PDA

View Full Version : UNH-GSU? - the real problem

WVAPPmountaineer
November 22nd, 2007, 11:27 AM
I am somewhat impartial in this argument so let me make a couple of points where I feel we have a real concern in this process - OUT OF CONFERENCE SCHEDULING and the committee decision to "change" the stated guidelines - First, the guidelines say ---The following principles shall apply when selecting at-large teams:
1. The committee shall select the best teams available on a national at-large basis to complete the bracket;
2. There is no limit to the number of teams the committee may select from one conference;
3. The won-lost record of a team will be scrutinized to determine a team’s strength of schedule; however, less than seven Division I wins MAY place a team in jeopardy of not being selected; -

From what I understand the committee changed "MAY" to "Absolutely no consideration given" --- If the rules stipulate "MAY" the cases MUST be looked at on an individual basis in a year like this. I do think UNH is a better team than Norfolk ST or Albany of any of the San Diego's of the country - I also think GSU, Elon and Citadel are better as well - I think Villanova is better - So the choice should have come down to Elon, GSU, UNH, Citadel or Villanova, etc. and the committee should have reviewed their entire seasons and not eliminated teams for having less than 7 wins - Elon lost 2 games to APP, the defending NC and FBS So. Fla ranked as high as #2 and beat Wofford - Citadel lost to APP and Wisconsin who ranked as high as #5 - GSU beat APP and Wofford - If that had been done I absolutely don't think UNH would have deserved the last pick ---
BUT - the problem stems from NON-CONF scheduling - Most of the CAA can schedule games "that count" against teams they can BEAT based on the close proximity of the schools - Other conferences are looking at either having extremely high travel costs to schedule NON-CONF or face the battle a team like APP has - NO ONE would schedule them - Big Balls to Northern AZ - I'm sure the Montana's and UNI's and McNeese's have a similar problem - The Non-Conference structure is set in place to assist the CAA (not on purpose) and UNTIL THE COMMITTEE REWARDS TEAMS FOR TOUGH SCHEDULING THIS WILL NEVER CHANGE AND THIS ARGUMENT WILL BE HAPPENING EVERY YEAR!!!

dbackjon
November 22nd, 2007, 11:37 AM
In that vein, had NAU not choked against Sac St, they should have gotten the final at-large. They would have been 7-4, with losses to 5-6 FBS Arizona (who beat #2 Oregon), and FCS playoff participants ASU, UM and EWU.

blueballs
November 22nd, 2007, 11:41 AM
In that vein, had NAU not choked against Sac St, they should have gotten the final at-large. They would have been 7-4, with losses to 5-6 FBS Arizona (who beat #2 Oregon), and FCS playoff participants ASU, UM and EWU.

You're right, but do you think that would have been the ruling or do you think they (the committee) would have cited yet another reason to put "their homeboys" in and not you?

UNHWildCats
November 22nd, 2007, 11:50 AM
I am somewhat impartial in this argument so let me make a couple of points where I feel we have a real concern in this process - OUT OF CONFERENCE SCHEDULING and the committee decision to "change" the stated guidelines - First, the guidelines say ---The following principles shall apply when selecting at-large teams:
1. The committee shall select the best teams available on a national at-large basis to complete the bracket;
2. There is no limit to the number of teams the committee may select from one conference;
3. The won-lost record of a team will be scrutinized to determine a team’s strength of schedule; however, less than seven Division I wins MAY place a team in jeopardy of not being selected; -

