PDA

View Full Version : My take...Griz - Ducks

putter
September 11th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Speed kills that is one thing for sure. Ducks take opening kickoff 83 yards for a TD but struggle in the red zone having to kick 6 field goals. Griz D is for real and should be dominant all season. QB is still big question mark and Griz fans divided as to who should get the start against South Dakota State, at least I am!

Last year the O had to carry the team until the Defense caught up, this year, the D will carry the team until the O catches up. Griz have talent though.

Lumberjacks76
September 11th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Arizona did the same thing to NAU in a 31-12 win. They just kept running to the sidelines and getting around the corner. Oregon is a fast and physical team, too. Montana lost 47-10, but Oregon will be really good this year. So will Arizona.

All in all, not too embarrassing and a good showing by two good Big Sky Conference Teams (Weber got blasted by Fresno State). Idaho State also acquitted themselves well in a 41-29 loss to a decent Kentucky team.

Paul

putter
September 11th, 2005, 02:24 PM
A 19 point loss is nothing to hang your head about. Would you want to let us borrow Murietta for a few games? ;)

SeattleGriz
September 11th, 2005, 02:30 PM
"The Griz D is for real"

Sounds odd considering the score, but I agree. Oregon just got way too many attempts at our D. Did we have one, or two 1st and goals for Oregon that we stopped?

DaGriz
September 11th, 2005, 06:52 PM
They just kept running to the sidelines and getting around the corner.

Actually it was their D that was so fast. They didn't have 100 yards rushing. Their linebackers and D line was unreal though. They were waiting at the hole for our RB's.

I agree, considering the score, I thought our D looked good. We held them to two offensive TD's until mid 4th qtr. Our O looked like crap, but that's what a good team can do to you. They are way more talented and were going to win the game any way you look at it though.

Lumberjacks76
September 11th, 2005, 07:31 PM
How do you see the Big Sky shaping up now that the Division I-A games are pretty much through?

Paul

PhantomCAT
September 11th, 2005, 08:09 PM
1st place tie: EWU and MSU
2nd place tie: PSU and UM
3rd place: ISU
4th place:NAU
5th place: CSUS
6th place: WSU

SeattleGriz
September 11th, 2005, 09:09 PM
I thought this said a lot:

http://www.registerguard.com/news/2005/09/11/d1.sp.ducks.0911.p1.php?section=sports

It wasn't because the Ducks kept turning touchdown opportunities into three-point field goals, if that. After that initial kickoff return for a score by Stewart, there were seven possessions in the first half in which Oregon got inside the Montana 30-yard line and came away with five field goals, one touchdown and one failed attempt on fourth down at the 4 when Terrence Whitehead was held for no gain.

That's 20 points out of what could have been 49.

"We needed to score more points," Clemens said. "We just feel like we could have done more."

Breaking it down, the Ducks ran 26 plays inside the Montana 30 in the first half, for a gain of 60 yards, or a Montana-like 2.3 yards per snap. There were 12 running plays that netted 36 yards, and Clemens completed 4-of-14 passes for 24 yards, with 17 of those coming on the offense's lone touchdown of the first