PDA

View Full Version : Home/Away sides for championship game?

NC Mountaineer
November 25th, 2007, 05:54 PM
According to the NCAA handbook, the NCAA flips a coin after the 16 team field is set to decide which half of the bracket will be on the home side for the championship game in Chattanooga...anybody know what the result of that coin flip was??

bcrawf
November 25th, 2007, 06:09 PM
I will make it easy for all of you App fans that have been so worried about this for 3 weeks now...

If you go to Chatty, you will sit on the 'Visitor Side', you are 3 hours from Chatty and they want it to look good on TV. You will wear your White Jerseys. Get over it and move on...

NC Mountaineer
November 25th, 2007, 06:15 PM
a little bitterness there?? I'm not asking about how it looks on tv...that's obvious. But what are the chances IF ASU makes it there three years in a row that they will be on the visitor's side? And this question isn't just for App fans, but for anyone with an interest in the outcome of the coinflip, if indeed there really is one.

bcrawf
November 25th, 2007, 06:19 PM
No bitterness, you guys out played us in 05 and deserved to win the game.

There is no coinflip, I would almost guarantee you, it is based on what will look best on TV. In fact in 05, we were told that we would wear white unless App State won because chances were they were going to bring more fans. I guess always wearing white is the 'downside' of being so darn close to Chatty...

feb18blacksunday
November 25th, 2007, 06:20 PM
The man's right the TV peeps want it to look like the event is well attended. If ASU makes it back to Chatty I look forward to being on the same side of the field again.

feb18blacksunday
November 25th, 2007, 06:21 PM
No bitterness, you guys out played us in 05 and deserved to win the game.

There is no coinflip, I would almost guarantee you, it is based on what will look best on TV. In fact in 05, we were told that we would wear white unless App State won because chances were they were going to bring more fans. I guess always wearing white is the 'downside' of being so darn close to Chatty...

We'd rather wear Black.

bcrawf
November 25th, 2007, 06:22 PM
I think you guys have had pretty good luck in white, eh?? ;)

feb18blacksunday
November 25th, 2007, 06:39 PM
That's true. Why mess up a good thing.

bcrawf
November 25th, 2007, 06:44 PM
That's true. Why mess up a good thing.

See I am always looking out for you App Fans...xsmiley_wix

feb18blacksunday
November 25th, 2007, 06:48 PM
We appreciate the help. Hope we get to see UNI in Chatty, they are an outstanding team. Did that Varner kid who played against App go pro?

ASU88
November 25th, 2007, 08:12 PM
I will make it easy for all of you App fans that have been so worried about this for 3 weeks now...

If you go to Chatty, you will sit on the 'Visitor Side', you are 3 hours from Chatty and they want it to look good on TV. You will wear your White Jerseys. Get over it and move on...

Correction. We will sit on the Visitor side. We will sit on the Home side. We will stand between the two. We will be EVERYWHERE! xnodx

ASU88
November 25th, 2007, 08:14 PM
I think you guys have had pretty good luck in white, eh?? ;)
Actually, I prefer the white. I think the white top over black pants looks better. Our three biggest wins have all come in the whites.

Were it my choice ... that's what we'd wear.

feb18blacksunday
November 25th, 2007, 08:16 PM
They need to find ways to get more people in that stadium. Cause 22k seats aren't enough.

KiddBrewer
November 25th, 2007, 08:19 PM
ha how did i know that this thread would be almost completely taken up by App posters.......lets not get ahead of ourselves askin which side we'll sit on just yet....and if you say youre not talking about your own team, that being appalachian, then i would have to ask why you cared which side the teams had....lets win this week, and the next week, and then worry about it.

ball21
November 25th, 2007, 08:19 PM

There is a coin flip there UNI fan, maybe u should call Tenn, Chatt and find out who won the coin toss, that whay u can buy your tickets ahead of time and make sure u r on the right side to cheer your team on..

If we are able to make it back there again, if I remember correctly ASu fans where on the home and Visitor's side and on the hill. Main goal is for everyone is there too have a good time and congrat the other team if your teams loses.

PS Good game last week and good Luck this week..

APP Fan

TheValleyRaider
November 25th, 2007, 11:48 PM

There is a coinflip. The home/away distinction is different from which sideline a team occupies. For example, in 2003, Delaware was the "Home" team, but was seated on the "Visitors" side because of their considerable fan base.

Two different decisions xreadx

SO ILLmatic
December 2nd, 2007, 10:00 PM
Is anyone for sure which side of the bracket won the coin-toss?
Will the Del/SIU or App/Richmond winner be the home team?

Also, is the home side of Finley Stadium the side with the chairback seats between the 30s?

