Matt Ryan Boston College 6-4 5/8 221 4.80
6. John David Booty USC 6-2 1/2 210 4.95
7. Sam Keller Nebraska 6-3 7/8 231 4.90
8. Erik Ainge Tennessee 6-5 1/4 214 5.00
9. Joshua Johnson San Diego 6-2 1/4 195 4.64
10. Matt Flynn LSU 6-1 5/8 225 4.64
11. Anthony Morelli Penn State 6-4 219 4.90
12. Paul Smith Tulsa 6-0 7/8 198 4.90
13. Kyle Wright Miami (Fla.) 6-4 219 4.90
14. Richard Santos New Hampshire 6-1 215 5.00
15. Dennis Dixon Oregon 6-3 1/2 195 4.60

FCS Preview
November 29th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Well I think most people with the NFL would disagree with your assessment.....but hey I am sure you know more than most draft experts and GM's.... PUH-LEEZE.

Top 15 Senior QB Prospects in 2008 NFL Draft
Prospect School Height Weight Speed
1. Brian Brohm Louisville 6-3 225 4.78
2. Chad Henne Michigan 6-2 225 4.80
3. Andre Woodson Kentucky 6-4 219 4.84
4. Colt Brennan Hawaii 6-2 1/2 190 4.75
5. Matt Ryan Boston College 6-4 5/8 221 4.80
6. John David Booty USC 6-2 1/2 210 4.95
7. Sam Keller Nebraska 6-3 7/8 231 4.90
8. Erik Ainge Tennessee 6-5 1/4 214 5.00
9. Joshua Johnson San Diego 6-2 1/4 195 4.64
10. Matt Flynn LSU 6-1 5/8 225 4.64
11. Anthony Morelli Penn State 6-4 219 4.90
12. Paul Smith Tulsa 6-0 7/8 198 4.90
13. Kyle Wright Miami (Fla.) 6-4 219 4.90
14. Richard Santos New Hampshire 6-1 215 5.00
15. Dennis Dixon Oregon 6-3 1/2 195 4.60

So why not vote any of those 8 other QBs as the Heisman? Even in this ranking system he's not one of the Top 3 QBs...and that doesn't include WR and RB for the Heisman.

ChickenMan
November 29th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Yep, all those NFL scouts that have watched JJ play are probably no good at judging NFL talent! JJ is going to win the Payton, he is getting Heisman votes, and he will be drafted by the NFL! Lot's of "JJ Envy" out there in the world of FCS....

Congratulations to JJ once again! All of the attention is he getting, he has earned! I just cannot wait until he collects the Payton to hear the whining begin here!

Have you ever seen Jayson Foster play??? I have and he is amazing. I have also seen Johnson play and while he is a great talent.. Foster is in another class as a 'college' playmaker. I know UD is going to have a difficult time replacing Joe Flacco.. but Jayson Foster will be impossible to replace at GSU. Foster should win the award.. in a landslide.

Squealofthepig
November 29th, 2007, 02:21 PM

No one is saying Johnson is bad, or that he won't be drafted.

We're just pointing out the blatantly obvious fact that this was written by a homer. This has no more impact on any of us than, say, a Phillip Morris spokesperson telling us that smoking doesn't cause cancer.

Squealofthepig
November 29th, 2007, 02:23 PM
So why not vote any of those 8 other QBs as the Heisman? Even in this ranking system he's not one of the Top 3 QBs...and that doesn't include WR and RB for the Heisman.

...also doesn't include underclassmen who have not declared themselves, which is another huge pocket of talent.

GannonFan
November 29th, 2007, 02:24 PM

Have you ever seen Jayson Foster play??? I have and he is amazing. I have also seen Johnson play and while he is a great talent.. Foster is in another class as a 'college' playmaker. I know UD is going to have a difficult time replacing Joe Flacco.. but Jayson Foster will be impossible to replace at GSU. Foster should win the award.. in a landslide.

Agreed - the only whining will be from the DF's of the world when Foster wins this thing going away. It's a shame to bother the other two guys with even going to Chatty in the first place when Foster is, perhaps, the lock of the century.

