PDA

View Full Version : Boogs vs. Sagarin

JohnStOnge
November 25th, 2007, 05:38 PM
This is the kind of thing I've been talking to Boogs about. See how his system compares in terms of prediction to more established systems.

I looked at the 9 FCS games played this past weekend. 8 playoff games plus the Bayou Classic. Higher ranked teams according to Boogs won 4 times. Higher ranked teams according to Sagarin won 7 times (alas, the only Sagarin higher rated playoff team of a pair to lose was McNeese).

Both systems missed on the Bayou Classic and the EWU/McNeese playoff game. However, in all three cases in which the two systems disagreed (DSU/Delaware, JMU/App, Montana/Wofford), the Sagarin favorite prevailed.

That's not quite a "significant" difference by convention. The probability that Sagarin would "beat" Boogs system by chance in all three disagreements is 0.125; or one chance in 8.

But that's the idea in terms of how I think he ought to evaluate his system to validate it.

Can't rag him too much on Grambling losing to Southern because Sagarin picked Grambling for that one too.

BlueHen86
November 25th, 2007, 05:46 PM
John, nice effort xthumbsupx but you are spending way to much time on this. I don't need a study to tell me the Bradley-Terry rankings suck anymore than I need one to tell me that 2+2=4.

JohnStOnge
November 25th, 2007, 05:55 PM
John, nice effort xthumbsupx but you are spending way to much time on this. I don't need a study to tell me the Bradley-Terry rankings suck anymore than I need one to tell me that 2+2=4.

It's more for Boogs than for you.

BlueHen86
November 25th, 2007, 06:20 PM
It's more for Boogs than for you.

So was my response.;)