PDA

View Full Version : The Griz Missed Field Goal : (

Grizaholic17
November 25th, 2007, 12:49 PM
I took this video at the game thinking we were going to get the win. My whole section actually thought the field goal went in, so we all celebrated, only to find out that it wasn't meant to be. Great job Wofford.

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=22716282

Here's some other videos I took.

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=22714678

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=22715056

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=22720904

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=22720308

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=22717871

appfan2008
November 25th, 2007, 12:52 PM
looks like a great crowd and some great videos... great game by the griz and the terriers

Grizalltheway
November 25th, 2007, 01:00 PM
I was in the south end zone and knew it was going left as soon as he kicked it. Almost everyone in the northeast part of the stadium thought it was good, they even fired the cannon. xnonono2x

DuckDuckGriz
November 25th, 2007, 01:02 PM
This reminds me of the 99 first round game against YSU. The southendzone thought the kick was good as Heppner slipped on his butt.

Grizaholic17
November 25th, 2007, 01:06 PM
I was in the south end zone and knew it was going left as soon as he kicked it. Almost everyone in the northeast part of the stadium thought it was good, they even fired the cannon. xnonono2x

Yeah, i think the cannon threw everyone off. But I think they fired it because it was end of game. Sad way to go out for carpenter.

uofmman1122
November 25th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Lied in bed for 2 hours last night replaying that field goal in my head. Finally fell asleep at 3:00...Shouldn't have come down to that, but I'm not going to forget that kick for a long time, unfortunately. :(

Hope I can see Dan Carpenter sometime on campus so I can shake his freaking hand. That one miss is overshadowed by so many other great kicks. I really wish him the best of luck. One of the finest Griz players of all time! :)

Grizaholic17
November 25th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Lied in bed for 2 hours last night replaying that field goal in my head. Finally fell asleep at 3:00...Shouldn't have come down to that, but I'm not going to forget that kick for a long time, unfortunately. :(

Hope I can see Dan Carpenter sometime on campus so I can shake his freaking hand. That one miss is overshadowed by so many other great kicks. I really wish him the best of luck. One of the finest Griz players of all time! :)

So true. Can't wait to see him on Sundays. Maybe the saints will pick him up.

Cleets
November 25th, 2007, 03:26 PM
He'll get a shot at somebody's training camp... I don't think he'll get drafted though... (That kick hurts him more than just losing that game)

mvemjsunpx
November 25th, 2007, 04:05 PM
He'll get a shot at somebody's training camp... I don't think he'll get drafted though... (That kick hurts him more than just losing that game)

He wasn't going to get drafted anyway.

Very few kickers get drafted each year.

Blue42
November 25th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Good god that crowd is loud as the kicker comes on the field.

From all the video I've seen, looked like the snap was a bit inside but not sure if that effected the kick at all.

If I'm a referee working a game in Wash/Griz stadium I'm bringing a national guard unit along to get me out of there in case I have to drop a flag late in the game.

TokyoGriz
November 25th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Great game by the terriers.

The griz shot themsleves in the foot with inept offensive playing. Cole B. the QB was talking about how their last 2 drives should have ended in TDs, not field goals.

Of course the lack of offense allowed the terriers on the field, then they had their dream come true. Stretch the clock and make 7 points for the win as the clock burned out.

Montana allowed the terriers to stay in the game with poor offensive performance and they know it.

Cant expect the kicker to carry the weight of the whole team all the time.

Honestly, I think BH is not up for coaching at the level he is at. The Montana team has been going sideways even slipping back since he arrived as head coach.

Hopefully Bobby Huack will either move to another school soon so the griz can get some fresh blood in as coach. The offensive cordinator Rob P. needs to hit the road with him.

peauxrouge
November 25th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Great game by the terriers.

The griz shot themsleves in the foot with inept offensive playing. Cole B. the QB was talking about how their last 2 drives should have ended in TDs, not field goals.

Of course the lack of offense allowed the terriers on the field, then they had their dream come true. Stretch the clock and make 7 points for the win as the clock burned out.

Montana allowed the terriers to stay in the game with poor offensive performance and they know it.

Cant expect the kicker to carry the weight of the whole team all the time.

Honestly, I think BH is not up for coaching at the level he is at. The Montana team has been going sideways even slipping back since he arrived as head coach.

Hopefully Bobby Huack will either move to another school soon so the griz can get some fresh blood in as coach. The offensive cordinator Rob P. needs to hit the road with him.

OK, I will call BS on you. Slipping backwards? Two undefeated conference schedules and a perfect regular season this year. WTF? We had a poor offensive performance? They outgained us in total yards by 386 to 325. Yep, we should have had a few TDs where we kicked a FG and it really is too bad that Overton jumped offsides when we had a 3rd and goal from the 1. That's the breaks. Wofford has a great team from a great conference. They were all class and very disciplined, I was very impressed with their team. To say our program has regressed because we didn't win it all is short sighted to say the least. I really am starting to believe we are the most spoiled fans in the FCS.

griz8791
November 25th, 2007, 09:29 PM
I really am starting to believe we are the most spoiled fans in the FCS.

