PDA

View Full Version : The CSN Way: The Second Season Begins

CSN-info
November 21st, 2007, 03:54 PM
The CSN Way: The Second Season Begins
Charles Burton, CSN Columnist

The Division I Football Championships kicks off with the best 16 D-I teams in the country all starting over at 0-0 and each needs four wins to become the national champion. Also understood is only one team will get to 4-0 in the "second season."

READ MORE... http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=89176

TokyoGriz
November 21st, 2007, 04:06 PM
No Way Montana loses by 10 points! xlolx xlolx

I could see a 3 point loss but 10 is just wishful thinking on your part there Mr. Burton. xnodx xnodx

Thanks for the article though was entertaining.

putter
November 21st, 2007, 04:07 PM
Wow, Chuck. The Griz losing by double digits at home? Could happen but I would be surprised to see Wofford hold the Griz to 20.

Ronbo
November 21st, 2007, 04:10 PM
They gave up like 44 points to WCU. HaHaHa! Hilarious.xlolx xlolx xlolx Burton and Coulson have been picking us to lose all year. Maybe this week he'll finally be right. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

charliej
November 21st, 2007, 05:31 PM
The CSN Way: The Second Season Begins
Charles Burton, CSN Columnist

The Division I Football Championships kicks off with the best 16 D-I teams in the country all starting over at 0-0 .....

READ MORE... http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=89176

Keep drinkin what the committee is sellin and it'll never change.xsmhx

CSN-info
November 21st, 2007, 05:37 PM
Keep drinkin what the committee is sellin and it'll never change.xsmhxCSN doesn't make the rules, the NCAA does:
The following principles shall apply when selecting at-large teams:
1. The committee shall select the best teams available on a national at-large basis to complete the bracketAnything else is sour grapes (BTW, our GPI agrees with your sour grapes).

GrizFoo
November 21st, 2007, 06:26 PM
It is funny how many people assume that lack of a tough schedule means a team hasn't been tested and won't rise to the occasion when facing a playoff calliber team who won their conference also.

I believe the lack of playing more playoff caliber teams or a I-A team, and the fact that UM hasn't destroyed most teams leads people to believe they are not worthy of their ranking. I think this thinking is flawed a bit, though when you are ranked in the top 3 you can easily be considered over-ranked.

Also, SUU had a hell of a schedule. They are easily the best no win team, though I know that isn't saying much. Albany won their conference, and are not a bad team...heck they might have been close to getting into the playoffs.

There is no excuse for Ft. Lewis. I hate that UM scheduled them, but what more could the team do other than crush them...which they did.

Also, finding a way to win every game, in a conference that has teams that can be quite good on any given saturday (but are inconsistant to say the least) and is a auto-qualifier conference that has tons of fine athletes is not something to scoff at. I don't really care how cup cake of a schedule a team has, they still have to play their conference foes, and rivals. It is tough to get ready physically and mentally every week, and the Griz have been ready, and have done so with an ever present target on their back. The target on the Griz is every bit as present as any team has ever had in I-AA/FCS history. Appy is getting a taste of having a target on your back, regardless of who you play, with their back to back NCs, and the win over some team I forget the name of (maybe Coulson could remind me again, LOL).

Now, it is a new season, lose and you are done. Wofford is a damn good team, I think they would have been (quality wise) the next team to get a home game had there been more teams in the playoffs (no I don't want more teams, 16 is just right). I don't even think losing to Wofford in a close battle is that telling that the Griz aren't still a great team. If they do beat UM, they could roll into the semis or even the NC game for all anyone knows.

I think UM is the most critisized, underrated (by non voting fans) top 5 team. And give Wofford credit, I don't think a loss to Wofford would deserve the kind of "I told you so's" that UM will get if they lose to Wofford. Give Woff some credit, they are a very good team, losing to them on any given saturday doesn't mean your team isn't good or even very good. Though I don't see Wofford winning the game, I think they deserve some serious respect from all football fans.

Go Griz. Enjoy the game Wofford.

Syntax Error
November 21st, 2007, 06:43 PM
No one has to talk the Griz up at AGS, AGS has the Griz ranked #3.

charliej
November 21st, 2007, 07:28 PM
CSN doesn't make the rules, the NCAA does:Anything else is sour grapes (BTW, our GPI agrees with your sour grapes).

Sour grapes?....Definately! I can't argue with that.;), not my point though.

Every year it seems that there are just some questionable decisions made.Not just in selections,but brackets,seeding,regionalisation etc.(IMO this year was good compared to Wofford in '02). The committee makes these decisions and give weak,thin explinations on why those choices were made if they give any explaination at all. By and large,the media,(CSN,TSN,SME etc.) just accepts this even if/when they don't agree. Whats wrong with asking the tough questions of these committee people,or reporting on aspects that just don't add up? Let the committee know that someone IS closely monitoring what they do. It might make no difference at all,but if you just take what they say at face value and report that "The Division I Football Championships kicks off with the best 16 D-I teams in the country..."when most don't agree that the best 16 are out there, then I don't think anything will change anytime soon.

xtwocentsx

Syntax Error
November 21st, 2007, 07:38 PM
I don't think there is any great argument that the 16 best teams are not in. None of the very best were left out. Arguing that Villanova/NSU/Albany/Dayton should have got in over EIU and/or UNH is really splitting hairs IMO. I think most agree with that.

charliej
November 21st, 2007, 09:51 PM
I don't think there is any great argument that the 16 best teams are not in. None of the very best were left out. Arguing that Villanova/NSU/Albany/Dayton should have got in over EIU and/or UNH is really splitting hairs IMO. I think most agree with that.

I agree with you. Things sometimes look bigger than they are when they hit close to home.:)

McNeese75
November 21st, 2007, 10:06 PM
CHUCK!!! What are you doing??????? xmadx

You pick against us all year and now your gonna go with us?? xconfusedx

:D

Lehigh Football Nation
November 22nd, 2007, 06:52 AM
I'm simply surprised that no Richmond fans disagreed with me! :D

UAalum72
November 22nd, 2007, 05:24 PM
Um, they might be the best 16 D-I teams in the FCS, but LSU or Kansas might be the best D-I team in the country

As much as we insist that we are Division I, you can't exclude the FBS from 'best 16 D-i teams in the country' just because they're not in the championships.

URMite
November 23rd, 2007, 09:41 AM
I'm simply surprised that no Richmond fans disagreed with me! :D

OK, you want someone to disagree with you

1984 Win vs BU
Loss @ URI
1987 Loss @ ASU
1998 Loss vs Lehigh
2000 Win vs YSU
Loss @ Montana
2005 Win @ Hampton
Loss vs Furman

2-2 at home not 1-3

I think TOs could be a real problem but considering we have 3 fumbles for the year, and 7 interceptions since our opening day FBS game, we have a chance to limit the turnover margin (and need to). We seem to be going into this game as business as usual instead of with bravado, so not much chatter.

Syntax Error
November 23rd, 2007, 09:46 AM
Um, they might be the best 16 D-I teams in the FCS, but LSU or Kansas might be the best D-I team in the country
As much as we insist that we are Division I, you can't exclude the FBS from 'best 16 D-i teams in the country' just because they're not in the championships.Perhaps you missed the beginning of the sentence? "The Division I Football Championships kicks off with the best 16 D-I teams in the country all starting over at 0-0 and each needs four wins to become the national champion." If LSU or Kansas (who knew they play football) want to win a championship they need to join FCS.