PDA

View Full Version : Should They Play Again?

Intrepid
November 24th, 2007, 07:40 AM
After that embarrassing lost to the Blue Hens, I am not in favor of any match up between DSU vs UD unless the DSU have a quality team that can take on the Hens head to head. DSU was over matched in every category. It was painful watching that game yesterday. Forget about UD scheduling DSU for a regular game. These are two different teams, let them go their separate ways. :(

FCS Preview
November 24th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Yes...Hofstra played St. John's something like 20 times in MBB before beating them the first time...now they have beaten them consistently.

I think UD vs. DSU would be a better game than Delaware-West Chester.

JTCowboy
November 24th, 2007, 07:59 AM
After that embarrassing lost to the Blue Hens, I am not in favor of any match up between DSU vs UD unless the DSU have a quality team that can take on the Hens head to head. DSU was over matched in every category. It was painful watching that game yesterday. Forget about UD scheduling DSU for a regular game. These are two different teams, let them go their separate ways. :(

You will only have a chance to get better and know that you are better by playing better teams, whether its UD or not. So yes, just not in the playoffs unless its McNeese.xthumbsupx ;)

Intrepid
November 24th, 2007, 08:06 AM
You will only have a chance to get better and know that you are better by playing better teams, whether its UD or not. So yes, just not in the playoffs unless its McNeese.xthumbsupx ;)

xnodx xnodx xnodx
I'm so piss off right now, not because they lost but offense was horrible. The Defense did not have a good day either.

Col Hogan
November 24th, 2007, 08:09 AM
If you always play at the same level or lower...you'll never even know what it takes to get to the next level...

I voted yes...DSU might take a few more smack-downs like yesterday...but the program will grow...

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger...xpeacex

RabidRabbit
November 24th, 2007, 08:23 AM
The MEAC teams need to step up their OOC, and actually start winning some of those games.

DSU was humbled by a very good UD team. As my humble UMass bud stated "What doesn't kill ya, make you stronger".

The MEAC will need to play their CAA neighbors more, (SoCon, Gateway, Great West, Southland) and in home/home so get to bring this level of accomplishment to home crowds.

DSU/UD should be playing about every other year or so, because it's a convenient, easy game for both teams, and start building that rivalry between Delaware's ONLY 2 D-I schools. Hope that they play in other sports to help grow each program..

And yes, I expect that once transition is nearly complete, that UxD's will be playing xDSU's, renewing our long NCC rivalries.

Uncle Buck
November 24th, 2007, 08:26 AM
...I think UD vs. DSU would be a better game than Delaware-West Chester.

Absolutely. Plus, two FCS schools in such a small state, it's a no brainer, they should play. It would certainly be a ticket that will fill seats at both stadiums, even if most of the fans are UD fans.

Herdman
November 24th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Yes, I think it should be the opening game of every season for both teams. I appreciate that DSU has a small stdium (6,500?? approx.). But until they increase seating maybe they could move their home game to Annapolis? Just a thought.

UD had a better team yesterday and a very nice crowd, but a real rivalry game could only help everyone in the State of Delaware from top to bottom.

Look at the Dakotas. Now that UND and USD are making the move up to FCS I look to the SDSU vs USD and NDSU vs UND rivalries heating up again big time. It could be the same for DSU and UD.

DFW HOYA
November 24th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Absolutely. It's a rivalry.

Intrepid
November 24th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Absolutely. It's a rivalry.

It cannot and will not be a rivalry after what happened yesterday. UD will be more interested to play West Chester rather than DSU.

spdram
November 24th, 2007, 09:18 AM
It was a true beat down, and you can take that and say no more; or you can say "we have not yet bgun to fight"!

Absolutely play again!

Herdman
November 24th, 2007, 09:20 AM
It cannot and will not be a rivalry after what happened yesterday. UD will be more interested to play West Chester rather than DSU.That is sad coming from a DSU fan. I'd think you guys would be ready for the next game so you can prove you are better than what happened yesterday. So what, that happened sometimes. Now you gotta get up and prove you're better than that and that you want to be better than that.

Come on now, it's the squeaky wheel that gets greased. UD fans are not going to clammer for this game. DSU fans have to make it happen!

Herdman
November 24th, 2007, 09:22 AM
It was a true beat down, and you can take that and say no more; or you can say "we have not yet bgun to fight"!

Absolutely play again!AMEN Brother!

Iowa State fans had to bitchen and moan for years to Iowa to play them, now look at that rivalry...it's a great series!

DFW HOYA
November 24th, 2007, 09:22 AM
It cannot and will not be a rivalry after what happened yesterday. UD will be more interested to play West Chester rather than DSU.

It always takes two, of course. (See "Howard-Georgetown".) UDel is similarly disinterested in Del State and appears to be be glad to overschedule them as well.

CSUBUCDAD
November 24th, 2007, 09:24 AM

You become the best by playing the best. In state rivalries are a great part of college football. No reason Delaware can't have one too.

AZGrizFan
November 24th, 2007, 09:33 AM
I voted no. Delaware has enough cupcakes inside their OWN conference. xlolx

Intrepid
November 24th, 2007, 09:37 AM
I voted no. Delaware has enough cupcakes inside their OWN conference. xlolx

Ummmm...interesting...who are the cupcakes??? just curious xlolx

turn1979
November 24th, 2007, 09:46 AM
I would love to see it very year. DSU would have to be ok with playing in Newark every year though. You can't play a game that 20,000 people want to see, in a 6,500 seat stadium. And the game should not be played in another state. It kind of defeats the purpose.

Tubby Raymond
November 24th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Absolutely. Plus, two FCS schools in such a small state, it's a no brainer, they should play. It would certainly be a ticket that will fill seats at both stadiums, even if most of the fans are UD fans.

I'm with you but you better check out how many brain transplants you would need for the gohens.net guys, buy them by the grossxnodx

BlueHen86
November 24th, 2007, 09:48 AM
I would love to see it very year. DSU would have to be ok with playing in Newark every year though. You can't play a game that 20,000 people want to see, in a 6,500 seat stadium. And the game should not be played in another state. It kind of defeats the purpose.
Somebody who understands. You need to post more often.xnodx

Herdman
November 24th, 2007, 09:51 AM
I would love to see it very year. DSU would have to be ok with playing in Newark every year though. You can't play a game that 20,000 people want to see, in a 6,500 seat stadium. And the game should not be played in another state. It kind of defeats the purpose.I suppose that is true, but UD needs to give up more than the general 500 guest tickets. Just wondering, but how much do you think DSU would get from the gate or would they get a flat fee game check instead of % of gate?

JohnStOnge
November 24th, 2007, 09:51 AM
I don't think one should make too much of getting blown out in the playoffs. It's happened to some very good teams over the years. Back in 1995, Stephen F. Austin went into the playoffs as the 4th ranked team. In the quarterfinals, they beat 2nd ranked Appalachian on the road 27 - 17. But in the semifinals, they lost 70 - 14 at Montana.

Speaking of the Griz, Montana has the most consistently good program in FCS. But in 1998, Montana was beaten 52 - 9 in the first round at Western Illinois.

Don't give it up because of one playoff blowout. I suspect there are few if any programs that have been in the playoffs any reasonable number of times that haven't had teams blown out at one time or another in during a tournament.

AZGrizFan
November 24th, 2007, 09:53 AM
I don't think one should make too much of getting blown out in the playoffs. It's happened to some very good teams over the years. Back in 1995, Stephen F. Austin went into the playoffs as the 4th ranked team. In the quarterfinals, they beat 2nd ranked Appalachian on the road 27 - 17. But in the semifinals, they lost 70 - 14 at Montana.

Speaking of the Griz, Montana has the most consistently good program in FCS. But in 1998, Montana was beaten 52 - 9 in the first round at Western Illinois.

Don't give it up because of one playoff blowout. I suspect there are few if any programs that have been in the playoffs any number of times that haven't had teams blown out at one time or another in the tournament.