Who else even comes close?

Torgo
November 25th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Hell, I've only been following the Griz for a few years and I'm already spoiled.

Pair them up with my NFL team (Pittsburgh born and raised, Steeler fan by law) and my teams have missed the playoffs just 6 times in the past 15 years. Winning is expected, it takes the fun out of it.

griz8791
November 25th, 2007, 09:37 PM
You say it like there's no shame in it. I think it sucks.

Torgo
November 25th, 2007, 09:41 PM
It does suck. It makes winning expected and makes it far less sweet than it should be and losing hurt so much worse.

It's amazing how a couple bad seasons can make you appreciate winning so much more. Hockey is my favorite sport and the Penguins are my favorite team. They made the playoffs for 11 straight years before dropping off and finishing near the bottom of the standings for a few years. Last year they made the playoffs for the first time in six years and it was amazing. They lost in the first round, but no one cared because we were just so happy to get back into the playoffs.

Steelers losses hurt 20 times more than Penguins losses because winning has become expected.

GrizFamily
November 25th, 2007, 09:56 PM

Tell me about it. I was in the front row of that section and I thought it was good until the refs waived it off. What a let down.

On another note, my hats off to the Woofies. What a disciplined team they proved to be. Many teams have come into WA Griz and totally lost their composure, but Wofford never did. They executed well and even when they made a mistake, they regained their composure enough not to let us capitalize on them. Congrats.

GrizFamily
November 25th, 2007, 10:00 PM

TOUCHÉ!! The few spoil it for the majority though. I was embarrassed by some of my fellow fans after the game. Some very unflattering stuff that I will not go into.

Griz40
November 25th, 2007, 10:05 PM

I agree with you. Plain and simple this game should not have come down to a field goal. He is a great kicker and it is good to hear you would shake his hand. I hate to agree with you on the point that this one attempt will overshadow his career....but I don't see how I can't agree. That is a bad bad kicker. Heppner got his shot in the pro's. I hope I see Carpenter get his shot and make it stick!

Squealofthepig
November 25th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Yeah - hate to see it end like that for the Griz and Carpenter, but man, what a game, and hats off to the Terriers for a gritty game (and one of the best in recent memory). We had our chances and didn't capitalize, and Wofford did everything they needed to do to win, and did it with class. Their conference may have two wins in the playoffs by outscoring their opponents by a total of two points, but hey, they scored the points that mattered.

Kinda hated to see McNeese lose, because otherwise, Wofford's path to the championship could have seen them win at the rock, WaGriz and the hole!

KNUTS
November 25th, 2007, 10:17 PM

I heard Mick and Gurnz say that fans were hitting the exits even before the kick!! That makes me want to vomit! Wait I did that already last night... alcohol induced of course. I'm proud to be a Griz and even more proud after a loss like that and seeing how real Griz fans conduct themselves after a heartbreaker.

Griz40
November 25th, 2007, 10:19 PM
OK, I will call BS on you. Slipping backwards? Two undefeated conference schedules and a perfect regular season this year. WTF? We had a poor offensive performance? They outgained us in total yards by 386 to 325. Yep, we should have had a few TDs where we kicked a FG and it really is too bad that Overton jumped offsides when we had a 3rd and goal from the 1. That's the breaks. Wofford has a great team from a great conference. They were all class and very disciplined, I was very impressed with their team. To say our program has regressed because we didn't win it all is short sighted to say the least. I really am starting to believe we are the most spoiled fans in the FCS.

I will call bs on you...the offense has slipped slowly over the past 5 years. Wofford played a great game, no doubt. Our offense has regressed. We are the most spoiled fans...dont' get that confused. But that does not change the fact that the offense has not held up like the defense has over time. We had a great year. Our offense has a lot of work to do however. The fact that we didn't win it all is not at all why this loss stings. This loss stings because we lost to a team that in the past we could have lit up. Our defense played an amazing game....the offense could not keep up with the defense.

Squealofthepig
November 25th, 2007, 10:22 PM
I heard Mick and Gurnz say that fans were hitting the exits even before the kick!! That makes me want to vomit! Wait I did that already last night... alcohol induced of course. I'm proud to be a Griz and even more proud after a loss like that and seeing how real Griz fans conduct themselves after a heartbreaker.

Yeah, heard that as well, and was like, wtf? Granted, it was a first round playoff game after Thanksgiving, but still, no Griz fan leaves the stadium whatsoever (except at half to get refilled on their Griz cheer of choice... man, I'm still bitter that Big Sky Brewing has stopped production of Slow Elk Stout...)

uofmman1122
November 25th, 2007, 10:25 PM
I agree with you. Plain and simple this game should not have come down to a field goal. He is a great kicker and it is good to hear you would shake his hand. I hate to agree with you on the point that this one attempt will overshadow his career....but I don't see how I can't agree. That is a bad bad kicker. Heppner got his shot in the pro's. I hope I see Carpenter get his shot and make it stick!No no no, I said that his career success will overshadow this one missed kick. I don't even know if it's the one I'll remember the most. EWU earlier this year!? Even more impressive: The Cal Poly game last year!? Talk about clutch kicking under pressure! Dan will always be "Clutch Carpenter" to me. You can't make them all, but he nearly did. xthumbsupx

ursus arctos horribilis
November 25th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Yeah, heard that as well, and was like, wtf? Granted, it was a first round playoff game after Thanksgiving, but still, no Griz fan leaves the stadium whatsoever (except at half to get refilled on their Griz cheer of choice... man, I'm still bitter that Big Sky Brewing has stopped production of Slow Elk Stout...)

