PDA

View Full Version : UD Charter to UNI Game

UDChE89
November 26th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Just saw this on the News Journal Website...

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071126/SPORTS07/71126026

89Hen
November 26th, 2007, 03:27 PM
I'd be a little surprised if they get the 100 minimum.

igo4uni
November 26th, 2007, 04:19 PM

That'd be pretty cool if UD could make that fly!

sorry, couldn't help it.:p :p :D :D

igo4uni
November 26th, 2007, 04:24 PM

By the way, hen...........what's the latest on you getting out to CF??

89Hen
November 26th, 2007, 04:42 PM
By the way, hen...........what's the latest on you getting out to CF??
Not good. Found a nice cheap flight to Minny, but I'd have to fly Friday night and I can't get away then. We've had a party planned for four or five weeks for that night. The Saturday flights don't get in until 11am your time at the earliest and that doesn't give me time to drive down.

Cap'n Cat
November 26th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Not good. Found a nice cheap flight to Minny, but I'd have to fly Friday night and I can't get away then. We've had a party planned for four or five weeks for that night. The Saturday flights don't get in until 11am your time at the earliest and that doesn't give me time to drive down.

xcoffeex

Mountain Panther
November 26th, 2007, 05:51 PM
xcoffeex

Are YOU going? I know you were bitching and moaning earlier this year because I haven't come back yet, but I will be there. ;) xbowx

Purple For Life
November 26th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Are YOU going? I know you were bitching and moaning earlier this year because I haven't come back yet, but I will be there. ;) xbowx

Yeah, I'm makin' a sign and everything! xpeacex

Mountain Panther
November 26th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Yeah, I'm makin' a sign and everything! xpeacex

Actually I was trying to ask Cappy....it's a foregone conclusion that you'll be there, Purpy. xsmiley_wix

UDChE89
November 27th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Just a few more travel notes...

There's also a bus trip planned with an overnight stay. Delaware Express is handling that.

For those that can stay until Monday morning, United is offering Cedar Rapids as one of it's E-Saver fares over the weekend from both BWI and PHL. You can make it into Cedar Rapids on the flight that arrives at 10:49 AM on Saturday. Departures won't get back to PHL or BWI until about noon at the earliest on Monday. Cost is somewhere around $265.

UDBlueLotFan
November 27th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Just a few more travel notes...

You can make it into Cedar Rapids on the flight that arrives at 10:49 AM on Saturday.

xconfusedx , with over an hour drive, not counting baggage claim, rental car, etc, you'd be lucky get into your seat by the end of 1st quarterxsmhx

UDBlueLotFan
November 27th, 2007, 08:08 AM
You can fly into the Quad Cities and take a chartered flight set up by UNIxthumbsupx Yup, UNI is allowing UD fans access to their team planexbowx xthumbsupx xlolx

UDChE89
November 27th, 2007, 10:03 AM
xconfusedx , with over an hour drive, not counting baggage claim, rental car, etc, you'd be lucky get into your seat by the end of 1st quarterxsmhx

Why would you need baggage claim? At most it's two nights and all carry-on. Cedar Rapids can't be that large that it would take very long to get a rental car (and the flight from Chicago to Cedar Rapids is on a regional jet). I'd say you'd be on the road less than 20 minutes after landing.. plenty of time to get to Cedar Falls.

UDBlueLotFan
November 27th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Why would you need baggage claim? At most it's two nights and all carry-on. Cedar Rapids can't be that large that it would take very long to get a rental car (and the flight from Chicago to Cedar Rapids is on a regional jet). I'd say you'd be on the road less than 20 minutes after landing.. plenty of time to get to Cedar Falls.

True, shouldn't take too long to get bag. It would be cutting it close. If I had a son playing, I'd do it however I could. The Charlie B and bus route would be brutal, especially the bus. You'd be on the road more than the 3.5 hrs at the game? Keeping fingers crossed we get through the next two wks and do it right going to Choo-Chooxnodx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 27th, 2007, 11:02 AM

Having made the trip out there this past weekend, the biggest luggage issue is probably cold weather gear if you plan to tailgate. We tailgated over three hours and I was very glad that I had brought my insulated winter hiking boots!!! Bring warm gloves, layers for being outside, etc. Because it is warm inside the Dome, I'd recommend a big, bulky, warm coat for tailgating that can be shed once inside. You'll want to be down to a tee shirt once inside too!! If you don't tailgate, then you can get by with your basic run from the car to the indoors gear.

The wind really blows strong, must have been a stready 15-20 MPH wind which made tailgating seem cold. I thought it was just me coming from three weeks in FLA, but UNHWILDCATS05 was doing a pretty good mummy imitation so I knew it really was cold!

From my research, you can get flights on Northwest right into Waterloo. The team will probably charter into there, UNH did. As someone mentioned, Cedar Rapids is the next closest airport, but it is more than 20 minutes from there to Cedar Falls. For the major cities where cheaper flights can be found, Minneapolis is closest then Chicago then St. Louis. I opted for St. Louis because of the better deal and times. Being Thanksgiving weekend the cost was $400-600 more to fly into Waterloo, Cedar Rapids or Des Moines compared to the last minute deal I booked with Travelocity. It is about 5:30 to Cedar Falls from Lambert Field. Pretty easy ride though, almost all four lane highway with 65 MPH speed limit. Light traffic, pretty stress free, great views of America's Heartland!

In addition to the hotels mentioned on the other thread, there are numerous hotels in Waterloo right off US 218 at the end of I-380. I stayed out there and it worked out great -- bought a styrofoam cooler, microbrew beer at the nearby HyVee store; sandwich from Panera; etc. for tailgating. The main Mall type shopping area for Waterloo-Cedar Falls appeared to be in this area. Easy access to UNI on either US 20 or US 218. Very easy access to the Ramada in downtown Waterloo where UNH stayed.

FWIW, I'm very glad that I made the trip. Great people, terrific venue, put another FCS venue on my list and a primo one at that!! Besides, you can't beat playoff football even if it rips your heart out!

Purple For Life
November 27th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Actually I was trying to ask Cappy....it's a foregone conclusion that you'll be there, Purpy. xsmiley_wix

I KNOW that...I want the Cap'n there!

Purple For Life
November 27th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Having made the trip out there this past weekend, the biggest luggage issue is probably cold weather gear if you plan to tailgate. We tailgated over three hours and I was very glad that I had brought my insulated winter hiking boots!!! Bring warm gloves, layers for being outside, etc. Because it is warm inside the Dome, I'd recommend a big, bulky, warm coat for tailgating that can be shed once inside. You'll want to be down to a tee shirt once inside too!! If you don't tailgate, then you can get by with your basic run from the car to the indoors gear.

The wind really blows strong, must have been a stready 15-20 MPH wind which made tailgating seem cold. I thought it was just me coming from three weeks in FLA, but UNHWILDCATS05 was doing a pretty good mummy imitation so I knew it really was cold!

From my research, you can get flights on Northwest right into Waterloo. The team will probably charter into there, UNH did. As someone mentioned, Cedar Rapids is the next closest airport, but it is more than 20 minutes from there to Cedar Falls. For the major cities where cheaper flights can be found, Minneapolis is closest then Chicago then St. Louis. I opted for St. Louis because of the better deal and times. Being Thanksgiving weekend the cost was $400-600 more to fly into Waterloo, Cedar Rapids or Des Moines compared to the last minute deal I booked with Travelocity. It is about 5:30 to Cedar Falls from Lambert Field. Pretty easy ride though, almost all four lane highway with 65 MPH speed limit. Light traffic, pretty stress free, great views of America's Heartland!

In addition to the hotels mentioned on the other thread, there are numerous hotels in Waterloo right off US 218 at the end of I-380. I stayed out there and it worked out great -- bought a styrofoam cooler, microbrew beer at the nearby HyVee store; sandwich from Panera; etc. for tailgating. The main Mall type shopping area for Waterloo-Cedar Falls appeared to be in this area. Easy access to UNI on either US 20 or US 218. Very easy access to the Ramada in downtown Waterloo where UNH stayed.

FWIW, I'm very glad that I made the trip. Great people, terrific venue, put another FCS venue on my list and a primo one at that!! Besides, you can't beat playoff football even if it rips your heart out!

Very nice review of the area! xthumbsupx Glad you enjoyed it, even if it didn't have the outcome you hoped.

One of the reasons I was glad to go the game is that my apartment is freezing this time of year. :( The 72° in the Dome is a nice change from that!

WildcatFan
November 27th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Word of caution to Delaware fans. If you will be picking up your tickets at will call - the UNI Ticket office was a mess last weekend. Just read the UNI message board to see all the issues they are having. I picked up my will call tickets the day before the game and was sent to three different ticket windows before they could find them. If you are picking up from will call, check your online credit card statement and make sure the charge hit and bring that with you. Hopefully you won't have issues but give yourself plenty of time to pick up the tickets.

crunifan
November 27th, 2007, 06:51 PM
UNItix is a mess...

Don't even get us started on that.

kardplayer
November 27th, 2007, 07:07 PM

So you're saying that AFTER Delaware was a virtual lock for the playoffs - with a likely first round game against DSU, you made plans for the night before a potential playoff game? Shame on you, you gotta be smarter than that :D

UNI Pike
November 27th, 2007, 07:08 PM
UNItix is a mess...

Don't even get us started on that.

Halftime show is people that thought they had UNI / DE tickets versus the UNI Tix management xthumbsupx

WildcatFan
November 27th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Halftime show is people that thought they had UNI / DE tickets versus the UNI Tix management xthumbsupx

Oh........it's gonna get uglyxlolx xlolx

appfan2008
November 27th, 2007, 07:44 PM
glad to see ud attempting to travel their fans out there...

igo4uni
November 27th, 2007, 07:46 PM

I have never had a problem with UNItix...........but I know it's been an issue on www.panthernation.com

HENCRAZED
November 27th, 2007, 08:04 PM
The bus trip needs about 20 people.....the NJ was wrong....it leaves Thrus at midnight. Arrive in Iowa Friday early eve. Includes Hotel, Bus, Tix, and breakfast Saturday. $252 for 1 person, or $207 for 2. the more in a room the cheaper it is.Call Gerry at DEExpress - 302-530-1391.

proasu89
November 27th, 2007, 10:35 PM
I have never had a problem with UNItix...........but I know it's been an issue on www.panthernation.com

We use TicketReturn.com. I've noticed that UNI uses that also. Is that the source of your problems? Overall it seems like TicketReturn has been a good idea for us. Although I did hear it mentioned in the stands on Saturday that there were a few season holders that had problems with playoff tickets.

JayJ79
November 28th, 2007, 04:20 AM
We use TicketReturn.com. I've noticed that UNI uses that also. Is that the source of your problems? Overall it seems like TicketReturn has been a good idea for us. Although I did hear it mentioned in the stands on Saturday that there were a few season holders that had problems with playoff tickets.

UNI hasn't made any of their playoff tickets this year available online, so I don't think TicketReturn has anything to do with it.

UDBlueLotFan
November 28th, 2007, 06:21 AM
So you're saying that AFTER Delaware was a virtual lock for the playoffs - with a likely first round game against DSU, you made plans for the night before a potential playoff game? Shame on you, you gotta be smarter than that :D

Yes, because we thought our CAA #5 team could get us a home game the 2nd Rd xthumbsupx...because we all know the #1 Gateway team is as good as a "middle of the pack" CAA teamxsmiley_wix

Purple For Life
November 28th, 2007, 09:25 AM

No, I think the source of the problem is the idiotic morons in the ticket office sitting around with their thumbs up their @$$ on Sunday when they KNEW there would be a deluge of ticket orders on Monday. xmadx

Ronin
November 29th, 2007, 11:29 AM
FYI: The weather for the weekend is expected to be freezing rain, snow and windy. Traveling will likely become difficult.

pantherfan
November 29th, 2007, 11:40 AM
The bus trip needs about 20 people.....the NJ was wrong....it leaves Thrus at midnight. Arrive in Iowa Friday early eve. Includes Hotel, Bus, Tix, and breakfast Saturday. $252 for 1 person, or $207 for 2. the more in a room the cheaper it is.Call Gerry at DEExpress - 302-530-1391.

That is a hell of a deal! Hopefully you can get the additional 20 and make it happen! Good luck. For the whole package, $200 can't be beat...xcoffeex

Barnstormer
November 29th, 2007, 11:41 AM
80% chance of Wintery Mix/Wind.

Actually, it probably works out pretty good for UD that the game is at 1PM. Most folks will probably get in Friday, and the forcast for Friday (so far) is Sunny.

Safe travels to everybody attending games this weekend!

HENCRAZED
November 29th, 2007, 11:55 AM
That is a hell of a deal! Hopefully you can get the additional 20 and make it happen! Good luck. For the whole package, $200 can't be beat...xcoffeex

Didnt get it as of noon, so i bagged and it and bought 4 tickets. Me and three others are leaving tomorrow at noon and going straight through! God I am an idiot!