PDA

View Full Version : Free At Last

CaBisonFan
November 21st, 2007, 01:00 AM
The road has been long. It has been exciting. The scheduling has been difficult. The challenges have been huge. There has been success...and some heartache.

But finally...the North Dakota State Bison can look forward to being playoff-eligible starting next fall. I'll include South Dakota State also, a program that has really evolved in the last years.

We return 19 starters next year...with a few big losses because of graduation. Steve Walker might be the best quarterback to play at North Dakota State. From our D2 days, we have Jeff Bentrim and Chris Simdorn, who also deserve mention on the top quarterback list. But they were masters of the veer. Walker was a wizard with his passing and nerves of steel. The magic ran out last Saturday at South Dakota State, but he will probably be in the Hall of Fame at NDSU someday. Nate Safe, our outstanding left tackle will get a chance in the NFL. He was outstanding. Big shoes to fill.

A new conference also awaits us. Leaving the Great West will be difficult for some fans. We grew to like our visits to Cal Poly, UC Davis, & Southern Utah. But when the Gateway offered a spot...the lure was too strong. We'll finally have a full conference schedule and a high-quality home schedule every year...in other words...a sense of stability. It's also logistically better...right down the midwest corridor.

We know that there are no guarantees in the FCS or the Gateway. The FCS has proven to be very competitive in almost any arena. It's a very high caliber of football. The Gateway is very, very strong.

We look forward to the challenge...and I hope that we can settle in as one of the strong programs consistently. The competition will be intense...but this Bison fan is relieved to be finished with the transitional years. In a strange sort of way...every game felt like a playoff game...as if losing 'one' could present a big problem.

My hat is off to our coaching staff and players. They have been truly amazing.

And now...I will be watching to see who can build up the momentum for this playoff run.

May the best team...and the most deserving kids...win.

May I leave one thought:

As he announced his retirement...John Wooden was asked what his best team was. He answered..."1963." (think that's the right year)

The reporter said, "What...you went 14-13 that year!"

Wooden repeated..."They were my best...team. They gave 100 percent in every practice, and in every game. They were champions."

We could all learn a lot from the Wizard of Westwood...the greatest coach in collegiate history...in my not-so-humble opinion.

Sometimes it 'is' how you play the game.

We respectfully enter the best level of football for the student athlete.