PDA

View Full Version : Sportsnetwork bias against Socon and GSU

gsugt1
November 21st, 2007, 10:28 AM
A few weeks back in an article finalizing the Payton candidates they left out Jayson as one of the final 16 for the Payton. I emailed them and it was fixed. Today while looking at thier site I didn't see any news about the Socon all conference teams. But I did see the CAA, PFL and most of the other leagues. Is this all a coincidence ? Maybe , maybe not.

Am I looking for a problem that isn't there? but it does seem to happen alot.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/index.aspx?sport=AG

citdog
November 21st, 2007, 10:30 AM
everyone is biased against gsu, it's a conspiracyxrolleyesx

gsugt1
November 21st, 2007, 10:32 AM
everyone is biased against gsu, it's a conspiracyxrolleyesx

I said Socon first and GSU second. I call it like I see it. xnodx

smallcollegefbfan
November 21st, 2007, 10:46 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Foster won the Payton. Doubt they are trying to snub you guys. You should email them and ask.

straightshooter
November 21st, 2007, 10:51 AM
Don't know whether Foster will will the Payton award, but he certainly should win it.

appfan2008
November 21st, 2007, 10:53 AM
i guess the socon is a second rate conference...

not... the world aint out to get us!

i am sure the sports network will put our teams up shortly or at least they should

walliver
November 21st, 2007, 10:54 AM
Since the main (?only) FCS employe at Sports Network is Mr. C, I doubt there is any anti-SoCon bias (although he may be trying to avoid accusations of ASU homerism). As far as Jayson Foster, he may well be the best athlete in FCS, but since he isn't on a play-off team, I suspect he won't do well in the Payton voting. (It's not fair, but that's the way it is IMHO)

McNeese_beat
November 21st, 2007, 10:58 AM
Don't know whether Foster will will the Payton award, but he certainly should win it.

I'm a voter and I voted for him. To be honest, it wasn't even close. The decisions came on who I would vote for 2-5.

gsugt1
November 21st, 2007, 11:04 AM
good point about coulson. Again I was probably just looking for something that wasn't there.

straightshooter
November 21st, 2007, 12:38 PM
I'm really curious about something. How much information are voters for the Payton Award given on the finalists? Do they get only stats? Do they talk other SIDs, writers or coaches? Do they have any video footage to look at?

Bottom line - how do they know who they are voting for?

HaveFunKc
November 21st, 2007, 12:46 PM
A few weeks back in an article finalizing the Payton candidates they left out Jayson as one of the final 16 for the Payton. I emailed them and it was fixed. Today while looking at thier site I didn't see any news about the Socon all conference teams. But I did see the CAA, PFL and most of the other leagues. Is this all a coincidence ? Maybe , maybe not.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/index.aspx?sport=AG

Given who is the Chief Editor now - I doubt seriously if any bias against the SoCon (15+ years as a best writer covering ASU/various newspapers in the south covering the SoCon). More like extra sensitive to the rest of FCS. Mr. C has been a huge advocate of APP and the SoCon in the past. Big step up moving to the FCS versus just one team/one conference. ;)

Gil Dobie
November 21st, 2007, 12:51 PM
Since the main (?only) FCS employe at Sports Network is Mr. C, I doubt there is any anti-SoCon bias (although he may be trying to avoid accusations of ASU homerism). ...............

Good point walliver xthumbsupx

FCS Preview
November 21st, 2007, 01:00 PM
I'm really curious about something. How much information are voters for the Payton Award given on the finalists? Do they get only stats? Do they talk other SIDs, writers or coaches? Do they have any video footage to look at?

They get biographies and statistics from the Sports Network.
They also get tons of e-mails from SIDs regarding the nominated players and coaches.
Sometimes a DVD is sent out.

straightshooter
November 21st, 2007, 01:02 PM
Well, he's certainly been a big advocate of App.

Blueandwhitefightfight
November 21st, 2007, 01:36 PM
good point about coulson. Again I was probably just looking for something that wasn't there.