From what I understand the committee changed "MAY" to "Absolutely no consideration given" --- If the rules stipulate "MAY" the cases MUST be looked at on an individual basis in a year like this. I do think UNH is a better team than Norfolk ST or Albany of any of the San Diego's of the country - I also think GSU, Elon and Citadel are better as well - I think Villanova is better - So the choice should have come down to Elon, GSU, UNH, Citadel or Villanova, etc. and the committee should have reviewed their entire seasons and not eliminated teams for having less than 7 wins - Elon lost 2 games to APP, the defending NC and FBS So. Fla ranked as high as #2 and beat Wofford - Citadel lost to APP and Wisconsin who ranked as high as #5 - GSU beat APP and Wofford - If that had been done I absolutely don't think UNH would have deserved the last pick ---
BUT - the problem stems from NON-CONF scheduling - Most of the CAA can schedule games "that count" against teams they can BEAT based on the close proximity of the schools - Other conferences are looking at either having extremely high travel costs to schedule NON-CONF or face the battle a team like APP has - NO ONE would schedule them - Big Balls to Northern AZ - I'm sure the Montana's and UNI's and McNeese's have a similar problem - The Non-Conference structure is set in place to assist the CAA (not on purpose) and UNTIL THE COMMITTEE REWARDS TEAMS FOR TOUGH SCHEDULING THIS WILL NEVER CHANGE AND THIS ARGUMENT WILL BE HAPPENING EVERY YEAR!!!

TOUGH SCHEDULING?

GSU, Elon and Citadel all play a sub Div I team while UNH didnt.

Teams know that not getting 7 Div I wins means there season is likely over, yet they continue to schedule games that wont count for them and then the fans whine about it 5 days later because a team that didnt schedule any teams below Div I and also went on the road and beat a FBS team actually got the 7 Div I wins and made it in.

UNH had tougher schedules then the other 3 too, UNH (17), Elon (23), GSU (26) and Citadel (31)

FCS Preview
November 22nd, 2007, 11:59 AM

Sorry, but I don't look at scheduling a D-II school as "tough scheduling". Even if it's Grand Valley State, a FCS school should beat them. Granted, playing a non-scholly is not 'tough scheduling' either...but they are still D-I. The SoCon plays only 7 conference games (as opposed to the CAA which plays 8). That means they have 4 non-conference games with which to schedule some patsies. They won't come to you? Then go to them. Don't complain about it. Go (5-2) in the conference, (2-2) non-conference and you get to 7.

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
November 22nd, 2007, 12:02 PM
Sorry, but I don't look at scheduling a D-II school as "tough scheduling". Even if it's Grand Valley State, a FCS school should beat them. Granted, playing a non-scholly is not 'tough scheduling' either...but they are still D-I. The SoCon plays only 7 conference games (as opposed to the CAA which plays 8). That means they have 4 non-conference games with which to schedule some patsies. They won't come to you? Then go to them. Don't complain about it. Go (5-2) in the conference, (2-2) non-conference and you get to 7.

I disagree with this...

There are many teams in Div II that could throttle a substantial number of FCS teams, just like there are many FCS teams that can throttle a substantial number of FBS schools. Take almost any team from the CAA or SoCon and match them up against a Sun Belt team and watch the slaughter begin.

It's never a given

dbackjon
November 22nd, 2007, 12:04 PM

One of the problems for many western teams is that there are not enough FCS teams to schedule, at least that are willing to travel. NAU is basically forced to pay a D-II team to come to Flagstaff so we can get 5 home games a year.

UNI, SUU, and Southland teams have been the only teams willing in the past few decades to do home and homes with NAU.

And a 24 schollie D-II team is far tougher than Dartmouth or Iona.

WVAPPmountaineer
November 22nd, 2007, 12:11 PM

You miss the point --- There aren't that many available teams to play and how many of them want to take on the SoCon - There's no Patriot, or Ivy or NEC, etc. for these teams to play - There's the Big South and they schedule the SoCon but they too don't want to schedule 3-4 OCC losses - APP used to play EKY every year - EKY dropped the game and picked up Western Carolina - Elon had trouble filling out a schedule - APP had a terrible time - It's not that these teams aren't willing to take on the best - most won't play them - Ask GSU about trying to schedule out of conference - You're putting the blame on the teams and in most cases in this part of the country that is just not the case!!! ---

UNHWildCats
November 22nd, 2007, 12:12 PM
I disagree with this...

There are many teams in Div II that could throttle a substantial number of FCS teams, just like there are many FCS teams that can throttle a substantial number of FBS schools. Take almost any team from the CAA or SoCon and match them up against a Sun Belt team and watch the slaughter begin.

It's never a given
Top FCS teams should never lose or even come close to losing to a sub Div I team.

dbackjon
November 22nd, 2007, 12:14 PM
Top FCS teams should never lose or even come close to losing to a sub Div I team.

