PDA

View Full Version : NAU's Souers on EWU v. ASU

kalm
November 28th, 2007, 10:45 PM
A balanced take from someone who has seen both teams. The part about Kid Brewer only seating 16,000 and fans watching from the trees and hillsides was interesting. So was the comment about team speed. Traditionally, BSC schools don't fair well against the option. I'm also not sold on our ability to run early. We could committ to the run the first couple of series and find ourselves down 14 early.

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/sportslink/archive/?postID=6567#more

thmst30
November 29th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Nice article, but the part about 27,000 people and how they were sitting everywhere will not happen this week. Still quite a bit of actual seats left. WTF is going on, we had more people last week after a holiday then we have at this point for this week. Yea Michigan was a long time ago, so what were in the playoffs now come support your damn team.

putter
November 29th, 2007, 01:19 AM
Interesting take from Jerome and pretty honest. Playing @ Montana will take away from any jitters they may have about playing in Boone in front of all those fans but Edwards will be the wildcard. I am glad I get to watch on this on TV

phillyAPP
November 29th, 2007, 07:38 AM
A balanced take from someone who has seen both teams. The part about Kid Brewer only seating 16,000 and fans watching from the trees and hillsides was interesting. So was the comment about team speed. Traditionally, BSC schools don't fair well against the option. I'm also not sold on our ability to run early. We could committ to the run the first couple of series and find ourselves down 14 early.

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/sportslink/archive/?postID=6567#more

WOW, really well written FOOTBALL article. NAU coach spoke the truth. He seems to be a nice guy. Its hard when I agree with everything he said. The game will be fun,tough, and close to the end.

Mountaineer#96
November 29th, 2007, 07:52 AM
We started our backup QB against NAU, not a healthy and hot hot hot Armanti Edwards.

I know he talked about it in the article, I just wanted to throw out some hotness.

ERASU2113
November 29th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Good article but I think he meant "hang with App State" not "hand"

Yea Wulff said they haven't faced a QB like Edwards before. He is the wildcard.

ASUG8
November 29th, 2007, 09:32 AM
That article hit the nail on the head - I think EWU will have to shake up its' offensive strategy a bit this week given that they are a bit more pass happy than most teams ASU has faced (and lost to) this year. Clearly there is some home field advantage, but losing by a point to a very talented UM team at Wa/Griz shows that the Eagles don't get their feathers ruffled in the midst of a large away crowd. This SHOULD be a great game to watch, especially if our offense is clicking well. After last week, I'm just glad to be here.

HiHiYikas
November 29th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Good article, and I'm curious...

Is it even possible anymore for any FCS team to be intimidated by the home field/crowd of any other FCS team?

It seems there is a lot of talk about it leading up to big games, particularly in the larger FCS venues.

Is it for real, though? I certainly can't imagine that any thlete at that level could think to himself "I can't play out there, there's 20-something-thousand crazies in the stands. Oh, and it's really really cold."

I dunno, the article just got me thinking.

DaGriz
November 29th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Good article, and I'm curious...

Is it even possible anymore for any FCS team to be intimidated by the home field/crowd of any other FCS team?

It seems there is a lot of talk about it leading up to big games, particularly in the larger FCS venues.

Is it for real, though? I certainly can't imagine that any thlete at that level could think to himself "I can't play out there, there's 20-something-thousand crazies in the stands. Oh, and it's really really cold."

I dunno, the article just got me thinking.

I agree, I think crowd noise is over rated too. As Griz fans, we love to brag about how loud the crowd is and it's going to kill the opposition in the playoffs. It seems like any more, teams just work on silent counts. When I think it makes a difference is in crucial situations, an occasional going for it on 4th down and an offensive lineman doesn't hear an audible. But I'm beginning to think large crowds are nice but over rated in affecting the other team.

EdubAlum
November 29th, 2007, 03:30 PM
I agree, I think crowd noise is over rated too. As Griz fans, we love to brag about how loud the crowd is and it's going to kill the opposition in the playoffs. It seems like any more, teams just work on silent counts. When I think it makes a difference is in crucial situations, an occasional going for it on 4th down and an offensive lineman doesn't hear an audible. But I'm beginning to think large crowds are nice but over rated in affecting the other team.

I 100% agree with all of this. Unless you're playing in front of 70k fans, i don't think the noise is as big of an advantage as some believe.

Sidenote, i think we should give Woodward field a nickname like, "between the aluminum bleachers" make it seem like it's harder to play there then it really is;). I think it's quite possible it's hard for people to play in "the hole", "the rock", washington-griz because the home teams are talented, not because people are awestruck when they see 20k fans.

james_lawfirm
November 29th, 2007, 03:51 PM
I 100% agree with all of this. Unless you're playing in front of 70k fans, i don't think the noise is as big of an advantage as some believe.

Sidenote, i think we should give Woodward field a nickname like, "between the aluminum bleachers" make it seem like it's harder to play there then it really is;). I think it's quite possible it's hard for people to play in "the hole", "the rock", washington-griz because the home teams are talented, not because people are awestruck when they see 20k fans.

Edub:

I really understand your point, and I agree that crowd noise does not effect the visiting team as much as the crowd would hope. However, as other posters have attested, I am absolutely positive the crowd noise and the overall home field advantage affects the play of the home team positively.

On a side note, good luck in your travels this weekend, good luck to EWU, have fun, play hard, and WELCOME TO THE ROCK!

appfan2008
November 29th, 2007, 04:10 PM
also playing at 9am local time will hurt ewu...

AZGrizFan
November 29th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Edub:

I really understand your point, and I agree that crowd noise does not effect the visiting team as much as the crowd would hope. However, as other posters have attested, I am absolutely positive the crowd noise and the overall home field advantage affects the play of the home team positively.

On a side note, good luck in your travels this weekend, good luck to EWU, have fun, play hard, and WELCOME TO THE ROCK!

Yeah, it was the only thing that kept McNeese in the game Saturday night. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

EdubAlum
November 29th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Edub:

well I'll be there, so you better show me what it's all about;)

HiHiYikas
November 29th, 2007, 04:43 PM
I am absolutely positive the crowd noise and the overall home field advantage affects the play of the home team positively.
I'd agree with that 100%. The thing is, it seems a lot of the talk is more "our stadium/crowd is going to intimidate you," than "our stadium/crowd is going to energize us."

If I were a player, I think I'd prefer playing in a packed-out, 25,000-person road venue to a 40% capacity lethargic home crowd.

Hate's better than apathy, I'd guess.