John, if it was just one game it'd be one thing....but look at the conference record....it's indicative of a conference that doesn't deserve an autobid, and further evidence of BSC teams claims that the east is filled with a bunch of patsies and the CAA/SoCon. xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

Maroons
November 24th, 2007, 10:10 AM
One game doesn't indicate how the series would go. Sign a 4 or 6 year deal and if DSU doesn't win a game... maybe they shouldn't play. But I have a feeling a lot of the games would be more compepetive especially when Delaware had to hit the road.

BlueHen86
November 24th, 2007, 10:11 AM
I suppose that is true, but UD needs to give up more than the general 500 guest tickets. Just wondering, but how much do you think DSU would get from the gate or would they get a flat fee game check instead of % of gate?

Why should Delaware have to agree to that? If DSU agrees to the same conditions that West Chester agrees to; then I'm all in favor of adding DSU to the schedule.

As soon as DSU starts requesting things that other OOC teams don't ask for; the deals off.

This game doesn't benefit UD in anyway, UD shouldn't have to make any sacrifices for it to happen.

AZGrizFan
November 24th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Why should Delaware have to agree to that? If DSU agrees to the same conditions that West Chester agrees to; then I'm all in favor of adding DSU to the schedule.

As soon as DSU starts requesting things that other OOC teams don't ask for; the deals off.

This game doesn't benefit UD in anyway, UD shouldn't have to make any sacrifices for it to happen.

Sure it does....it's a guaranteed win towards the 7 win requirement. xnodx xnodx xnodx

FCS Preview
November 24th, 2007, 10:19 AM

If they swap WCU for DSU, it absolutely benefits UDel. It would be one more D-I win -- and ask GSU or YSU if that would have been a benefit.

GreatAppSt
November 24th, 2007, 10:22 AM
DSU would be better on any schedule than Iona and Dartmouth.

FCS Preview
November 24th, 2007, 10:24 AM
DSU would be better on any schedule than Iona and Dartmouth.

Or West Georgia or Georgetown (KY).

BlueHen86
November 24th, 2007, 10:28 AM
If they swap WCU for DSU, it absolutely benefits UDel. It would be one more D-I win -- and ask GSU or YSU if that would have been a benefit.

That argument works for any FCS team (provided you win) not just DSU. If the extra D-I win is the issue UD can schedule Sacred Heart, Savannah St. or Butler to name a few.

blueballs
November 24th, 2007, 10:34 AM

Agreed... If I'm Delaware, no way. There is absolutely nothing to gain in it for them.

The PC hacks at the nCAA and ESPN got what they wanted yesterday, and that is their societal statement; even if it meant television sets around the country (if there were any outside of the Delaware Valley that were actually tuned in) turning the channel at or even before halftime.

JohnStOnge
November 24th, 2007, 10:37 AM
John, if it was just one game it'd be one thing....but look at the conference record....it's indicative of a conference that doesn't deserve an autobid, and further evidence of BSC teams claims that the east is filled with a bunch of patsies and the CAA/SoCon. xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

I agree that the MEAC hasn't done well in the playoffs recently. That doesn't mean Delaware State can't continue to improve its program, has to give up, and shouldn't play Delaware.

As far as auto bids go, I think that minimum rules for what it takes to be FCS should be established then all FCS conferences with some minimum number of teams should get an automatic bid.

JohnStOnge
November 24th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Agreed... If I'm Delaware, no way. There is absolutely nothing to gain in it for them.

The PC hacks at the nCAA and ESPN got what they wanted yesterday, and that is their societal statement; even if it meant television sets around the country (if there were any outside of the Delaware Valley that were actually tuned in) turning the channel at or even before halftime.

I assume Delaware is a State university. If that is the case, what should be done is what's best for the State. The University is funded by and serves the State of Delaware.

So to me, that's the question: Would a regular UD/DSU series be good for the State of Delaware overall?

I never have liked the attitude by State universities that what's best for them matters more than what's best for the State they serve. I see it a lot in Louisiana and I'm opposed to that mentality.