We aren't talking about TOP FCS teams - but in the committee's flawed eyes, a win over LaSalle counts more over a win over the best D-II team.

Iona or Dartmouth could not make the D-II playoffs.

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
November 22nd, 2007, 12:19 PM
We aren't talking about TOP FCS teams - but in the committee's flawed eyes, a win over LaSalle counts more over a win over the best D-II team.

Iona or Dartmouth could not make the D-II playoffs.

Exactly xcoolx

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
November 22nd, 2007, 12:21 PM

Last year Montana State beat Colorado, lost to Chadron the next week and made the playoffs and past Furman in the 1st round as a 7-4 team coming in...So by your logic a team with the same record should have made it in over MSU just because they lost to Chadron and the Colorado win doesn't matter?

UNHWildCats
November 22nd, 2007, 12:23 PM
And Montana State is still ridiculed for that loss, they however got the nescesary 7 Div I wins. GSU, Elon and Citadel didnt.

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
November 22nd, 2007, 12:26 PM
And Montana State is still ridiculed for that loss, they however got the nescesary 7 Div I wins. GSU, Elon and Citadel didnt.

Well those 3 don't necessarily deserve to be in over New Hampshire...but I think Albany, Dayton, or San Diego had a better case to be in over a 5th CAA team. Especially Albany.

Cincy App
November 22nd, 2007, 12:33 PM
One of the problems for many western teams is that there are not enough FCS teams to schedule, at least that are willing to travel. NAU is basically forced to pay a D-II team to come to Flagstaff so we can get 5 home games a year.

UNI, SUU, and Southland teams have been the only teams willing in the past few decades to do home and homes with NAU.

And a 24 schollie D-II team is far tougher than Dartmouth or Iona.

Well said - it's wrong that UNH gets credit for a win over non-scholarship Iona in particular. Most D-II teams would beat Iona (ranked #376 by Massey) easily. The guideline should be wins over scholarship FCS schools. The final playoff entry probably should have been either Norfolk St or Villanova (which did have 7 scholarship wins). And the "7 win" guideline needs tweaking.

With that said, no team really got "woofed" this year.

FCS Preview
November 22nd, 2007, 12:33 PM
Well those 3 don't necessarily deserve to be in over New Hampshire...but I think Albany, Dayton, or San Diego had a better case to be in over a 5th CAA team. Especially Albany.
Based on what? A single win over a Fordham team that only made the playoffs because they had the AQ? Had there been no AQ for the Patriot League, Fordham is sitting home this weekend.

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
November 22nd, 2007, 12:51 PM
Based on what? A single win over a Fordham team that only made the playoffs because they had the AQ? Had there been no AQ for the Patriot League, Fordham is sitting home this weekend.

Based on beating Fordham as a playoff team whether they would be sitting home or not, playing Montana in a tough game, winning their conference and last 7 games in a row and seriously dominating in them, better record than NH who was seriously thumped by a 3-8 Northeastern and didn't even challenge UMass

Houndawg
November 22nd, 2007, 01:27 PM
TOUGH SCHEDULING?

Teams know that not getting 7 Div I wins means there season is likely over, yet they continue to schedule games that wont count for them and then the fans whine about it 5 days later because a team that didnt schedule any teams below Div I and also went on the road and beat a FBS team actually got the 7 Div I wins and made it in.

UNH had tougher schedules then the other 3 too, UNH (17), Elon (23), GSU (26) and Citadel (31)

YSU was the best of the 7-4's. Lost to UNI by 1, SIU by 7, Illinois State by 5, and Ohio State.

UNHWildCats
November 22nd, 2007, 01:35 PM
YSU was the best of the 7-4's. Lost to UNI by 1, SIU by 7, Illinois State by 5, and Ohio State.
And only had 6 Div I wins, GET OVER IT

UNHWildCats
November 22nd, 2007, 01:36 PM
Its a good thing your not on the selection committee.... Albany, Dayton and San Diego huh? They havent beaten anyone.

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
November 22nd, 2007, 02:04 PM
Its a good thing your not on the selection committee.... Albany, Dayton and San Diego huh? They havent beaten anyone.

