PDA

View Full Version : SHSU's Best Back to Back Conference Finish in 20 Years

TexasTerror
November 20th, 2007, 08:16 PM
1986-1987 in fact...

First time in 20 years since the Kats finished 2nd or higher in their conference in back to back years...

1987 was pretty similar to 1997. Kats played (and beat) two Div II squads. Had a near miss on the road at a solid FCS foe, Montana St (52-48) and finished the season strong, winning five straight...

That 1984-1987 run was the best run in terms of W-L in Kats FCS history. 8-3, 8-3, 9-3 and 8-3. Two Gulf Star Conference titles and a second place SLC finish. Included the first playoff appearance by the Kats, who fell 48-7 at Arkansas State in 1986.

SHSU has had a very strong program in some years, very poor in others -- a pretty average program, if you ask me. Here's hoping SHSU can build some steam and continue solid performances in the SLC under Coach Whitten...

BEAR
November 20th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Being new to this whole placement thing, did UCA also finish second? UCA did beat SHSU but ended up losing one more game overall, but had identical conference records. How does this whole dumb process work? xrolleyesx

TexasTerror
November 20th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Being new to this whole placement thing, did UCA also finish second? UCA did beat SHSU but ended up losing one more game overall, but had identical conference records. How does this whole dumb process work? xrolleyesx

Tied for second...

It'd be like if you guys defeated McNeese, you would've tied for first based on your records being the same and both of you would claim being the conference champion (though, you'd be "co-champions").

It's how it works at every level -- never seen it any different...

BEAR
November 20th, 2007, 09:33 PM
I got it. So if you beat the first place team and you're in second place and you both end up with identical records, it's a tie. That situation is based on final conference standings. Not head to head. Same with second place. If you are in second place and the team in third is beat by you but ends up with an identical conference record, they are second also. xconfusedx
It's a system I guess. xcoffeex This conference sure loves ties. xlolx So my question is this. Why isn't the head to head thing used? I mean if two teams have an identical conference record and one beat the other, you would assume that the victory would give the team a slight edge. The SLC uses it to decide who gets the autobid, why not use it to determine final standings also? Not that it really matters as long as McNeese keeps winning it. xrulesx xlolx xlolx

Syntax Error
November 20th, 2007, 10:17 PM
the more teams can claim high spots keeps more people happy

TexasTerror
November 21st, 2007, 08:14 AM
the more teams can claim high spots keeps more people happy

You better believe it -- but ultimately, if your team is deserving of a playoff spot in the Division I playoffs, your going to get in...

Ties also change the schematics of the conference's Commish Cup for all-sports performance. SHSU was rooting for UCA to lose to McNeese so we'd gain an extra .5 points in the race for SHSU's fourth straight Commish Cup and second straight Men's All Sports Trophy...