ERASU2113
November 24th, 2007, 10:47 AM

According to David C oulson, DSU is a lot better than how they played yesterday.

BlueHen86
November 24th, 2007, 10:50 AM
I assume Delaware is a State university. If that is the case, what should be done is what's best for the State. The University is funded by and serves the State of Delaware.

So to me, that's the question: Would a regular UD/DSU series be good for the State of Delaware overall?

I never have liked the attitude by State universities that what's best for them matters more than what's best for the State they serve. I see it a lot in Louisiana and I'm opposed to that mentality.

UD is private, but does receive some state funding.

JohnStOnge
November 24th, 2007, 11:09 AM

Then my assumption was wrong and it changes things some.

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
November 24th, 2007, 11:24 AM
I think they should play

UM beat MSU every year from '86 - '01 and we kept playing because it's great for the state to have such a long standing tradition

Ivytalk
November 24th, 2007, 11:37 AM
I think the schools should play again, but not necessarily every year. Let the schools decide, free of the compulsion of the "PC hacks" (nice one, blueballs!) and the News Urinal. Absent another playoff pairing, it can't happen again until 2012 at the earliest. So sayeth Edgar Johnson.xtwocentsx

furpal87
November 24th, 2007, 11:48 AM
I think yesterday should be a first step. Hopefully some idiots in the state legislature won't mandate it, like they did in NC with NCST and UNC against ECU. Next schedule opening seriously think about it, Delaware. Del State, know you can't overdemand certain things if you want the series to happen.

I look forward to the Delaware-Furman series the next few years. Can't wait to go to Newark.

patssle
November 24th, 2007, 11:54 AM

Should you and your rival stop playing if one game you blow them out or they blow you out?

igo4uni
November 24th, 2007, 12:06 PM
play again.

Intrepid
November 24th, 2007, 02:41 PM

Exactly...This is why Delaware should continue to play West Chester because this game benefit them greatly. I could care less if the Hens and Hornets ever play again.

89Hen
November 24th, 2007, 02:46 PM
No need to play this game anytime in the near future. This was the best team DSU has ever had and a UD that limped into the playoffs. If the game yesterday wasn't competitive, I'm not sure it ever would be. Also, DSU brings too many fans for my liking. xsmiley_wix xnodx

DFW HOYA
November 24th, 2007, 03:03 PM

Outside of Delaware and Pennslvania, a school that receives state funding is often considered a "state" school, especially when one offers in-state and out of state rates, and the governor and chairman of the state board of education are ex-officio members of the trustees.

UDChE89
November 24th, 2007, 03:11 PM
For those of you who think this was a rivalry game, keep on drinkin' the Kool-Aid. There's not a rivalry between the two schools except in the state legislature when asking for money. West Chester is actually closer than DSU to UD and most years (that 84-0 game notwithstanding) more competitive than DSU has been.

ButlerGSU
November 24th, 2007, 03:16 PM
I know they won the auto bid but I'm not sure DSU was a playoff team. There were several teams around the country at home that would have given UD a much better game.

Herdman
November 24th, 2007, 03:18 PM
No need to play this game anytime in the near future. This was the best team DSU has ever had and a UD that limped into the playoffs. If the game yesterday wasn't competitive, I'm not sure it ever would be. Also, DSU brings too many fans for my liking. xsmiley_wix xnodxThat says it all right there of what kind of people we're dealing here folks...racist, small minded bigots. UD just joined my list of teams that a good season is 0-11.

BlueHen86
November 24th, 2007, 04:50 PM
That says it all right there of what kind of people we're dealing here folks...racist, small minded bigots. UD just joined my list of teams that a good season is 0-11.

You actually have a list for that?xconfusedx

Seawolf97
November 24th, 2007, 08:35 PM

I voted yes. One consideration is first time play off jitters on the road. But yes play UD. We have been playing Hofstra the last 10 years and only lately are we inching closer. I have seen 61 and 55 point blowouts against Stonybrook. The last 2 years it is less than 10. So keep scheduling them and other CAA teams - JMU, Richmond, Towson all nearby. It will improve your program .