Well I'd say the same for you but you don't have to be...they gave NH an undeserved playoff spot w/o you xpeacex xsmiley_wix

CID1990
November 22nd, 2007, 03:05 PM
TOUGH SCHEDULING?

In the case of The Citadel, I think that we have less of an argument for the playoffs than GSU. That being said, our strength of schedule has never been an issue. First of all, this year's game against an NAIA opponent was an anomaly. We occasionally play those teams, but normally we play two FBS teams, as we will next year and in 2009. The game against Webber filled a hole that we could not fill with an FBS team, although we wanted to. Those games DO count, but they are almost always losses. (If we scheduled Army or Marshall more often, then we would win more of them, but we like to play SEC and ACC teams). For all intents and purposes, the argument doesn't hold merit when you say that somehow scheduling OOC games against lesser divisions is not as good as scheduling OOC games against D-I foes, because for FCS teams, an OOC game almost always means either going UP or going DOWN. Athough playing other FCS teams OOC is possible, it is very difficult to do consistently, because those other FCS schools are also playing guarantee games and their schedules are tighter.

Next year we will play Florida, Clempson, and Princeton for our OOC schedule. As a result, we will almost automatically have one more loss than we did this year. Maybe we should schedule a Marshall or a Kent State like UNH? I have little love for GSU, but I think it is a no brainer that they had a better argument for the playoffs than UNH.

CID1990
November 22nd, 2007, 03:06 PM

I concur that YSU would also have been a good choice.

santosballnewhampshire
November 22nd, 2007, 03:11 PM
can everyone who didn't make the playoffs stop whining please! your team didn't have enough wins or quality wins or whatever the commitee already made there choice so tough........ win the games you should and schedule teams that are not in DII or III give it a rest

CID1990
November 22nd, 2007, 03:13 PM
can everyone who didn't make the playoffs stop whining please! your team didn't have enough wins or quality wins or whatever the commitee already made there choice so tough........ win the games you should and schedule teams that are not in DII or III give it a rest

Or, just join the CAA and then win half of your conference games.

santosballnewhampshire
November 22nd, 2007, 04:46 PM
my point exactly....... do you want some cheese with that whine?

WVAPPmountaineer
November 22nd, 2007, 04:52 PM
And only had 6 Div I wins, GET OVER IT - Someone please address why the committee chose to ingore the wording of "MAY" and basically said they DID NOT consider anyone with less than 7 ? YSU has a case along with GSU and others - WHY DID THEY INTERPRET "MAY" TO MEAN "NO WAY?" ---

gophoenix
November 22nd, 2007, 05:00 PM
With all this being said, the committee used to not count a I-AA win over a team from the MAAC, NEC or Pioneer for the I-AA playoffs. Find the old scribe board with articles and comments to this effect. I won't say the Ivies never counted because they always have.

My question is, when did this change? And don't say when they created the wording for 7 D-I wins, because still, articles stated that wins over those previously mentioned conferences did not count.

So my point is. This year, wins over NS teams counted. Will this be consistent in the future???

Personally, I blame ETSU for this SoCon mess. Had they kept up with their program, we'd all have had that extra conference game to fall back on.

But when it comes down to the line; getting home games in certain regions is hard. The MEAC and SWAC fill up OOC with classics and very few games otherwise (see A&T and Del St not renewing the Elon series the past few years). That leaves the Big South to schedule. But they, just like us, want and need home games too. Outside of that, what choice is there? It is expensive for OVC schools to come to this side of the mountains. The CAA teams have few conference games but how more OOC choices in the NEC. The Gateway runs into the same problem as the SoCon in their region. They have a handful of pioneer schools and the OVC. And when you go west, it is even more barren for I-AA teams that can travel cheap.

But when it comes down to most NS teams, they have little funding and little travel budget, so getting them to come to the South or the Midwest is difficult if not impossible.

WrenFGun
November 22nd, 2007, 05:45 PM
Oy, do yourselves a favor and actually listen to CSN waves..seriously.

