PDA

View Full Version : Meier out at SUU

Freightliner
November 20th, 2007, 08:57 PM
hmm...do ya think their schedule this year had anything to do with this???xchinscratchx xnutsx xnutsx

CEDAR CITY, Utah, Nov. 19 – Southern Utah University head football coach Wes Meier will not have his contract renewed for the 2008 season, SUU Director of Athletics Ken Beazer announced today.

The search for a new coach will begin immediately.

“This was a difficult decision for me but I believe the time is right to make a change in the overall focus and direction in our football program,” Beazer said. “We have raised the bar in many areas and have placed high expectations on all of our programs.

Click here for rest of the story (http://http://www.suu.edu/athletics/football/meiernotrenewed.html)

AZGrizFan
November 20th, 2007, 08:59 PM
How long was he there?

89Hen
November 20th, 2007, 09:08 PM
xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

catbob
November 20th, 2007, 10:13 PM
I guess this was the AD's test. Win a few games versus top notch FCS competition or get packing. That schedule was suicide though.

Poly Pigskin
November 20th, 2007, 10:18 PM
That's total BS. You can't throw a schedule like that at a 3-8 team a season ago (only 1 DI win) and then blame the coach. Maybe you can blame him if there is no improvement next season (assuming a reasonable schedule this time), but not now. You have to feel for Meier, but maybe they can bring someone in who can get SUU a few wins in the GWFC.

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
November 20th, 2007, 10:21 PM
That's total BS. You can't throw a schedule like that at a 3-8 team a season ago (only 1 DI win) and then blame the coach. Maybe you can blame him if there is no improvement next season (assuming a reasonable schedule this time), but not now. You have to feel for Meier, but maybe they can bring someone in who can get SUU a few wins in the GWFC.

I agree! I don't think anyone expected a program desperately trying to get on its fee would be able to succeed with that schedule. I think if they're goint to can the coach they need to give the AD the axe too. xcoffeex

Freightliner
November 20th, 2007, 10:23 PM
How long was he there?

4 years as HC.
5 years total on the staff.

Sawtooth
November 20th, 2007, 10:27 PM
The schedule didn't help matters, but Meier was in way over his head. He was a high school coach with no college experience, became an assistant under his friend Gary Anderson in 2003, then assumed the head job in 2004 when Anderson went back to the University of Utah.

A name that is being thrown around quite a bit is Cal Poly's Offensive Coordinator, Joe DuPaix. The southern Utah paper ran an editorial today endorsing him for the job (he played at SUU).

Poly Pigskin
November 21st, 2007, 08:06 AM
The schedule didn't help matters, but Meier was in way over his head. He was a high school coach with no college experience, became an assistant under his friend Gary Anderson in 2003, then assumed the head job in 2004 when Anderson went back to the University of Utah.

A name that is being thrown around quite a bit is Cal Poly's Offensive Coordinator, Joe DuPaix. The southern Utah paper ran an editorial today endorsing him for the job (he played at SUU).

I still feel that Meier is getting the short end of the stick, regardless of his past credentials, based soley on this season's schedule. However, the decision has been made and it's time to move on.

I'm sure DuPaix would make a solid candidate. I haven't been a big fan of Poly's OCs in the past, but this year I can finally say that the coordinator played a huge role in our success. I would hope that he stays to expand on the foundation that we built this year, but I completely understand if he leaves.

dgreco
November 21st, 2007, 08:16 AM
I still feel that Meier is getting the short end of the stick, regardless of his past credentials, based soley on this season's schedule. However, the decision has been made and it's time to move on.

I'm sure DuPaix would make a solid candidate. I haven't been a big fan of Poly's OCs in the past, but this year I can finally say that the coordinator played a huge role in our success. I would hope that he stays to expand on the foundation that we built this year, but I completely understand if he leaves.

You need time to see how he recruits. You need atleast 4 years so they are all his players playing, it is not fair to base a coaches success on a past coaches recruits.

Seawolf97
November 21st, 2007, 11:06 AM
You need time to see how he recruits. You need atleast 4 years so they are all his players playing, it is not fair to base a coaches success on a past coaches recruits.

Agreed you need at least 3 or 4 seasons before thr fruits of recruitment begin to show. It will be interesting to see if Southern Utah has another killer schedule in 2008 and test another new coach.

AZGrizFan
November 21st, 2007, 11:38 AM
How long was he there?

4 years as HC.
5 years total on the staff.

Using that information, I'd say he'd been given enough time....these were HIS kids in the program. Sucks, but that's life... xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx