PDA

View Full Version : a little message for those attending the rock sat.

mountain_man
November 29th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Great article by David Jackson.

There is nothing like The Rock on game day. Let's show the country, and our guests from EWU that this saturday.

http://www.goasu.com/article/11344/

bamamountaineer1013
November 29th, 2007, 10:31 AM
You beat me to it. But a great article none the less.

Appaholic
November 29th, 2007, 10:35 AM
From what I have heard regarding ticket sales, I'll be happy to have the 2%.....what's going on......if we don't have 27-28k there for this game, we should bwe ashamed to have it shown on TV....xeyebrowx

Mountaineer#96
November 29th, 2007, 10:40 AM
I was told to expect 18-23k but it isn't looking all that great. Who knows what the problem is, is $5 really all that bad for a student to pay? I guess they would rather have a 12 pack of Busch !

phillyAPP
November 29th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Great article by David Jackson.

There is nothing like The Rock on game day. Let's show the country, and our guests from EWU that this saturday.

http://www.goasu.com/article/11344/

He sounded mad. And we know that David Jackson doesn't get mad often. I think Charlie Cobb was upset also.

xmadx xreadx xrulesx xnonox xnonono2x xoopsx xbawlingx :D xsmiley_wix

Maybe the idiots that make us all mad read pictures?

GannonFan
November 29th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Wow, how bad are you guys???? When your own school starts putting out missives like these, it really makes you wonder. I know JMU had a similar problem with fan behavior. Yikes. xconfusedx

proasu89
November 29th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Wow, how bad are you guys???? When your own school starts putting out missives like these, it really makes you wonder. I know JMU had a similar problem with fan behavior. Yikes. xconfusedx

Isolated incidents. Time to "Nip It in The Bud" however. I applaud the administration for not looking the other way and hoping the dumba$$es just go away. However, mix alcohol, intense playoff game, and opposing fan base and words will be exchanged. xnonono2x

Appaholic
November 29th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Isolated incidents. Time to "Nip It in The Bud" however. I applaud the administration for not looking the other way and hoping the dumba$$es just go away. However, mix alcohol, intense playoff game, and opposing fan base and words will be exchanged. xnonono2x

Yeah....it's not like were GSU...xsmiley_wix ...j/k

I agree...it's very isolated incidents....think the administration is trying to stop it before it gets bad....best thing we can do is show very low tolerance for poor sportsmanship and apply peer pressure tomake the poor sports feel like idiots....I want App to be known as a heluva team to play in an intense, loud and intimidating environment....with the friendliest tailgating fans around...xthumbsupx ....kick your a$$ on the field and pat you on the back while handing you a beer in the parking lot...

ErksEagles
November 29th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Tickets are only $5?? What are your tickets during the regular season? Ours are $20.

appfan2008
November 29th, 2007, 12:02 PM
I read the article and I thought David was more proud of the most of us than he was mad at the other few..

also regarding attendance i know we havent bought ours and being final time may keep a few away but i dont think that 5 dollars is a big deal to most... and no can possibly expect 27-28 that is crazy talk for playoff games... asu has never even had 20k at the rock for a playoff game... i think 20 would be quite the accomplishment...

appfan2008
November 29th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Tickets are only $5?? What are your tickets during the regular season? Ours are $20.

students are five dollars and they are free during the season... everyone else is 20 i believe...

proasu89
November 29th, 2007, 12:08 PM
students are five dollars and they are free during the season... everyone else is 20 i believe...

Tickets this year were 20 except for Homecoming and Conference games which were 25.00.

If there is student on this board that cannot legitimately spend the 5 on a playoff game please PM and I will gladly buy you a ticket. Key word here is legitmatexpeacex

appfan2008
November 29th, 2007, 12:11 PM
as a student i feel the same way... i offered the five dollars to my friends at church who said they werent going but had been to all the other games and they said it wasnt the money... but if you are a student and dont have the $5 then pm i am on campus and will help you out...

KiddBrewer
November 29th, 2007, 12:50 PM
I love reading all that David Jackson writes! he loves this University as much as anybody in the world.

I think the student support this week should be pretty good, and I truly believe that good sportsmanship will show itself from our side. If a fan is true enough to travel cross country for their team, they deserve huge respect from everyone, not just students.

ERASU2113
November 29th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Around campus people are waiting to buy their ticket tomorrow...from what I've heard.

I don't have to buy one...gotta love the press pass :D

GannonFan
November 29th, 2007, 01:29 PM
I love reading all that David Jackson writes! he loves this University as much as anybody in the world.

I think the student support this week should be pretty good, and I truly believe that good sportsmanship will show itself from our side. If a fan is true enough to travel cross country for their team, they deserve huge respect from everyone, not just students.

Agreed, if you guys start ripping into Eastern Washington fans you might reach an all-time low - you have to respect the cross country trip. We had some real nice people from Portland St back in 2000 in Newark - I'm not sure I'd do the same trip. JMU fans are one thing - they're right next door and I'm sure they weren't friendly either, but you can't rip fans making that trip. xthumbsupx

Appaholic
November 29th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Agreed, if you guys start ripping into Eastern Washington fans you might reach an all-time low - you have to respect the cross country trip. We had some real nice people from Portland St back in 2000 in Newark - I'm not sure I'd do the same trip. JMU fans are one thing - they're right next door and I'm sure they weren't friendly either, but you can't rip fans making that trip. xthumbsupx

I agree....and I don't think that behavior will be prevelant...I thanked Montana St fans at the game last year for making the trip...very commendable.....JMU is a familiar foe, but that doesn't excuse the poor behavior.....remember.....goet drunk and berate guests = BAD....get drunk and fall on pipe on hill in south endzone = not good, but excusable...

lizrdgizrd
November 29th, 2007, 02:18 PM
I think this issue is something that a focused effort from good fans can erase. Make sure to point out to the boors that poor behavior is unacceptable and don't hesitate to get them booted out if it's warranted. xnodx

pbr1893
November 29th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Jackson said what a few have been saying all year. Isolated maybe but let's isolate those who cannot control themselves. We tailgate in the grass on River st beside the John Thomas building. Every game we call out to the opposing fans and say, "Good luck...but not too much luck!"
They'll smile and we'll even invite them for a beer or three. That's football tailgating and sportsmanship all rolled into one! There are those 2% out there like Jackson mentioned. I have met a few of those 2% sometimes and it leaves a lasting impression. Let's control it and have opposing fans wanting to return to The Rock(except for Ga. Southern's!xlolx) By the way...I called the ticket office and a girl said ticket sales are btter than last week so don't get discouraged just yet.
And last but not least...Beer Hat Guy will be at the game with Touchdown Santa...so all is well!

Appaholic
November 29th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Jackson said what a few have been saying all year. Isolated maybe but let's isolate those who cannot control themselves. We tailgate in the grass on River st beside the John Thomas building. Every game we call out to the opposing fans and say, "Good luck...but not too much luck!"
They'll smile and we'll even invite them for a beer or three. That's football tailgating and sportsmanship all rolled into one! There are those 2% out there like Jackson mentioned. I have met a few of those 2% sometimes and it leaves a lasting impression. Let's control it and have opposing fans wanting to return to The Rock(except for Ga. Southern's!xlolx) By the way...I called the ticket office and a girl said ticket sales are btter than last week so don't get discouraged just yet.
And last but not least...Beer Hat Guy will be at the game with Touchdown Santa...so all is well!

Had my picture taken with football santa last year before the MSU game.....wife got the picture put onto my mouse pad at work.....sweeeet! Love football santa.....

pbr1893
November 29th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Are you sure it was mt Santa? 'Cause there's plenty of them out there. Mine is kinda beat up and looks like someone painted it after a few Jack Daniels(which it was of course!) If so I'd love to get a pic of your mouse pad...that would be too much!xbowx

thmst30
November 29th, 2007, 04:04 PM
I read the article and I thought David was more proud of the most of us than he was mad at the other few..

also regarding attendance i know we havent bought ours and being final time may keep a few away but i dont think that 5 dollars is a big deal to most... and no can possibly expect 27-28 that is crazy talk for playoff games... asu has never even had 20k at the rock for a playoff game... i think 20 would be quite the accomplishment..
BUT WHY!!!!! I don't get how we get around 25k per game for the entire regular season, but then in the playoffs WHEN IT MATTERS THE MOST that we can't get 20k. Where the hell is everyone, its not like they moved away they're still here, its not like they all of a sudden have things to do on Saturday. I've tried and tried to explain it, but the ONLY thing I can come up with is that these pussies are scared of the cold. I hope thats not the reason because if it is, its a damn sad one. However can ANYONE shed some light on the reason why people turn out in droves to a WCU and Chatty game (no disrespect), but they're nowhere to be seen during a more important playoff game. How about David Jackson posts a story about the lack of fan support for playoffs and how damn embarrassing it is. This issue irks me more than anything else about App. St. right now.
xmadx xpissedx xflamemadx xbangx xmadx xpissedx xflamemadx xbangx xmadx xpissedx xflamemadx xbangx xmadx xpissedx xflamemadx xbangx xmadx xpissedx xflamemadx xbangx

lizrdgizrd
November 29th, 2007, 04:08 PM
BUT WHY!!!!! I don't get how we get around 25k per game for the entire regular season, but then in the playoffs WHEN IT MATTERS THE MOST that we can't get 20k. Where the hell is everyone, its not like they moved away there still here, its not like they all of a sudden have things to do on Saturday. I've tried and tried to explain it, but the ONLY thing I can come up with is that these pussies are scared of the cold. I hope thats not the reason because if it is, its a damn sad one. However can ANYONE shed solme light on the reason why people urn out in droves to a WCU and Chatty game (no disrespect), but they're nowhere to be seen during a more important playoff game. How about David Jackson posts a story about the lack of fan support for playoffs and how damn embarrassing it is. This issue irks me more than anything else about App. St. right now.
xmadx xpissedx xflamemadx xbangx xmadx xpissedx xflamemadx xbangx xmadx xpissedx xflamemadx xbangx xmadx xpissedx xflamemadx xbangx xmadx xpissedx xflamemadx xbangx
Might be more of an scheduling issue. Those who only go to a few games per year may not be able to go to the playoff games. xpeacex

thmst30
November 29th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Might be more of an scheduling issue. Those who only go to a few games per year may not be able to go to the playoff games. xpeacex

Not 9,000 people. A few sure, but not 9k.

lizrdgizrd
November 29th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Not 9,000 people. A few sure, but not 9k.
I'm fairly certain that of the 25K people per game only about 50-60% were the same ones week after week.

Appaholic
November 29th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Are you sure it was mt Santa? 'Cause there's plenty of them out there. Mine is kinda beat up and looks like someone painted it after a few Jack Daniels(which it was of course!) If so I'd love to get a pic of your mouse pad...that would be too much!xbowx

Not sure....does yours have a white beard? j/k

mountain_man
November 29th, 2007, 04:24 PM

are you the one wearing the balck and gold hat with the pbr labels on it that sits over on the east side? if so, your seats are right below mine.

thmst30
November 29th, 2007, 04:25 PM
I'm fairly certain that of the 25K people per game only about 50-60% were the same ones week after week.
Yea, but that still doesn't explain the major decline for playoff attendance.

lizrdgizrd
November 29th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Yea, but that still doesn't explain the major decline for playoff attendance.
Those extra 40% or so have scheduled that weekend to attend a game sometimes months in advance. Can't schedule playoff game plans more than a week in advance - for busy folks that's hard. xnodx

pbr1893
November 29th, 2007, 07:22 PM
are you the one wearing the balck and gold hat with the pbr labels on it that sits over on the east side? if so, your seats are right below mine.
Yep, that's me unless I ( I mean that Beer Hat Guy)did something to make you mad. If so,then no, it's not me.
Dodge and weave baby...dodge and weave!

phillyAPP
November 29th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Yep, that's me unless I ( I mean that Beer Hat Guy)did something to make you mad. If so,then no, it's not me.

Go Section 10 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

STATE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And think some people don't come to playoffs cause they're chicken poop.

No disrespect to the Hens on AGS.

ASUMountaineer
November 29th, 2007, 07:35 PM
How do you explain the 25K crowds that are 16K by halfway through the third quarter? I sit in 5A, if you have left early, you've heard me boo and ask why you're leaving, the game's not over. A lot of people give me bad looks, oh well. I sit on the aisle, so everyone walking past gets it. This may make me a jerk, but I don't care. That really makes me mad. I don't mind the smaller crowds at the playoff games, those are people who want to be the there, the whole time, for the team. Not, because it's cool to go to Boone.

phillyAPP
November 29th, 2007, 07:41 PM
How do you explain the 25K crowds that are 16K by halfway through the third quarter? I sit in 5A, if you have left early, you've heard me boo and ask why you're leaving, the game's not over. A lot of people give me bad looks, oh well. I sit on the aisle, so everyone walking past gets it. This may make me a jerk, but I don't care. That really makes me mad. I don't mind the smaller crowds at the playoff games, those are people who want to be the there, the whole time, for the team. Not, because it's cool to go to Boone.

