PDA

View Full Version : The A-10

Cocky
September 11th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Is the A-10 down or the others catching up?

umassfan
September 11th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Is the A-10 down or the others catching up?

Or was it just a crazy week... If you want to say the A10 is down then the Socon is down as well because their top 4 teams all lost.

ChickenMan
September 11th, 2005, 11:26 AM
This could be another year when there are a quite a few good... but no great teams in the A10. The ususal suspects should all have a shot playoffs and it looks like Hofstra... URI and Towson may be improved enough to knock some of those higher rated A10 teams off. I expect a wild year... not only in the A10... but throughout all of 1AA.

Cocky
September 11th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Or was it just a crazy week... If you want to say the A10 is down then the Socon is down as well because their top 4 teams all lost.

I've seen some SOCON teams play so I have a judgement there. I've haven't seen any A-10 teams other than part of UMASS this week and part of Northeastern on TV. It harder for me to judge by watching on TV vs. live. This isn't smack I just wanted some opinions.

headdressguy
September 11th, 2005, 11:46 AM
The funny thing, Cocky, is the team that many were thinking would be down was Delaware, and they had by far the best win for the conference yesterday. W&M has played about to expectations (play Marshall fairly close, blowout VMI). Clearly, the loss yesterday is a disappointment for JMU. Rhody and Towson played well. Seems like a typical A-10 season: Difficult for anybody except Delaware to stay at the top, impossible to predict who will step up (see UMass, everybody's preseason team to make "the leap")

umassfan
September 11th, 2005, 11:49 AM
The funny thing, Cocky, is the team that many were thinking would be down was Delaware, and they had by far the best win for the conference yesterday. W&M has played about to expectations (play Marshall fairly close, blowout VMI). Clearly, the loss yesterday is a disappointment for JMU. Rhody and Towson played well. Seems like a typical A-10 season: Difficult for anybody except Delaware to stay at the top, impossible to predict who will step up (see UMass, everybody's preseason team to make "the leap")
Furman fans know exactly what I am talking about when I say turnovers can allow any good team to lose to anyone. I would wait till the end of October into Nov before you pass judgement on any A10 team.

headdressguy
September 11th, 2005, 11:53 AM
UMass could still be a very good, top-of-the-conference type team, and I know there's plenty of season left. I think, though, that even you would agree they didn't play like it this week.

umassfan
September 11th, 2005, 12:05 PM
UMass could still be a very good, top-of-the-conference type team, and I know there's plenty of season left. I think, though, that even you would agree they didn't play like it this week.

I would have been really pissed about the game if we didnt show that 4th qt comeback like we did... we missed a fg from the 5 yard line and had 8 ints but were still in possition to win the game on the final drive. How many teams can say that? I would have loved not to be in that possition with the 8 turnovers in the first place but what can you do... we just gotta move on and start getting some Ws with our game at home vs Albany... if there is a bright side to this, we have our next 4 games at home.

ChickenMan
September 11th, 2005, 12:11 PM
I would have been really pissed about the game if we didnt show that 4th qt comeback like we did... we missed a fg from the 5 yard line and had 8 ints but were still in possition to win the game on the final drive. How many teams can say that?

Towson can... they beat Morgan St last week despite turning it over eight times.

charliej
September 11th, 2005, 12:25 PM
All I know is if yesterday is any indication of how the season will pan out,we're in for one wild ride!

JohnStOnge
September 11th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Right now it's looking like the A-10 isn't as tough as it was last year. It's early though.

blukeys
September 11th, 2005, 12:51 PM
I think the league will bounce back. Most of yesterday's results were not that surprising. NU is very young and was not expected to compete for the league's title. Richmond lost to a top tier Patriot League team and is still having growing pains in adjusting to Clawson's offense and now has scored a grand total of 6 points for the year.

JMU's loss was a shocker. I wonder if the Dukes were too busy rereading last year's press clippings. (no knock on Coastal who played a great game). At any rate I believe Matthews will wake these guys up.

I was able to watch the Umass - Colgate game. Colgate played with an awesome amount of heart and scored 2 TD's on turnovers. Umass is a better team than they showed but they made a ton of mistakes (penalties, turnovers).

It was a strange game and I think UMASS should not play any more games in Hamilton as it appears the ghosts at Andy Kerr have it in for them. :D :D :D

Delaware - Lehigh went as advertised. 2 top 15 teams going down to the wire.

OL FU
September 11th, 2005, 12:53 PM
This is week two of a long season.

Thankfully :o :(

TigerFan17
September 11th, 2005, 01:02 PM
A lot of A-10 teams have many more questions than usual coming into this year. Theres a lot of new players at key positions coming in. I think the real A-10 won't shine through until November, when teams have all their kinks worked out. Granted, other teams will likely have improved too, but I think the A-10 will show its true colors later on.

The real test for my Tigers come this Saturday at home vs. UNH. We have a lot of answers to their threats in the passing game (one of the best secondaries in the nation). Our offensive production has sky-rocketed in comparison to last year. In 2003, our last non-scholarship year, we beat LH 53-19. This year we beat them 70-0, and are approaching full-scholarship level (a bit under 70% right now). I think the difference has shown in that we scored so much and allowed them 21 yards of offense in the first half, etc. I think they only amassed 3 first downs the whole game. It was sheer domination. I believe we're headed in the right direction.

colgate13
September 11th, 2005, 06:04 PM
The A-10 is still very tough. What yesterday showed is that there is plenty of good football teams in other conferences. No slight to the A-10; they'll still be there in the end.

Sam Adams
September 11th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Its funny - we see these same discussions every year. Why? because it is 1AA College Football - the greatest game I know and on ANy Given Saturday - Any team can rise up and beat any other team. This is what makes 1AA ball so much fun from a fan's perspective and its also why 1AA coaches have no hair after a few years as HC.

The A10 has a lot of good football teams. But there are No teams in the A10 that can just walk onto the field and get a W. In November and December we'll know how good or bad the A10 is. You can't tell much from 1 week early in the season (hence why early season and pre season polls are so silly).

MR. CHICKEN
September 11th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Its funny - we see these same discussions every year. Why? because it is 1AA College Football - the greatest game I know and on ANy Given Saturday - Any team can rise up and beat any other team. This is what makes 1AA ball so much fun from a fan's perspective and its also why 1AA coaches have no hair after a few years as HC.

The A10 has a lot of good football teams. But there are No teams in the A10 that can just walk onto the field and get a W. In November and December we'll know how good or bad the A10 is. You can't tell much from 1 week early in the season (hence why early season and pre season polls are so silly).

PRE-SEASON POLLS ARE SILLY?..............SON....GOTTA START SOMEWHERE!...........:nod:...........BRAWK!

89Hen
September 11th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Right now it's looking like the A-10 isn't as tough as it was last year. It's early though.
Yup and yup.