UNHFan99
November 29th, 2007, 03:12 PM
I would be suprised if JJ wins the payton. Ricky got a heisman vote last year. JJ is a legit prospect, but all that can change real fast with something as small as a wonderlick score. Or he can become a bigger prospect if he has a good workout. There is still alot of time before the draft boards are made up for NFL scouts. Congrats to him but things fall apart fast for most prospects. I talked to a steelers scout who was at the UNH- Maine game and he was talking about Ricky compared to other FCS qb's. The way he described it was Flacco is a physical speciman with an unreal arm that has matured as a qb this last year as much as anyone can. Ricky makes the right throws almost 99% of the time and that 1 out of every 6 plays he does something noone else in the country can do out of nothing. I asked him about JJ. He said he hasnt scouted him because he is out west, but said he knows hes very athletic and that he has a huge upside.

nwFL Griz
November 29th, 2007, 03:27 PM
That's right!

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20071129/news_1s29canepa.html

On the ballot, voters are asked for their first, second and third choices. Ironically (maybe not), my 2 and 3 picks are the same as they were a year ago – Arkansas tailback Darren McFadden and USD quarterback Josh Johnson.

Johnson? Well, he may play for a nonscholarship school, but he could start on dozens of the 119 Division I-A teams. His numbers are staggering. He rushed 101 times for 726 yards and two scores (an 89-yard run was in there). He completed 206-of-301 passes for 2,988 yards and 43 touchdowns. Oh, yes. He threw one – that's one – interception. His efficiency rating was a NASA 198.30. That's 20 points higher than Tebow's.

He's no small-school guy, Johnson. The weekend the Chargers were home to play Oakland, General Manager A.J. Smith sneaked in to watch Johnson and USD play Drake.

“I thought I was going incognito, but then I ran into (USD defensive coordinator) Dave Adolph and blew my cover,” Smith says. “I won't give you a round when this kid will be drafted, but he's of real interest. I was very impressed with his physical tools and he has totally dominated. He's a legitimate prospect.”

See?

This is exactly why the heisman vote is such a joke. Johnson is a fine player to be sure....but one of the top three in the nation (FBS or FCS)? Hardly.

pantherfan
November 29th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Agreed - the only whining will be from the DF's of the world when Foster wins this thing going away. It's a shame to bother the other two guys with even going to Chatty in the first place when Foster is, perhaps, the lock of the century.

Agreed. I would LOVE to see Sanders win this award, but Foster had an unbelievable season statistically! Hopefully Sanders will be in Chattanooga for a different reason though anyway...:D

USDFAN_55
November 29th, 2007, 05:34 PM
I would be suprised if JJ wins the payton. Ricky got a heisman vote last year. JJ is a legit prospect, but all that can change real fast with something as small as a wonderlick score. Or he can become a bigger prospect if he has a good workout. There is still alot of time before the draft boards are made up for NFL scouts. Congrats to him but things fall apart fast for most prospects. I talked to a steelers scout who was at the UNH- Maine game and he was talking about Ricky compared to other FCS qb's. The way he described it was Flacco is a physical speciman with an unreal arm that has matured as a qb this last year as much as anyone can. Ricky makes the right throws almost 99% of the time and that 1 out of every 6 plays he does something noone else in the country can do out of nothing. I asked him about JJ. He said he hasnt scouted him because he is out west, but said he knows hes very athletic and that he has a huge upside.

He's not going to a low grade academic school. I doubt he will have a problem with the wonderlic test.

GOTOREROS
November 29th, 2007, 11:20 PM
No one is saying Johnson is bad, or that he won't be drafted.

We're just pointing out the blatantly obvious fact that this was written by a homer. This has no more impact on any of us than, say, a Phillip Morris spokesperson telling us that smoking doesn't cause cancer.

Smoking causes cancer?! I don't believe it! :D

Kill'em
November 30th, 2007, 08:46 AM
As much as I want Jayson to win the Payton, it is hard to overlook Johnson's staggering numbers. He is worthy of Payton consideration, regardless of San Diego's perceived easy schedule.