PDA

View Full Version : Geoff Collins, Randy Sanders mentioned for WCU job(link)

catamount man
November 22nd, 2007, 07:51 AM
From Asheville Citizen-Times 11/22/2007:

Collins may be WCU candidate
Alabama assistant, former Catamount recommended for coaching position
by Keith Jarrett, [email protected]
published November 22, 2007 12:15 am

Cullowhee – It’s too early in the race to call him a frontrunner, but it appears Alabama assistant Geoff Collins has entered the contest to become head football coach at Western Carolina.
Advertisement

Athletic director Chip Smith fired Kent Briggs and his staff on Nov. 12.

Briggs’ six-year record with the Catamounts was 22-43 and he left the program with 15 consecutive Southern Conference losses.

Smith, who must pay Briggs $221,646 over the next two years after giving the coach a three-year extension 14 months before firing him, said it was too early to mention specific names of coaches who may be in the running for or interested in the job.

Smith said he hasn’t talked with Collins, but several people have recommended the former WCU assistant to him.

Asked if Collins had been in contact to express an interest in the job, Smith smiled and said, “I’d rather not comment.”

Smith said several people have also recommended Kentucky assistant Randy Sanders, the former Tennessee offensive coordinator.

Smith hasn’t spoken with nor heard from Sanders, he said. Neither Collins nor Sanders could be reached for comment.

(***I was told at the Furman game that Sanders had already called Chip. Carry on***-PCC)

“I’m just starting the search,” said Smith.

“I’m talking to a lot of people, getting recommendations and taking a lot of calls from people who are interested in the job.”

Smith said he expects to start talking to potential candidates on Monday and could be ready to interview coaches soon thereafter.

A former WCU player and ’93 graduate, Collins, 36, was an assistant under Briggs from 2002-05 before leaving to take a job at Georgia Tech. This is his first year as director of player personnel under Nick Saban’s new staff at Alabama.

Smith offered the following criteria when asked what qualifications he was looking for.

-College experience.

-Experience with a winning program.

-Comfort level with a school and football program at WCU’s level.

-Comfort level of himself and family living in a small, remote community like Cullowhee.

-Comfort level getting along with rest of athletic staff.

“I really don’t have a timetable. I want to make a decision as quickly as possible, but I’m not going to rush it for any reason like recruiting,” said Smith.

Smith said WCU assistant coach John Scott is the only coach working on recruiting until a new head coach is hired.

(I trust in Chip!!! GO CATAMOUNTS!!!)xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

catamount man
November 22nd, 2007, 10:56 AM
Also, Matt Ballard from Morehead State is rumored as well.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

smallcollegefbfan
November 22nd, 2007, 12:39 PM
From Asheville Citizen-Times 11/22/2007:

Collins may be WCU candidate
Alabama assistant, former Catamount recommended for coaching position
by Keith Jarrett, [email protected]
published November 22, 2007 12:15 am

Cullowhee – It’s too early in the race to call him a frontrunner, but it appears Alabama assistant Geoff Collins has entered the contest to become head football coach at Western Carolina.
Advertisement

Athletic director Chip Smith fired Kent Briggs and his staff on Nov. 12.

Briggs’ six-year record with the Catamounts was 22-43 and he left the program with 15 consecutive Southern Conference losses.

Smith, who must pay Briggs $221,646 over the next two years after giving the coach a three-year extension 14 months before firing him, said it was too early to mention specific names of coaches who may be in the running for or interested in the job.

Smith said he hasn’t talked with Collins, but several people have recommended the former WCU assistant to him.

Asked if Collins had been in contact to express an interest in the job, Smith smiled and said, “I’d rather not comment.”

Smith said several people have also recommended Kentucky assistant Randy Sanders, the former Tennessee offensive coordinator.

Smith hasn’t spoken with nor heard from Sanders, he said. Neither Collins nor Sanders could be reached for comment.

(***I was told at the Furman game that Sanders had already called Chip. Carry on***-PCC)

“I’m just starting the search,” said Smith.

“I’m talking to a lot of people, getting recommendations and taking a lot of calls from people who are interested in the job.”

Smith said he expects to start talking to potential candidates on Monday and could be ready to interview coaches soon thereafter.

A former WCU player and ’93 graduate, Collins, 36, was an assistant under Briggs from 2002-05 before leaving to take a job at Georgia Tech. This is his first year as director of player personnel under Nick Saban’s new staff at Alabama.

Smith offered the following criteria when asked what qualifications he was looking for.

-College experience.

-Experience with a winning program.

-Comfort level with a school and football program at WCU’s level.

-Comfort level of himself and family living in a small, remote community like Cullowhee.

-Comfort level getting along with rest of athletic staff.

“I really don’t have a timetable. I want to make a decision as quickly as possible, but I’m not going to rush it for any reason like recruiting,” said Smith.

Smith said WCU assistant coach John Scott is the only coach working on recruiting until a new head coach is hired.

(I trust in Chip!!! GO CATAMOUNTS!!!)xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Best of luck in finding a coach.

catamount man
November 22nd, 2007, 01:50 PM
Thanks.xthumbsupx

whoanellie
November 22nd, 2007, 03:36 PM
Why not Lonnie Galloway?

catamount man
November 22nd, 2007, 08:47 PM
Why not Lonnie Galloway?

We don't want him.xthumbsupx

SuperEagle
November 22nd, 2007, 09:49 PM
As an assisant at Tech, a program I follow pretty closely, I know he was a very succesful recruiter and coach. Having ties in both Ga, North Carolina and Al. will help him too. I think he would be a pretty good choice.

gophoenix
November 22nd, 2007, 11:54 PM
Ballard and Collins were both finalists for the job at Elon 2 years ago. I think both would be excellent choices.

WCU LawCat
November 23rd, 2007, 04:16 PM
I think most WCU fans would be over the top thrilled to have Geoff Collins back and increased program funding to boot.

The players love Collins everywhere he goes.

I would love to have Lonnie Galloway back in Cullowhee....as an assistant. I don't think he has coordinator experience yet.

Another name that has been mentioned in the past is long time Tennessee assistant and alum Dan Brooks. I just hope whoever is hired has good southern recruiting ties.

citdog
November 23rd, 2007, 04:31 PM
if you don't interview Kenny Carter y'all are nuts!