That would explain the anti-GSU bias. Not sure about the apparently slack coverage about the power conference that we all love though...

terrierbob
November 21st, 2007, 01:58 PM
Remember, just because your paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

GSU 25+yrFan
November 21st, 2007, 02:18 PM
I can tell you I sent him a few emails. One time we went back and forth at least 6 times. I think he did not give GSU & Foster much credit for beating App at home. Moore said after the MU upset just give our team credit for winning, but he and Coulson just talked about App's mistakes. Football is a game you take advantage of the other teams mistakes, GSU made a lot too but came out on top.
During the App game Jayson played at least 6 different positions. Name me one other player that did that this year and in one game? (quarterback, wide receiver, slot receiver, running back, punt returner, even just a decoy) h$ll he probably drove the bus to the Rock. Coulson just has not given Jayson that much print time this year.

citdog
November 21st, 2007, 03:18 PM
Repeat after me.......

David Coulson is a fine writer and a gentleman.

Grizaholic17
November 21st, 2007, 03:20 PM
Repeat after me.......

David Coulson is a finite writer and a gentlewoman.

Fixed it for ya.

smallcollegefbfan
November 21st, 2007, 03:32 PM

SIDs send out information to voters on their players nominated. Many schools put together highlight videos but it is the responsibility of voters to watch games and see some players. Not every school puts together a highlight video. You have to watch these games on tv as well. Highlight videos aren't the best way to see how good a player is.

Voters have the stats on all players and just about every school has weekly releases that can be read, too. With more and more FCS games on TV I find it hard that a voter hasn't seen at least half of the candidates in a full game and at least read a good bit on the rest. A responsible voter talks to SIDs and media members who see players they don't to find out how good they are. Mr. C has been advocating Foster for the Payton behind closed doors. The media and SIDs should know that he feels Foster is worthy of the award by talking to him.

Mr. C does a good job of sending out releases to voters. It is getting easier to see every candidate where say 10-12 years ago it wasn't as easy.

phillyAPP
November 21st, 2007, 03:48 PM
I can tell you I sent him a few emails. One time we went back and forth at least 6 times. I think he did not give GSU & Foster much credit for beating App at home. Moore said after the MU upset just give our team credit for winning, but he and Coulson just talked about App's mistakes. Football is a game you take advantage of the other teams mistakes, GSU made a lot too but came out on top.
During the App game Jayson played at least 6 different positions. Name me one other player that did that this year and in one game? (quarterback, wide receiver, slot receiver, running back, punt returner, even just a decoy) h$ll he probably drove the bus to the Rock. Coulson just has not given Jayson that much print time this year.

EVERYONE who has ever saw him knows he is the best, or one of the best players in FCS. You don't need to be nervous that others are discounting him. I have written many times about the fear he has put me through every time we played GSU.
GSU fans are lucky to have had the opportunity to watch him play for 4 years and he has represented GSU with ALL the class ANY player can. He is tough, skilled, athletic, and a smart athlete.
I am glad he played in the SoCon !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anything else you need. I am sure if you read the thread about him you will see many more who appreciated him.

JohnStOnge
November 21st, 2007, 05:37 PM

What's the case? I'm not saying he shouldn't, but he's 12th in total offense. Nicholls at EWU, for instance, produced just as many TDs total (30) as Foster did and has a pretty good edge in total offense per game (312.5 to 277.0 yards per game).

I guess there's a reason the Southern tabbed Foster instead of Riddle as player of the year but Riddle produced 10 more TDs than Foster (40) and also averaged 339.8 per game total offense.

Then, of course, there's San Diego's Josh Johnson. Yes, schedule strength is a factor but he produced 45 touchdowns, led FCS in total yardage at 371.4 yards per game, led FCS in passing efficiency, and actually had a slightly higher yards per carry average rushing the ball than Foster did (7.19 to 7.07).

Foster is obviously a great running quarterback and did a pretty good job throwing the ball too (33rd in passing efficiency). But I'm not seeing him as the obvious choice for the Payton award. Not based on the stats he and others put up, anyway.

gsugt1
November 21st, 2007, 05:55 PM
Obviously you haven't seen him play. Otherwise you wouldn't have posted that. He is the one player in FCS that on any given play he can run for a td, pass for a td, return a punt for a td, return a kickoff for a td, score on a td pass, etc.

