PDA

View Full Version : Great sportsmanship from Hornet fans, but then what happened?

OhioHen
November 24th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Having traveled from the Cincinnati area to Newark for the historic first meeting of the Hens and Hornets, my son and I had the pleasure of sitting in a section with many knowledgable Hornet fans. There was some good-hearted smack going on (as there should have been) but overall the mood was festive and everyone was courteous. Fans of both teams were quire respectful (except for one guy supporting UD). It was a great atmosphere in which to watch the game.

Until....

Halftime. About half the seats in our vicinity emptied out (not unusual), but when play resumed, very few of the DSU supporters who had stepped away returned. xsmhx

Third quarter. Each time the Hens scored, and each time the Hornets failed to score, the ranks of the DSU "faithful" thinned considerably. In fact, each UD first down led to an increased exodus. xnonox

When DSU finally scored on the fumble recovery return, my son (a Hens fan from before birth) applauded the effort and success of the Hornets. Sadly, his clapping was 50% of the appreciative support for DSU I heard at that time.

93BlueHen
November 24th, 2007, 07:55 AM
I found the DSU fans classy as well. Regarding the exodus, I was on the home side and I saw UD fans trickling out en masse as well. That's what happens when two teams are such a mismatch.

Now, I did have one beef with DSU and that was their band. When UD's center was injured and writhing on the field in pain and well after four UD medical staffers were huddled over him, the DSU band began playing a song. None of the DSU chearleaders knelt while he was down, as is customary in football. The band did remain quiet however when a DSU player was injured and the chearleaders knelt out of concern. The DSU band also played through an entire UD offensive play from whistle to whistle.

So, in summary, DSU fans in stands = classy.

DSU head coach = classy.

DSU band and chearleaders = no class.

Herdman
November 24th, 2007, 08:38 AM
What are the chances that is becomes the season opener for both teams in the future?

Intrepid
November 24th, 2007, 08:45 AM
What are the chances that is becomes the season opener for both teams in the future?

Former Delaware coach on why UD don't play DSU in football "you're watching one of the reasons"

The Hornets are too inferior I guess. The answer to your question is no...They won't be playing anytime soon.

spdram
November 24th, 2007, 09:02 AM
It would be a shame if they didn't begin playing one another, even if it only once every other year.

Tubby Raymond
November 24th, 2007, 09:52 AM
The exodus makes them unclassy. 1st playoff appearance and you leave before the last tick of the clock, terrible.

Dane96
November 24th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Except for the cheerleader thing, you guys are over the top about the classlessness of DSU fans for leaving.

That is not unsportsmanlike, rather they should be ashamed that they left when their OWN team was still fighting. The DSU PLAYERS SHOULD be mad...if at all.

Not UD.

93BlueHen
November 24th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Here's the President of DSU indicating the number of points his offense scored on the day:

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee234/93bluehen/sessoms.jpg

downbythebeach
November 24th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Can't blame them, I would have left too