PDA

View Full Version : Sideline Clearing Study Session Stops Harvard-Yale Game…

Cleets
November 22nd, 2007, 03:15 PM
The Harvard-Yale football rivalry was marred Saturday when the game was interrupted by a benches-clearing study session.
Delay of game penalties, ejections, and Rhodes Scholarships were assessed to members of each team.

The knowledge-induced fracas began when Harvard tight end Matt Walker questioned the validity of the findings in a recently published paper on string theory by Yale linebacker Ricardo Lasio. “Lasio completely disregarded the inclusion of fermions in his assumptions on the particle spectrum,” said Walker. “I couldn’t let him get away with that. It’s just sloppy research.”

Order was restored after 20 minutes of intelligent debate when Harvard physics professor Dr. Ivy (Now a Lawyer in NY) was summoned to mediate the discussion. Dr. Ivy explained that there must be a corresponding boson for every fermion in order to engender super symmetry, and that Lasio’s findings were indeed not valid, but only in a non-boson controlled environment, therefore further debate was required after the game.
Unimportantly Harvard went on to win the game 37 - 6.

~

Col Hogan
November 22nd, 2007, 07:10 PM
The nucleus of an atom is a fermion or boson depending on whether the total number of its protons and neutrons is odd or even, respectively. But in a non-bonson controlled environement, when, for example, ammonia gas is passed over a platinum gauze, the rate of decomposition into nitrogen and hydrogen gas is independent of the partial pressure of ammonia but at VERY LOW pressures, the rate is directly proportional to the partial pressure of ammonia. Thus, for reasons we do not fully understand, a consequence of the odd half-integer spin is that fermions obey the Pauli Exclusion Principle and therefore cannot co-exist in the same state at same location at the same time.

What I'm trying to say is, the Yale defense really blew it...

Cleets
November 22nd, 2007, 08:00 PM
I argue that we could in the same vein derive the sharper anti-haeccetistic conclusion that bosons are bundles of tropes and fermions are bundles of universals. Moreover, since standard statistics is still appropriate at the macrolevel, we could also venture to say that no anti-haecceitistic conclusion is warranted for ordinary objects, which could then tentatively be identified with substrates. In contrast to this, however, there has been so far no acknowledgement of the possibility of inclusivism, according to which ontological accounts of particulars as widely different as those can possibly coexist in one world picture.

The success of the different statistics in physics at least calls for a revision in this respect.

In short: The Yale passing game was exposed...

~

Col Hogan
November 22nd, 2007, 08:30 PM
Two arguments have recently been advanced that Maxwell-Boltzmann particles are indistinguishable just like Bose–Einstein and Fermi–Dirac particles. Bringing modalmetaphysics to bear on these arguments shows that ontological indistinguishability for classical (MB) particles does not follow. The first argument, resting on symmetryin the occupation representation for all three cases, fails since peculiar correlationsexist in the quantum (BE and FD) context as harbingers of ontic indistinguishability,while the indistinguishability of classical particles remains purely epistemic. The second argument, deriving from the classical limits of quantum statistical partition functions,embodies a conceptual confusion. After clarifying the doctrine of haecceitism, a third argument is considered that attempts to deflate metaphysical concerns altogether by showing that the phase-space and distribution-space representations of MB-statisticshave contrary haecceitistic import. Careful analysis shows this argument to fail as well,leaving de re modality unproblematically grounding particle identity in the classicalcontext while genuine puzzlement about the underlying ontology remains for quantumstatistics.

In conclusion, I think that Yale was truely over-rated by most prognosticators, as proven by the stalwart Crimson secondary...

Cleets
November 22nd, 2007, 08:45 PM
Two arguments have recently been advanced that Maxwell-Boltzmann particles are indistinguishable just like Bose–Einstein and Fermi–Dirac particles. Bringing modalmetaphysics to bear on these arguments shows that ontological indistinguishability for classical (MB) particles does not follow. The first argument, resting on symmetryin the occupation representation for all three cases, fails since peculiar correlationsexist in the quantum (BE and FD) context as harbingers of ontic indistinguishability,while the indistinguishability of classical particles remains purely epistemic. The second argument, deriving from the classical limits of quantum statistical partition functions,embodies a conceptual confusion. After clarifying the doctrine of haecceitism, a third argument is considered that attempts to deflate metaphysical concerns altogether by showing that the phase-space and distribution-space representations of MB-statisticshave contrary haecceitistic import. Careful analysis shows this argument to fail as well,leaving de re modality unproblematically grounding particle identity in the classicalcontext while genuine puzzlement about the underlying ontology remains for quantumstatistics.

In conclusion, I think that Yale was truely over-rated by most prognosticators, as proven by the stalwart Crimson secondary...

Agreed...
However the doctrine of haecceitism has alway seemed to deflate my metaphysical concerns...
if you know what I mean...

~

GreatAppSt
November 22nd, 2007, 08:46 PM
I argue that we could in the same vein derive the sharper anti-haeccetistic conclusion that bosons are bundles of tropes and fermions are bundles of universals. Moreover, since standard statistics is still appropriate at the macrolevel, we could also venture to say that no anti-haecceitistic conclusion is warranted for ordinary objects, which could then tentatively be identified with substrates. In contrast to this, however, there has been so far no acknowledgement of the possibility of inclusivism, according to which ontological accounts of particulars as widely different as those can possibly coexist in one world picture.

The success of the different statistics in physics at least calls for a revision in this respect.

~

Yeah, what he said.xnodx

Tod
November 22nd, 2007, 08:54 PM
xlolx xconfusedx xlolx xconfusedx xlolx xconfusedx xlolx

How do you give rep points to an entire thread? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Col Hogan
November 22nd, 2007, 09:02 PM
Agreed...
However the doctrine of haecceitism has alway seemed to deflate my metaphysical concerns...
if you know what I mean...

~

Outstanding observation...I was recently reading John O'Leary-Hawthorne's Haecceitism and Anti-Haecceitism in Leibniz's Philosophy ...and could not stop chuckling....

If you know what I mean.....

fencer24
November 22nd, 2007, 11:08 PM
As the Guinness commercial guys are so fond of saying: "Brilliant!"

And I agree that Yale was overrated.

Seawolf97
November 23rd, 2007, 11:33 AM
And this will show up in what Poll? Great stuff!xlolx xlolx

citdog
November 23rd, 2007, 11:36 AM
all that book learning is unbecoming of a gentlemanxrolleyesx :D

OL FU
November 24th, 2007, 10:36 AM
The nucleus of an atom is a fermion or boson depending on whether the total number of its protons and neutrons is odd or even, respectively. But in a non-bonson controlled environement, when, for example, ammonia gas is passed over a platinum gauze, the rate of decomposition into nitrogen and hydrogen gas is independent of the partial pressure of ammonia but at VERY LOW pressures, the rate is directly proportional to the partial pressure of ammonia. Thus, for reasons we do not fully understand, a consequence of the odd half-integer spin is that fermions obey the Pauli Exclusion Principle and therefore cannot co-exist in the same state at same location at the same time.

What I'm trying to say is, the Yale defense really blew it...

Interestingxeyebrowx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

OL FU
November 24th, 2007, 10:37 AM

~

I didn't know thatxeyebrowx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Purple For Life
November 24th, 2007, 10:40 AM
xlolx xconfusedx xlolx xconfusedx xlolx xconfusedx xlolx

How do you give rep points to an entire thread? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Go through and give 'em post by post. xthumbsupx