Name me another player who when he touches the ball the folks in the stands get on the edge of their seats knowing he can score from anywhere on the field. Ask the Citadel about the 80 yd run that broke thier back.Ask Wofford about the first few plays of the game when he score from 80 and 74 yards. Ask App about the td run to give us a 7-0 lead. When Furman shut him down he still threw for 3 td passes. Did I mention that he broke the rushing record for qb 's ?

Not trying to be a homer but ......

JohnStOnge
November 21st, 2007, 06:33 PM
Obviously you haven't seen him play. Otherwise you wouldn't have posted that. He is the one player in FCS that on any given play he can run for a td, pass for a td, return a punt for a td, return a kickoff for a td, etc.

Name me another player who when he touches the ball the folks in the stands get on the edge of their seats knowing he can score from anywhere on the field. Ask the Citadel about the 80 yd run that broke thier back.Ask Wofford about the first few plays of the game when he score from 80 and 74 yards. Ask App about the td run to give us a 7-0 lead.

I still might have posted it. Regardless of how it's done there are still players that produced more yards and touchdowns. The return thing is something I hadn't considered though, since I didn't know GSU also used him on returns. Looking at it, I see that he had one kickoff return for 38 yards, 17 punt returns for an average of 7.8 and a long of 17, and no TDs on returns.

Both Johnson and Nicholls averaged more yards per play than he did. Nicholls longest TD play was an 85 yard pass. Johnson's long TD play was an 89 yard run and he had an 80 yard TD pass. Foster did have a longest TD pass of 81 yards as well as the long TD runs (longest TD 82 yards).

Nicholls is a QB who put up 30 TD passes to only 6 interceptions. With Johnson it's 43 TD passes to only 1 interception. That's incredible playing against anybody.

If the question is "who is the best and most dangerous running quarterback in the country?" I don't think there's any doubt you'd have to go with Foster. But that's not what the criterion is. I'm not saying a real good case can't be made for him or that I'd think it'd be some kind of outrage if he got it, but I sure don't see it as an obvious slam dunk.

And I'm sure if people are looking at highlight reels there are obviously plenty of really spectacular highlights of Johnson. No question he'd win it by a wide margin if level of competition was perceived as being anything like close. It's not, but I do wonder if the stats are so eye popping that that disadvantage might be overcome.

I mean, 43 TDs passing and only 1 interception? Over 7 yards per rush and an 89 yard TD run to go with those passing stats?

At some point people have to at least consider the possibility that he really is the best player in FCS.

Syntax Error
November 21st, 2007, 06:52 PM
I mean, 43 TDs passing and only 1 interception? Over 7 yards per rush and an 89 yard TD run to go with those passing stats?My stats are better than that when I play against inferior competition. xnodx Picture Wilt in the 1950s.

JohnStOnge
November 21st, 2007, 07:01 PM
My stats are better than that when I play against inferior competition. xnodx Picture Wilt in the 1950s.

Well, he got 328 total yards and threw 5 TD passes including one of 61 yards with 0 interceptions against Cal Davis while his team scored 46 points in losing by three. I know Cal Davis is an average FCS "mainstream" team but that's more points than North Dakota State or Eastern Washington scored against them in spite of the fact that San Diego's defense was pretty much helpless in the game.

You also have to ask yourself, I think, whether you could've stuck any other FCS quarterback into the position during that game and had him do better. Could you have substituted Jayson Foster, for instance, for Johnson with the rest of the San Diego offense in that UC Davis game and had San Diego score 46 points?

We'll never know, but to me it's the kind of thing you should at least consider and think about. To me you can't just say "he's not the best player" because of level of competition. You can't just automatically say "Nobody from the Pioneer League can be the best player." Not if you're being fair about it.

Syntax Error
November 21st, 2007, 11:18 PM
Well, he got 328 total yards and threw 5 TD passes including one of 61 yards with 0 interceptions against Cal Davis while his team scored 46 points in losing by three. I know Cal Davis is an average FCS "mainstream" team but that's more points than North Dakota State or Eastern Washington scored against them in spite of the fact that San Diego's defense was pretty much helpless in the game.

