PDA

View Full Version : Missed opportunities killed the Kats

blackfordpu
September 11th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Good article about the game and how the Bearkats beat themselves.

Sept. 11, 2005
From The Huntsville Item
By Jason Barfield

HOUSTON - Anytime a Division I-AA team heads on the road to take on a I-A squad, everything usually has to go the smaller schools way to have a chance to win.

For Sam Houston State, the opportunities were there, but they just couldn't capitalize in a 31-10 loss to the University of Houston on Saturday night at Robertson Stadium.

"Offensively we dropped so many balls and we just didn't make many plays," said Sam Houston State head coach Todd Whitten. "We had some good effort, but when we had our chances, we just left some points out on the field. I bet we dropped six to 10 balls."

From the start of the game, the Kats had mistakes cost them points and big plays. After allowing Houston to score a touchdown on the opening possession of the game, SHSU had a chance to answer. Stevie Smith broke a 52-yard run to get to the Houston 10-yard line. After two incomplete passes and a short gain, the Kats lined up for a 25-yard field goal that was blocked. It was the first of two missed kicks for the Bearkats.

full story: http://www.gobearkats.com/football/houston.html

JohnStOnge
September 11th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Well, not any time a I-AA takes on a I-A on the road. Depends on who the I-AA is and who the I-A is.

I think it's true of Sam Houston at Houston though.