I didn't see that anywhere. Don't know what they saw or where it was happening but I was on the East Side about 40 yd. line and just didn't see it happening anywhere.

Squealofthepig
November 25th, 2007, 10:33 PM
I didn't see that anywhere. Don't know what they saw or where it was happening but I was on the East Side about 40 yd. line and just didn't see it happening anywhere.

That's good to know. Was just listening to the radio broadcast while watching the video cast - I couldn't see the crowd either. I've never seen anything but rabid cheering at Wa-Griz, and hated to even entertain the idea of fair weather Griz fans. Yeah, we're spoiled, but we still stay and cheer to the bitter end. We're not Notre Dame fans, after all. :)

peauxrouge
November 25th, 2007, 11:43 PM

I did see that, two old fuddies sitting right next to me got up and bolted as the kicking team came on the field. Odd that you can't sit for a minute longer for arguably the most exciting play of the game.

peauxrouge
November 25th, 2007, 11:49 PM
I will call bs on you...the offense has slipped slowly over the past 5 years. Wofford played a great game, no doubt. Our offense has regressed. We are the most spoiled fans...dont' get that confused. But that does not change the fact that the offense has not held up like the defense has over time. We had a great year. Our offense has a lot of work to do however. The fact that we didn't win it all is not at all why this loss stings. This loss stings because we lost to a team that in the past we could have lit up. Our defense played an amazing game....the offense could not keep up with the defense.

The D had an amazing game? Now, sure, they got a few turnovers and that was nice, but from where I was sitting, the D was coughing up 5 to 7 yards per carry. We only shut them down a few times the whole game. Now, I can attribute that to Wofford having a good plan and running an offense that we are not really accustomed to, but all the same, they ran it down our throats when the game was on the line and their last touchdown came up the gut with the RB barely touched.

Griz40
November 26th, 2007, 12:17 AM
The D had an amazing game? Now, sure, they got a few turnovers and that was nice, but from where I was sitting, the D was coughing up 5 to 7 yards per carry. We only shut them down a few times the whole game. Now, I can attribute that to Wofford having a good plan and running an offense that we are not really accustomed to, but all the same, they ran it down our throats when the game was on the line and their last touchdown came up the gut with the RB barely touched.
Yes the D had an amazing game. Notice I said game......wish they hadn't let that one play through but one play does not make a game. They threw a lot at us and we handled it well but just could not score on them. Getting run over to me would have been an offense that would have scored on us at will....that was not the Wofford offense.

TokyoGriz
November 26th, 2007, 12:37 AM

This is my sentiment as well. Bobby has kept the boat afloat, but how have we gotten better? How many 1st round exits in the last few years? We have made it to the playoff 15 years, but that means little with leaving the playoffs in the first round.

I find it amusing that some people think that just making it to the playoffs then exiting the first round is terrific. Its not when we all know that Montana has the support in terms of players and community to make it farther every year.

The offense has NOT gotten better with his leadership, and has been slipping downhill without dropdowns to save it.

Our offensive line so hailed before the beggining of the year really struggled. Why? Because they arent big enough? Their huge compared many of their opponents. Is it skill or coaching thats the issue?

But I agree that losing the game wasnt the main issue. Its how we lost with such poor performance on the offensive side thats the salt in the wound. Marginal to poor performance by the O-line and the QB has plagued the Griz all year.

I look forward to Bobby Hauck and his lame offensive coordinator in Rob P. leaving for CSU or wherever. Though I have a feeling CSU might make him leave Rob P. in the dust. Time for new blood and fresh energy in our program. Hopefully they will get someone who wants a decent offense.

Poly Pigskin
November 26th, 2007, 04:39 AM
No no no, I said that his career success will overshadow this one missed kick. I don't even know if it's the one I'll remember the most. EWU earlier this year!? Even more impressive: The Cal Poly game last year!? Talk about clutch kicking under pressure! Dan will always be "Clutch Carpenter" to me. You can't make them all, but he nearly did. xthumbsupx

The kick against Cal Poly last year was one of the ugliest made field goals I've seen. It had some wicked english on it, and I'm pretty sure it would have missed from 5 yards further out. I'm sure he's a fine kicker, I just wouldn't point to that kick as the pinnacle of his career.

AZGrizFan
November 26th, 2007, 08:19 AM
The kick against Cal Poly last year was one of the ugliest made field goals I've seen. It had some wicked english on it, and I'm pretty sure it would have missed from 5 yards further out. I'm sure he's a fine kicker, I just wouldn't point to that kick as the pinnacle of his career.

I'd give you that one back for a do-over on Saturday's kick.... xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx