Ronbo
November 23rd, 2007, 01:43 PM
deserve an auto bid????xrolleyesx

Big Dawg
November 23rd, 2007, 01:46 PM
Yes...

putter
November 23rd, 2007, 01:47 PM
DSU is sure not representing well but I still like the conference representation then 9 teams from the CAA. xsmiley_wix

JMUSaxMRD
November 23rd, 2007, 01:47 PM
Well, a bottom end CAA playoff team beats them, however the CAA is strong so maybe a different AQ weaker conference team should play them in the first round ;) Honestly, I have no clue, Delaware State always comes back late, but I just think they are off their game today.

furpal87
November 23rd, 2007, 01:58 PM
I think today's game got a little too much publicity with the ESPN story two weeks ago, some of the statements made, the ESPN broadcast, all created a perfect storm for Delaware just to go out and blow their doors off. I think the original pick I made was 44-14, and I said that assuming Delaware would call it off. Maybe they will.xrolleyesx

igo4uni
November 23rd, 2007, 02:00 PM
Yes, let them keep the autobid.

WrenFGun
November 23rd, 2007, 02:03 PM
Hampton has done nothing but represent the MEAC well over the years. DSU is not in their class right now.

downbythebeach
November 23rd, 2007, 02:03 PM
Yes sir.

Dane96
November 23rd, 2007, 02:04 PM
Real question is: Does a partial scholarship NEC deserve and autobid?

dgreco
November 23rd, 2007, 02:05 PM
give it to teh NEC!

Mr. Tiger
Since the mid-90s the OVC has a worse playoff record than the MEAC, but Delaware State is getting a good old fashion stomping today. Delaware just came to play today and DSU looked scared and overmatched in the first half.

McNeese72

Yep, definitely. But send them to play a Southland team in the first round instead of sending Big Sky teams our way. :)

Doc

RadMann
November 23rd, 2007, 02:08 PM
Yes, although I think it is up to the MEAC programs to up their level of play a bit by playing more out-of-conference games. DSU looks less than stellar so far today, but they have a very good coach who is taking the program in the right direction.

FargoBison
November 23rd, 2007, 02:08 PM
They deserved the bid but not the talk of getting a second team in the playoffs. Glad the committee didn't make that mistake.

R.A.
November 23rd, 2007, 02:10 PM
Yes!!

DFW HOYA
November 23rd, 2007, 02:18 PM
MEAC? Yes.
NEC? Yes.
Big South? Yes.

BlueHen86
November 23rd, 2007, 02:20 PM
Yes. Not a good day for DSU, so far, but Hampton has been competative in recent playoff games.

The MEAC isn't as good as the CAA or Socon (and that's who they always draw in the playoffs) but the MEAC is not a bad conference.

WrenFGun
November 23rd, 2007, 02:24 PM
Hopefully the CAA will split, and some of those NEC teams will split that way.

Put UNH, UMass, URI, Richmond, Maine and Villanova and couple them with Stony Brook, Albany and maybe CCSU, and then, assuming all teams are full scholly, you'd have a complete conference. Everyone could play everyone. When a couple more CAA schools add teams (namely ODU, but possibly Georgia State and others), this split makes a lot of sense.

Uncle Buck
November 23rd, 2007, 02:25 PM
They should have the auto-bid. It's just unfortunate that DSU is probably playing their worst game of the season against a team that you can't make mistakes against.

Syntax Error
November 23rd, 2007, 02:27 PM
deserve an auto bid????xrolleyesxDoes the Big Sky deserve an AQ? Why not just give Montana one? They're the only team on the BSC to have one more national title than the MEAC teams.

citdog
November 23rd, 2007, 02:33 PM
ladies and gentleman there are 3 SoCon teams sitting at home right now that would have skull ****ed dsuxmadx xmadx xmadx

siugrad99
November 23rd, 2007, 02:46 PM
Yeah Hampton has represented the MEAC very well in the playoffs haven't they.

R.A.
November 23rd, 2007, 02:55 PM
ladies and gentleman there are 3 SoCon teams sitting at home right now that would have skull ****ed dsuxmadx xmadx xmadx

So?

Houndawg
November 23rd, 2007, 03:00 PM
Hampton has done nothing but represent the MEAC well over the years. DSU is not in their class right now.

Last week they were all smack while getting beat by 3 TDs.

Mr. Tiger
November 23rd, 2007, 03:10 PM

First round blowouts happen almost every year....So BIG DEAL.

Western Ill. 52, Montana 9 (Macomb, Ill. 3,614)

Illinois St. 56, Colgate 13 (Normal, Ill. 7,133)
Ga. Southern 72, Northern Ariz. 29 (Statesboro, Ga. 7,140)

Montana 45, Eastern Ill. 13 (Missoula, Mont. 16,212)
Delaware 49, Portland St. 14 (Newark, Del. 12,945)

Montana 45, Northwestern St. .14 (Missoula, Mont. 15,758)
Ga. Southern 34, Bethune-Cookman 0 (Statesboro, Ga. 7,395)
Western Ill. 48, Eastern Ill. 9 (Macomb, Ill. 2,429)

Northern Ariz. 35, McNeese St. 3 (Lake Charles, La. 14,300)
Delaware 48, Southern Ill. 7 (Newark, Del. 14,572)

Montana 56, Northwestern St. 7 (Missoula, Mont. 15,507)
Furman 49, Jacksonville St. 7 (Greenville, S.C. 4,892)

New Hampshire 55, Colgate 21 (Durham, N.H. 7,806)

Montana 31, McNeese State 6 (Missoula, MT 20,077)

th0m
November 23rd, 2007, 03:48 PM
They deserved the bid but not the talk of getting a second team in the playoffs. Glad the committee didn't make that mistake.

I agree.

How's this for an idea: the MEAC and the NEC champs do a play-in game for an auto-bid? :D

Dane96
November 23rd, 2007, 03:49 PM
Probably what WILL happen if the playoffs are expanded to 18.

DC 'gater
November 23rd, 2007, 03:51 PM

Those Colgate games were closer than they appear on the scoreboard. 6 or 7 turnovers and we were right back in it!!xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

wapiti
November 23rd, 2007, 03:58 PM
Does the Big Sky deserve an AQ? Why not just give Montana one? They're the only team on the BSC to have one more national title than the MEAC teams.

The MSU Bobcats have 3 National Titles.

GRZZ
November 24th, 2007, 12:37 AM
Does the Big Sky deserve an AQ? Why not just give Montana one? They're the only team on the BSC to have one more national title than the MEAC teams.

Florida A&M has a national title, but I believe it came right before they joined the MEAC. (Title in '78, joined in '80 as far as I can tell)

I know you are just arguing his point because you think it is smack, but that logic doesn't make any sense. If you are going to say that the MEAC teams collectively have one title and use it as your argument (granted I am sure it is in jest) you need to acknowledge that more than one Big Sky team other than Montana has a national title. To counter, two teams (Montana St. '84, Idaho St. '81) other than Montana have as many national titles as all of the MEAC teams. Three if you count Boise St. as they were members of the Big Sky when they won their title in 1980.

Total National Titles won by members of each conference in the year that they won their titles:

MEAC: 0
Big Sky: 5

McNeese_beat
November 24th, 2007, 12:46 AM

I think the MEAC has had its moments over the years. Plus they offer 63 football scholarships and do everything you are asked to do to be a full-fledged FCS league.

So they deserve a bid. And if they lose their bid may the Big Sky lose its Auto Bid, and NCAA tourney money, from the Big Dance in March...

PantherRob82
November 24th, 2007, 12:47 AM
I told you guys I wanted the MEAC champ in the Dome.

Tim James
November 24th, 2007, 12:50 AM
Just wondering if the MEAC has ever considered doing what the SWAC did and have a championship game instead of the playoffs. I know they have 9 teams but they could always add Savannah State.:)

AZGrizFan
November 24th, 2007, 12:53 AM
Yes, let them keep the autobid.

.....just send them to Missoula next time. xnodx xnodx xnodx

Tim James
November 24th, 2007, 12:56 AM
If we cant have both the MEAC and SWAC in the playoffs then I'd rather have neither of them. It seems strange to have one and not the other.

McNeese_beat
November 24th, 2007, 01:04 AM
If we cant have both the MEAC and SWAC in the playoffs then I'd rather have neither of them. It seems strange to have one and not the other.

If we can't have the Ivy in the playoffs, we shouldn't have the Colonial either. It's strange to have one without the other.

I don't understand your point. Why should the MEAC be left out because the SWAC opts not to participate...well, Southern and Grambling sort of make it difficult. I'm sure Alabama A&M would have been happy to participate if they hadn't lost to PV.

Big Dawg
November 24th, 2007, 01:18 AM

Why does it seem strange to have one without the other???xconfusedx

Syntax Error
November 24th, 2007, 01:36 AM
Florida A&M has a national title, but I believe it came right before they joined the MEAC. (Title in '78, joined in '80 as far as I can tell)
I know you are just arguing his point because you think it is smack, but that logic doesn't make any sense. If you are going to say that the MEAC teams collectively have one title and use it as your argument (granted I am sure it is in jest) you need to acknowledge that more than one Big Sky team other than Montana has a national title. To counter, two teams (Montana St. '84, Idaho St. '81) other than Montana have as many national titles as all of the MEAC teams. Three if you count Boise St. as they were members of the Big Sky when they won their title in 1980.
Total National Titles won by members of each conference in the year that they won their titles:
MEAC: 0
Big Sky: 5I said "Does the Big Sky deserve an AQ? Why not just give Montana one? They're the only team on the BSC to have one more national title than the MEAC teams." Of the BSC teams, only one has more national titles than a MEAC team. Yes, UM&ISU&MSU have titles but only UM has one more than a MEAC team. I didn't say (in fact I pointed out today on this board) the team was in the MEAC when they won it. The fact remains.
Yes, I get real tired of this smack on the discussion board and it makes AGS look bad for not preventing it (and members for posting it).

Total number of titles won by current conference teams:
MEAC -- FAMU 1
BSC -- UM 2
ISU 1
MSU 1

==============

wapiti wrote: "The MSU Bobcats have 3 National Titles."
---
Not in D-I football.

AppMan
November 24th, 2007, 05:12 AM
Do away with all auto bids and pick the best 16 teams.

813Jag
November 24th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Delaware State got pounded yesterday, there's no question about that, but why should the whole league get demoted because of that. Different sport, but I have to ask, how many schools that are FCS have won NCAA Div I basketball titles? How many have won 1st round games? Should we all lose our autobids? Or should we do like the CAA and Missouri Valley, improve our facilities, coaching, and scheduling to become more competitive?
Delaware State has been playing with fire all year, it was only a matter of time before it caught up with them.

JTCowboy
November 24th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Delaware State got pounded yesterday, there's no question about that, but why should the whole league get demoted because of that. Different sport, but I have to ask, how many schools that are FCS have won NCAA Div I basketball titles? How many have won 1st round games? Should we all lose our autobids? Or should we do like the CAA and Missouri Valley, improve our facilities, coaching, and scheduling to become more competitive?
Delaware State has been playing with fire all year, it was only a matter of time before it caught up with them.

How is it that you think comparing a field of 64 to field of 16 makes sense?
That fire did get put out!

gophoenix
November 24th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Do away with all auto bids and pick the best 16 teams.

No frickin' way. I stand by my previous comment. Why should you be able to win a national championship if you can't win your conference.

And if we did that here, it would be a matter of time before they did it in basketball. Again, then you punish a good team for having a weak schedule. And you would never have seen George Mason go to the final four or WInthrop and UNCW to the sweet 16.

ChickenMan
November 24th, 2007, 09:48 AM

You missed another big 'blowout'.. one by team from a league that isn't 'supposed' to be able to compete..

Lehigh 37 WIU 7

Intrepid
November 24th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Saying that the MEAC doesn't deserve an autobid is like saying the Miami dolphins don't deserve to be playing in the NFL...give me a break. You guys are probably from DC because you're clueless.

Dane96
November 24th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Intrepid-- Got a question for you....does the NEC deserve an autobid?

Otherwise, I agree, no autos should be taken away.

AZGrizFan
November 24th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Intrepid-- Got a question for you....does the NEC deserve an autobid?

Otherwise, I agree, no autos should be taken away.

Exactly. If the MEAC and PL get autobids, SOMEBODY explain to me why the NEC does NOT? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Albany played Montana MUCH tougher than DSU played UD.

Wait. Never mind. I answered my own question. It was Montana, after all.

siugrad99
November 24th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Delaware by far got the easiest 1st round game. No other game will be as big of a blowout.

AZGrizFan
November 24th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Delaware by far got the easiest 1st round game. No other game will be as big of a blowout.

I"m gonna go out on a limb and say that the SIU/EIU and UMass/Fordham games will NOT be competitive. xsmhx xcoolx

Jaxhen
November 24th, 2007, 10:30 AM
We need to be careful not to make too much of this one game when evaluating the MEAC conference. Hampton gave a good UNH team all they could handle in the playoffs last year. Also, a 4th place MEAC team, Hampton, gave Southern Illinois a decent game last week and Morgan State almost beat Towson State this year. This isn't the first time and won't be the last time that someone in the playoffs has been overmatched.

McNeese_beat
November 24th, 2007, 10:36 AM
We need to be careful not to make too much of this one game when evaluating the MEAC conference. Hampton gave a good UNH team all they could handle in the playoffs last year. Also, a 4th place MEAC team, Hampton, gave Southern Illinois a decent game last week and Morgan State almost beat Towson State this year. This isn't the first time and won't be the last time that someone in the playoffs has been overmatched.

I agree. And what nobody will address that's screaming for the MEAC's autobid to go away is this: Will you give up your (SLC, Big Sky, OVC, Southern, etc.) conference autobid in basketball using the same logic?

I didn't think so.

McNeese_beat
November 24th, 2007, 10:57 AM
How is it that you think comparing a field of 64 to field of 16 makes sense?
That fire did get put out!

Proportionally, there's not much difference. Division I basketball has 341 teams, and FCS football has 122. But where everybody but transition teams in D-I basketball are full participants, there are two leagues of teams that remove themselves from FCS consideration (that's 20 teams) plus a couple of leagues (about 12 teams) that would be D-III if the NCAA allowed them to be D-III in football and D-I in everything else.

that cuts you down to 90 teams, close to a quarter of the teams that play D-I basketball. So there isn't much difference to the proportion of teams in the FCS playoffs than there are in the NCAA basketball playoffs.

McNeese_beat
November 24th, 2007, 11:04 AM

I agree with that last sentence. I did a statistical comparison of all the teams in the playoffs and I saw that DSU was the only team that was allowing more yards to its opponents than it was gaining. The only one.

Sounds like a team that overachieved and a team that if it did not play well, would be overwhelmed by better talent. No way a team that gives up more yards than it gains should be 10-1...they just kept finding ways to win, apparently.

https://admin.xosn.com/fls/12900/statistics/football2007/teamcume.htm

Folks can look it up on that link.

They were not the same as the Hamptons and the FAMU teams the MEAC has sent to the playoffs in the past. They weren't a team that was dominating the conference by a longshot. I'm sure there were more talented MEAC teams this year, but give DSU credit: they found a way to get the title.