Lizzie_ASUband
December 2nd, 2007, 10:58 PM
They need to find ways to get more people in that stadium. Cause 22k seats aren't enough.

ditto. past two years as a band member they always told us to be prepared that stadium officials might kick us out of our seats at a moments notice up until the start of the game.

unicat87
December 3rd, 2007, 12:26 AM
There is a coin flip there UNI fan, maybe u should call Tenn, Chatt and find out who won the coin toss, that whay u can buy your tickets ahead of time and make sure u r on the right side to cheer your team on..

If we are able to make it back there again, if I remember correctly ASu fans where on the home and Visitor's side and on the hill. Main goal is for everyone is there too have a good time and congrat the other team if your teams loses.

PS Good game last week and good Luck this week..

APP Fan

While I wish UNI would have won in 2005 (and how!) (and against Deleware on Saturday), you have hit the nail square on the head when you write that the "main goal is for everyone there to have a good time", etc. That 2005 final was a heckuva football game, perhaps the best I have ever seen. Tremendous sportsmanship amid incredible competition and as a result, I think an incredible respect exists between UNI and ASU folks who were there (and also among some who weren't). I would have wanted to be seated with more UNI fans, as most of those around me for the 2005 final were either Appy fans (or locals from the Chattanooga area, who were quite hospitable and thanks for that I kept my hands warm with a pair of hand warmers they gave me, reminder to those going to the game that it can get cold there, I should have worn gloves and will next time I go to the final). So, as it happened, I saw many of the UNI folk before the game, after the game, and the next morning while sight-seeing in Chattanooga and despite the loss, had a pretty good time considering. So, it might not matter so much which side of the stadium where your seats are located. -unicat87

chattanoogamocs
December 3rd, 2007, 12:56 AM
Traditionally the Sports Committee will put the team they think will have the biggest crowd (based on ticket requests from each school) in the North side stands (what some would call the visitor side). This is the side opposite the chairback seats and the skyboxes.

As pointed out, this is done because the TV camera are pointed that way so they want to make sure the North stands are completely full (which, of course, hasn't been an issue the last two years).

The school projected to have the smaller crowd typically is seated on the South side stands (skybox side of the stadium)...along with the majority of the locally bought tickets (and UC season ticket holders).

The overflow temporary bleachers on the East end zone are just up for grabs the week of the game.

As already pointed out, the home/away designation for the teams has nothing to do with where the fans will sit.

Normally there is an article in the Times Free Press each year before the semis and the Sports Committee chair will say how many tickets each school tentively requested. Chattanooga plays #12 Tennessee-Knoxville tomorrow night in basketball at home (celebrating the 25th anniversary of our Arena), so the paper is kinda distracted with that right now (there were 5 article about the Arena/game in today's paper).

If I have time, I will call Merrill Eckstein today and ask him how many tickets were requested by the four remaining schools.

bamamountaineer1013
December 3rd, 2007, 07:53 PM
We'd rather wear Black.

Any other time yes...but you could say that those are our Championship Whites.

I have tickets on the Visitor Side of the Stadium...Regardless of what team they seat there, I hope to be in attendance rooting for my Apps

appfan2008
December 3rd, 2007, 08:03 PM
i look forward to hearing what you find out about the tickets requested chattanooga mocs... you always are so helpful come title game time...

bobbythekidd
December 3rd, 2007, 08:45 PM
FWIW, GSU has had a bit of success wearing the "away" whites.

Syntax Error
December 3rd, 2007, 08:48 PM
The home team coinflip will be done after the semifinal games.

chattanoogamocs
December 3rd, 2007, 11:49 PM
A blurb from an article in the T-FP today:

Merrill Eckstein, president of the Greater Chattanooga Sports and Events Committee, the group that organizes the championship game, said more than 12,000 tickets have already been sold. Each school is allotted a minimum of 1,500, he said, and the Mountaineers, should they play for the title, would likely want as many as 10,000.

Does that mean he'll be rooting for Appalachian State on Friday?

"I'm not rooting for anyone," he said diplomatically, though his laughter suggested otherwise.

chattanoogamocs
December 3rd, 2007, 11:51 PM
BTW...I remember just 4 short years ago, the complaint was that Chattanooga could never get any fans (to have a full house)...now we are having trouble finding enough seats for all of them. :) <-nice problem to have Sounds like it is time to find some bigger portable bleachers!

AppMan
December 4th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Actually, I prefer the white. I think the white top over black pants looks better. Our three biggest wins have all come in the whites.

Were it my choice ... that's what we'd wear.

I like the white / black combo better myself. Being an old school guy I would like to see gold pants at home. However, its hard to argue against that combo with two National Championships and a win over Michigan.