You also have to ask yourself, I think, whether you could've stuck any other FCS quarterback into the position during that game and had him do better. Could you have substituted Jayson Foster, for instance, for Johnson with the rest of the San Diego offense in that UC Davis game and had San Diego score 46 points?

We'll never know, but to me it's the kind of thing you should at least consider and think about. To me you can't just say "he's not the best player" because of level of competition. You can't just automatically say "Nobody from the Pioneer League can be the best player." Not if you're being fair about it.1. JJohnson wasn't even the Offensive Player of the Year for the PFL.
2. I didn't say "he's not the best player" or "Nobody from the Pioneer League can be the best player."
3. TD passes are not all the QB credit, ask Ricky Santos.
4. They were playing 5-6 UC Davis
5. Do you really want to play comparative scoring?
6. Do you really want to play switch players with teams?
7. Why consider #5 & #6???? How is that "fair"???????

JJohnson is very good without you having to play all these games. xnonox

Gil Dobie
November 22nd, 2007, 06:27 AM

NDSU was done scoring 1:30 into the second half. Up 35-10, the play calling got pretty conservative the rest of the way. It all depends on the offense a team runs.

JohnStOnge
November 22nd, 2007, 07:38 AM
1. JJohnson wasn't even the Offensive Player of the Year for the PFL.
2. I didn't say "he's not the best player" or "Nobody from the Pioneer League can be the best player."
3. TD passes are not all the QB credit, ask Ricky Santos.
4. They were playing 5-6 UC Davis
5. Do you really want to play comparative scoring?
6. Do you really want to play switch players with teams?
7. Why consider #5 & #6???? How is that "fair"???????

JJohnson is very good without you having to play all these games. xnonox

In answer to 7, my understanding is that the award is for the best offensive player in the FCS. So, yes, consider comparative scoring, consider the teams they're playing for. Yes, when considering two players against each other that play the same position, think about how you think each would do if playing with the talent the other one has around him and the level of competition he plays. And these two players appear to both be run/pass threats. It's not like comparing UMass' QB to Foster.

With respect to 2: If you didn't say Johnson is not the best player, why would you exclude him from serious consideration for the award? That's what the award is supposed to be about.

Question: Would you automatically exclude any player from the Pioneer league from winning the Payton Award?

In answer to 3, nothing anybody on a football team does is all to that one player's credit.

ASUMountaineer
November 22nd, 2007, 07:40 AM
Obviously you haven't seen him play. Otherwise you wouldn't have posted that. He is the one player in FCS that on any given play he can run for a td, pass for a td, return a punt for a td, return a kickoff for a td, score on a td pass, etc.

For GSU's sake, I hope you have another Jayson Foster in the wings. He is your whole team. Without him this year, you guys go winless.

gsugt1
November 22nd, 2007, 07:51 AM
Without him this year, you guys go winless.

You're right xeyebrowx xconfusedx

straightshooter
November 22nd, 2007, 08:08 AM
A player with Foster's ability to change a game literally by himself doesn't come along every year. GSU coach Hatcher said that he told his coaches to find him another Foster, and after reviewing more than a thousand highlight tapes from some really good HS players, they're still looking...

GSU still has some gas in the tank, but don't look for the offense to look the same next season. It will be drastically different as the playmakers shift from Foster to speedy WR and big RB.

phillyAPP
November 22nd, 2007, 08:20 AM

You can appologize now that D. Coulson wrote his new piece. lol

gsugt1
November 22nd, 2007, 08:26 AM
You can appologize now that D. Coulson wrote his new piece. lol

xlolx xlolx Maybe he saw that and then wrote the article xthumbsupx xsmiley_wix

phillyAPP
November 22nd, 2007, 08:29 AM
xlolx xlolx Maybe he saw that and then wrote the article xthumbsupx xsmiley_wix

Squeeeeeeky wheel theory, I guess ? Who knows maybe?xrolleyesx xnodx