I left section 5A for section 10--- Building a LOUD, MONSTER section with fans that stand, yell, and NEVER leave before the clock says 0:00.
Come on over to the EAST SIDE.xnodx xnodx

ASUMountaineer
November 29th, 2007, 07:42 PM
I left section 5A for section 10--- Building a LOUD, MONSTER section with fans that stand, yell, and NEVER leave before the clock says 0:00.

I may have to, although, we now have half of my old fraternity brothers sitting with us, so we get kind of loud.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 29th, 2007, 07:47 PM
What, exactly, happened with the JMU fans?

Based on my experiences in Harrisonburg, it was probably deserved!

pbr1893
November 29th, 2007, 08:09 PM

shout out for the East side representn' the big 1-0 section! We might be smaller in number but we go the extra mile!xthumbsupx

T-Dog
November 29th, 2007, 08:30 PM

Some of our students yelled profanities at them after the game on the field.

Yeah we have our drunken a-holes. I will say though that it has gotten better compared to last year. ALOT better. So we are making progress and we have to continue to push the issue.

mountain_man
November 29th, 2007, 08:34 PM

cool! i'll introduce myself to you saturday!

section 10 is yo daddy!xthumbsupx

proasu89
November 29th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Some of our students yelled profanities at them after the game on the field.

Yeah we have our drunken a-holes. I will say though that it has gotten better compared to last year. ALOT better. So we are making progress and we have to continue to push the issue.

Who were we yelling at on the field!xeyebrowx

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 29th, 2007, 09:06 PM

I was at The Rock last week for the game and I did not see anything.

I was also at the JMU-Richmond game last year in Richmond....and yes your fans threw bottles and what not at the band.....xnonox

bench
November 29th, 2007, 09:17 PM
I let the lower end of section 10 do all the whooping and yelling. I would help, but I'm usually too busy worrying to join in.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 29th, 2007, 09:20 PM

I was also at the JMU-Richmond game last year in Richmond....and yes your fans threw bottles and what not at the band.....xnonox

I thought whenever you guys came to Richmond, you 'take the place over' and it's 'your house'.

How could you let us get away with that in 'your' house? xcoffeex

feb18blacksunday
November 29th, 2007, 09:35 PM
David Jackson is the Man. I'm sick to death of fans acting like they do. At Michigan a group of dumbazzes started chanting Overrated, it stopped immediately when a group of us looked at them and shook our heads. We've been compared to Marshall fans(back in the day when I was in school) that strikes me as deplorable behavior.If you don't know how to act or hold your alcohol then stay home and scream at the tv. We need to be hospitabe and realize that its just a freakin game. EWU should be treated with respect just like we were at the Big House.

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 29th, 2007, 09:49 PM
I thought whenever you guys came to Richmond, you 'take the place over' and it's 'your house'.

How could you let us get away with that in 'your' house? xcoffeex

.....lol.............For the last two years that I've attended the game in Richmond it's been a nice JMU crowd.....

I've only had season tickets for the last four years so I'm not an expert on the so called "JMU behavior"...but I'm sure all schools have the so called "not so nice" fans. I attend to watch the game and of course the band....will probably always keep my season tickets.

Good luck on Saturday at Wofford.

Eight Legger
November 30th, 2007, 09:42 AM

Hey, we're allowed to throw our what not at whoever and whatchamacallits in our house, thank you very much. I'm loading with on some extra whatnots for Saturday at Wofford, so beware...

james_lawfirm
November 30th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Hey, we're allowed to throw our what not at whoever and whatchamacallits in our house, thank you very much. I'm loading with on some extra whatnots for Saturday at Wofford, so beware...

I hope you are not serious. Actually, throwing anything & hitting anyone with anything is a criminal offense - not to mention being morally reprehensible.

It would appear that certain folks would not know appropriate behavior if it smacked them in the head.

GannonFan
November 30th, 2007, 10:13 AM

Hey, JMU fans threw stuff at the UD band this year in Newark - glass houses. xthumbsupx

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 30th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Hey, JMU fans threw stuff at the UD band this year in Newark - glass houses. xthumbsupx

Maybe we're lucky we don't have a marching band ... it is seems to be too good of a target for projectiles in the CAA!!!