The committee chairman came on and said that ALL 6 DI WIN TEAMS WERE STRUCK FROM THE BOARD, because, in their perspective, the 6 WINS THEY DID HAVE were not CAPTIVATING enough to warrant entry over a 7 DI WIN TEAM. PERIOD.

Second, UNH has a convincing win over Delaware, regardless of score, a win over an FBS team, and a win over a 7-4 Hofstra. I'm not sure what more you'd like.

WrenFGun
November 22nd, 2007, 05:46 PM
Oh, and instead of criticizing UNH for exploiting a loophole with Iona, why don't the SoCon teams crying about not getting an entry exploit the same thing? It's not as if the CAA was the only conference that knew about the rule.

gophoenix
November 22nd, 2007, 05:49 PM
Oh, and instead of criticizing UNH for exploiting a loophole with Iona, why don't the SoCon teams crying about not getting an entry exploit the same thing? It's not as if the CAA was the only conference that knew about the rule.

I'm not crying about it. I am simply stating that committees of the past have not counted I-AA NS Wins. But this changed. All many of us are asking for is consistency.

Well that, and asking for the CAA teams to play a real round robin schedule, however you think that should be done.

GoGSU
November 22nd, 2007, 05:57 PM
UNH will get their a$$ kicked by 30 points...........GSU would have made it a game and close until the end.

UNHWildCats
November 22nd, 2007, 05:57 PM
3. The won-lost record of a team will be scrutinized to determine a team’s strength of schedule; however, less than seven Division I wins may place a team in jeopardy of not being selected

I think thats pretty clear it says not having 7 wins may place a team in jeopardy of not being selected.

It doesnt say a team that has less then 7 D I wins may be considered.

As long as the 7 win rule is there wether its just a guideline or not, no team with less then 7 D I wins will be selected unless theres no other teams with 7 DI wins among the major conferences.

I think If it came down to a 7-6 GSU or Citadel with 6 DI wins they could be chosen ahead of a Pioneer or NEC team with 7 DI wins, but they will never be selected over a team with the required 7 DI wins from a major conference.

WrenFGun
November 22nd, 2007, 05:58 PM
I won't disagree with that. The CAA is much too big. UMass did not have to play any of Richmond, JMU or Delaware, nor did Hofstra.

If the CAA wants to take its teams (Northeastern, JMU, Delaware, Towson, William & Mary, Hofstra) and add two others (Old Dominion, Georgia State?) and the AEAst wants to form some football (UNH, UMass, Richmond, URI, UMaine, Villanova) and add two others (Stony Brook, Albany) that would certainly work, and then we'd have two autobid conferences with eight teams. The competitive balance would probably still be reasonable, too.

UNHWildCats
November 22nd, 2007, 05:59 PM
UNH will get their a$$ kicked by 30 points...........GSU would have made it a game and close until the end.
Still bitter from losing to us in 2004? ;)

WrenFGun
November 22nd, 2007, 06:02 PM
Boy, seriously, if UNH doesn't come close I don't think we'll here the end of it, frankly.

GreatAppSt
November 22nd, 2007, 06:04 PM
Instead of the 7 D I wins MAY put a selection in serious jeopardy how about.

A team without 7 wins over any division school that gives a minimum of 30 schollies or equivelacies in aide.

I'm sorry but FCS non scholly is bull***** no matter how you dress it up. It's exactly these Schools in FCS that give the whole league a wuss reputation in FBS.xmadx

bobbythekidd
November 22nd, 2007, 06:04 PM
No, just bitter that you got in.

GoGSU
November 22nd, 2007, 06:05 PM
;))

Nah......you guys were actually a good team that year! ;)

JohnStOnge
November 22nd, 2007, 06:14 PM
Sorry, but I don't look at scheduling a D-II school as "tough scheduling". Even if it's Grand Valley State, a FCS school should beat them. .

I don't think that's a realistic outlook. It ignores a history that suggests that top D-II teams have been comparable to top I-AA/FCS teams. It ignores the fact that there have been two meetings historically between eventual I-AA and D-II champs with the outcome being the I-AA champ winning 17-14 in one matchup and the D-II champ winning 23-20 in the other. It ignores stuff like one of my favorite illustrations of the situation: D-II playoff participant Valdosta State blowing out I-AA semifinalist Florida Atlantic by 45-17 in 2003.

Every year there are a number of teams in D-II that are every bit as good as FCS playoff teams. Every year, the best team in D-II is better than the overwhelming majority of teams in FCS. In some years, maybe all of them.

It simply isn't true that a FCS school should beat any D-II school. Especially a D-II school that's got teams like Grand Valley State's had recently.

Now, having said all that, Georgia Southern didn't play Grand Valley State. The Eagles played a West Georgia squad that finished 2-9.

santosballnewhampshire
November 22nd, 2007, 06:20 PM
;))

Nah......you guys were actually a good team that year! ;)

Have fun in Statesboro this weekend, maybe I can send you a postcard from the UNI dome.

GreatAppSt
November 22nd, 2007, 06:24 PM
Oy, do yourselves a favor and actually listen to CSN waves..seriously.

The committee chairman came on and said that ALL 6 DI WIN TEAMS WERE STRUCK FROM THE BOARD, because, in their perspective, the 6 WINS THEY DID HAVE were not CAPTIVATING enough to warrant entry over a 7 DI WIN TEAM. PERIOD.

Second, UNH has a convincing win over Delaware, regardless of score, a win over an FBS team, and a win over a 7-4 Hofstra. I'm not sure what more you'd like. Yep, OK pros, the Cons are UNH lost to 3 of the other four playoff teams from the CAA and a bad NE team two of those in the last three weeks. In other words they started hot and dwindled to a finish. UNH already demonsrated a 25% or less chance of beating a playoff caliber team. So what is the real chance they could beat four playoff caliber teams in a row? An honest playoff committee would chose teams that in theory might actually stand a chance (even a small one) of winning the big enchilada. I'm sorry my UNH friends your 07 team has no chance Zero Zip point Shiz. The only rings they see during the 07 holidays are in jewelry stores. IMHO

If UNH does become the champ. I'm cooking Travis a gourmet Japanese supper, in a thong, with an Asian table dancer for entertainment.xthumbsupx

JohnStOnge
November 22nd, 2007, 06:36 PM
As I'm sure others have written, Villanova's the one that's got the real beef. Their losses were to Maryland, James Madison, UMass, and Richmond. UNH, which lost to 3-8 Northeastern, getting in over Villanova makes absolutely no sense to me. Only thing I can guess is that the committee noted that UNH beat a FBS team (2-9 Marshall) while Villanova lost to Maryland.

But I actually think the most questionable at large bid is Eastern Illinois. The Panthers are at 36 in the average rankings at http://www.mratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm and 37th in the GPI thing. Looking at the records it looks like the best team they beat was 6-5 Jacksonville State; which is the only team they beat that finished with better than a 4-7 record. The only non-OVC team they beat was 0-11 Indiana State.

I hate to be mean, but I'm pretty jealous of the draw Southern Illinois got in the first round.

UNHWildCats
November 22nd, 2007, 06:47 PM
Yep, OK pros, the Cons are UNH lost to 3 of the other four playoff teams from the CAA and a bad NE team two of those in the last three weeks. In other words they started hot and dwindled to a finish. UNH already demonsrated a 25% or less chance of beating a playoff caliber team. So what is the real chance they could beat four playoff caliber teams in a row? An honest playoff committee would chose teams that in theory might actually stand a chance (even a small one) of winning the big enchilada. I'm sorry my UNH friends your 07 team has no chance Zero Zip point Shiz. The only rings they see during the 07 holidays are in jewelry stores. IMHO

If UNH does become the champ. I'm cooking Travis a gourmet Japanese supper, in a thong, with an Asian table dancer for entertainment.xthumbsupx

cant we just have the asian dancer in a thong instead lol

th0m
November 22nd, 2007, 07:03 PM
Are we really still talking about this xlolx

Nice. It's good to be the top conference.

GreatAppSt
November 22nd, 2007, 10:55 PM
Are we really still talking about this xlolx

Nice. It's good to be the top conference.

xlolx

The rest of the country knows of the NE's long standing history of gerrymandering results.xlolx