PDA

View Full Version : Duke Coach Fired -- a few candidates

RAMS83
November 26th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Do you think they would give a successful 1aa HC at shot at Duke?

If you give these guys the recources they would get bring Duke respectability and eventually winning seasons....If so, these are the guys to go after..

Coach Clawson- Richmond (made Fordham a winner & UR is becoming an elite 1aa team)

Lembo - Elon ( great record at Lehigh and turning Elon around and fast)

Moore - Appy (1aa champs and beat Michigan) nuff said..

appfan2008
November 26th, 2007, 12:07 PM
jerry moore is NOT going to Duke... no way no how... he loves this place and he is going to retire here... why would he go there anyway? he has had better offers in the past and not taken them and he had worse teams at app at the time... silly to even mention him

proasu89
November 26th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Do you think they would give a successful 1aa HC at shot at Duke?

If you give these guys the recources they would get bring Duke respectability and eventually winning seasons....If so, these are the guys to go after..

Coach Clawson- Richmond (made Fordham a winner & UR is becoming an elite 1aa team)

Lembo - Elon ( great record at Lehigh and turning Elon around and fast)

Why would somebody leave a successful program to coach 3-4 years at dook before they gave you the axe?

ERASU2113
November 26th, 2007, 12:10 PM

HAHAHA, Moore would never leave ASU. Especially not for Duke....

He's got a couple more great years in Boone left in him. Then he'll ride off nto the sunset.

Most likely name something after him in KBS....like "Moore Field" or something :)

DFW HOYA
November 26th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Just today alone, turnover at Duke, Georgia Tech, and Southern Miss. No changes at the I-AA/FCS level that I've heard of.

Dick Biddle (Colgate) has been discussed for Duke but I don't think that will take plce. Tim Murphy (Harvard) might get a look but he's got a good situation at Cambridge.

Duke is 10-80 this decade with no good excuse not to be more competitive. And don't say it can't be done with a private school--ask Wake Forest.

And if you're looking for a candidate, how about this guy?

http://gamecocksonline.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/spurrierjr_steve00.html

GoldandBlack
November 26th, 2007, 12:15 PM
They should have hired Fisher DeBerry years ago before he retired- Duke might have had some success with his option offense and stunt defense.

Paul Johnson would be great for that size school with high academic standards, but he'd be insane to leave Navy for Duke. Come to think of it, most successful coaches would be insane to leave their current job for Duke.

colorless raider
November 26th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Nice name but he isn't even a coordinator.

citdog
November 26th, 2007, 12:17 PM
They should have hired Fisher DeBerry years ago before he retired- Duke might have had some success with his option offense and stunt defense.

Paul Johnson would be great for that size school with high academic standards, but he'd be insane to leave Navy for Duke. Come to think of it, most successful coaches would be insane to leave their current job for Duke.

johnson is going to nebraska.

I think lembo would be a great choice!

Higgins? xnonox xnonox xnonox

appfan2008
November 26th, 2007, 12:17 PM
I really think spurrier jr will take that job... he graduated from there and his dad took duke to their last acc title in 1989...

also the facilities at duke are really good... they have a brand new football training facility that is really nice and if they get the right coach i could see them turning this thing around into at least a 500 program in the next 5 years...

ERASU2113
November 26th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Yea there is a coach in South Carolina that would be good fit. He did win Duke's last ACC Championship.

ysubigred
November 26th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Heacock YSU xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
November 26th, 2007, 12:25 PM
You have to really really look at Biddle for the Duke job, IMO. It was considered his "dream job" and (correct em if I'm wrong 'gaters) the "only job he'd consider leaving Colgate for".

http://www.gocolgateraiders.com/roster.asp?playerid=674&sport=8&path=football

Biddle, a 1971 graduate of Duke University, was an all-Atlantic Coast Conference linebacker for two seasons. The former Blue Devil co-captain received third team Associated Press All-America honors in his senior year and was a participant in the Blue-Gray and Hula Bowl games.

Biddle is a three-time winner of Duke’s Hatchet Award, given to the most valuable player on defense. In his senior year he also received the Blue Devil Club Award as the senior who contributed the most to the team.

Biddle was elected to the all-century team at his alma mater.

putter
November 26th, 2007, 12:25 PM
If you were successful at the FCS level why would you not look at Duke? Your salary will be around $300k and all you can do is go up. Seems like a good risk to me.

appfan2008
November 26th, 2007, 12:27 PM
You have to really really look at Biddle for the Duke job, IMO. It was considered his "dream job" and (correct em if I'm wrong 'gaters) the "only job he'd consider leaving Colgate for".

certainly looks like a solid candidate... as a fan of duke i would love for them to keep it in house like this or spurrier jr

WUTNDITWAA
November 26th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Yea there is a coach in South Carolina that would be good fit. He did win Duke's last ACC Championship.

