PDA

View Full Version : Promotions and Demotions...

bostonspider
November 27th, 2007, 04:15 PM
From ESPN...

If This Were The Other Kind Of Football …
In England, they have a pretty cool soccer meritocracy where you have to earn the right to stay in the division you're in. The bottom team is sent down a division, while the top team from the division below is promoted.

Imagine if that were applied to college football heading into 2008, with demotions from I-A and promotions from I-AA. The Dash imagined just that, conference by conference, using the Sagarin Ratings as a guide and trying to keep promotions and demotions within geographically feasible boundaries:

ACC (25). Demoted: Duke (No. 113 Sagarin). Promoted: Richmond (No. 77) of the Colonial Athletic Association. Ancillary benefit: Evens out state balance to three teams from North Carolina and three from Virginia.

Big 12 (26). Demoted: Baylor (No. 125). Promoted: McNeese State (No. 96) of the Southland. Ancillary benefit: Getting to Lake Charles, La., can't be much harder than getting to Waco.

Big East (27). Demoted: Syracuse (No. 111). Promoted: Massachusetts (No. 74) of the Colonial. Ancillary benefit: No more Big East games in lame dome.

Big Ten (28). Demoted: Minnesota (No. 118). Promoted: Northern Iowa (No. 40) of the Gateway. Ancillary benefit: Any conference that adds punt returner Johnny Gray (consult YouTube for footage of his return against Indiana State from Nov. 10) is better off.

Conference USA (29). Demoted: SMU (No. 169). Promoted: Wofford (No. 83) of the Southern Conference. Ancillary benefit: Who needs the Dallas TV market when you can have Spartanburg, S.C.?

MAC (30). Demoted: Northern Illinois (No. 144). Promoted: Southern Illinois (No. 64) of the Gateway. Ancillary benefit: Keeps the MAC in Illinois.

Mountain West (31). Demoted: UNLV (No. 121). Promoted: South Dakota State (No. 90) of the Great West. Ancillary benefit: Traveling fans cannot lose near as much money in Brookings, S.D., as in Vegas.

Pacific-10 (32). Demoted: Stanford (No. 82). Promoted: North Dakota State (No. 65) of the Great West. Ancillary benefit: Fargo? You betcha!

SEC (33). Demoted: Mississippi (No. 78). Promoted: Appalachian State (No. 66). Ancillary benefit: None. Losing The Grove and all those Ole Miss sorority girls would be a crushing blow to the league.

Sun Belt (34). Demoted: Florida International (No. 182). Promoted: Grambling State (No. 140) of the SWAC. Ancillary benefit: Halftime shows suddenly improve.

WAC (35). Demoted: Idaho (No. 170). Promoted: Montana (No. 99) of the Big Sky. Ancillary benefit: Another dome demoted.

unicat87
November 27th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Funny coincidence, I was thinking a lot along the same lines as you. NDSU and UNI would be up for promotion for sure. Thanks for an interesting, well-though out post and thread. -unicat87

UNHWildCats
November 27th, 2007, 04:41 PM
What does UNH have that none of the teams listed above have?

And yet no mention of UNH in there :(

:p

terrierbob
November 27th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Like I said on another thread, I think i'd rather stay in the SoCon.

FCS Preview
November 27th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Wow...NDSU, which has not even finished it's transition from D-II to FCS is promoted to the FBS? Sheesh, let's see them win a playoff game before we send them to the FBS level... :D

See Red!
November 27th, 2007, 07:17 PM
This is pretty funny stuff, but I would hate to trade Montana for Idaho in the Big Sky. I think the EWU vs. Montana rivalry is much better than the EWU vs. Idaho rivalry ever was and the EWU/UM rivalry is only getting better.

89Hen
November 28th, 2007, 09:21 AM
North Dakota State in the Pacific 10. xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

UNHWildCats
November 28th, 2007, 09:23 AM
What does UNH have that none of the teams listed above have?

And yet no mention of UNH in there :(

:p
of the 22 teams above, none have a 3 game FBS winning streak like UNH does :p