PDA

View Full Version : NAU = playoff material?

Lumberjacks76
September 12th, 2005, 12:33 AM
Is Northern Arizona, based on their two games thus far, playoff material?

They defeat Adams State 52-13 (who just defeated Chadron State 28-23).

They lost to Arizona 31-12, but the score was 24-12 for much of the second half. Arizona barely lost to Utah at Utah by a score of 27-24. The Wildcats look like a bowl team this year.

Defensively, NAU looks pretty good. They are aggressive, fly to the football, and make plays on defense (such as last game's blocked field goal and interception).

Offensively, they appear to be well balanced with 6 foot 6 Kory Mahr and a stable of good, young receivers. They also have Phil Sanchez at running back, as well as Ryan Williams.

Would an 8-4 record and a playoff berth be too much to ask of the Lumberjacks this season?

Will 2006 be their year instead?

Thoughts?

Paul

CatFan22
September 12th, 2005, 12:55 AM
I dont think so. Not this year. I think the BSC is too tough and I think that MSU, UM, or EWU would get in to the playoffs before NAU. I picked them fourth this year ahead of PSU in the BSC.

TexasTerror
September 12th, 2005, 06:54 AM
Played a Div I-A and then a sub Div-I. Doubt you can get an accurate read at this point of your team. Throw in the fact not only does the usual Montana look good, but EWU and Montana St are looking very good this year...

You guys are not going to have a chance unless you pull some upsets off...

89Hen
September 12th, 2005, 08:36 AM
Would an 8-4 record and a playoff berth be too much to ask of the Lumberjacks this season?
I would have to yes since NAU only has 11 games. :p

dbackjon
September 12th, 2005, 10:52 AM
With games still against EWU, Montana, Montana St and Northern Iowa (all top-ten teams), the chances of only losing two more games this year are not good. Would love to see it happen, but the Jacks play a brutal schedule.

Lumberjacks76
September 12th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Oops, my bad. 8-3. Since 8-3 is usually what is required to make the playoffs (at minimum), I'd say NAU needs to finish 5-2 in the Big Sky Conference.

Losses to:

Arizona (Division I-A)
Montana (Big Sky Conference)
Montana State (Big Sky Conference)

I figure NAU upsets Eastern Washington in Flagstaff, and defeats Northern Iowa on the road.

Paul

JALMOND
September 13th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Paul, you think you can beat PSU in Portland? While you are at it, take a look at what PSU has done compared to NAU. PSU lost to Oregon State in a game that was as close as the NAU/Arizona game. The next week Oregon State beat Boise State, a top 25 team. Arizona lost to Utah, a team outside the top 25. The other game, NAU beat DII at home. PSU beat 1-AA (Davis) on the road. I'd say right now, NAU would have to be ranked behind PSU.

I do have to say that Murietta is showing signs of having a great year this year, but last year Pendarvis (McNeese) and Ochs (Montana) could not win in Portland. Do not overlook the Vikings.

That being said, are you coming up for the game this year. Should be a good one.

Lumberjacks76
September 13th, 2005, 04:37 PM
All of the Big Sky teams, save for Sacramento State, looked good thus far. But we'll see once we enter conference play. It would not surprise me to a see a 5-3 conference record be good enough for the playoffs.

Paul

crunifan
September 13th, 2005, 05:11 PM
I figure NAU upsets Eastern Washington in Flagstaff, and defeats Northern Iowa on the road.

Paul

I hope you realize how difficult beating UNI in the dome (less than 40 teams have done it) this year will be...

Lumberjacks76
September 13th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Yes, it will be difficult, but for NAU to make the playoffs they may have to.

Paul

McNeese75
September 13th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Paul, you think you can beat PSU in Portland? While you are at it, take a look at what PSU has done compared to NAU. PSU lost to Oregon State in a game that was as close as the NAU/Arizona game. The next week Oregon State beat Boise State, a top 25 team. Arizona lost to Utah, a team outside the top 25. The other game, NAU beat DII at home. PSU beat 1-AA (Davis) on the road. I'd say right now, NAU would have to be ranked behind PSU.

I do have to say that Murietta is showing signs of having a great year this year, but last year Pendarvis (McNeese) and Ochs (Montana) could not win in Portland. Do not overlook the Vikings.

That being said, are you coming up for the game this year. Should be a good one.

We really appreciate you allowing our young team to mature before you pay a return visit to Cowboy stadium next year!!! :D

Grizo406
September 13th, 2005, 11:51 PM
Will 2006 be their year instead?

Nope, 2006 will be nothing but Griz...if we've found our QB by then.

Pantherpower
September 14th, 2005, 12:07 AM
Hopefully NAU and UNI will have something at stake this go round when they meet in the UNI-Dome.

Lumberjacks76
September 14th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Agreed. Both programs deserve a playoff berth chance.

Paul

GannonFan
September 14th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Agreed. Both programs deserve a playoff berth chance.

Paul

I don't understand your meaning - are some teams "undeserving"? How?

Lumberjacks76
September 14th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Well, no. Every team deserves a chance at the playoffs. But they must earn it at the end of the season.

My hope is that both Northern Iowa and Northern Arizona have something to play before besides pride when they meet later on this year.

Paul