Eight Legger
November 30th, 2007, 11:09 AM
I hope you are not serious. Actually, throwing anything & hitting anyone with anything is a criminal offense - not to mention being morally reprehensible.

It would appear that certain folks would not know appropriate behavior if it smacked them in the head.

Once again, sarcasm and this board appear to be mutually exclusive....

lizrdgizrd
November 30th, 2007, 11:10 AM
For the slower of our posters sometimes a ;) or xrolleyesx is required for them to catch the sarcasm part. For others it's simply impossible. :o

GreatAppSt
November 30th, 2007, 11:19 AM

And someone checked his sense of humor at the login screen.
You have 0 trackrecord here to go by, my friend. It takes more than 20 posts to get a read on folks. Ooops sorry you have all of 21 one now congrats.

Once again, comprehention of newbs and this board appear singularly exclusive.:D xlolx xlolx

Eight Legger
November 30th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Ok, i will make 459 posts today. . then maybe you'll all catch onto my constant sarcasm. . .

Appaholic
November 30th, 2007, 11:30 AM
I hope you are not serious. Actually, throwing anything & hitting anyone with anything is a criminal offense - not to mention being potential business for lawyers like myself....keep up the good work!...xthumbsupx

fixed it for you James.....xlolx xpeacex xlolx

proasu89
November 30th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Ok, i will make 459 posts today. . then maybe you'll all catch onto my constant sarcasm. . .

That's better.;)

lizrdgizrd
November 30th, 2007, 11:38 AM
You can't be serious! There's no way you're going to make 459 posts today. xmadx

Bobcat in NC
November 30th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Seeing as I've been on both sides of the fence in Boone, I've never seen anything that would lead me to think that there's a "problem" with the fans there. I'm usually there in App gear with my App blinders on and I've never seen any visiting fan treated poorly. Then, when MSU played at KBS in the quarters last year, the wife & I were in full-on Cat gear and received exactly the type of treatment I would expect. Every single person in both tailgate areas we were in was polite and inviting, all of them asking us to stop in for a beer. During the game, I got some good-natured ribbing, but nothing out of line. After the game, it was all "good game" and "your guys gave us a scare until the end". Great hospitality and good fans all around.

james_lawfirm
November 30th, 2007, 03:27 PM

Interesting. So, the written threat of criminal violence is "sarcasm"? I don't think so. Especially after recent history. Apparently something happened (concerning drunk students and JMU players/fans) at App's recent playoff game, which I did not see, but which a number of AGS posters are concerned about. Likewise, JMU-DAD posted that something happened at a JMU-UR game that was equally appalling.

The fact is that the freedom of speech thing only goes so far. You cannot shout "fire" in a crowded theater and expect to be immune from the results, and it is inappropriate at best to warn others that you will throw things at a game and expect no harm from your language. And, it is just lame and irresponsible to then explain away your behavior as "sarcasm".

I can tell the difference between sarcasm and inappropriate language. Can you?

The point of this thread seems to be to point out inappropriate behavior at a football game. Unfortunately, this is pretty much preaching to the choir here on AGS. However, comments like 8-legged's, which he describes as sarcasm, seem counterproductive and inappropriate to me.

james_lawfirm
November 30th, 2007, 03:29 PM
fixed it for you James.....xlolx xpeacex xlolx

Thanks for your humor, er, sarcasm. I don't do criminal law though, but I appreciate your kind words. (How's that?)

lizrdgizrd
November 30th, 2007, 03:44 PM
I can tell the difference between sarcasm and inappropriate language. Can you?
Would it help if he put a ;) , xsmiley_wix , or :p at the end of his prior statement?

Eight Legger
November 30th, 2007, 03:49 PM
To anyone who read my post and actually believed that I was planning to take objects with me to Wofford to throw at the opposing team and its fans – or who believed I was encouraging, promoting or endorsing such behavior – I apologize.

And to everyone other than James Law Firm, I trust you understood my tongue-in-cheek comment.

phillyAPP
November 30th, 2007, 04:07 PM
To anyone who read my post and actually believed that I was planning to take objects with me to Wofford to throw at the opposing team and its fans – or who believed I was encouraging, promoting or endorsing such behavior – I apologize.

And to everyone other than James Law Firm, I trust you understood my tongue-in-cheek comment.

Way to go eight legger--apology done !!

GO APP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and go wofford !

Good luck Spiders

james_lawfirm
November 30th, 2007, 05:51 PM

I accept your apology. And, good luck to you and your Spiders.