PDA

View Full Version : Separated at 1978?

Wmbgskip
November 24th, 2007, 12:19 PM
As I'm watching ESPN2, rooting for UVA to beat the snot out of VT, I got to thinking....which FCS and FBS conferences mirror each other on their respective levels?

FCS->FBS
Patriot=ACC -- Typically considered a weak sister by the other conferences, nevertheless, there seems to be a team that makes a run at the top every other year or so.

Big Sky=Pac-10 -- Just like the Pac-10, aficionados and partisans trumpet loudly that the conference is more than just one school and a bunch of dwarves, but the rest of the country just says "Sure, whatever"...until those rare seasons when the dwarves go on the warpath.

Gateway=Big 10 -- To a lesser degree, the same as the Big Sky/Pac-10 ... sure, you've got UNI/Michigan, Youngstown/Ohio State, and SIU/pick your third, but then the rest of the conference makes you say "Whom?"

PFL=Big East -- A bunch scrubs, annually dominated by someone who makes a lot of noise about wanting to be included among the big boys...when all is said and done, welcome to the Gridiron Classic/Peach Bowl.

MEAC=WAC -- Great stats, but where's the strength of schedule?

Southland=Conference USA -- A much stronger comparison pre-CFBquake of 2004, when you had teams like Louisville and Cincinnati still in the CUSA.

OVC=MWC -- Are these still conferences?

Great West=MAC -- There's always those giant killers lurking....

Big South=Sun Belt -- Do I need to explain?

Southern=Big 12 -- Acknowledged as powers, even when the traditional schools are a bit down, because the munchins jump up and rabble-rouse until the big boys are ready to step back to the front. But, it always seems to work out in their favor anyway.

CAA=SEC -- Top-to-bottom, the toughest in the land. And they let everyone know about it, too. There are always the detractors, because there always seems to be that ugly skeleton in a team's closet. When the national title or No. 1 ranking is on the line, it's a toss-up whether the school powers through, or has a brain-fart.

What're your match-ups?

--Skip