Resume? My resume is in the trophy case.xlolx

Syntax Error
November 26th, 2007, 12:29 PM
What's "1aa" ????????????????

CID1990
November 26th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Maybe they will take Spurrier back. If he has another nose dive like this year he'll need the job. HAR HAR!

citdog
November 26th, 2007, 12:33 PM
What's "1aa" ????????????????

you must spread some rep around before..........xlolx xrulesx

APPSTER
November 26th, 2007, 12:50 PM
What about JMU's Mickey Math.......oh yeah, that....never mind......xconfusedx

TheKDL
November 26th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Moore just signed an extension, he's not leaving!

The Moody1
November 26th, 2007, 01:48 PM
What about JMU's Mickey Math.......oh yeah, that....never mind......xconfusedx

As long as they don't steal Bobby "The Brain" away from Furman I will be happy. ;)

Tribe4SF
November 26th, 2007, 02:01 PM
If Dave Clawson is interested, I would think he'd be a leading candidate.

Pards Rule
November 26th, 2007, 02:10 PM

I would bet they would be interested in Frank Tavani too!

Lehigh Football Nation
November 26th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Can I fax Tavani's resume to Duke's athletic department? xlolx

I like the sound of this:

Head Coach Frank Tavani
OC Tom Masella
DC Dick Biddle
Linebackers Coach Tom Gilmore

Don't forget Heffner. Bring that guy over there too!

xlolx

BigApp
November 26th, 2007, 02:27 PM
for years, I've felt the ONLY job I could see JMoore leaving Boone for is Nebraska.

Mountaineer#96
November 26th, 2007, 02:42 PM
He isn't going anywhere.......he is a straight shooter and he has been preaching his intentions of staying in the high country forever for sometime now.

BigApp
November 26th, 2007, 02:51 PM
He isn't going anywhere.......he is a straight shooter and he has been preaching his intentions of staying in the high country forever for sometime now.

I agree with you, especially at this stage of his life. Just stating that IMO the only job he would have left us for is Nebraska.

That ain't happenin' now, but I do think he'd give them 5 years great years or so. Enough time to get Gill some more experience under his belt.

colorless raider
November 26th, 2007, 03:14 PM

Head Coach Frank Tavani
OC Tom Masella
DC Dick Biddle

xlolx

That's a good one LFN. I guess they won't take Coen.xlolx

Pards Rule
November 26th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Wow what a staff that would make!! OLC Heffner added in there! OMG!!

MplsBison
November 26th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Bohl was the DCoord at Duke in 95. I wonder if they'd be interested in him and if he'd be interested in them?

Eight Legger
November 26th, 2007, 04:09 PM
If Coach Clawson wants this job, I hope he takes it as soon as we win the national championship. If we don't, I doubt he will jump. It is a bad job, but at the same time, it is an ACC job. For any young up-and-coming coach to go there, it would take about a 6 year deal, IMO. Why give up your reputation to go languish there, get canned and then have to start all over working your way back up? Not worth it unless you have some real job security and a true commitment to building a winner. I have no doubt Clawson could do it there, but I think in a few years he will have some much better options if he wants them.

LBPop
November 26th, 2007, 04:15 PM

Head Coach Frank Tavani
OC Tom Masella
DC Dick Biddle

xlolx

I believe I would pay a good chunk of dough to sit in on one of those staff meetings. xeekx

Fordham
November 26th, 2007, 04:31 PM
If you were successful at the FCS level why would you not look at Duke? Your salary will be around $300k and all you can do is go up. Seems like a good risk to me.
I agree.

If you turn them into even a marginal winner you'd have shots to use it as a springboard to a big time program.

If you turn them into even a .500 club, you'd either be there for a while or even still get bigger offers.

If you don't do much, you end up fired after a few years but overall the blame goes back to the program since so many before you have tried and failed and there would still be a ton of schools looking to sign you since you have that experience AND already won at your previous schools.

Given their experience at both turning programs around AND doing it at top academic schools, I would think that Clawson and Biddle would both be on a short list for the job as long as they're interested in it. I'd be surprised if Clawson wasn't interested in it, unless Richmond gets to the championship game and he has even bigger offers. He was always clear and direct while at Fordham that his goal was to continue to move up to as big a program as possible.

Biddle, I'm not so sure about. From what I've read he was definitely interested a few years back but may have settled in on Colgate as his final HC job. Definitely going to be interesting. I'll bet there were no bigger fans of Duke the past few years than Colgate fans hoping that the job wouldn't come open any time soon!

ERASU2113
November 26th, 2007, 04:55 PM
You guys are making it sound like they will not have a coach until the week before next season....the candidate list is getting loooooooooonnnnnnggggggggg hahahaha

TheValleyRaider
November 26th, 2007, 06:04 PM

It is true. However, Biddle has also said something to the effect that he's retiring after his current contract runs out (2011 I think?), and that when he signed the extension around 2004, it was going to be his last contract. This is all hearsay, and someone like 13 would be more able to give you the truth of the situation.

All that said, I'm not going to sleep too easy until I hear Duke's named someone other than Biddle to be their Coach

ngineer
November 26th, 2007, 07:20 PM
I think Biddle would be a great candidate...IF he wants it. He's been at CU for so long now, he can probably retire there is he wants. That said--how old is Dick? If they offered him a long-enough term that would cover to retirement, then go for it. But to go for only 4-5 years wouldn't make sense.
Any of the others mentioned would also be good: Higgins, Murphy, Lembo, though I don't know if Lembo has 'shown enough' yet with his age. Another couple winning seasons at Elon and he'll be gone, but I don't know if 1 winning season is enough for a BCS school to jump at him. Lehigh was different. He inherited a program that Higgins and a great staff had rounded up. Some think the program started to slide under him, recruiting-wise and with S&C, which is what Coen has tried to emphasize more in his two years. Higgins has definitely shown the ability to build with two tough schools to recruit for. Plus his limited time in the NFL, albeit with the lowly Lions, still gives the resume a little (and I do mean a little) panache.
I also forgot about Clawson--I think he's ready for a BCS gig, too, if he wants it. I don't know if he'll be able to get much more done at Richmond than he already has. Small school in the big CAA with very good academics. Sort of like Wofford in the SoCon. Like Higgins, he's shown he can build a program.

TheValleyRaider
November 26th, 2007, 07:40 PM
I think Biddle would be a great candidate...IF he wants it. He's been at CU for so long now, he can probably retire there is he wants. That said--how old is Dick? If they offered him a long-enough term that would cover to retirement, then go for it. But to go for only 4-5 years wouldn't make sense.

He graduated from Duke in 1971, so if we assume he was 22 at the time, that would make him 58 right now. Not too old, but at a point in his life where moving could be tough, especially since he can stay at Colgate pretty much forever at this point.

I'll also throw in he is currently tied with the legendary Andy Kerr for most wins in Colgate history with 95. His next victory will put him all alone at #1. It would be a real shame if he leaves before breaking that record.

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 26th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Jack Siedlecki, Yale
Dick Biddle, Colgate
but,
more than likely somebody from Central Michigan or from the Sunbelt, .....

APPSTER
November 26th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Duke has grabbed a coach from Elon before....Red Wilson back in the 70's. Maybe Duke will grab Lembo and he'll take Riddle with him.

appfan2008
November 26th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Duke has grabbed a coach from Elon before....Red Wilson back in the 70's. Maybe Duke will grab Lembo and he'll take Riddle with him.

as a duke fan on the side... i would love to see riddle at duke bc... A)he would make duke better and B) he wouldnt face ASU anymore!!!

TheKDL
November 26th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Anyone who has ever played EA NCAA Football is a good candidate to be the coach at Duke... GO UNC!

furpal87
November 27th, 2007, 12:03 AM
As the son of a Duke alum and a huge Duke b-ball fan, who would like to see Duke successful in football, here's what I feel.

1) Need a coach who has been successful as a coordinator in FBS or head coach in FCS.
2) A coach who will run either a gimmick or wide open offense.
3) Someone who will push the administration to support football
4) Someone respected enough to get a few great position coaches and coordinators there.

Any ideas??
How about the Wofford coach, especially if they make a deep run in the playoffs.-

Just a few thoughts.

Eyes of Old Main
November 27th, 2007, 12:42 AM
How about the Wofford coach, especially if they make a deep run in the playoffs.

Coach Ayers already has his dream job. He'll stay at Wofford until he retires. He's universally loved by Wofford fans, has his program in place with long time assistants and former players on his staff, and life is good. He turned Army away a few years ago and anytime the subject comes up the first thing out of his mouth is "Bigger is not better".

Eyes of Old Main
November 27th, 2007, 12:43 AM
Kent Briggs is available. Don Powers, too, for that matter.

asu7
November 27th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Kent Briggs is available. Don Powers, too, for that matter.

Kent Briggs at DUKE ....
xlmaox

that is funny